Going on a little longer about Cards and overtime

Posted by Darren Urban on January 13, 2012 – 12:11 pm

We already know the Cardinals did the unprecedented this season by winning four overtime games. But it’s dominance in overtime was deeper than just the victories (and, given the probabilities of such things, unlikely to happen again for the Cards anytime soon. Or even later. Or maybe ever.)

The Cards ended up with an NFL-record 18 points scored in overtime, breaking Pittsburgh’s record of 15 set in 1997.

(The Cards also played four overtime games in 1997. They went 1-3, beating Dallas at home and then losing to the Redskins and Eagles on the road before falling to those 1997 Steelers at home.)

This season, in wins over the Rams, Cowboys, Browns and Seahawks, the Cardinals got their 4-0 record despite losing three of the coin tosses. Only against the Cowboys did the Cards get the ball and keep it; in the other three games the defense had to come up with a stop first. It makes the incredibly one-sided stats even more impressive.

In the four games, the Cards gained 193 yards compared to 36 for the opponent, despite running just 20 plays compared to the opponents’ 13. The net passing yards disparity in overtime? A stunning 165 to 2. The Cards have also won six straight home overtime games, tying the Steelers, who had six from 1978 to 1997, for the longest such streak in NFL history. (Postseason is included, for instance, the Cards’ 51-45 wild-card win over the Packers a couple of years ago.)

Overall, the Cardinals are now 23-15-2 all-time in overtime games, a .600 winning percentage. The 40 overall OT games are the second-most in NFL history behind Denver (which got its 44th last weekend in the playoff win over the Steelers). The Cards’ 23 wins are tied with the Bears for second-most behind the Broncos’ 27.

The Cards’ OT win percentage of .600 is fifth all-time, if you are willing to include Jacksonville and their tiny sample size of 11 games:

• .636, Denver (27-15-2)
  • .636, Jacksonville (7-4)
  • .613, Buffalo (19-12)
  • .608, Washington (22-14-1)
  • .600, Arizona (23-15-2)

Tags:

35 Responses to “Going on a little longer about Cards and overtime”

1. By D on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Fish to the Rams…now Cards add a pass rusher and let Horton recreate Desert Storm…

2. By Jesus on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Darren it looks like we are going into the weekend still not really knowing what is going to happen with Ray and Steve. i have been reading quit a bit about what is going on with fisher. really don’t want to lose Horton. i know you siad you think he is not going to but. really wish fisher would hurry up and decide.

3. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Jesus —

RE: Fisher

Actually, by the time you posted, the news was out there that Fisher picked the Rams.

4. By notserious on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

what do people think about this idea? trade larry fitzgerald and patrick peterson and our 1st round draft pick for peyton?

5. By Jesus on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Nice, thanks for keeping us up on this. anything on steve

6. By UK CARD on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren is there any word on draft position yet? and any clues to where we may be looking?

Just heard Fisher to Rams, hope we keep Horton for a couple more years! Don’t blame anyone wanting to move up to a H.C, just hope its not in the NFC west, which now I think west coaches are set for a while!

7. By jerry on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Its good to know that tje Cards dont give up even if its giving up certain draft picks.

8. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

UK Card —

RE: Draft

The Cards are picking 13th. Who that will be is still nowhere close to narrowed down.

9. By Walter L. on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

So glad that Fisher took the Rams job. Now not only will the division become more competitive, we also get to keep Ray Horton for another season (hopefully no one else wants to interview him. lol Miami has an unknown candidate up for an interview tomorrow I believe…) . I guess if we have learned anything through this, it’s that Horton MUST make sure somebody on the defensive staff knows the ins-and-outs of this defensive scheme like the back of their hand.

10. By WVcardsFan on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Darren, not to try to get all mathematical on you, but if the Bears have the same number of OT wins as Arizona (23) and have done so in fewer games, how is possible that the Bears don’t have a better OT winning percentage than Arizona?

11. By Joram on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Let’s get more ot wins

12. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

WVCardsFan —

RE: Bears v Cards OT

You got me thinking for a moment. But here:

Cards: 40 OT games, 23-15-2, pct of .600
    Bears: 39 OT games, 23-16, pct of .590

13. By Andy K on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you think St.Louis will be a surprise team next season like the San Francisco 49ers this year? Our team struggled against St.Louis both times this year and we were lucky to pull off a victory in both but do you think the Rams will be really big challenge to the cards at all next season?

14. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Andy K —

RE: Rams

I think we are a long way off before being able to judge where the Rams stand. What the 49ers did wasn’t exactly par for the course.

