• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Waiting for the last coach

Posted by Darren Urban on January 19, 2012 – 1:54 pm

I know everyone is waiting to hear about the Cardinals’ vacant coaching spot, but I don’t think anything is imminent. Coach Ken Whisenhunt has been talking to candidates and with everyone in the coaching world descending on Mobile next week for the Senior Bowl — it being a place where all kinds of coaching interviews often occur — it wouldn’t be a surprise to have an interview or two occur there for the Cards either.

A move to bring in Todd Haley seems unlikely when the logistics of the situation are taken into account — the most important of which is that Whisenhunt likes the progress of Mike Miller as offensive coordinator. Kent Somers does a spot-on job of breaking down the situation between Haley and the Cards. To sum it up in a cliche, the timing just isn’t right. There are still some head coaches to be hired that might want Haley for an offensive coordinator job.

Everyone is going to want to know potential names, but I don’t have any right now. The Cards do have a little wiggle room. For instance, wide receivers coach John McNulty also coached quarterbacks while he was at Rutgers; he could conceivably coach QBs if Whisenhunt picked out a receivers coach instead of a quarterbacks coach. As I have mentioned before, tight ends coach Freddie Kitchens played quarterback at the University of Alabama (although he has only coached tight ends and running backs in his coaching career.)

Tags: , , ,

46 Responses to “Waiting for the last coach”

1. By Brent on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

I would actually like to have Haley back as OC, but when the Cards didn’t immediately part with Miller it was clear there is no position for Haley with the team. He is not going to go from Head Coach to QB coach – it’s just unrealistic.

2. By georgiebird on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Why bring Haley back?? The Cards offense made the playoffs in 2008 with Warner and Haley; the Cards made the playoffs in 2009 with Warner as QB and Warner as OC..
    Haley couldn’t get anything going offensively in KC. The way I see it, Haley is as good as the players he has- there is no value added.
    Of course, Haley would provide some insurance as a HC in case all the nail-biters start going against us.

3. By dustin on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Is it me or are we blaming the QB spot wayyy too much. as a whole the offense has not been the same minus Haley. the dude is a mastermind of offense. he can make anyone look good and make the great look even better.

heres my perfct scenario: bring in haley, give the job to skelton, keep the rest of the offense maybe bring in another wr if its in budget. keep the tight ends. dont let the D or ray go anywhere! let them grow allll together, every player with the exception of a handful are extremely young and very talented! keep them all. and build a dynasty not just a quick run into the playoffs or a SB.

i dont think mike miller is doing the job he needs to as cooridinator, with him and wiz calling plays its been slow and predictable. no fire no creativity nothing like the near unstoppable ’08 season!

please darren let me know what you think about my opinion, give me a full response and please tell me where im right and wrong.

thanks, Dustin Whitlock

4. By D on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

If the Cards address other holes/needs in the draft besides Rush LB and 2nd WR, some names to watch out for this March:

LB A. Spencer
    LB M. Lawson
    LB A. Brooks
    WR. P. Garcon
    WR. R. Meecham
    WR. M. Manningham

5. By joe hancock on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Haley would be a great return but unlikely. I believe that a college qb coach would do a great job of helping along the career of Skelton. He needs a good coach to just help with some of the minor problems he has. Kolb could use the advice of a seasoned qb coach because he has all the talent just hasnt put it together. The cards are in a good spot with both the qbs. They both have great ability but only one will start and my idea is skelton has more raw talent.

6. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Dustin –

RE: Opinion

It’s your opinion.

I’ll say this: The Cards’ offense scored a lot of points in 2009 when Haley wasn’t here.

And play-calling tends to look worse when you don’t have an elite QB playing QB. You can say the blame lies too heavily on the QB, but look around the league and tell me what good teams aren’t QB-centric. It’s how the NFL is. I think there are things Haley could bring to the table that would help. That said, and I have said this many times, of the things I think need improvement, play-calling is way down the list.

7. By brad oneill on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Miller hasn’t proved himself an effective play caller, Haley has. Sometimes you have to make hard calls, Whisenhunt and Haley are good friends and he may be afraid of the perception, not to mention MIller is a good guy but if its my team Miller gets demoted with a chance to learn behind haley for a year or two before haley goes back to being a head coach somewhere.

