• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

A lot of talk, but nothing concrete

Posted by Darren Urban on January 9, 2012 – 5:12 pm

One of the things about the offseason, and instant social media, is that news can break quickly — and events can also seem to play out very, very slowly.

Take the Todd Haley-returning-to-the-Cardinals discussion, which reached the public late last week but is now in an apparent holding pattern. (I won’t lie; things around this building always seem like they are going slower when the coaching staff is out, which they will be this week.) Haley, according to multiple reports is exploring options. How quickly he could land anywhere would just be a guess.

Haley did do an interview with Yahoo Sports radio today (h/t to Sando) in which he talked about the Cards but not a job with the Cards.

“The Cardinals, I love,” Haley said. “The Bidwills, Michael Bidwill and Mr. Bidwill, have been nothing but great to me. Kenny Whisenhunt has been nothing but great to me and gave me a great opportunity that I was able to expand on. I love a bunch of the players that are still there and they mean a lot to me.”

Those comments were similar to those Haley said to me at the Combine last year, so they aren’t a surprise. How it would translate into work is something different. Nothing has been said about the Cards’ current staff, but it’s hard to think there won’t be at least some change when all is said and done. But it’s a process.

UPDATE: One change did come Monday evening when the Cardinals fired quarterbacks coach Chris Miller. As I already said, this doesn’t mean Haley’s arrival is imminent.

Same with the situation with the Cards’ director of player personnel Steve Keim and his potential interview with the Rams for their general manager job. The Rams started the process looking for a GM, and, judging by their long list of potential candidates, it’s difficult to tell if Keim will be a top choice. Certainly when it comes to the Rams’ coaching job, it’s easy to tell where Cards DC Ray Horton falls in comparison to Jeff Fisher.

So, in a quiet building, we wait to hear how this will shake out, thinking that — in a perfect world — the Cards are set by the time they go to Mobile, Ala., to scout the Senior Bowl practices in a couple weeks.

Tags: , , , , ,

49 Responses to “A lot of talk, but nothing concrete”

1. By Brian on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I hope Todd Haley comes back. He would be a nice fit back here in Arizona.

2. By Jake on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Would love have Haley back, just so long as he checks his totalitarian coaching style at the door. Most grown men don’t respond well when yelled at like a child. Come get the Bird’s offense rollin’ again Todd!

3. By Paul H on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Jets must be thinking that Todd could light a fire under Sanchez. Don’t think so. Sanchez has peaked. On the other hand Haley could really improve Skelton and/or Kolb for that matter. Don’t know if the money is here but the challenge is.

4. By 98CardsFan on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Talk about media, Charlie Casserly spoke about Az being an ideal fit for Peyton Manning if he was to move on from Indy. I know its a long shot, and I’m fully invested in Kolb being the guy here, but that possibility I would be excited about. Unlike other prime positions to get an aging star, this one is sure to produce. Just saying…

5. By Andy K on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    If Todd Haley does return, will he be the offensive coordinator to replace Mike Miller or will he coordinate a different position? I really hope Mike Miller stays. Is it possible if Todd Haley was the Quarterbacks coach or maybe an assistant coach?

6. By alex u on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

did we get our 2nd round pick back from the eagles or did we trade that away with DRC? I’m so lost on that 2nd round pick

7. By AndHeSansSupper on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Which IYO, Darren, would be the largest obstacle in Haley coming back:
    Desire, money, no available open position or being the second most superstitious coach on the sideline?

8. By brad oneill on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

i think todd haley is the reason kurt warner never ever wants to coach. he was a feisty son of a gun. but behind all the crazy rage is a tremendous focus and a demand for perfection. his offenses seemed to always keep the opposition guessing which is something we haven’t had since he has been gone. i feel bad about all the yelling that will occur if he comes back but i feel good about getting every ounce of potential out of our players. and i think fitz, warner, boldin, would all agree the guy can irritate the hell out of you but there is love in his words if only you can see just how #$$%$ great you can be!!!

9. By cdubbbbb on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

This is gonna be a loooong off season, but thankfully not near as long as lasts. The firing of Chris Miller tells me that they have offered a job to Haley and even proved to him they were serious. Whether he takes it or not depends on his other offers and oppertunities.

What’s your take on all the hype about Manning and the Cardinals? Surely you have heard the rumors by now. To me that’s just what they are, rumors. They only, only way I could see Manning here is if he came as a FA on a veterans contract and we were able to retain Kolb. No way IMO will they give up on Kolb so soon and bring in Manning.

The thought of manning to Fitz is insane, but there are just to many question marks with his health, contract, age, ability. And do we really want to be on the hunt for a new QB again in 2 years?

