• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Finishing the year with a sellout

Posted by Darren Urban on December 29, 2011 – 2:00 pm

The Cardinals officially have sold out Sunday’s finale against Seattle, meaning it will be televised locally (Fox) and making it 63 straight at University of Phoenix Stadium. There were many wondering about the sellout streak this season, especially with the early-season losses, but the Cards completed a sixth season of sellouts as they head into 2012.

A limited supply of tickets remains available for purchase, including in the lower level south end zone where additional seats have been installed for Monday’s Fiesta Bowl. The extra seats aren’t included when determining a sellout because they are there for a special circumstance.

Tags: , ,

26 Responses to “Finishing the year with a sellout”

1. By brad oneill on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

if there was ever a time for whiz to come out and thank the fans this is it. a team out of the playoffs with a dismal beginning playing a so so to crappy season finale where it is in the best interest of the club to lose probably shouldn’t be a sell out. but hey the fans have stuck with whiz and the cards and despite all their grumbling they still show up and cheer.

i know draft order is not a concern of the current team but how valuable is one or two draft spots when someone you need is up for grabs.

i really think it would be good for the league to base draft on losing record for first fourteen games of the season but on winning record for the last two.

ie bad teams can move up in draft by winning out at end instead of losing out.

2. By D on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Impressive. Cincy has a better team going to the playoffs and they couldn’t sell out Wells Fargo Arena

3. By MIKE G on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Hey Darren–Its great for the Bidwell’s to get these sellouts. I remember in the early 80′s — they had pretty good years in St Louis and fans would not come out. That really is a nice stadium and with a pretty good ball club I expect more sellouts in the future.
    Also it is great for Arizona to host future Super Bowls!!! Darren–Do you think in our lifetime –a team will ever play a Super Bowl on their own stadium??? – I hope Arizona????

4. By Craig Thompson on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I am certainly glad for the fools out there who have enough money to waste on this team and idiotic salaries like Kolbs. I watch every game without fail on TV, so when im disappointed as almost always the only thing im out is a few hours time and some aggravation that quickly subsides :)

5. By Mark on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

I think the sellout streak is never going to end no matter if the card’s lose cause the fan base is so dedicated to this team that they want to be a winning team and franchise like 2008. :) Go Cardinal’s

6. By Eric Hutchins on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Give it a rest Craig, the only thing idiotic is your whining about Kolbs Salary. It was the right move, it was what the market would have born for him, and I am also very confident that he remains the future QB of the Cardinals.

7. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Just as finishing 8-8 would be a major accomplishment for the Cardinals, would it be just as big of an accomplishment for the Eagles (7-8) to also finish 8-8 given their horrendous start? A lot of parallels between the two clubs (new defensive coordinators, starting QB injuries, calls for the head coaches to be fired).

8. By brythybo7 on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Craig, then you should probably find a team that never makes mistakes and always wins, and good luck doing that. Its called supporting your team, through thick and thin Was I happy about the Kolb trade? No not really, but Im no analyst. They saw something that the rest of us didnt, and I will support them no matter how bad the decision may seem.
    I would love to go to a Cardinals game but being a student in PA makes it quite expensive for me to do that. Someone want to buy me an airplane ticket and game ticket? :P

9. By Chrisitan on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Going to the Cards game this week?? Buy your Angry Cards shirt!!!!

10. By TucsonTim on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Do they announce the real attendance after the game?

11. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Ottis –

RE: Eagles

Too totally different situations, though. Many picked the Eagles to reach the Super Bowl.

12. By Darren Urban on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

TucsonTim –

RE: Attendance

As far as I know, every NFL team announces tickets sold.

