Seahawks aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on January 1, 2012 – 11:32 pm

There was frustration late in regulation after the Cards’ offense couldn’t generate any movement right before the two-minute warning. In three plays, the Cards couldn’t gain a first down and could only burn 12 seconds off the clock. The defense was exhausted.

But they huddled up and rallied. The Seahawks weren’t going to score again, not in regulation, and certainly not in overtime. That’s how the defense was the last half of the season. “I think we’re gonna be pretty good,” safety Adrian Wilson said.

There was no question the end of Sunday’s season finale win was about Larry Fitzgerald but it was also about that defense, overcoming two big plays against it – the 61-yard pass that beat Marshay Green and the 48-yard Leon Washington run, both for TDs. If they can secure defensive end Calais Campbell with a long-term contract (he will be around in 2012 regardless), if they can get another pass rusher to help out the linebacking corps, if they can get Greg Toler back healthy and re-sign Richard Marshall, you have to like where the defense is going – especially after seeing where it had been.

– I’m not going to go on and on about Larry Fitzgerald, even though I could. One catch for two yards in the first half, and then to finish 9-149? That one-handed catch in OT was amazing, but, being on the field and seeing that first 26-yarder he had in overtime, the one that looked impossible to grab in between two defenders, that was the kind of play that leaves you speechless.

“I see it every day in practice,” Wilson said. “That’s Fitz. It’s not uncommon for him to make a pinky catch or an over-the-shoulder, one-handed with people dragging all over him.”

– Fitz has now played the Seahawks 16 times in his career. His stats? 102 catches, 1,371 yards, 10 touchdowns.

– I was impressed Fitz admitted that, in the past, he would have sulked had he only had one catch in the first half. They can’t have that from him, and he knows it. Another reason they had no problem giving him the huge contract before the season.

– Quarterback John Skelton was asked about having a chance at being a starter in 2012. “I hope I do. That’s for the coaching staff to determine. … Kevin (Kolb) and I have a great relationship, we push each other and we always help each other out. We will see what happens.”

Whiz will be asked about it tomorrow, but I’m guessing Skelton will have a chance to fight for the job, while Kolb will be, officially, the No. 1 heading into the offseason.

– Skelton missed too many throws Sunday, his biggest bugaboo. You can’t miss the throws when they are there.

– The Cards finally got an interception on a well-designed scheme that made it easy for Marshall to make a pick. But if linebacker Daryl Washington had just been able to hang on for the one that would have prevented a field goal – “I was looking at the end zone,” Washington said. “I don’t even really want to even talk about it” – then maybe defensive coordinator Ray Horton wouldn’t be trying to focus on getting more turnovers this offseason.

– Washington played a really good game, however. He had 11 tackles, including a couple for loss.

– Cornerback Marshay Green gets in his first NFL game, and he’ll be remembered for getting on the wrong side of Ricardo Lockette’s catch. Green felt he got a little unlucky on the catch, and Lockette did make a nice play to concentrate on making a bobbling grab. Why Green? “We just wanted to make sure with Patrick (Peterson) he didn’t get tired and have fatigue with his Achilles (injury),” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “We had the extra corner up so we had a rotation.”

– Todd Heap and Chester Taylor each scored their first touchdowns as Cardinals in the final game of the season. Assuming Ryan Williams comes back as expected, I don’t see Taylor on the roster next season. Heap is signed and I’d think, in the end, he’ll be back, but I don’t think it’s a lock, depending on the progress of Rob Housler.

– Good to see Vonnie Holliday play well. I’d think they’d like Holliday back if he wants to come back. Great in the locker room. And as he noted himself, it looks like he’s got a little bit of football left in his 36-year-old body.

– Running back LaRod Stephens-Howling played a solid game, with 93 yards on 21 carries. He was effective at the very end plowing up the middle as the Cards set up field-goal range. At his size, he can’t do that all the time, but there were times during the season he looked like he passed up some chances because he wanted to bounce it outside.

– It got pretty chippy out there against Seattle and it looked like a playoff berth was on the line, not just 8-8. There were seven total personal fouls/15-yard penalties called in the game. “Division games, around the league, they are more physical than the rest,” said Cardinals tackle Levi Brown, who drew one of the flags when he shoved a Seattle player to the ground for tangling with Skelton after a play. “You see them twice a year. Once you see a team and those guys over and over, you learn to not really like those guys.”

OK. The Cards wrap up first thing in the morning. We’ll talk more then.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

69 Responses to “Seahawks aftermath”

1. By JohnfromOz on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

Still celebrating a 50/50 season?
    Still the feeling that to win half your games is somehow a plus?
    Yes, the improved performance in the second half of the year is fine – but the bitter truth is that although the Cardinals won half (assuming they win tomorrow) they will still have lost half.
    As I have stated here so often, winning half a season is mediocre. Keeping a coach who has lost half a season with a not too bad roster is a cop-out. Fans accepting the 50/50 win and loss situation as being “okay because we did better in the second half of the season” are fans who will never demand the very best from this team, and who will always accept second or even third best.
    To be truthful, only a few positives have come out of the season. Generally, performances, team and individual, have been accepted as near enough, thanks. Fitzgerald and Peterson have been the only real pluses to come out of the year, with perhaps Skelton starting to show return for trust shown in him.
    The coaching staff and administration should not have chased Kolb, should not have cut Ben Graham and should take full and sole responsibility for a poor return to fans.
    I know I am only a poor humble ignorant but I have followed, played, coached, umpired and been an administrator in many sports over 45 years. The rules and codes may differ, but the basics of sports administration, coaching, winning and losing remain the same. One basic is that winning half your games just doesn’t cut it. Accepting this is gutless and accepting mediocre performance. And the buck stops squarely at the foot of the coach.

2. By OLDude on Jan 1, 2012 | Reply

If you had said I would have said this 9 games ago I would have said you were crazy………..”I WISH THE SEASON WASN’T OVER” – Thanks for a surprisingly fun and rewarding season. Thank you too Darren for a reliable and professional blog. Is it July yet??

3. By Frustrated on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Nice coverage this season Darren. 2 questions: Was the long pass play broken coverage by the safety. It looked like he started to go back with Green also to double the wr. Regardless of that, the pass should have had an offensive pass interference call.