So what do you think?

10. By cdubbbbb on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I’m assuming we will resign Marshall, or at least try. He is such a versatile player. He can play Corner, FS, good against the run and pass, can cover the slot… Having him is essentially like having 2 players in 1. Rashad Johnson is developing, he showed some flashes this season and also some things he needs to get better at. But he is capable of being at least a very good backup.

I think Marshall could be a starting FS. He is built like one, plays like one and excelled in his time at the position. I know he isn’t the dynamic playmaker like Kerry Rhodes, but do you think it would be a good move to trade Rhodes and start Marshall at FS with Johnson as his backup?

He could land us an extra pick that can be used to fill bigger needs, save us 5 million in cap to possibly go after a #2 WR, and the thing is I dont see it as much of a dropoff at the position. Of course it is a slight downgrade, but Marshall and Johnson held it down this season and I see a perfect oppertunity to trade an aging, very talented, playmaker with a questionable motor at a great price and look to build on our young corp of talent.

11. By lixto7 on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

chris miller the qb coach was fired….bring in haley….

12. By Craig on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Brian. Having Wiz, Ray, and Todd together would be great. I am praying we have Ray Horton for many years.

13. By vinny on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Hailey is a plus but if Horton leaves that would be a big let down after the cardinals defense has improved so much. I will lose all respect for Ray Horton if he leaves, and I am hoping players already haven’t for doing the interview. If Horton is already getting interviews after one season at coordinator that can only mean if the cards defense plays the way it did this season he will more than likely be done as a cards coach. I know it’s the name of the buiss. but seriously already talking change when that’s where we do not need it.

14. By Brandon on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

No surprise here lets look at qbs

Leinart-Poor footwork slow delivery,couldnt throw downfied.
    Warner- Great footwork no mobility, excellent delivery, great arm strength
    St. Pierre Never had time to develop
    Anderson Average mobility, great arm-strength terrible accuracy (1)
    Hall Great Mobility terrible accuracy, couldnt throw downfield.
    Skelton Great Mobility Average accuracy, good accuracy out of the pocket, good footwork.
    Kolb Below average acuracy, terrbile footwork happy feet (1)

(1) Terrible offensive line play

15. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Andy K –

RE: Haley’s place

I would guess if Haley comes back, he would be OC. Not sure what would happen to Miller.

16. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Alex U –

RE: Second round pick

The Cardinals do not have a second-round pick.

17. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

AndHe –

RE: Haley obstacle

IMO, it’s that Haley thinking he might do better, and the Cards not wanting to wait.

18. By Darren Urban on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

cdubbb –

RE: Miller/Manning

I think Chris Miller would probably be out regardless of Haley’s status. Haley might not return.

The Manning thing doesn’t even need to be discussed right now. Check back if he gets cut and if doctors clear him to even be able to play.

19. By AndHeSansSupper on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Okayyyy…. strike that last post.

Darren, IYO, what would be the largest obstacle in Haley coming back:
    Desire, money, no available open position or being the THIRD most superstitious coach on the sideline? (That one guy’s dog Buck, told me that Horton is pretty regimented in following habits after wins also.)

20. By CreditCard on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

What changes do you anticipate for AZCardinals.com? More videos? More player/ personnel interest type stories? More fan interaction? As a fan, it is a good website and informative, but more stuff –is better. Your thoughts

21. By Scott H on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Hate to be greedy, but….dammit, I will be – I want Haley back and DON’t want Horton going anywhere! Man, this off-season is already off and running around here…geez, the playoffs have barely started and we’re already into it.

22. By AndHeSansSupper on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

I think everyone knows where this is going, the Cards are going to get who they wanted all along:

Donovan McNabb as quarterback coach, Warner as offensive coordinator and Levi Brown as the turnstile guy, you know, the one that let’s you into the stadium.

Yeah, baby.

23. By NJAzCardsFan on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Bringing Peyton to the Cards is a train wreck waiting to happen- WHY???
    His spinal injury and three surgeries to try to fix it. I can’t imagine him being able to take a hit. He couldn’t even grip the ball after the first operation. That is why he went back for a second surgery. It affect ones Bicep and Tricep muscles. They ae directly weakened by the nerve damage. Why am I qualified to make an evaluation. I have the same injury and after one spinal fusion which was only about 75% effective in fixing the problem. I can’t imagine anyone that has had three operation being well enough to play a violent game as football. I doubt he could pass the Cards physical.

24. By cdubbbbb on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, so what is your take on trading Rhodes, Cmon man I know u know more then u let out lol!

