Odds and ends on a Friday afternoon

Posted by Darren Urban on January 13, 2012 – 4:13 pm

A few tidbits as we head into a long weekend in which we see if Tebow-mania lives another week in this NFL season and where I don’t expect anything to happen in Cardinals World (so don’t hold your breath waiting for news on the coaching staff, Todd Haley or otherwise.)

– The Cardinals added a couple of players to the roster Friday, bringing back a couple of wide receivers that have been here before: Isaiah Williams and Jaymar Johnson (actually, Johnson was here basically all season, while Williams was cut after training camp).

– The news Jeff Fisher was hired as Rams coach wasn’t unexpected. It means, at least right now, that Ray Horton will be staying in Arizona (I am assuming he won’t come up as a candidate anywhere else). It also makes less likely that Cards’ director of player personnel will be the Rams’ GM, because the expectation is that Fisher’s arrival will mean Lake Dawson, with whom Fisher worked in Tennessee, will probably get the GM job. We will see. (On a side note, Mike Jurecki said on XTRA 910 today that former Cards coach Dave McGinnis could end up in St. Louis on Fisher’s staff. McGinnis has been with the Titans ever since Fisher hired him after McGinnis was fired from the Cards following the 2003 season.)

– If you missed my Twitter link, and if you want to start looking at names, here’s a good free agent tracker as we move toward the March 13 beginning of the new league year.

– I know I said we shouldn’t be talking about this right now, but Charley Casserly, who created a big dust-up on national TV last weekend suggesting Peyton Manning would be a good fit in Arizona if he were cut by Indy, said on XTRA 910 with Mike Jurecki and Dan Bickley his comments were “strictly my opinion.” Not that it’s a shock, but anyone suggesting it was based on fact and not just connect-the-dots can put that in their back pocket.

– Former Cardinals defensive end Michael Bankston is going to be running for a spot in the Arizona Legislature.

– If you didn’t see it, posted an update on the rehab of the chronically optimistic RB Ryan Williams. I don’t know how he will do when he starts playing, but it’s hard not to think he’ll do well when you talk to him. (And I also liked this story around Rex Hadnot and his late brother, if you missed it).

That’s all for now. We’ll have updates over the weekend if there is anything to update (but I’ll probably be crawling around Twitter @cardschatter if you’re looking for me).

Tags: , , , , ,

56 Responses to “Odds and ends on a Friday afternoon”

1. By Shaun Church on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Great stuff with Ryan Williams. It’s great to hear he is so optimistic; it sure helps us fans feel the same way.

About the roster moves: What purpose do they serve at this point? I have been curious about these post-season moves and what they mean for the team.

2. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Shaun —

RE: Roster moves

Just building your team for the offseason. Need 80 guys, remember?

3. By Shaun Church on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Right, I wasn’t thinking haha.

4. By SuperBird on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

With Fisher finalizing his contract with the Rams, is it safe to say that Horton will be back for at least another season in AZ?

5. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

SuperBird —

RE: Horton

Looks that way.

6. By Andy on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

I noticed that the roster lists Isaiah Williams and Martell Webb as having the same #80. Also, Sean Considine and William Powell have the same #37. Is this normal for the off-season roster?

7. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Andy —

RE: Numbers

I need to fix that. That is my mistake.

8. By Paul H on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Does Isaiah wash Whiz’s car? Just kidding. He does show show some occasional flash in training camp. Wish him well in his effort to stick. Looking forward to some more news next week. Thanks Darren.

9. By Andy on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Numbers

I didn’t mean to point out a mistake. I thought that maybe it had something to do with the tradition of specific positions wearing a specific range of numbers.

10. By brad oneill on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Horton supposedly had a very strong interview with the rams. You can’t blame the rams for going with a guy like fisher with years of hc experience and a stellar rep as a solid coach over a vibrant and effective coach like Horton but someday soon someones going to be calling and we won’t get him back. i hope we are able to groom a successor for him. I am of course assuming our team has a much better 2012 than 2011 or it wont really matter because everyone will be gone.

11. By Scott H on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Not related to the Cardinals but since Darren mentioned it – and the entire media world can’t NOT talk about him for 10 seconds – I’m hoping Tebow and the Broncos are DONE this weekend. Hope the Pats beat them and beat them big. Can’t stand hearing people talk about him anymore. Almost makes me wish Brett Favre were still around…ALMOST!

12. By Scott H on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Well, I guess the good news is that with Fisher taking the job in St Louis, then it appears Horton will be staying here. Hopefully. Still several head coaching jobs out there.

I guess the not-so-great news is that with Fisher taking the job in St Louis, the Rams are going to have a better head caoch then they have had in a long time. Doesn’t make them an instant contender for the division, but…it is worth noting. The NFC West has come a long way since the year we went to the Super Bowl. All three of the other teams have up-graded significantly since then in regard to HC’s.