2. Fitz rules, but what are the chances that the team will bring in a speedster to help stretch the coverage and help Fitz?

4. By We Missed Q on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I am ok with Skelton getting a chance to compete for the #1. But he MUST improve his terrible accuracy and constant missing guys HIGH. He is gonna get Fitz killed.

Please let’s not start the “let’s get Todd Haley back” garbage. The only real success he had as a coach was with Warner, Fitz and Boldin. Unless they are coming back he won’t help us much. Plus all his players and coaching staff hated the guy, which speaks volumes.

Need to adress the 0-line in the offseason, and get another pass rusher.

5. By Phoenixraven1 on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Wish it wasn’t over! They made the second half of the season very fun for fans! Hopefully with some good signings and another solid draft we take the next step!

6. By Evan on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

On ESPN.com:

“Fitzgerald displayed his own brand of toughness, as multiple team sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that the Pro Bowl wideout was coughing up blood on the sidelines. Sources said Fitzgerald underwent an MRI following the game and another source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Fitzgerald suffered a bruised lung.”

Darren – Fitz seemed jovial in his post-game interview, but is he okay? See us picking up another big name receiver in free agency to take some heat off Fitz? Or, will we be more focused on the o-line during the draft? Are you disappointed we didn’t get Seattle’s 2012 home schedule (or is it a blessing in disguise)?

Also mentioned on ESPN: “Fitzgerald joined Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison as the only players to top 1,400 yards receiving in four seasons.” Stellar company.

7. By bluepitt on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

It looks like Daryl jacked his Knee in that pick!!!!lol

8. By bluepitt on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

This is what makes me sick!!
    “Calais is a hell of a player,” Holliday said. “It was tough. But I’ve been in that situation, I know what he’s doing, playing for a new contract. When you are in that situation, you want to be out there as much as you can. We talk about it all the time and I told him, ‘I know what you’re doing.

So admittedly they play harder for their millions when they have to!!!
    That just sickens me, so we will pay him the big bucks and then he will underachieve because he doesnt need to play for more $!!!
    That is what is wrong with this sport these days! No true love for the FANS or the GAME they play their hardest when wanting more $$$$ Not for the TEAM, FANS or love!!! (Excluding a select fiew players like A-Dub, Hyphen, and so on)

9. By Old Man Riva on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

The Jets sign Santonio Holmes to a long term contract and he turns into a quitter. We sign Larry Fitzgerald to a long term contract and he turns into SUPERMAN! Going from a 1-6 team being laughed at to a 7-2 team people are taking notice of is absolutely AWESOME! Pardon us if we have John Skelton instead of Tim Tebow (who finished the season better?). We have some great talent coming back next year coupled with an aggresive coaching staff. Things are looking up. GO BIG RED!

10. By WNYCARDFAN on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Well, was VERY glad to see them end on a win and to see them come back from the first half of the season. As a fan I know we have our ups and downs with getting mad etc… but I’ve always said “show me progress” and you can be a less than 500 team and I’ll still be somewhat happy. Well, they showed a LOT of progress and I think they’ll be strong(er) next year, esp on DEF. We get some healthy players and we’ll be doing well. I esp liked their run game getting more play. Really, I think the biggest thing is to get more consistency on OFFENSE. QB whoever, they need to get that side of the ball playing better. Skelton though not as accurate as I’d like, has shown improvement and can run and stay in pocket well. Kolb, we need to see more of him with the team playing better as it has. I’m not sold on either yet, still worried that either one of them won’t be good enough NFL QB to make the Offesne what it can be. But, time will tell.
    In the meantime, nice win, (can we stop winning in OT though so I don’t have a heartattack every week) and go Cards 2012.

11. By MIKE G on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren–Great win for the Card’s yesterday-and getting to 8-8 is a great achievement considering the way the season started out. It gives them something to build on for next season. Fitz certainly had a great game and was the leader on the field. Defense fought back and I thought Skelton did his thing when it was crunch time. Team is playing as a unit which is nice to see. Thought Hyphen did a nice job filling in for Beanie. Also thought Whiz had a very good year coaching bouncing back from last years disappointing season. He has only had one losing season in his 5 years here–nice achievement. Hey Darren–What did you think of our O-Line’s performance the 2nd half of the season????? I think they are coming on as a unit!!!

12. By cardsalltheway on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Excuses abound this season but it can’t be forgotten that the offense with “experienced” coaches a plenty got out-played by the inexperienced defense. Houston, I think we’ve got a problem! Now, will that matter in the draft? Probably not! Larry Fitz was spitting up blood and still played? It’s good to know we have doctor’s on his side for protection of the Card Org. Why can’t we see these things? I want to see Kolb’s turf-toe, Wilson’s bicep, etc…

13. By azfancolo on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Not a bad game to finish the season, but I do wish they would have closed it out instead of the seahags tying it up. Any ways not a bad season, seeing how we started a lot would and could haves, but overall nice finish and hopefully a great next season. Hey Darren any news yet on Fitz?

14. By clssylssy on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I’m so proud of my guys, who I knew all along had the ability to come through. This was all about team work and a testament to Coach Whisenhunt. The lockout hurt us badly and if we had that time probably would be playoff bound. But, next year! The Cardiac Cards are back. Good Job My Red Angry Birds…you soared and learned some lessons along the way I think.

15. By SteveG on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

The NFC west is no longer a “weak” division.

It’s going to be a slug fest from here on out.

Disappointing season that ended better than one could have thought 2 months ago.

SOOO looking forward to OTA’s and training camp.

Go Cards!

16. By KDubADub1324 on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Its not often that a fan could be happy about an 8-8 season. But after the 1-6 start, its something to be proud of. Get Kolb ingrained in the offense and healthy, patch up the tackle position, get Williams back to compliment Beanie, and this team will be a force next year. The defense will only get better, especially with an offseason to further master Horton’s scheme. They came around nicely over the last half of the season and deserve a good amount of the credit for the success the Cards had.

The 2012 season can’t get here soon enough!

17. By cards62 on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Fitz is in the zone. Shame no playoffs this year as I think Fitz would have put on a show again this year. Now I know what Spiderman would look like as a WR in the NFL.