I’m just wondering if you believe its a plausible idea, because I’ve taken a lot of heat over this. So is it really that farfetched or insane to trade Rhodes? I feel like having two safeties like we do is a luxury and we have bigger needs.

25. By in fitz we trust on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

i made a comment a couple days ago, i might have jumped the gun on haley returning. emotions lol well either way, looks like someone will eventually fill that position. as long as whiz isnt calling plays lol

26. By Chuck 1 on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Regarding Manning coming to the Cards:

He would be crazy to do that even if the Colts and Cards wanted a deal.

With our offensive line, he would be likely to suffer a permanent neck injury before the season was over.

But, as Darren wrote, it’s too early for a couple of reasons.

27. By cardsalltheway on Jan 9, 2012 | Reply

Haley would cost a pretty penny, but maybe he could take over for Ken W. next year. Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!!!!!

28. By Ha on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Wow.. Chris Miller first coaching job higher than highschool.. wow.. Who does he know.. Im sorry that aint right to hit miller like that but cmon im expecting a lil better bang for my buck.. if he paid his dues then okay but maann.. Can i intern?

29. By clssylssy on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

How I HATE this time of the year…the end of the regular season, and unless you are playoff bound, open season on your team and coaches, PLUS, you begin the waiting game of learning how much of what the media is hyping has any validity.
    As fans, the ticket buying public, we are left pacing the floor of the NFL’s version of ICU to see who’s gonnna “make it”. Our calendar has already begun ticking down to next season with such things as “senior bowl, Columbine, the draft, Free Agency, Training Camp, beginning of Preseason”, as markers. Thank you Darren for doing a great job of helping us keep our sanity with your column and blog. I don’t understand how anyone could not love the Cardinals…they are NEVER boring are full of youthful enthusiasm and promise, and are far from stogy . All this personnel shuffling is another OT for the Cardiac Cards. Coach Whiz is constantly criticized for being calm and detached and now Haley is criticized for being too emotional…LOL…seems like a good balance and I haven’t seen players who have a problem with either. Will be looking to your column with the hope of getting some good news about Horton staying, Haley rejoining, and other coaches retained through attrition, before we read it in Bleacher Report or hear it on ESPN! Thanks again.

30. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

CreditCard –

RE: Site changes

I think the plan are for some videos, and in the offseason, personal interest stories. But we only have so much manpower. We do what we can.

31. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

cdubbb –

RE: Rhodes trade

I think the Cards would have to make sure both Rashad Johnson and Richard Marshall would be back, no sure thing because both are free agents. Is in implausible? No. But I expect Rhodes to be here.

32. By Eric on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

@Chuck, right on dude, why would a QB with three neck surgeries want to get the crap beat out of him behind our OL? Even young healthy guys end up lame by mid season here, thus the need for some SERIOUS CHANGE in that regard. Manning would be another band aid when what we need to do is keep going in the direction we are, by developing a long term solution at the position. Honestly, I like the direction we are going there. Stay the course, please.

Todd Haley’s options are strictly going to be for OC positions, so I’m not sure what exploring options means. Working for the circus iin NY? Probably not a good idea, and the media out there is VISCIOUS, not really a good fit for a firey, emotional guy like Haley. If he is going to do this, it needs to happen before Senior Bowl evals begin. I’m really hoping it happens, but not if it means making a game out of “will he, or won’t he”.

33. By SteveDCO on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

cdubbbbb –

Two safeties play on defense. A free safety and a strong safety. We don’t have anyone who can fill Rhodes or A-Dubs shoes. In fact I think safety is a need with Wilson’s age and Rhodes didn’t play well at the start of the season and then was injured.

This team can’t afford to loose talent, so unless soneone would overpay for Rhodes, I would say no way. Rhodes had too many injuries last year for somone to want to overpay for him.

Trades rarely happen in the NFL except draft day for other picks.

This team has some serious gaps at OLB, WR and OL they can’t afford to create any new holes especialy with the understanding that the system is so complicated rookies and FAs won’t make an impact in the 1st half of the season and this orginization can’t afford another poor start.

34. By TucsonTim on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

The first coach fired is the QB coach? The O-line has been sub par forever. Come on Whiz. Time to buy Grimm a gold watch and let him spend more time with his family.

35. By Scott H on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

When did Peyton Manning come into the discussion??? And why does anyone think that’s even a remotely good idea? No thanks. As great as he is / has been, Manning would have a very hard time ( IMHO ) taking his act somewhere else and just plugging right in. The Colts have built everyhting around Manning over the past decade or so. That system has been built around him and he IS basically the head coach AND offensive coordinator when he is on the field. Put him in another place with different coaches, a different system, with different players…and expect that the results will be the same? I don’t think so. I love the guy and I don’t want his career to be over. But I would NOT want him here. I believe that our future lies with either Kolb and / or Skelton at this point and I’m OK with that.