13. By DontTakeLoses on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Darren: I’ve have “shared” several of your blog posts from here on my Facebook page, which are notable posts. But the link always goes/refers to the main page and not to the particular article/post. That means the reader has to hunt around the site instead of linking directly, like most sites do. Please share with your web site administrator? Thx. Keep those posts coming…looks to be an exciting offseason. LOVE young Mr. Williams’ determination.

14. By DontTakeLoses on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Btw, agree with Scott above. NFC west may become a powerhouse with Whiz, Harbaugh and Fisher.

15. By azfancolo on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Hey Scott H try living in Denver every second everyday its bleeping mind blowing

16. By Darren Urban on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Dont take –

RE: Facebook

Do me a favor. Shoot me an email askdarren@cardinals.NFL.net so we can figure this out.

17. By Shaun Church on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Scott,

Don’t leave out Carroll and the Seahawks. With a quarterback able to play quarterback they could be a good team as well. Jackson did okay at times, but he likely will be replaced this offseason—perhaps by Matt Flynn.

18. By Justblaze on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

Do you see the Cards drafting a WR with their first pick this year? A lot of mock draft boards are showing aus drafting an OT.

19. By tom on Jan 13, 2012 | Reply

darren,

any updates with the campbell contract? im getting nervous.

20. By Cards4Life on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

@dnt take losses, not to mention pete carrol NFC west head coaches gona make it hard for people to say we have weak division, Rams were the only bad team this year, Seattle almost finished as strong as the cards somthing to remember goin into next season

21. By cardsalltheway on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

I hope Tebow at least makes it a close game.
    Per your “Williams Ready to Resume Plan A” piece.
    “He(Williams) knew it was bad, but he didn’t want to cry until he asked how long he’d be out. On the field, they let him know – nine to 12 months.”

Name one player with the same injury that has returned to NFL Sundays in 9 months at full strengh? If he ain’t at full strengh I hope I don’t see him playing on Sundays. Williams didn’t really get the full truth to his “How long he’d be out” question on the field. If Williams knew the real answer on the field he would’ve cried harder.

“Expectations from everyone seem to have grown in his year away – Williams has gone from a seemingly out-of-the-blue second-round pick to, for some, the second coming of Payton and Barry Sanders combined.”

I’m not part of that “some,” he’s still an “out of the blue 2nd round pick” to me. But, I wish him luck since I have a similar scar on my knee-cap. We could see him at near full strength somewhere in 2013 if he’s lucky. It’s about time he comes up with plan B and C. Cardinal fans shouldn’t expect him to play on Sundays in 2012.

22. By Darren Urban on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Just blaze –

RE: WR

No, I don’t see a WR with the first pick.

23. By joe67 on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Darren, off subject, but how did the West do against the East this year, head to head?
    Thanks

24. By Scott H on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Shaun Church
    Oh, I absolutely DO NOT exclude Carrol from my comments about the coaching up-grades in the NFC West. The Seahawks have defintely been a pest since he landed there. Definitely a division of up-and-comers going forward.

25. By Scott H on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

azfancolo –

Can’t imagine…but seriously, you can’t escape it ANYWHERE!!! The NFL Newtowrk has become All Tebow, All The Time. I know the nature of the media is to hype everything / anything to the nth degree but…I just don’t get it. He’s a young, handsome, wholesome, kid with the the christian thing that he’s very devoted to. Wins some games late. OK. Has also played some historically bad football in some games this year. Again…I just don’t get it. I guess with Brett Favre gone, the media needs SOMEONE to heap adulation upon.

26. By Scott H on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

BTW, NFL.com now reporting that Russ Grimm is drawing interest from several other teams. I swear…what are we, the place where the NFL shops for coaches and coordinators??? While it seems that people have become somewhat less enthusiastic about Grimm with two seasons of generally poor O-line play, I would still prefer that he stay here. Bottom line, we need better players on the O-line and that is not Grimm’s fault.

27. By clssylssy on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think anybody in the sports world is overlooking the NFC West for next year. Fisher is overrated or else wouldn’t have been fired…congratulations St. Louis, you could have done better but glad you didn’t *sighs in relief*, Have been reading a lot about the free agents that will be available and it sure would be nice to pick up some of that talent, like Marcus Colston from the Saints, rather than see another team like the Redskins them. I know a lot will depend on what is available with the cap but since we did so well with the young talent last year, it might be nice to get a balance with veterans who aren’t just making one last stop before retirement. Don’t think Peyton Manning should be on the list as he would come with a big price tag with no guarantees after suffering MAJOR injury. Next year is gonna be great…I’m ready Now! In the meantime will be cheering on my other birdteam in purple and black and our own ANQUAN!…Diamonds are everybody’s best friend, especially Superbowl time of year!