8. By CDNelson86 on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

In the Toler blog someone asked you about draft picks, and you said we had 6, one in each round except the 2ed…. I thought we got a Conditional pick when we traded T. Hightower? Wasnt it a 6th round pick unless Hightower took more than 50% of the snaps then it jumped to a 5th rounder? Just wondering because i was prity sure we had an extra late round pick (witch we seam to be so good at finding hidden gems).

Thanks

9. By georgiebird on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Darren;

Here would be a great stat- have you seen it anywhere?

After a team scores a TD or FG- on the ensuing kickoff, what pct of the time does the opposing team score a TD or FG.
    For example, if the Cards scored a combination of 50 TDs and FGs in a season And on the ensuing kickoff the opposition scored a TD or FG on 40 occasions, the results would be as follows:
    TD or FG given up after scoring = 80%
    Stops after scoring TD or FG = 20%

10. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

No way Haley condescends himself to be a QB coach and no way the Bidwills pay him a mil a year, even if he agreed.
    Darren, assuming the cards are “all in” with Kolb for next season, could they be looking for a candidate that has West Coast offense experience? Maybe someone who has worked with Kevin before?

11. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

CDNelson -

RE: extra pick for Hightower

Great point. Totally forgot. Cards will have an extra pick. Since Hightower got hurt, guessing it’ll be the 6th rounder.

12. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Georgie -

RE: stat

I have not seen that.

13. By Darren Urban on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands -

RE: QB coach possibles

Tough to say since I don’t have names, but for instance, don’t see WC because Cards don’t run it. They are trying to get Kolb away from that, not more comfortable with it.

14. By Brian on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Personally, I like what Whiz is doing. He’s telling Miller that he’s his guy and he has confidence in him. He wants consistency in his staff. If Haley doesn’t get an OC or HC job, then maybe he’ll come here and coach the QBs until something else comes up which would be a win for us. Haley will get the most out of our QBs. If not, our search continues. Either way, our QBs won’t stand a chance without an offensive line. Draft an OT(preferably Martin), re-sign Brown to something affordable and move him to RT. Make a push for either Nicks or Grubbs. NEED to do something about the o-line. Bridges and Hadnot are serviceable but are not elite. Keith needs to go, he may have potential but is always hurt. Re-sign Campbell and Marshall, Toler and Williams will be back from injury, sign a #2 WR(Manningham), sign an OLB(Spencer), draft a safety in rd 3 to develop behind Wilson, oh no I’ve gone cross-eyed….

If only it were that easy, right Darren?

15. By Steve on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Darren: I’m not so sure Haley gets an OC position this season with a team because of his abrasive personality. If he doesnt get a job offer do you think he takes a job with the Cards in the interim or do you think it’s more likely he just sits out the year and waits for something to develop down the road?

16. By Bigez on Jan 19, 2012 | Reply

Do you see the cards drafting any other position other than OL in the first round?

17. By WhoKnowsNothing on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

Kurt Warner – QB Coach?

Why not?

Have Whis give him a call and see if he is interested.

18. By keko Jones on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

Well folks, get ready for another predictable and boring offense in 2012 under Miller. It appears. That Haley won’t fit under Whiz budget. Sure HC likes the inexpensive Miller. We will continue watching how under-utilized Fitz will be next year.

19. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

Steve –

RE: Haley

Hard to say. If I had to guess, it’d be sit. He’s going to be paid by the Chiefs this season regardless.

20. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

Bigez –

RE: First round pick

Sure I can see that. Long way away.

21. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

Keko –

RE: Haley

Money way down on the list of reasons this wouldn’t happen. Not even sure it would even be a reason.

22. By 480CardFan on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, this is off topic but will the Cardinals Fanfest be a go this year seeing that last years strike may have derailed the event? I did notice they had the Big Red Rib and Music Festival or something at the arena in May last year. Is this the “new” Fanfest?

23. By cards62 on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

To Rod Graves (Go Cardinals and you are on the clock)

I think the biggest improvement we can make to our team in 2012 that is realistic is hiring an elite offensive coordinator. Haley seems to be the only one available now and of course he has Cardinal ties so it makes perfect sense.

If Kurt Warner or Peyton Manning are going to suit up in Cardinal Red we can live with Miller, but I do not see that happening in 2012.