15. By Andy K on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for answering my questions Darren.

I have another question for you, Who has Ken Whisenhunt considered to draft for the first round of the NFL draft and what positions is he planning to address with the draft? We already established our run game by having Beanie Wells, Ryan Williams, Alfonso Smith, and LaRod Stephens-Howling. We already have Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Roberts, Demarco Sampson, and and Early Doucet if he is resigned. Will Doucet be signed to another contract? We have Tight Ends Jeff King, Todd Heap, and Rob Housler. Will Jeff King and Todd Heap be back next year? We have Quarterbacks Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, and Richard Bartel. Even though John Skelton won so many games and was the main reason why we got back to .500, why can’t he be our starter? Kevin Kolb is a really good Quarterback but what can Skelton do to get that starting job? Kevin had his chance but John proved he can be our franchise Quarterback. We already have decent CBs like Patrick Peterson, Greg Toler and Richard Marshall. Will Greg be the starter next season and will Richard Marshall be back next season? We already have decent LBs, DEs and DTs like Darnell Dockett and Sam Acho. I’m not sure if Calais Campbell already signed a contract but if he didn’t when will he be signed to one because a lot of teams might sign him before we can. Will Kerry Rhodes, A.J Jefferson be back next season and will Levi Brown be back as well? Will Rex Hadnot be back too? I know these are a lot of questions but can you please answer all of them. Thanks.

16. By ben on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

the guy who said trade fitz peterson and a pick should go to his bathroom mirror and punch the guy he sees square in the teeth. Plesae quit with the dumb

17. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Andy K —

RE: Questions

1) They haven’t had any draft meetings yet.
    2) I am not sure on Doucet’s return, but I think King and Heap will be back.
    3) Skelton has to win the job. As I have said many, many times, there are things that go into it besides wins. I know that is tough for some to grasp.
    4) We’ll see how the offseason plays out. I expect most of those guys back however.

18. By notserious on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

ben-

my name notserious. i wasnt serious. take it easy. i was just trying to see what people would say. and thank you. i got what i wanted.

19. By Scott H on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Darren –

Now, THAT was a great blog! Not that the others aren’t, but…it has always seemed to me that the Cardinals seemed to play more OT games than most other teams. Easy enough to brush that thought off by realizing I don’t pay nearly as much attention to any one other team than the Cardinals. But this info verifies that what seemed to be the case, IS in fact the case.

My man, you out-did yourself with this one.

20. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

@notserious,

Your screen name aside, I was thinking you might be a Colts fan who found this site (or that you’re Mike Ditka under a pseudonym).

21. By BKKCard on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Darren re Andy K

Big J Skelton already won the job… hands down… It is Kolb that needs to win it back, cause there is absolutely nothing that he showed during the season that indicated he should have been the defacto starter to begin with.

Anything else is purely a face saving move since the club coughed up 80mil. and all.

Trust me I know. My lead software developer is supposed to be a superstar – hired him at considerably more than the others, but now its obvious his underlings were always better him. I’ll have to reneg his contract or he has gotta walk – 1) its bad for moral, 2) waste of budget that can be used more productively.

22. By KDubADub1324 on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

And some of these OT games have shaved years off my life. LOL. But that’s what makes this game great. Especially when AZ pulls them out. 09 playoffs, Kurt v. Rodgers, still will be the best one for awhile. Classic.

You answered my question on another piece about what AZ would look to do defensively in the off-season, as far as seeking another pass-rusher and safety to groom behind ADub. What do you think of the idea of transitioning Pat Peterson over to safety in the next couple seasons (similar to how they did Antrel Rolle), and looking CB in the near future instead? PP has the athleticism and speed to cover a good part of field. And he’s physical, which allows you to play him up in the box. Just a thought

23. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

BKK –

RE: QBs

I’m glad you have it figured out.

24. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

KDub –

RE: Peterson

I think it’s a lot harder to find a good CB than safety. If you think PP is that CB, I leave him there.

25. By BIG RED on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Just send Kolb to Cleveland, and we would all be happy. No reason to have this conversation again next year. Skelton won the job and we all know it. Why spend all that money on someone that won’t even finish the season, cause of injury. Peyton who!! Same problem like Kolb.

26. By Andy K on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Thanks Darren

27. By Andy K on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Will Russ Grimm be signed to a new contract?

28. By KDubADub1324 on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

@BKKCard and BIG RED

Skelton won the job; yeah, right. First of all, you guys probably think Tebow is Denver’s franchise QB, too, right?. Did you even pay attention to what was actually going on this season for both QBs? I’m guessing you didn’t, which is pretty obvious. Based on Skeltons play and stats alone (not considering that he happened to be the QB when AZ was winning because he was NOT the main reason for those wins; the defense was), can you honestly say Skelton should be given the job? Only a I really like the kid, but I don’t think he did anything this season to show the job should be his next year. At best, he’s only shown he deserves a shot. I give him SOME credit for AZ’s success this year because he made a FEW plays to help, but nothing to automatically deserve the job. People are quick to jump on Kolb because of the contract. Give the dude a break. I don’t care what anyone says, but the lack of a traditional off-season and preparation made it even tougher for Kolb to come in and live up to expectations; it basically wasn’t a fair shot for him. Even though he had 4 seasons w/Philly prior to this season, he essentially was a rookie in AZ, as he had to learn a totally different offense and get himself assimilated to the team with new players and coaches. He wasn’t comfortable out there, plain and simple. And it showed, and he wasn’t effective because of it. Skelton looked more comfortable because he had a year with AZ under his belt coming into this season and he knows the offense. Kolb made his mistakes this year, but you can’t write him off just yet. Why should he not get another shot next year? He deserves an off-season with the team and a QB competition, at minimum, to prove if he’s the guy. If he can’t do it at that time, THEN you may turn to Skelton. No problem with that, but at least you don’t leave yourself wondering “what if?”. AZ knows this. Kolb’s not perfect, but hes shown he can play. Do some homework and watch some of the games Kolb played in Philly, and you’ll see what he can do. Although I believe Kolb has an edge based on his experience and play (including past seasons in the NFL), I’m not 100% supportive of giving him the job. If anything, both QB’s should go into the off-season competing for the job and let the best man win. But realistically, Kolb will most likely get the job.