Great job LSH. 21 carries I agree he can not do this every game, but I wish we would put the ball in his hands more than we do.

Really like that Horton is not happy with our defense and always looking for ways to improve.

Our QB play definitely improved in 2011 from 2010, but we must have better QB play in 2012.

Happy New Year all Cardinal Fans and I sure hope the Bidwills and Rod Graves have a great offseason for our club.

How many days until the draft?

Go Cardinals

18. By Darren Urban on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

JohnFromOz —

RE: Coach change

OK. We get it. You think Whiz should be fired. You have made that point many times.

Time to move on. Whisenhunt isn’t going anywhere, they just finished the season 7-2.

19. By Darren Urban on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Frustrated —

RE: Speedy receiver

I’m sure they will look at it. Will it be a top priority? Doubt that.

20. By Darren Urban on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

We Missed Q —

RE: Haley

Let’s get one thing straight: I can’t speak for KC, but here, not everyone “hated the guy.” Fitz would take Haley back in a second. I guarantee that.

21. By Darren Urban on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Evan —

RE: Fitz

You are hurting my feelings, saying you saw all this on ESPN when you could have gone straight to azcardinals.com.

Fitz is fine. Again, all you gotta do is read my stuff: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2012/01/02/news-and-notes-to-wrap-up-the-season/

22. By Darren Urban on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

bluepitt —

RE: Campbell

I think the point was that Campbell didn’t want to surrender snaps to Holliday to do what he needed to do. Not that he was playing any harder.

23. By Darren Urban on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: OLine

I think one of the biggest questions of the offseason is how will the offensive line shake out in 2012.

24. By Born n Bred on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

What a rollercoaster season. Finishing 8-8 is huge considering where we were at. Kudos to the coaching staff, front office, and mostly the character of these players.Dissapointing season but an OK Season..

Wow, i have to say that was by far the best playcalling all season. For probly the second time this season (Beanies record day was the other) this O went under center 70-80 percent of the time, opposed to being in the Gunn 70-80% of the time. Now i dont care if we pass the ball 40 times and run 20 times as long as you go under center. It atleast gives the D uncertanty in whats coming. Especially for D-line.

I wanted to pull my hair because when this staff does decide to go under center for a more conventional O, They sit Beanie. Now the Hypen asserted himself well, which im not surpised. It probly surpised this Coaching staff because no one besides Beanie could tote the rock in this O. I dont know why this staff thinks no one can run besides Beanie, so they dont use other RBs when certain runs dont appeal to Beanie. Its almost like saying, Well Fitz is double coveraged every play, lets just run and not use those other guys at his position.

Look i know i go on and on about this Offense in about everyone of my post. But there is a huge difference in, Being in the Gunn and being under center. When your in the gunn oohh all the time, that Dline is hungry and they are full go when a QB is back there looking ready to pass. Thats why are tackels are worst than they should be. Dont get me wrong, our tackles are horrible anyway but they wouldnt rank next to eachother in worst in pass pro if they hadnt been put in that position 70-80% every series. Also your run plays may work better because your giving off a more balance look. If your in the gunn all the time then all of a sudden go under center, you think that Dline knows whats coming. Cause i think they do.

People like to Hate on Russ Grimm but honestly does his friend and HC have his back. Never calls runs, Always in the Gunn putting his lineman at thier weakness. How bout Lyle Seindlin, a nobody that came off the streets in middle season to become our starting C these past 3 yrs or so and Grimm needs to be held accountable, For What??

25. By Eric on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

@ JohnfromOz

You are missing the point Mr. Sports admin expert. This team took themselves from 1-6, a place very hard if not impossible to dig out of in this league, and went 7-2, and the head coach was a very big part of that. I was one of the people that was wanting a change too, but watching him turn things around like he has, there is no way you can let him go. I agree there needs to be some changes made, particularly on the offensive side of the ball, but this team has responded well to adversity and to Whiz, and you don’t just wreck that and start over. Why do you think places like PIT and New England are so successful? One word, continuity. It is the most important aspect of a winning organization, and it starts with the coach.

Agree, 8-8 isn’t successful overall, but we were heading in the direction of 3-13. How about instead we ride this momentum into next year with a couple new O Tackles, a new WR, some depth at LB, a lot of healthy returns from Toler, both Williams kids, and perhaps a new OC? Or perhaps you could go join whatever team happens to be winning at the moment and share your “expertise” with them.

26. By Eric on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Thank you Cards for Gutting out every game this year and I look forward to your continued success next season. Lets take our NFC West division crown back! GO CARDS!!!!! Also, thank you Darren,again, for your excellent job this year! Happy New year!

27. By dieselbomb on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Had hoped for more this year. I dislike having to look at the season as “We pulled it out at the end”. But overall it was a noticeable improvement over the 2010 season. I figure we’re going to lose a few in 2012; but I see parity in the NFC West gelling before our eyes. I don’t think Frisco is a juggernaut. I don’t think they’ll go 13-3 in 2012 when the Cardinals and the Seahawks are improving the way they are. The hope of a better Cardinals team in 2012 has to share time with the reality that divisional opponents are going to be much tougher. We are going to be tougher right along with them. I’m seeing a trend AWAY from the “NFC Worst” toward a more competitive Divisional strength. I expect the Rams will lag behind for a season or two, but will also respond to bring overall parity in this division. Because of that parity the Cardinals are not likely to be able to make tremendous strides forward in obtaining quality personnel. Every game must be a serious effort. The Cards can’t whiff on any aspect of their game in 2012. They can’t afford to be anything but awake, aware and assertive.

28. By JIMMY on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I think in the end no matter what many people say are coach knows exactly what hes doing, in the begennig of the season when the birds were loosing like crazy, it was pretty ugly many wanted ken to be fired, but in the end ken did exactly what had to be done to teach this young team to win, yes it takes time to develop young players, very few are as gifted as Perterson and even with his talent you still go throug growing panes in the end Peterson played very good with the experience he obtained week by week, I remember reading many fans saying put in Acho and Ob the young guns, but hey like i said it takes time and thats where vets like haggans,dockett,lenon,holliday,rhodes,adrian wilson come in, maybe there not as young but they know what it takea to win and thas very important in critical situations specially when they where loosing and loosing week by week, maybe other teams with no experienced leadesrs would just give up like what hapenned with the BUCCANERS this year, but in the end things worked out pretty good and it semms like the young players guns have learned very important lessons that will hopefully turn in to more wins next year with just at least 2 more will be 10-6……Go Cards!

