Vets see Peterson’s potential around corner

Posted by Darren Urban on December 28, 2011 – 9:38 am

So rookie Patrick Peterson is a Pro Bowler in his first year. It’s as a return man, however, and has dynamic as he has been in that facet of the game, the Cardinals need him to be dynamic as a cornerback. He seems headed there, and, at least according to the Pro Bowler who plays beside him every day and the the Pro Bowler who must battle him in practice daily, they think he’ll be a Pro Bowler on defense at some point too.

“I’m very proud of Patrick,” safety Adrian Wilson said. “He’s a professional at a very young age. He’s eager to listen, he’s eager to learn. For a veteran like me, to have a young guy like that, it’s not only a testament to what the organization saw in him by drafting him that high, but also with him wanting to get better every day and not accept anything other than that. He practices hard, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. He’s out there like it’s game day. To see a young guy do that, I’m proud of him.

“During the course of the year, with everything that came with that draft status, I know he does well in special teams but he’s a pretty good corner too.”

Larry Fitzgerald said Peterson was “right there” as pushing for Pro Bowl talent. Fitz said he talked to Bengals rookie receiver A.J. Green after last weekend’s game and Green told him that Peterson was “by far” the best cornerback he had faced.

“I feel the same way when I compete against him,” Fitzgerald said. “There aren’t many guys around the league on Sundays that can match up with his physical tools. And his ball skills, his tackling, the only thing he needs is experience.”

Like Wilson, Fitzgerald is impressed with Peterson’s maturity. Don’t forget, Peterson doesn’t turn 22 until next July.

“The one thing about Patrick, since the day I met him, is the guy has the disposition of a 10-year vet,” Fitzgerald said. “He has a quiet confidence about him and a maturity that you’d expect from a guy in the league a lot longer. I am pretty sure he will go (to the Pro Bowl) and go above and beyond.

“I remember at that draft, and everyone was talking Von Miller-this and Von Miller-that, and he’s a fantastic player and Pro Bowler. But for Patrick this year, I think he’s been the best in the league (as a rookie) except for Cam Newton.”

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to “Vets see Peterson’s potential around corner”

1. By Jesse Robles on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Patrick is the Man, Hopefully the WHOLE TEAM gets better this off season. Next season, we need ZERO CARDINALS in the Pro Bowl, that is the Ultimate Goal! (But not like the Rams, Bills, or Titans though, Im talking Super Bowl. Super Bowl or BUST!)

2. By Alex on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Darren… This is off topic but what kind of Helmet does Kevin Kolb wear? A couple of us on ROTB were wondering if he’s in the 40% that wears and inadequate helmet and that’s why he’s concussion prone.

3. By carlo italy 7000 on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

dear darren,
    i read on twitter that jaymar johnson was cut…did they add a corner considering peterson injury?

4. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Alex –

RE: Kolb helmet

I have no idea, to be honest.

5. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Carlo –

RE: Moves

No moves have been announced yet.

6. By Mario on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Alex,

he wears Air XP from Schutt, I believe.
    I think Kerry Rhodes wears that too.

7. By BIG RED on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

All I can say is keep Coach Whiz for another 20 years. He deserves alot better treatment from all our fans. His out there doing his best we shouldn’t hang our heads down. Be Proud of the man “In Whiz we Trust”.

8. By kauaicardsfan on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Speaking of draft picks, any word on how Ryan Williams is progressing? I know if he didnt get hurt he would have compliment Benie and the run game big time!

Congrats to PP, He truly deserved getting in! Great to see the trio coming to my side of the world!!!

Houli Makahiki Hou Darren!

Aloha

9. By cards62 on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

So very good to hear that Peterson is doing so well. Seems that the first 7 picks in the draft are all doing well including Von Miller that a lot of us liked. I wanted Peterson and I am glad we drafted him. I hope Toler can come back strong next year, and I think Jefferson will be improved. Wilson, Rhodes, and Johnson at safety.
    I think our secondary is the most solid group on our team.

I hate that CC was not even named as an alternate for the pro bowl. I think his play is at a pro bowl level this year especially playing in a 3 – 4. Happy for Fitz., Wilson. Peterson, and DD.

Go Cards

10. By Darren Urban on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Kauai –

RE: Williams

He said the other day on twitter, (paraphrasing here) that he planned to have a big year in 2012. I take that as a good sign.

11. By SteveG on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

You did not paraphrase Darren, you translated to English!

(I follow that twit ;-)

12. By Dre1368 on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Good work pp21 we need that with a high pick come out firing next year bud you and toler should be a stout secondary both as tough and mean and both great against the run and pass

13. By David on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

Let’s hope Peterson returns two all the way to the end zone on Sunday. Send that cheater Pete Carroll back where he came from along with Seattle who isn’t near as good as their record indicates.

14. By brad oneill on Dec 28, 2011 | Reply

it has been fun as a fan to watch Peterson grow into his role. one of my all time favorite cardinals was Aeneas Williams because it seemed like he could shut down half the field. patrick isn’t there yet, but i see him becoming a very dangerous corner that has the opposing offense risking a td going the wrong way anytime they challenge him.

15. By Eazy E on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

All three of the dream cardinal draft picks had amazing rookie years. With the 5th pick, I wanted Cam first franchise qb, Von second because of the pass rush, and patrick because of obvious cb skills and great return skills. Cam obviously went 1st and Von went 2nd, but as long as we we’re getting patrick, I wouldn’t be upset and we got him.

2. May 23, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | Peterson 55th on top 100 list