28. By Darren Urban on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

joe67 —

RE: AFC vs NFC

I’d have to look that up.

29. By Shaun Church on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Scott,

They can have Grimm; whoever it is.

30. By cardsalltheway on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Grimm,
    Bye bye!
    Please make this happen…

31. By Louisville Card on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Nice article as always Darren, thanks for the free agent tracker link. On that note it’s a very impressive list of UFA. Which among those do you think they might conceivably go after? We are thin at WR do you think they’ll go after garçon or welker?

32. By Chuck 1 on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Scott and azfancolo,

Maybe you’d prefer hearing, reading and/or viewing about pro athletes in domestic abuse, rape or drug cases???

33. By Darren Urban on Jan 14, 2012 | Reply

Louisville –

RE: FA targets

I haven’t had a chance to look at anything yet.

34. By cardsalltheway on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

A bit disingenuous don’t you think Darren by ignoring my Grimm comment, I mean I am the first after all. In fact, I’m even before YOU!
    Card fans can surely always count on Darren, ha ha!

35. By Todd on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

Darren, I wonder if Keith Butler regrets not taking the Cardinals defensive coordinator position before it was offered to Horton? The Steelers have been promising Butler Dick :Lebeau’s DC position at Pitt for years and it doesn’t look like Dick is going anywhere soon. And Horton comes to the Cardinals as a DC and is immediately being considered now for HC positions, all while Butler isn’t even a DC yet.

36. By azfancolo on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

Hey Chuck 1 take it easy I for one do not like to hear about wrong doing players but what is going on here in Denver is absolutley crazy it is just amazing, he is a good role model but man I get it already

37. By D on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

Offseason possible moves/players for Cards-

After keeping Campbell, Marshall, Holiday, etc. (extend RFA players like The Hyphen, etc) and keeping L. Brown at reduced rate if possible.

Here are some names to consider in free agency if AZ would want to be agressive and possble draft picks to go along with this free agency scenario-

Free agency-
    1) R. Meecham WR
    2) A. Brooks OLB
    3) T. Branch S
    4) M. Nugent K
    5) D. Jones P

Draft:
    Round 1 J. Martin RT
    Round 3 M. Egnew TE
    Round 4 L Nix OG
    Round 5 E. Acho ILB

38. By drummer-1 on Jan 15, 2012 | Reply

Goood job Darren,( you know what i mean ).

39. By Michael on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Darren.

That free agency tracker was really useful and insightful. However i’m not sure I agree with some of their ratings (Richard Marshall -1.2, Early Doucet -8.4).
    Do you feel the same way with some of their assessments?

40. By Scott H on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Chuck 1 –

Dude, I don’t even know what you are talking about. Maybe people feel that way often in response to your posts. But since I NEVER mentioned ANYTHING about domestice abuse / drug / rape cases, then…whatever. Apparently, you have these things on your mind. I was referring to Tebow Mania and that only.

41. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Michael –

RE: PFF ratings

Those are overall ratings based on their season-long video grades. They aren’t completely arbitrary, although they are judgement calls.

42. By D on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Darren

Is S. Bradley’s contract allow AZ to shop him? I mean is it not too over valued for other teams to be interested. I wonder if the Cards address OT and OLB by free agency or later draft picks if maybe ILB Luke Kuechly would be too hard to pass up…thanks

43. By brad oneill on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

so after todd haley claims that kansas ownership bugged him. Should we give him a psych test before we hire him or just take him knowing he is nuts but he is our kind of nuts?

speaking of conspiracies, anyone else notice in a few big games lately one team has seemed a little more off than usual, ie national championship game, green bay, giants game. there are others but i am really beginning to wonder if someone has found an ingenious way to poison people. lots of money on these games.

yup i am nuts as well. bring in Haley.

44. By Eric on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

I think Chuck 1 is drinking the Tebow Koolaid. For one, of course we don’t want to hear about the scumbags, but we don’t need a contrived hero shoved up our preverbial butts either. There are plenty of good “men” playing this game. Name one Card that has had negative press coverage? I am biased, but we have some very impressive young men playing for us, and none of them are seeking attention and or credit for it. Tebow is clearly a media hyped and created hero, because I can’t think of ANY QB’s in this league that complete 40% of their passes, and get called into “greatness”. No one even discusses the fact fact that Denver played a weak schedule due to their poor record the previous year. Not one single impressive win. It is ridiculous, and clearly been proven now that he has gotten stomped by every decent, healthy team (No way he beats a healthy Big Ben and Steelers D, total misrepresentation in that game) he has played.