29. By TucsonTim on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

I was still out of the country and missed the game. When you critized Skelton for missing throws, were they like the Kolb to Housler throws? Just wondering.

30. By Darren Urban on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

TucsonTim —

RE: Question

I really wish we could get a sarcasm meter for you, Tim. Because while you may very well be asking honest questions, they just don’t come across that way.

31. By rio on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

TO JOHNFRONT OZ:
    45 YEARS EXPERIENCE , YOUR COMMENT DOESN’T MAKE SENSE.

32. By Scott H on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Wow…7-2 over the last 9 games. Geez…what could have been if they had played better from the beginning. But I’m not getting caught up on that. When they were 1-6, I was wishing we could just pull the plug and be done with it. But like many others are saying now, I wish they could keep playing.

Here and now, I will humble myself and take back my earlier declarations that Whiz should be fired at the end of the season. While I don’t think that was such a completely ridiculous notion at the time, the team certainly did turn themselves around and the head coach has to have a lot to do with that. Therefore, I believe I was wrong in my assessment of where this team needed to go going forward.

33. By TucsonTim on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Oh I can assure you that I’m as serious as my multi-thousand dollar season ticket contract. Did you miss those wide open touch down throws to Housler? Why are are you so sold on Kolb? What did he show you to make such a supporter?

34. By TucsonTim on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

And seriously, I didn’t see the game. Did he miss wide open receivers for easy touchtowns?

35. By Darren Urban on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

TucsonTim —

RE: Seeing the game

Oh, I believed you didn’t see the game. But I was also right in that you really don’t care about what I saw. You care about the Kolb situation. Which is fine.

I don’t see myself as some big Kolb supporter. I think these are the options right now. Shockingly, I don’t support complete willy-nilly roster management. You can’t just bring a new QB in year after year. No one assimilates that fast. Is Kolb the answer? I don’t think we know that yet. You obviously think you do. Again, fine. I think, for sustained success, Kolb is a better answer than Skelton right now. People can disagree with me. What any of us think doesn’t matter anyway. I like John a lot and I’d like to see how he develops. But I think Kolb will be better with an offseason and, more importantly, better defense when he isn’t on the field. I could be wrong.

36. By Eric on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

@tucsontim you’re great at being a smart ass, but that’s about it. Maybe you should actually watch a game before you criticize. Almost every throw Skelton makes is high, and he is overall more inaccurate than Kolb is. If your going to judge someone before they even have a real chance to prove what they can do, your not real bright. Continuity is the key to success and a QB carousel ISN’T going to make anything better. Skeleton had the benefit of an entire year in the offense, unlike Kolb. While I like both, anyone truly engaged in the game can see the edge clearly still belongs to Kolb. I’ll reserve judgment after he truly has time to assimilate into this team.

I too hold several season tickets, and have since the team was in STL, and still have my boyhood Lomax jersey. I want nothing but success for this team and also demand nothing but the best product that can possibly be put out on the field, but also realize if I was as smart as Graves and Whiz, I’d be a coach as well, so I’ll have a strong opinion, but the the rest to the true experts.

37. By KDubADub1324 on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

@TucsonTim

“multi-thousand dollar season ticket contract”….”out of the country”.. LOL. Ok big guy, Interesting how your main concern from the game was if open receivers were missed. That says enough. I’ll leave it at that…..

Anyway, I agree, Kolb will be the starter next year. It’s next season, or never for him. The only thing that will cost him the job is injury. If he messes up the opportunity next year, than I think its fair at that time to say he’s not the guy and that another direction should be sought; perhaps Skelton. Skelton has strong potential, but he needs more experience and improvement before he can be committed to. The same could be said for Kolb, but AZ committed to him first, and they did it for a reason. The Cards are not stupid. They see what Kolb CAN be and they know that the situation this year for him was not reasonable to judge him by, or to even make an assessment on. If anything, he was average, not worse, not better. And I think that’s fine given the lockout and the fact that he and skelton played w/two different defenses this year. It was basically a lost year for him. but he still remains a question mark. People argue that Skelton should be the starter because he “wins games.” First of all, no he doesn’t. Guys like Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Roethlisberger do. Second, the second half of the season was successful because of the defense, pat Peterson, Fitzgerald, and some of the running game. For those who think Skelton “won” those games display the short-sightedness that may fans possess. To be fair, Skelton deserves some credit, but not the glory that he’s gotten from you fans. There is not one football analyst/expert out there that will tell you that Skelton should be the man next year. The best you’ll hear about Skelton is that he deserves a shot at that job, not that actual job itself. There’s a difference

38. By Scott H on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

KDubADub1324

RE: Short-sightedness

OK…so, anyone who thinks Skelton “won” any of these games is short-sighted…but if YOU believe that Skelton had nothing to do with these wins and it was everything / everyone else who gets the credit, YOUR vision is perfect. Yes? Interesting…

C’mon, folks…can we recognize a reasonable middle ground here where we realize that while Skelton did not win these games by himself ( which he did not ), he WAS the guy who had the ball in his hands for every offensive snap for most of them? More often than not, THAT GUY usually has SOMETHING to do with the outcome of a game. It’s not ALL one way or ALL the other.

Spare us with bringing guys like Brees, Manning, Brady, Rodgers, etc into a discussion of John Skelton and where HE is in his development right now. But since you brought that up, let’s also recognize that all of these QB’s are well-established in systems that their teams utlize. There is a lot to be said for these systems. Don’t think so? Consider this – Aaron Rodgers may soon be recognized as the best QB to EVER play this game. For 15 games this season, he played at a level of near perfection. Yet, in Week 16, their back-up QB came in and passed for almost 500 yards and threw 6 TD’s – a better day that Rodgers has ever had. So…you tell me – is this the function of a well-established system that the Packers use or has Matt Flynn been a better QB than Rodgers all along?

As you say, Skelton has strong potential , needs more experience. In that respect, he’s no different that any QB to ever play this game. Let’s leave it at that.