36. By cards62 on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Darren

Thank you for your update on Todd Haley. What do you think Haley would consider a better position than our OC? Head Coach NFL of course. What about college?
    OC for another team? Do you think Haley has a shot at any head coaching positions? Raiders just fired their HC.

Tuscon Tim – I agree with you. I think our biggest need is OC, then OL, then QB coach. If we can get 2 out of 3 new coaches I will be very happy. I am very encouraged that Cardinals front office is trying to improve our team.
    Hopefully we can land some strong offensive coaches which of course will help our existing players, but hopefully will encourage free agents to come to the Cardinals.
    I think defensive free agents especially the back 7 will give us a look if we are able to retain Horton and we show interest in them.

A lot going on right now that can go either way, but I am excited and encouraged with what I am seeing out of our Cardinals.

Go Cards and Go Rod Graves as you are on the clock.

37. By Andy K on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Why was Chris Miller fired? John Skelton and Kevin Kolb played well in his system. We know that the interceptions are the problem but he developed John Skelton to a stellar Quarterback. I have never seen John Skelton play so well.

38. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

cards62 –

RE: Haley

I have no idea what he would be thinking right now. I’m not sure, at this point, he will have HC options.

39. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Andy K –

RE: C Miller

Obviously they didn’t feel he was doing the job needed. Not that it would all fall on Miller, but I think there would be argument the QBs played “well.” They had their moments. And Skelton’s play, well, there wasn’t much to compare to, other than his brief rookie time.

40. By Louisville Card on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

@ scott h
    If you dont think Peyton Manning can come here and learn our offense your crazy. Peyton run’s one of if not the most complexed offense in the league. You could give Peyton the play book and the next day he would be playing better than any quarterback the cards franchise has ever had except maybe Warner. I know it’s all rumor’s and hypothetical right now but if he can pass a physical and we get to draft Martin to protect his blind side, the cards offense would be scary. Just think Manning to Fitz!!!! The cards also have something Indy doesn’t have and has never really had a defense and a running game.

You say why look for another qb in a few years? Are you really that in love with Kolb or Skelton? In all reality they will be looking for another qb in a couple years anyways, so why not go for the Super Bowl? Which is exactly what the cards would be going for every year Manning, if we were so lucky, played for us.

I know it’s all hypothetical but if you presumed Peyton was healthy and the Colts were willing to trade him, in your opinion would Peyton be an upgrade to the qb position for the cards?

41. By Die Hard Cards Fan on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

It is about time the organization parted ways with Chris Miller. He wasn’t the right QB coach we need here to get the best out of our young quarterbacks; nor was he the right coach to progress Kolb in his abilities, knowledge, and career. He didn’t have “it”, like other QB coaches in the league on teams with successful quarterbacks.

Here’s some food-for-thought, hypothetically, if Payton Manning were to be released or retire all-together, it would behoove the organization to bring him here just simply for his experience and leadership skills which he could pass off to our quarterbacks. In my opinion, I believe Payton could coach Big John along to become a caliber-type, if not elite, quarterback. Again, I know this is just simple speculation, but if the opportunity were to present itself, the team could certainly get better in that aspect.

As for Ray Horton, I am glad the success has paid off – especially as a fan from my perspective. The future looks bright. However, do not leave the team for the Rams HC position! Bidwell’s, we plead with you, pay the man more since he deserved it considering the young talent, no offseason, and first gig as a DC to make that great run at the end of the year. This upcoming season will be a success as long as the pieces are there. This includes Mr. Ray Horton remaining as our DC. Let’s keep him on board!

Honestly, things will only get better with our hometown football team. I think last year was our rock-bottom. The team improved this year. Just think what this upcoming season is going to bring with all of our players having a year under a system which proved itself the last half of this past season. It’s exciting!

42. By TucsonTim on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

I think it would be great to get Haley back here, but it probably isn’t a great career move for him. I see him going to a playoff team or the Jets. How about Hue Jackson for OC. We need someone to come in and kick start this offense like Horton did for the defense.

43. By Scott H on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Louisville Card -

Well, we clearly have different views on Peyton Manning and that’s fine. He ain’t coming here, so…what’s the point? I think if YOU think that he could come here, learn the play-book in one day, and be off and running, then YOU don’t really understand the extent to which Manning’s time in THAT system ( an offense built around HIM ) and the time he has had working with the same players over time ( Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, their O-lineman ) has meant to how successful they have been. You may believe what you’re saying but I think what you’re saying is the height of ridiculousness.