2nd biggest improvement – upgrade our offensive line. If you want to be good year in and year out you better have a good DL and OL. Our OL has been subpar for as long as I can remember.

3rd biggest improvement is in QB play. Hopefully this will become an automatic result if we accomplish task one and two.

4th improvement – 1 more stud linebacker
    5th improvement – Another real receiver to complimnet Larry, our TEs and our running game.

Putting on my Cardinal GM hat this is my to do list. What do others think?

I think the 49ers defense shows up Sunday and they beat the Giants, but I will be rooting for the GGGGGGGG MEN as I hate the arrogant winers that root for the 49ers.

Go Cards and hopefully a lot of us can be online during the draft to interact about who we should pick and who we did pick.

24. By CORMAC on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

Is Haley a good OC? Of course he is!! But its obvious the cards are not his first choice. He is like a hot girlfriend with no loyalty, bound to leave you someday. Its clear he has a place in AZ if he wants it. If he does come in, give him the QB coach job, and make him part of the offensive playcalling and see if he can win the OC job.

Draft… Draft the best player available as always. Dont waste a first rounder. We need a few more vets in the line, because we dont have time to waste. Hopefully pick up a few prospects latter in the draft.

25. By drummer-1 on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

@Keko

People complain that we didn’t run the ball enough now you think we wont throw enough, man how can you complain about something that haven’t even happened yet…

26. By AZLOGAN on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I honestly cant believe that Whiz wouldnt want to bring Haley back at all costs. Our offense this year was at times just dreadful, hard to watch. Shouldnt the axe fall directly onto the OC? I can understand wanting to keep Miller around, so maybe he can make our offense as high powered as it once was (Under Haley). So my question is why not bump Miller down a spot and let him learn from someone I’d call best in the business, Todd Haley? I know that Kolb and Skelton are no Warner, but who knows maybe with someone with a lot more experience like Haley, could turn one of them into the second coming!
    Thanks again Darren, your replies are always greatly appreciated!

27. By Realist on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

Dear Everyone on the Todd Haley Bandwagon,
             I am so sick of this talk!!!  The reason the Cards went to the Super Bowl and had that amazing run was because of the ENTIRE STAFF. Also, let’s not forget the biggest reason KURT WARNER!!!  This guy is a Hall Of Fame QB.  He would make anyone look good.  What did Haley do without him in KC….. ahhh NOTHING!!!!! He took a young rising team and ran it into the ground, and now you people want him back…..why because he yells and screams…. are you kidding me!!!!  The players in KC damn near paraded Romeo Crennel around like he was the 2nd coming of god because they were so happy to have him. Why hasn’t anyone snatched Haley up yet if he is SOOOO AMAZING???  Maybe because those other teams see what AZ should, and won’t come near this guy with a 10ft pole.  It baffles me that people are so one sided.  No credit to anyone else for the success but Haley.  Haley proved he wasn’t worth the Charmin Extra Soft he wipes his butt with in KC without the coaching staff here.  If WHIZ wasn’t overseeing him, GRIMM (Hall Of Fame) wasn’t coaching to proctect Warner, and MILLER(current OC) wasn’t coaching the wide receivers (who set NFL records)…. then Haley would have never sniffed that KC job.  These past two years without Haley the Card’s have had a rotation at QB like a starting 5 in MLB.  I would love to see Haley with that…. Oh wait I did… in KC (Cassel, Palko, Cryole) and we all know how that turned out. With him getting canned MID SEASON…… how embarassing!   So let’s get off the mans band wagon. I think there are a whole hell of a lot more reasons the Cards have “struggled.”

28. By Darren Urban on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

480CardFan –

RE: FanFest

I would think, now that there will be a minicamp again, FanFest will again occur as usual. Minicamp was canceled with the lockout last year, so there was no chance for a FanFest.

29. By Jeff Wallace on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

I didnt real the posts but is Kurt Warner as QB coach even a long shot?

30. By Eric on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

I just can’t see with the stagnant offense, seeing that it didn’t need improvment. Lets hope I’m wrong. I agree with continuity, but only if its working, and a good OC schemes to his teams strengths, IE not running the ball enough, as usual, and having Skelton throw all those picks. Take those 5 games we lost by a little, dominate the clock by running the ball, and we could easily have been 13-3. Throwing the ball 40+ times a game with new QB’s?