39. By JohnfromOz on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Tell you all what – if this team manages better than 9 wins in 2012 I will be the first to acknowledge that I was wrong.
    I still believe that accepting a 50% winning percentage – no matter what the sport or at what level it plays – is accepting a mediocre performance given where this particular team has been in the recent past.
    Time will tell.

40. By BIG RED on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

He might not have won the games, but he didn’t lose the games either. So, all you experts give the guy some credit, who are you to say. Skelton was drafted by the team, which I think we should back up this kid more. Or are we gonna be like the Yankees and pay millions for outsiders! I’ll bet my mother-in-law against your mother-in-law that Skelton wins the starting QB next year.

41. By tom watson on Jan 2, 2012 | Reply

Darren just a commit to you, why do you always point out the skelton’s kids faults, never giving him credit yet when Kolb was loosing games it was the defenses fault. Never was Kolb missing receivers or making bad plays. You point out the stats and they are pretty even. Except that one makes over 60 million. Good return for your buck.

42. By bluepitt on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I under stand that part of it Darren, But Ive seen it to much, Calvin, did nutn for years contract year he is a beast then goes to the jets, smith does nutn for years, contract year beast then goes to the texans…. I can go on and on. I just wish he didnt have to say “contract” Why wasent i,t that he is such a bad A$$ he didnt want to leave even if the game ment squat!!!!!

And On Kolb,
    We all know I dont like him or his glass Jaw, but in his corner is the simple fact that he had NY,BAL, WASH, SEA, all by the nads and our D let them off the hook!!! So take our 8-8 deduct 4 losses add 4 wins that is a 12-4 record….
    Just sayin!!!

43. By JohnfromOz on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Rio
    Yes – 45 years altogether as a participant, coach, umpire and administrator – cricket, Aussie Rules football, volleyball, badminton, golf, tennis, netball, squash, tenpin bowling. This has been at school, local, district, regional and State level. I guess that it doesn’t make sense if you haven’t done it.

44. By Sean on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

How is it that after several years of watching Fitz make circus catches that he can still make my jaw drop (twice) on game day?

That guy is nothing short of amazing. Thanks for a great season Fitz and for making me yell “Did you freakin’ see that?” several times this year.

45. By Kevin S on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

John from Oz —

If you have truly been a player, coach, umpire, & administrator in many sports for 45 years, I hope no one close to me has ever had to play on one of your teams because it seems from your posts that you are a perpetual pessimist.

I haven’t heard anyone post here that they are “satisfied” with being 8-8. What I hear people saying is that they are happy to be 8-8 considering that we were 1-6. It is definitely a positive thing to finish 7-2. At the start of the year, the fans weren’t hoping for 8-8 — they were hoping for a division title; it wasn’t to be, but considering where we started, there is definitely cause for optimism.

Most fans overestimate their own team. It is human nature because these are the players we see every day and we grow to know and love them. (As an example I offer LSH, whom I am seeing many people say here is a “must” re-sign. I like LSH as much as the next guy, but the fact is he and the Cards were pretty average in the KO return department this year, and other than that he averages around 2 rushes and one reception a game. Yes, he makes an occasional impact play — e.g., the TD reception to end the DAL game this year — and he played well as the backup RB taking over for Wells against SEA, but considering we’ll have Ryan Williams along with Wells next year, we shouldn’t need him for that. He’s deservedly a fan favorite but hardly a “must have” player.)

Only 6 other teams in the NFL improved by 3 games or more this year. The one that improved the most was unfortunately in our division, although most people had been picking them to win our division for a couple years. Several of the others were recognized as up-and-coming teams (DET, for example, was a trendy pick to beat out GB for the div title, or at least make the playoffs, after finishing strong last year; and many people expected HOU to be significantly better than 6-10). One of the teams was CAR which only won 2 games last year and got to 6. Their fans shouldn’t be “satisfied” either but they should be happy that with Newton their team is on the rise.

If you want an objective view of things, I suggest looking at the over-under lines in Vegas. The Cards’ line this year was set at 6.5 wins. Again, not saying that people should be satisfied with anything above that, but the fact is that, coming off a 5-11 year, without an established QB who knew the system, and then getting a lockout-shortened camp, the Cards did better than was objectively expected by people who make lots of money establishing those lines. So I’d say the coaching was pretty good.

46. By Kevin S on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Also, Fitz and Peterson are the only real pluses out of the year? Beanie rushing for over 1000 yards despite missing 2 games doesn’t count? Were you not paying attention to the further emergence of Daryl Washington, or does that not count? I could go on, but why bother. If Fitz and Peterson are the only real pluses, then considering how many minuses we have, you’d have to say Whiz is a genius for getting this team to 8-8. And I know you don’t want to say that.

47. By Darren Urban on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Tom Watson —

RE: Comparisons

I don’t know if I never pointed out Kolb’s issues. I do think sometimes I point out Skelton’s faults because it seems like so many are blind that he has any, because they just want to point to the wins, and that’s not the only way a QB is going to be judged or analyzed.

Obviously, Skelton played well enough to win most of his games. I love his arm and his mentality. I love how mobile he is considering his size, and yes, in the regard to extending plays, I see a little bit of Ben R. But until he can consistently complete passes, and consistently avoid poor-choice interceptions, those are holes in his game.

48. By clssylssy on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

I wish the negative whiners on this blog would look around the league at all the teams that finished with worse stats than ours…or ended in the .500 club, one of which even ended as a Division winner at that,and playoff bound (stinkin Donkeys). The Jets,Broncos, Chargers,Raiders, Eagles, Cowboys and Bears all ended at .500. And there was a LONGER LIST that fared even worse than we did including the Phins,Bills, Browns, Jags, Chiefs,Redskins, Vikes, Panthers, Bears, Seahawks,Rams, and COLTS. This was not a normal season, teams were plagued with injuries and suspensions more than ever before. The thing that set the Cards apart from the other teams in the .500 club was it’s overcoming adversity by coming together and working as a team to dig itself out of the hole it was in, achieving growth,as a tea instead of getting on a pity pot and stagnating. We have some great teachers and leaders within our team and next year these red birds will be back strong.I LOVE THESE GUYS and hope the haters will use the off season to find a new place to hangout….I suggest the 49ers…Oh, that’s right…we beat them too! Not too shabby:) As far as it goes for John, the Red Baron, Skelton, we were lucky to have a backup capable of stepping up and getting the job done. Looks like he a KK are collaborating towards a common goal which is good for the Cards but manybe not for the haters.

