It doesn’t take much

Posted by Darren Urban on January 10, 2012 – 5:16 pm

I suppose that, in the end, it’s good for me that one little spark can set off a wildfire of speculation. I keep thinking of the person tossing away a match in the middle of a dry forest.

First came the Peyton Manning craziness, which frankly, isn’t even worth discussing. Get back to me when Manning is cleared to play football. And if the Colts cut him. If the first happens, I don’t think the second does. But again, it’s a match in the forest. On a lesser scale, there was speculation out of Cleveland that, if the Cards were to cut Kevin Kolb, Kolb would jump on the Browns’ radar because of the ties Kolb has to the Browns’ West Coast offense, head coach Pat Shurmur and top personnel guy Tom Heckert. But again, a moot point. Kolb isn’t going anywhere, despite such a brushfire of conjecture.

Because the quarterback position is always right in the center spotlight, there will always be this kind of talk for any team that doesn’t have Rodgers, Brady, Brees. (Yes, that’s a short list, but I guarantee there are some in Atlanta who don’t think Matt Ryan is the guy, or against Philip Rivers in San Diego, or Joe Flacco in Baltimore. It’s the nature of the beast.)

Still, one comment, and whoosh! Twitter goes up in flames.

– Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported today that the Rams still plan to interview Cards’ director of player personnel Steve Keim for their GM job. The latest reports, however, are that if Jeff Fisher gets the head coaching job, he will want Lake Dawson — whom Fisher worked with in Tennessee and who interviewed today for the St. Louis GM post — as the GM. The Rams have a large pool of GM candidates.

– It looked like the Rams were going to interview Bengals OC Jay Gruden for their head coaching job in case Fisher says no, which would help the idea Cards’ DC Ray Horton wouldn’t be going to St. Louis to be coach. But Gruden won’t be interviewing for any head spots (Jacksonville wanted to talk to him too), which is both a surprise and could impact Horton’s future. Again, we have to see what Fisher decides.

Tags: , , ,

35 Responses to “It doesn’t take much”

1. By TucsonTim on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Why isn’t Gruden interviewing? I thought you couldn’t keep a coach from interviewing for a head coach position.

2. By lixto on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

any new updates on haley?

3. By Ben on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Aren’t you guys the ones who release the stories???

4. By Procen on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I was reading in NFL.com Hue Jackson was let go and they were discussing the feature of Carson Palmer. You think if they let go of Carson the Cards will be interested? Just asking!

5. By tucsteve on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

i agree with everything you say. but how many people wont listen to what you say? to me some people just dont get it and wont let anything go

6. By Walter L. on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Darren, most days I believe you have one of the best jobs a guy in Arizona could have: reporting about our beloved Cardinal football team. It’s instances like this Manning speculation that I feel very, very bad for you. lol I’ll write Mr. Bidwill and let him know you deserve a raise. Best of luck to you avoiding tendonitis answering the same question over and over and over and…

7. By Chuck on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Payton to AZ ? Haley back to AZ ? Horton stays DC,sign a solid LT=Super Bowl. It would be very nice,its ok to hope right?

8. By brythybo7 on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

I really dont understand how people come up with this stuff. We have the same chance to get Manning as we have to get Luck, Blackmon, Brees, Mike Wallace, Ray Rice, and Wes Welker. Maybe we should just start saying we’re gonna get all these players on our team. It’s not far fetched at all ;)

9. By Scott H on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Never mind Manning. How ‘ bout another Colts player who I think would look great in Cardinals red – that would be Reggie Wayne!!! While I agree that the O-line is the top priority on offense, we are also not where we need to be at WR and I think Wayne would be an AWESOME complement to Fitzgerald. With a guy like that as our #2 WR, we suddenly have great depth at that position with Doucet and Roberts at #’s 3 and 4 and we instantly have a top tier WR corps again. Without a bona fide #2 WR, we will once again be Fitzgerald and…just a bunch of other guys.

10. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

TucsonTim -

RE: Gruden

They didn’t prevent him. He has decided to not interview.

11. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Lixto -

RE: Haley update

There is no new news.

12. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Procen -

RE: Palmer

I don’t see the Raiders dumping him. But even if they did, I don’t think the Cards would be looking at him.

13. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Scott H -

RE: Wayne

Explain to me why he would want to be a No. 2?

14. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Ben -

RE: “you guys”

I’m not sure exactly what you are asking, but if it’s what I think it is, you don’t really understand what I do or how this works.

15. By jay on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

is DC Horton under contract?

16. By AndHeSansSupper on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

What exactly do you do and how does it work?
    And more importantly, how does it affect how rumors are started with social media in the NFL?

17. By TucsonTim on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Thanks. Curious, you’d think he would interview just for the experience.

18. By Cactus Jeff on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

The Cardinals need more weapons. See the Saints, Packers, Patriots, Giants, Steelers…They have at a minimum 3 pass catching weapons, cards have 1! Hard to assess Kolb or Skelton without the needed weapons.

19. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Jay -

RE: Horton contract

Yes, he is under contract.

20. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

TucsonTim -

RE: experience interviewing

I’d normally agree, but if he really isn’t ready to be a HC, you don’t want to interview and then turn down an offer. Bad form.

21. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 10, 2012 | Reply

Regardless of anybody’s opinion about Kolb’s potential, nobody can argue that Kolb earned the $7 million dollar roster bonus due to him in March.
    Personally, I’d trade him to the Brown’s for the 37th pick in the draft and use it to find the next Andy Dalton or TJ Yates to compete with Skelton at a much lower price and lower long-term financial risk. Kolb’s mounting injury history would be the tipping point in my decision to trade him.