13. By Scott H on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Interesting…that the Cardinals and their fans ( or, should I say their lack of fan support ) were always such a joke when Sun Devil Stadium would be about one third full for home games. Except, of course, when the Cowboys or another glamour team would visit and the place would be filled with THEIR fans. Seems like that ALWAYS got noticed. But now that we’ve got 6 seasons worth of consecutive home sell-outs in a stadium regarded as one of the best in all of pro sports…seems like that does not get noticed as much. Such is life for the Cardinals fan…

Craig, why watch the games if they’re so aggravating??? Ya know…for us Cardinals fans out here on the east coast – who have to go to a sports bar to see a Cardinals game – I suggest that you be a bit more appreciative of being able to see the games at all.

14. By cards62 on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Brad O. Good post. Interesting thoughts on the draft, and I agree with you that Coach Whisenhunt should thank the fans for their support the last 2 years.

I think it is impressive all the support the fans are giving the Arizona Cardinals especially in this economy.

Craig Craig Craig – Nothing like watching a game live. Television can not compare even if you are watching in the rain, or snow, or freezing weather, The roar of the crowd, the sounds of the game, and the excitement of watching a great play or great player or last second victory with a family member and 80,000 friends, nothing compares. I do remember several very pleasant conversations with my grown son about sporting events we attended together, but not one conversation about sporting events we watched on television. The fools are the ones sitting on their couches and the bright ones are the ones taking the chances and hoping to make some memories.

Go Cardinals!

15. By Vermont Maverick on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Totally off topic, but:

I think that the Cards should call the Seahawks and offer to trade first round picks – right now. Straight up. Both teams are 7-8, let’s make it so that the WINNER gets the better pick. Cards could pick anywhere from 9-18. That would make for a very interesting last game of the season, and no fan, player or management personnel, of either team, could be thinking about the benefits of losing. And imagine the message it would send, with all the talk shows deliberating the topic of it being advantageous to lose.

Just my thoughts. I’m getting down from my soapbox now.

16. By Peter in Canada on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

It is indeed a tribute to the Cards fan base. I feel that you will be rewarded next year for your support. Now for 8-8.

17. By Brian on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Remember the last time we went 8-8? The following season we went to the superbowl! :)

18. By John Rennecamp on Dec 29, 2011 | Reply

Any news on Calais Campbell’s new deal? Would he be franchised?

19. By R Robles on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

Darren so was Wilson’s hit legal? I havent heard of any fine’s towards him.

20. By Nor cal cards fan on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

What did Fitz say about his Dad’s tweet in regards to Doucet’s season?

21. By Card's Chick on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

Thank you Scott H! I couldn’t agree with you more. I would love the opportunity to go watch the game at the UoP! Unfortunately the cost of a trip to/from Georgia doesn’t allow it. So, I am satisfied to watch the Cardinal’s every Sunday because I have the NFL ticket. Unless they are playing the Falcons in Atlanta I am not able to see a game in person. I do not understand those who take being able to watch the game at home, at NO cost, for granted.

As for those who whine about frustration and aggravation…we ARE talking about football right? They ARE fondly referred to as the Cardiac Card’s right??? Can you be a REAL fan without experiencing frustration, disappointment, aggravation, etc? Isn’t that what makes winning all the more enjoyable???

smh

22. By Darren Urban on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

John Rennecamp –

RE: Campbell contract

I just talked to Calais the other day. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Peterson-Rehabs-With-Records-In-Sight/e3e6c1c0-afc2-4a34-908f-e95614f12a24

Nothing new right now.

23. By Darren Urban on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

R Robles –

RE: Wilson

Fine info comes out Fridays.

24. By Darren Urban on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

Nor Cal –

RE: Fitz reaction

To be honest, I didn’t think to ask him when I talked to him this week.

25. By TucsonTim on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

Actual gate

26. By Scott H on Dec 30, 2011 | Reply

Wait…someone else agreed with me again??? Thanks, Cards Chick! Greeting from a few states above you on the east coast. New Jersey, that is. Lived here all my life and been a Cardinals fan since I was 8 years old. Tell anyone out here that you’re a Cardinals fan and they automatically assume you are from either St Louis or Phoenix. It NEVER ceases to amaze people when you tell them you’ve lived right in the Eagles back yard all your life and became a Cardinals fan instead!