49. By tom watson on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Darren, Thanks for very good answer. Keep up good work.

50. By Chad on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Darren, if it makes you feel better, I don’t even look at ESPN anymore. Just your stuff. People always wonder how I have such good Cardinals information, and I tell ‘em the blog. ESPN is great for trivial, repetitive, superficial cover of a team (which is basically all I want for teams like the Cowboys or Jets). But azcardinals.com (and @Cardschatter) is the best place for immediate, relevant Cardinals news.

(Editor’s Note: I’m Darren Urban, and I approved this message. :) I promise it wasn’t planted.)

51. By JohnfromOz on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the feedback, Kevin S.
    I am not a pessimist, but rather a realist!
    I know that where I come from, coaches (and very popular players) have been given the boot for a far worse record that the Cardinals’winning record this season.
    I know that teams can improve as a season progresses. The Aussie Rules team I have supported all my life did just that in 2007. They lost most of their first five games, and were in crisis. They ended up winning the Premiership by a record margin. They did so because the coach and the players worked as a team and decided that they would not accept anything except their best – they demanded excellence and did not tolerate anything less. They have since become a benchmark for the competition – have won three of the past five Premierships, been in the finals (playoffs) every year and were runners up once. From 2007 – 2011 they won 87% of their games during regular season and in finals. What did they do the season they were runners up? Out with the coach! Bottom line – they were not satisfied with being good – they wanted to be great. Is that not what you and other Cardinals fans want?

52. By Mike in Mesa on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Its amazing to me everyone is ready to give the credit to Fitz and the defense for the wins but Skelton is just along for the ride. Darren some of you have blinders on the other way. I saw at least four passes that should have been caught that weren’t. And yet you still blame Skelton. Fitz dropped at least one that hit him in the hands. Ditto for Roberts and Housler had one hit him in the body because he wasn’t looking. I’d be curious to see the stats because it seems like Fitz has dropped some passes in the last few games that he should have caught. Easy passes. Seems like he catches the harder ones no problem. If he got 149 yards in the second half last game, how come everyone wants to avoid giving Skelton any credit for putting passes in coverage were only superman Fitz can catch them? I’ve thought Skelton was better since last year. For a rookie to have the poise to come back and beat Dallas last year showed me something. And he’s doing it a again this year. I predict next year they start Kolb to justify the trade and money spent and after a losing record or injuries we’ll be seeing Skelton again. I also am hoping for the pickup of a speed receiver to take advantage of Skeltons cannon of an arm. I’m still of the opinion that injuries not coaching decisions led to their 8-8 season this year. If Kolb and the starting defense had stayed healthy we’d probably be 4-12. Because it was the young bucks who saved the season. Isn’t that kind of what Wolf was saying in some of your broadcasts with him and Calvisi.

53. By BIG RED on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa I totally agree with you. All those passes that they drop, even the great one (Fitz). You would never see Fitz drop so many passes from Warner, I guess Young Skelton must have a cannon of an arm. Sure he caught some amazing catches and I give him all the credit in the world, but lets face it we do have something special in Skelton and coach Whiz knows it. Its not only kolb that needs to work with the team during the summer. Give Skelton his dues. Even the damm arizona republic doesn’t give any credit to Skelton on the monday paper. Sommers your one of them.

54. By KDubADub1324 on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

@Scott H

Never said my vision is perfect. Read my post and you’ll see that. I never said that Skelton had nothing to do with the Cardinals success in the 2nd half of the season. I said he does deserve some credit, but not ALL the glory (as many are quick to give him.) Again, read my post. I mentioned guys like Brady and Rodgers to display examples of guys who can WIN games, and that can do it by putting the rest of the team on their back, which Skelton has not demonstrated at this point. The wins for AZ this season were team efforts. Different players making plays (especially PP). If anything, Skelton made enough mistakes to cost AZ games, but to his credit he was able to clean those up with making plays when they were needed, like Tebow (but I think Skelton is better. LOL). To me, that’s not winning games. People are quick to pin the wins solely on Skelton, which I believe is short-sighted because if you do that, you’re not looking at the bigger picture as to what contributed to the wins and you’re not able to make an accurate of an assessment that could be made. Even in the Carolina and Dallas games, I don’t totally credit Kolb with the win.

In the end, I just want AZ to win. But I’d rather have the better QB at the helm to help their chances. I’m not a Skelton hater or Kolb supporter (my fault for coming off that way) but in my opinion Kolbs the better QB based on what I’ve seen from him in his career. Even if there is a QB competition, I think Kolb wins the job. Injury will be his only setback. Again MY opinion…

Based on your comment on the newest blog “Breaking down the Roster”, I’m done commenting/replying to your posts. You not paying attention says enough. However, you are a Cards fan. Much respect

55. By Amy Walsh on Jan 3, 2012 | Reply

Hello everybody! I would like to respond kindly to JohnfromOz’s post from 1/1/12. Let me start by saying I have never coached or played the game of football and feel that unless you are willing to lay down your credentials and history, it does little good bringing them to the table. That being said, I am a woman and have found a recent passion for the game thanks to my husband James. I would like to point out that what makes a great coach in not just the ability to mold a great team, but to inspire every one of your players, every time they play for you. You must have a good relationship built on trust. This will not come from exhibiting a negative attitude such as the one in the above refered to post. You can tell these things do exist between Coach Wiz and his players! We have seen great improvement in our team this year given this season’s new starting players, and look for ward to them melding together to become a great team in the next season! It is a shame to say that the only good things to come out of this season is Fitz and Peterson. While there is no doubt that they are fantastic players, a team can’t win with one or two players. I would also like to recognize other players such as Washington, Dockett, Campbell, and Heap just to name a few. Sir, I would like to point out that fans are fans to the end. We support our team because we love the thrill of the game and we love seeing them come together in such a way to form that “well oiled machine” that we all want to be a part of supporting. I agree we have a way to go to get to perfection, but I love my Cards! I am and always will be a fan! Even when it may be difficult to be one! Thank you!