That said, I agree Kolb isn’t likely going anywhere w/o a full offseason to prepare. I don’t know if Kolb is the type of guy who could get along with a Todd Haley type that gets inthe grille of his players when they underachieve.

22. By Brandon M on Jan 11, 2012 | Reply

this is random but is Ryan Williams going to come back next season as the #2 back again assuming nothing happens during the offseason.

23. By cardsalltheway on Jan 11, 2012 | Reply

Ken W. says…”We’ll be a much better team next year.” I wonder what that means, does it mean playoffs? If not, what else could it mean? Let’s try not to undermine the QB anymore, aye! Did the entire offense really believe K. Kolb(the unproven 60 million dollar new guy) deserved to start over J. Skelton at the beginning of the season even though Kolb didn’t know the plays as well as Skelton? I doubt it. I don’t see anything changing yet. 2011, saw thirteen games without a 1st quarter TD and John Skelton throw 5 TD’s to Fitz ~ Kolb = 2

24. By D on Jan 11, 2012 | Reply

Who is Whiz’s second choice if Todd H goes to NY?

25. By Marcelof on Jan 11, 2012 | Reply

if, a match-in-the-forest if Manning lands in Arizona, that’d be the best move Cards can make, he’s ending his career soon, and Skelton – who we all know has a spetacular skill – will learn a lot…..

but the reality is kolb / skelton now, let’s focus on that….

26. By John the Draft Guy on Jan 11, 2012 | Reply

Really? People don’t know how the Manning rumors start and why the Cards?

Irsey has said he wants Andrew Luck in a round about way.

Manning is due 28 million. Manning says he will be ready in Feb-March.

With so much rebuilding, it is easy to see the Cols releasing Manning. (lots of key free agents on that team)

Manning needs a team that pushes the ball down the field and has a chance to win. (O-lineman can be picked up, plus how much better was Brown with Warner? Good QBs read defenses and get rid of the ball)

Who needs a QB and fits his style? Don’t know what Dolphins will be running. Browns, Seattle, Skins run West Coast. Niners could make sense as does the Cards.

Thus, Charlie Casserly connects the dots and says Manning to the Cards is a possibillity.

I’m not saying it happens and I’m not even saying it should, I’m saying it’s easy to see why one connects Manning to the desert.

The dominos all depend if Manning can show he is healthy. If he can, this talk will really heat up.

27. By Darren Urban on Jan 11, 2012 | Reply

Brandon M –

RE: Ryan Williams

I think that’s safe to assume.

28. By Darren Urban on Jan 11, 2012 | Reply

D –

RE: Haley

If Haley doesn’t come to Arizona, I’d expect the Cards just to hire a QB coach and leave the rest of the staff as is.

29. By Scott H on Jan 11, 2012 | Reply

Darren -

Hey, I have no idea what Wayne wants. Obviously, I’m more concerned with what I want! But it occurs to me that maybe ( MAYBE ) some of the following may be accurate -

- that maybe Wayne would be willing to pair with another great WR like Fitz who will make life easier for him than it was this year as the top dog on a team with shaky QB play and few other playmakers on offense.
    - that maybe Wayne is nearing the point where he is not viewed as a #1 by as many teams as he would have been last year
    - that maybe many of the teams who WOULD view Wayne as a #1 are probably bad teams right now and may not look like they’re going anywhere any time soon
    - that maybe if Wayne really wants to go somewhere where he can win, the Cardinals may be an attractive option

And just because I refer to him as a #2 in my post here on your blog, does that mean he has to wear a “#2 WR” label on his jersey??? Let’s face it – on a team with Larry Fitzgerald, ANYONE who is not named Calvin Johnson is a #2 WR! But that same person may benefit TREMENDOUSLY from being on the field with Fitzgerald and may WANT to be there because of that.

Yes, maybe I’m thinking what I want to think. But maybe there is some valid points in there as well. Reggie Wayne MIGHT be at that point where he is a better #2 WR along side another great WR than he would be as a #1 WR on a bad team with no one helping him out. I don’t think that is so far fetched.

30. By Eric on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

@Scott H

Very good points, and I agree with you. That’s what I took from your first post as well. ANY receiver coming out here will understand, clearly, they are a number two. With the attention Fitz gets, it could be VERY good for any WR career. We’ll see if the Cards make any smart moves at this position. It would be very dumb not to.

31. By Scott H on Jan 12, 2012 | Reply

Eric -

Thanks, bro. AND, who says that “#2″ receivers can’t have huge seasons…can’t have a huge impact on a team’s success…can’t go to Pro Bowls? And if he were to come here and this team were right back in it as a legit contender in the NFC next year, who’s to say that people wouldn’t be looking at the addition of Reggie Wayne as THE peice that helped get them there?

Yeah, it’s a lot of “ifs” and “maybes” but…who knows?

32. By Sunk on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

The Cards can have all the best recievers in the league and it mean nothing if there isn’t a quarterback on the roster who can throw more TD’s than interceptions.

2. Jan 13, 2012: Word From the Birds BlogOdds and ends on a Friday afternoon «
  3. Jan 22, 2012: Word From the Birds BlogOn championship Sunday, a little Cardinals «
  4. Mar 7, 2012: Word From the Birds BlogSo many unknowns with Manning «