John Skelton had a better year in every regard, and never recieved ONE SINGLE accolade for it, other than by his team and Cards fans. Of course Skelton doesn’t seek that attention, nor does he go into a dissertation on why he loves god and his team during every interview. Imagine if Tebow were a proud gay man versus a proud christian and spoke of it constantly. He, of course, would be crushed for it. So what is the difference? There is none. I’m sure Tebow is probably a nice guy, but he is a lousy QB, and we football fans are tired of seeing him represented as being somehow great. ENOUGH! How about giving attention to guys that had actual good years playing football! Getting into the playoffs after getting killed in your last three games only because another team lost, and barely beating the PIT second string defense is nothing impressive. Thank God its over. No pun intended.

Darren, sorry for the rant, I just couldn’t help myself after such an ignorant comment.

45. By Javi on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

darren any update on todd haley

46. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

D —

RE: Bradley trade

I don’t see Bradley being worth much in trade right now.

47. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Javi —

RE: Haley

Nothing new. I would think the chances of him coming are growing slimmer.

48. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Eric (and everyone) —

RE: Tebow

I get that people might be getting tired. But the bottom line is the needle jumps whenever Tebow is being mentioned, whether it is page views, magazine sales, TV ratings or radio ratings. The same cannot be said for John Skelton.

Maybe that includes those of you who declare how sick you are of it. But it isn’t going away. It’s not a media creation, because all the data says the public eats it up. If the public stopped paying attention, trust me, no one would be spending as much time writing/broadcasting about him.

49. By CDNelson86 on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

With Gregg Williams as the Rams new DC, do you see them changing much defencively? I know they already used a fairly complex and agressive blitz style of defence and it hasnt seamed to help them much. Do you think G. Williams can bring a new flavor (so to speak) to how they did things b4 and disguise the coverages so maybe the aggresive style works better?

Lol i find it funny that the NFC West is continuously getting better but all anyone can talk about now, with Jeff Fisher getting hired, is that he chose the Rams job because we are a “weak” division. I understand none of our teams have shown the ability to constantly win 10+ games a season but the fact None of our teams have been One and Done in the playoffs in quite some time should get everyone off our back. I cant stand the 49ers. And yet I cant help but wonder how much the NFL owners have to do with the coverage that is given to specific teams, like how much they pad the wallets of other owners because they have more mulla then others, I.E. Dallas Cowboys, who havent done anything other than write the book on “How NOT To Run Your Orginization”. *Sigh… God I Hate this time of the year when we are not in the playoffs.

Thanks Again for all your hard work, especialy when there isnt ANYTHING to write about. I look forward to some news about our vacant coaching possition.

50. By FPCards on Jan 16, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I am a big Cardinals fan and feel that the organization has shown with Whisenhunt and Michael Bidwell to make good decisions. Right now though it seems like a terrible decision to keep Mike Miller after an 8-8 season with a poor offense. I think the Cardinals should be extremely aggressive on getting Todd Haley. Maybe they are offering him the OC and assistant coach behind the scenes. Do you think the Cardinals are aggresively going after Haley with a strong OC and assistant coach title co title with Grimm? If possible can you ellaborate on this.

Thanks!

51. By brad oneill on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Can i Step in on this whole tebow debate.

A the kid didn’t ask for all the craziness that surrounds him.

b. he uses his moment in the spotlight to do what he thinks is most important.

c. he is a good kid by all accounts.

d. he wins games. despite being a bad quarterback by most measurable standards. no one says he is tom brady they just say wow this kid wins despite the fact he sucks.

52. By APCARDS on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren-
    IF Grimm goes, maye the Cards could offer his title/position to Todd Haley. I would think that would be much more attractive to him than a position coach. Do you think there is a chance that Haley is waiting on what Grimm does and just riding this out a bit? It does not seem as though the Raiders have interest in Haley as a HC and if he were to be an assistant HC, I would think AZ would be his # 1 choice given his residence here and his professed fondness for the Cardinals.
    What do you think?
    Thanks for any thoughts/input you may have on this.

53. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

CDNelson —

RE: Williams with Rams

Well, obviously Williams likes to blitz and that might be a little bit bigger of their gameplan, but he is in St. Louis because of history with Jeff Fisher more than anything. It’s not like the Saints have dominated defensively; it has been more about turnovers with that defense.

54. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

FPCards —

RE: Haley

As I have said a couple of times recently, I think the chances of Haley coming back to Arizona are growing slimmer.

55. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2012 | Reply

APCards —

RE: Grimm

I expect Grimm to return here, so I think it’s a moot point.

2. Jan 13, 2012: Odds and ends on a Friday afternoon – AZCardinals.com (blog) | newzbuff.com