56. By bluepitt on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Well I for one dont give wins to fitz… Sure he has amazing hands and great timing. But if you take any 1,000 yard WR in the NFL and straight out target him on 3 out of 4 plays every other series, he will have great highlights and will end up with 1,200 to 1,400 yards as well. That is one of our problems, I have seen the Cards waste several downs just trying to get the ball to Fitz. I know all those sweet highlights keep every one on Fitz’s jock, but the truth is just that…. the truth, I see whiz schemeing every way to get fitz the ball, But our running game has no scheme. funny how that works. You have players picking the D to get lary open, but you send wells up the gut every time with no blocking scheme in place. Proof is simple.. we only got to see Wells run from the gun in one game and he did it well. Then it was gone…. up the gut once more.. Just saying. And no Im not atacking Fitz he has played 2 complete games this year in my opinion.. once again “opinion” In those games he didnt go down after the catch and refused to loose.. Like Q alwayse did every game..
    Till next season Darren take care and God Bless.

57. By clssylssy on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

JohnfromzOz:
    You obviously aren’t from around here (the US) and so your frame of reference is …irrelevant…apples and oranges, as they say. We had something in the states last season referred to as the LOCKOUT that impacted the majority of the teams in the NFL. This was corporate politics, something else you may not be familiar with, but a product of free enterprise…has nothing to do with a teams standards for excellence . The Cards proved their dissatisfaction with their early performances but going out and getting better to finish with an 8-8 season, which, is considered acceptable considering the circumstances. The Bengals had one more win than we did and ended up ranked in the top 10…go figure that, and Denver, with the same record is playoff bound! As for the QB “controversy”,in GB,Rogers was highly praised when sitting out and collaborating with Matt Flynn to win against the Lions and I saw KK doing the same with JS. It would seem that the “controversy” with the QBs is something being manufactured by some small minded individuals tr who have nothing relevant to contribute! No, this hasn’t been a regular season for anybody but we can be proud of our team for their growth and passion for the game that shined through. NOW, Someboy PLease drop a house on this fool and silence the negativity!

58. By Sean on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

@ Mike in Mesa

” I predict next year they start Kolb to justify the trade and money spent and after a losing record or injuries we’ll be seeing Skelton again.”

Since Whiz has been coach, there has been zero evidence of that sort of thing. The best player plays. See Leinert vs. Warner if you need a decent example.

59. By Eric on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

@ Amy Walsh and cissy,
    I smile at the fact the the two most common sense comments on here are made by women, one admittedly new to the game, and the other never having played it to point out the obvious, WE LOVE OUR TEAM!! Even after the fact some of you guys are trying to get over analytical in ” what needs to change”, and another blow hard that thinks because he was an accountant for a sport completely different from the game we are talking about here, as soon as we don’t win the Super Bowl, we should %*#^ can the whole staff and start over, quite possibly the dumbest approach I’ve heard yet.

I think we all agree, having two QB’S to choose from is quite a luxury now days in this league, and clearly Whiz will, as he always has, put the best players on the field. I’m glad he has relaxed his policy of not playing rookies right away, clearly something that sparked this defense. The impossible task at hand is no matter who plays, Kolb or Skelton, somebody will always find some reason that the other guy should be playing.

As I have said before, when you look at the successful teams they may have different systems and philosophies, but they all have one thing in common, a continuity in their staff. Year in and year out, players are being coached by the same men and instead of learning new schemes and systems year in and year out, they are able to master the one they have been given year after year. It adds a stability that is the most important factor in any success that happens. ALL THE GREAT TEAMS SHARE THIS.

So John from oz, you couldn’t be further off base if you tried on this one pal, please stick to badminton and squash, your probably better off, and for the rest of you TRUE CARDS FANS, this year has been crazy, but very exciting, and I absolutely see a very bright future for this team and it has been a pleasure sharing it with all of you.

With the 13th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select Johnathan Martin, Offensive Tackle, Stanford…

60. By Mike in Mesa on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Sean your kidding right. Zero evidence? We had ample evidence of it this year. As for Leinart vs. Warner, Warner was on the bench til Leinert got hurt. Much as the better players were on the bench this year. Whisenhunt has a no rookie starting policy even when the better player is the rookie. Dan Williams last year came into camp a little overweight and sat half the season with a lesser player starting. Campbell and Washington all had lesser players playing ahead of them. An overweight Lutui has lesser players playing ahead of him. Acho had a lesser player starting ahead of him. Housler in my opinion is the best TE on the team and Heap and King get more time. Williams and Sampson all have the potential to be good receivers, yet mistake prone Roberts gets the playing time. We’ll never get to see their potential unless injuries somehow force it. Alfonso Smith looked great in preseason, yet it has been retread Chester Taylor who gets the playing time. So don’t give me this zero evidence thing. There’s plenty of evidence. So try to answer this question truthfully, if Kolb, Rhodes, Porter, Toler don’t get hurt what do you think their record is? We already had Whisenhunt talking preseason about bringing Petersen in as 3rd CB in certain packages until Toler got hurt. I would be willing to bet that Kolb starts next season to justify his acquisition. No one from owners to GMs to coaches want to admit to a multi million dollar mistake. Of course I am open to the possibility that Kolb might prove me wrong next year. He did have one or two good games this year it seemed. But I don’t know what happened because then the running for his life raised its ugly head. I think it was after that big hit he took, was it in the second game, that everyone was bragging about he took for the team. Skelton is way ahead of Kolb in the poise and durability dept. He seems to have had that from day one. I’m curious as to how many other teams out there Darren would like to have a QB with an 6-2 record or 8-4 how ever you want to look at it? Lets get your opinion on another question also. How many other starting qbs in the league would you take ahead of Skelton? What number would you rate him at compared to all the others?

61. By bluepitt on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

@ Sean… Best player? Anderson VS Ol Matty… Im sure Matt was way better than Anderson…..lol You are saying just the opposite in your post.. Playing Kolb because of $$$$$, not because he is the best player….hahahahahahaha

62. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Mike in Mesa —

RE: Other QBs

Here’s how I would answer that question: My goal is to make a Super Bowl. That’s what you need your quarterback to be able to do. There are only a handful of QBs I put in that range (or with the potential to do so).