As long as AZ wins though, it doesn’t matter to me. BUT, I still want the best players out there that give them the best shot.

29. By Kevin S on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

Skelton should absolutely get a look next year. I am amazed that anyone who watched the Cardinals play would think he “won the job hands down” though, by completing 54% of his passes, throwing 14 INT’s in 8 games, and ending up 3rd-to-last in the NFL in QB rating among all qualifiers.

But I guess the comparison to what’s going on in your software development job makes you an expert.

30. By BKKCard on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Darren. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

KDubADub1324 & Kevin S… Obviously YOU fellas were the ones asleep during the majority of the games. Sorry, like so many of you like to say, a win is a win, and Skelton won 6 of those 8 with a far better win to loss ratio. There is not much to debate here is there? Anything else is pie in sky.

So my original point was simple. If Kolb thinks he is the starter, then let him win the job back. Skelton has earned the right to be the starter – maybe not when measured against another team, but for sure for the cardinals. I mean by what merit does Kolb just step back into the starting position as suggested by this article?… Darren? … KDub? … Kev?

And yes Kevin S, the NFL is a business, so I don’t see the harm in drawing a correlation.

31. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

BKKCard –

RE: QB

I’m not going to get into a long debate about this again, since obviously I’m not going to change any minds. But to suggest the wins happen in a vacuum regardless of everything else is just false. By that line of thinking, shouldn’t the Cards have made sure Kerry Rhodes remained on the bench in favor of Johnson? The Cards weren’t winning with Rhodes. Yet no one suggested that (nor should they).

I also want to hear how you would deal with the Dallas game – a win for Kolb, won almost exactly the same way, with the same pattern, as Skelton’s wins. That doesn’t count? It does but because he was it doesn’t count as much?

32. By BIG RED on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

The reason I choose Skelton over kolb is plain and simple… more wins and didn’t lose any games. Just look at kolbs first 7 games and all those six games they lost were very simple mistakes by kolb and of course the defense was not up to par yet. Yea, kolb was there when they beat the girls, but Skelton was there when they beat the Niners and the Niners are playing for the NFC Championship. The girls who are, they to make a big deal about playing them and beating them, same record as us and we beat the girls. Both games were also played at the Toaster. The girls past is what it is……THE PAST.

33. By William Barry on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Kolb and Skelton should go through offseason workouts, and then decide who is the starting QB..however I do like Skelton’s good arm, and I think Kolb runs out of the pocket too quickly, before finding a receiver…I think John Skelton proved he can beat the big boys “Niners” and he has a good presence in the pocket. John gets my vote for now…but let’s see what develops in the offseason.

34. By BIG RED on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Very well said Mr. William Barry I agree.

35. By KDubADub1324 on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

@BKKCARD
    Dude, no comment…

@BIG RED
    Games were lost by very simple mistakes for Kolb? Sure, he made mistakes. But what about Skelton? He wasn’t exactly Tom Brady either. Enough mistakes were made by him every game down the stretch to cost AZ, HOWEVER, enough plays were made by the rest of the team to clean it up and pull those wins out. The team wasn’t able to overcome mistakes earlier in the season. If the team, mainly the defense, had been playing this well early in the season, there would not have been a 1-6 stretch. Wasn’t Coach Whiz saying that they weren’t making enough plays? Think about it: If they were able to hold on against WAS, BAL, and NYG (maybe SEA) they’d be 11-5 and likely in the playoffs and Kolb would have been 4-3 down that stretch, and 5-3 on the year.

Like William Barry said, and as I said previously as well, let the off-season decide who leads the team. It doesn’t matter to me, I like both. As long as its the best man. This team needs to get back to the playoffs :)

@ Darren
    you’re right; can’t change any minds, especially with reason and thought. I just realized that as I send this post. This has been a topic people have been beating to death since mid-season. I think I’m done with it. No use in arguing with those that still want the best for AZ as the bottom line. My apologies, this article was about OT games. Speaking of which, maybe the website could be put something together on the main page about AZ’s best OT games, either in recent seasons, or a combo with a select few from the past?

Memories…