BTW…you quote me as saying “You say why look for another QB in a few years?’ Hmmm…I have re-read my post several times and I have no idea where I said that. So…repeating for those who were not listening, I DID say that I believe that our future lies with either Kolb or Skelton at this time. And like it or not, I think that is the mind-set of the team as well. Do I have a crystal ball that guarantees that we will have success with Kolb or Skelton? No. Wish I did, but I don’t. But despite your self-assuredness, you do not have a crystal ball, either, my friend.

I’d rather deal with reality ( that Kolb and Skelton ARE here and probably will be here going into next season ) than your ridiculous fantasies of Peyton Manning coming here and us winning the SB every year. Yeah….like that’s happening. Gimme a break.

That said….why don’t we forget about Manning and start thinking about Reggie Wayne in a Cardinals uniform? Now, THAT would make me happy!

44. By Louisville Card on Jan 11, 2012 | Reply

@ scott h

I’m sorry about mixing up your post with cdubb’s on why look for another qb I apologize. I also didn’t say we would win the Super Bowl every year with Manning. I said that would be what we were going for, and that would be exactly what the Cards would be a front runner for the super bowl with Peyton. Do I really think he’s coming here no…Do I think it’s possible…yeah if Peyton passes a physical and the Colts are willing to move him anything is possible. I was speaking hypothetically if we would happen to get him though defending the idea of it . I also don’t think he would know every play after day 1, but I do think he would play better than any qb on the team from day 1. You also talk about an offense built around him. That hasn’t been true for a several years they’ve tried to do that but drafted horribly which is why Polian is gone. Their maybe 4 players on the colts that I would want here and one of them is a kicker, but Peyton still wins 12 games with a team that only wins 2 without him. I think it’s you who underestimate Peyton.

I also realize who we have and I’ll support whoever is the cards qb is, but you can’t really say that you think any qb on the cards team is really a super bowl qb, unless your comparing them to Trent Dilfer. I will root for the cards if they are mediocre of if they are champs, but I also have realistic expectations.

On your Reggie Wayne comment, did he even play this year? You probably want them to pick up T.O. or Braylon too… Garçon on the other hand would be a great addition.

45. By cdubbbbb on Jan 11, 2012 | Reply

Louisville cards:

Well adding another QB over 35 with injury issues would lead most to believe he won’t play much longer, maybe another 2-3 years. So that is why we would need to find another QB. It would be the Warner situation all over again. And don’t say Skelton will be ready, because you don’t know that.

Scott h:

Reggie Wayne would be a great addition, I’ve been sayin that for a while now.

46. By Scott H on Jan 11, 2012 | Reply

Louisville Card -

OK. Hey, appreciate the dialogue. You wanted the last word, you got it. Manning is not coming here, so…I will be moving on now.

And I never said anything about T.O. or Braylon Edwards, so…again, I don’t know what you’re talking about. First, you mis-quote me, then you put words in my mouth. Why can’t you just deal with what I actually DO say???

47. By Scott H on Jan 11, 2012 | Reply

cdubbbbb -

Yes, I have seen where you have also mentioned Wayne as being a great addition. Good man! Unlike some others, you are obviously aware that he is still playing and playing pretty damn well. Just as we saw with Fitz last year, even the best WR’s can seem to fall off a bit when the QB play is bad. Not really a mind-boggling concept, but…obviously, one that is lost on some others.

Have enjoyed some of your other posts as well recently.

48. By Louisville Card on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Cdub

You’re right it would be the Kurt Warner situation all over again minus the fumble issues for two years. I think the Kurt Warner situation worked pretty well for the Cards a trip to the Super Bowl and a front runner for the division almost every year he was here. It would also give Skelton time to get better and learn under one of the greatest to ever play the game.

@scott h

I know you didn’t say anything about T.O. Or Braylon i was just teaseing becuase of your choice in Indy Receivers. I’m just saying Reggie Wayne is a 33 year old receiver that has seen his best days pass him by. I for one am sick of the cards getting old washed up players that were good at one time. It never really works so why keep doing it.

49. By Scott H on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Louisville Card-

OK. Fair enough. I absolutely support your notion that we don’t need any more over the hill guys who’s best days are behind them. But I do not see Reggie Wayne as being in that category right now. 33 is NOT necessarily too old for a WR these days. Guys like T.O, Derrick Mason, Torry Holt and some others in very recent memeory have proven that. I think Wayne definitely still has some very good years left in him. I wouldn’t look at his performance this year and chalk it up to age and him being “old and washed up.” You yourself made reference to how bad the QB play was this year in Indy. Well…how does that NOT affect the play of the WR’s?