But really, it’s a moot point. What does it matter if I think, for example, Skelton is better than Alex Smith, or vise versa? (I don’t know the answer; I don’t see Smith enough to make that judgment). Alex Smith isn’t coming here. Right now, I think Skelton would be in the middle-to-lower in the pack. It’s all about perspective. I would rather have Skelton over Tavaris Jackson, for instance, but I would bet most in Seattle would take Jackson over Skelton.

63. By Sean on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

@ Mike in Mesa.

“Sean your kidding right. Zero evidence? We had ample evidence of it this year. As for Leinart vs. Warner, Warner was on the bench til Leinert got hurt.”
    That isnt entirely accurate. It is in part true that Warner took over after Leinert was injured, but then in open competition in Flagstaff during the following off-season, Warner TOOK that job from a healthy Leinert and the rest is history.

“Much as the better players were on the bench this year. Whisenhunt has a no rookie starting policy even when the better player is the rookie. Dan Williams last year came into camp a little overweight and sat half the season with a lesser player starting. Campbell and Washington all had lesser players playing ahead of them. An overweight Lutui has lesser players playing ahead of him. Acho had a lesser player starting ahead of him. Housler in my opinion is the best TE on the team and Heap and King get more time. Williams and Sampson all have the potential to be good receivers, yet mistake prone Roberts gets the playing time. We’ll never get to see their potential unless injuries somehow force it.”

You make some good points here, but I think that we may be talking about a couple of different things. Some of these players were rookies and were simply not ready to play in the new offensive system. Better players? Yes. Ready? No. They did become ready, however. I agree with you on all of your player evaluation points here, but the key word you use here is “potential”. As in “Potentially if you win the powerball you will be a millionaire, but ACTUALLY at this time, you are still a working schlub”. It is my humble opinion, taken only from listening to Whiz’ pressers that he plays players who are ready to play unless he has no other choice. Again, I think we agree on most of this point. Well said on your part, by the way.

“Alfonso Smith looked great in preseason, yet it has been retread Chester Taylor who gets the playing time.”

Couldnt agree with you more. I didnt get that decision either and attributed it to pass protection ability, which Taylor supposedly excels in.

“So try to answer this question truthfully, if Kolb, Rhodes, Porter, Toler don’t get hurt what do you think their record is?”

9-7. Kerry Rhodes takes one to the house against one of those teams who barely beat us.

“I would be willing to bet that Kolb starts next season to justify his acquisition. No one from owners to GMs to coaches want to admit to a multi million dollar mistake. Of course I am open to the possibility that Kolb might prove me wrong next year. ”

That is your opinion and I do not agree at all. I could NOT be a fan of a team that was run by people who made idiotic decisions like that and do not believe it to be the case. We can agree to disagree on that one.

“Lets get your opinion on another question also. How many other starting qbs in the league would you take ahead of Skelton? What number would you rate him at compared to all the others?”

I like Skelton a lot. I think that Kolb is slightly better at this point, but even if I liked tthem the same (which statistically, they are) that is quite a statement given a new offense and little to no off-season. Barring a recurring concussion problem, I suspect we will see Kolb eclipse Skelton. That is not a shot at Skelton either. If I am correct in this, everyone will be thrilled.
    To answer your Q direclty, I like 16 current starting QB’s in the NFL better than Skelton. You know their names (Manning, Brees, Brady, Manning, Rivers, etc). In time, Skelton could be better than many of them. I hope so. But as Darren Urban points out, it really doesnt matter. We dont have a shot at them (well, who knows…Peyton Manning in a RedBirds uni? A brother can dream…)

Thanks for a well-formed response!

@bluepitt Re-read my post.

64. By bluepitt on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

@sean,
    hahaha lol, I get it….I still say matty was a better choice than Anderson.

65. By JohnfromOz on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

Good to see some passion – hope that it does not peter out.
    Glad too to see that some good old-fashioned Aussie sh**stirring got some nibbles.
    May be some hope for this team after all.

66. By Scott H on Jan 4, 2012 | Reply

KDubADub-

I was appreciating your response…until the end. Trust me, bro, I’m paying attention. I asked Darren a question about ONE player who I had kinda lost track of. If that puts me on your pay-no-mind list, then I guess life will just have to go on. My posts – especially questions directed to Darren – are not submitted for your approval.

That being said, your taking the time to respond is appreciated. And much respect to you as well for being a Cardinals fan.

67. By Scott H on Jan 5, 2012 | Reply

hey, Marshawn – Nice crack!

68. By Eazy E on Feb 8, 2012 | Reply

My goodness what a game! Skelton had another sketchy kind of game. 22-40, 271 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT. He does have to be more accurate on a more consistent basis. Larod ran very well, 21 carries for 93 yards. Chester actually scored the rushing TD in the red zone though. Skelton did have some key runs too, getting 5 carries for 19 yards. Larry Fitz had an awesome game even coughing up blood DAMN!!! 9 catches for 149 yards against that awesome young secondary WOW. Heap got his first TD as a cardinal which is cool. Housler made a couple catches but had that fumble ugh! O-Line did a pretty good job overall, only allowing a total of 2 sacks and did a fairly good job opening up holes for Larod and crew. D-Line especially Dockett and Vonnie beasted. Dockett had 5 tackles and a sack and Vonnie had 5 tackles and I believe a couple for loss. LBs played really well overall, starting with Daryl with 12 tackles and a sack. Haggans and Acho each had a sack and Acho added a FF. Secondary had a nice game. Richard got a pick and they as a secondary made some plays and covered well even Marshay because on the Lockette TD, he bobbled it when Marshay deflected it and he corraled it after the bobble and scored, sometimes you have to give the guy credit for an unbelievable play. Jay Feely continued his clutchness with another game winning FG and that is 2 for the year. Ohhh Pat! Almost a TD, he said he was stumbling a bit when the punter Ryan shoestring tackled him. 8-8 ain’t what they/we wanted but it is a hell of alot better than 3-13,4-12,or 5-11.

2. Feb 15, 2012: Word From the Birds BlogWinding through the free-agent road «