31. By cards62 on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

Dear Realist

Go back and read previous posts on Haley. We are not saying he is the second coming of Vince Lombardi, but most of us want him back and think he will be an asset to our organizaton. I wanted Norv Turner not avialable so now I want the best guy available and that is Todd Haley.

Could Todd Haley leave us in two years sure he could, but so could Ray Horton and I do not see anyone saying ditch Horton including me. Mike Miller will only be a better coach in two more years working with Haley, and besides I want to enjoy the 2012 season and hopefully 2013 season with Haley.

Please remember Haley inherited a very poor KC club and in only his second year he won his division with Matt Cassel at QB. KC this year was hit very hard very early with critical injuries. I think his resume is very strong and being an OC is much easier than being a head coach. I think he works very well with Coach Whisenhunt.

Haley never had Beanie either and Haley likes to run the ball taking pressure off of our inexperienced QBs.

I want Haley, but with nothing happening it does not look good, but I will stay optomistic.

Go Cards and Rod Graves you are on the clock.

32. By BKKCard on Jan 20, 2012 | Reply

Whiz likes Miller cause Miller is a nobody that will do as he’s told – and continue to agree that he’s the OC when in fact it’s Whiz calling the plays.

33. By CORMAC on Jan 21, 2012 | Reply

Haley haters…… Remember how bad KC sucked before Haley? They had NOOOO offense. Then Haley came, added a few pieces and they exploded into a scoring machine. They went from being the worst, to being contenders. They went so high in Haleys first year, that when they stumbled the next he was axed. Haley helped build the new KC team, and it is poised to do well. How quickly people forget.

34. By clssylssy on Jan 21, 2012 | Reply

Dear Realist…interesting that you see yourself that way…LOL!
    Being from KC, and having family who are still somewhat connected to the Chiefs, I assure you that Haley didn’t run that “young” organization into the ground and that EVERYONE, from the Hunts to the fans thought he was the second coming of Hank Stram WHILE THEY WERE WINNING…that is the reality of the NFL! Kurt Warner didn’t take the Cardinals to the Superbowl by himself but was part of an extraordinary talented group of men, players and coaches alike, who had a winning chemistry…enough on that. If you pay attention, the Ravens aren’t in the playoffs because of their QB, but because of the supporting cast around him. Defenses win games, as we have witnessed for ourselves this year, and offenses need QBs who are accurate with O-lines that can protect. I am watching teams aggressively rebuilding their coaching staff while the Cards seem to have a unsettling complacency with people who are “coming along” when opportunities present themselves to recapture some of the old majic. I think it is great that there is an appreciation and loyalty between Coach Whisenhunt and his staff but what happened to all that optomism expressed when it looked like Haley would be rejoining our Cards? My guess, is money…isn’t it always? I would think Mike Miller and the rest would see this as an educational opportunity to learn under the Haley/Whisenhunt/Horton experience and getting to another Superbowl would open doors for Haley and Horton,and maybe others, if that’s what they want.
    There is such a thing as “striking while the iron is hot” but, it seems, the Cards are not going to be accused of that>

35. By drummer-1 on Jan 21, 2012 | Reply

@BKKCard

I want you to go to work on monday and when your Boss tell you to do something tell him no, and then come tell us how long the unemployment line was…
    Maybe thats why Haley’s looking for a job because he didn’t do as he was told..

36. By BKKCard on Jan 21, 2012 | Reply

Drummer – bra where’s the love?

There’s a difference between being a yes man, and an effective XO (Executive Officer) so to speak.

If I was busy licking the bosses boots, our department would be many times worse off. So yes, I tell him NO all the time. However, at the same time, I’ll more often than not have a better alternative.

On the flip side, the unemployment line is probably full of YES men… why? Cause they bring NO value to most enterprises.

However, in the case of da Whuz, perhaps he is a tyrant and enjoys surrounding himself with yes men.

37. By BIG RED on Jan 21, 2012 | Reply

I just hope we don’t pick-up Haley, that man was just at the right place when he was here during the super bowl run. Boldin, Fitz, Breston and of course Kurt Warner, what coach wouldn’t be successful with that punch. What did he prove in KC, nothing and besides being release of his duties. I just don’t think he can get along with his players (with the exception of Fitz). I say NO to that crazy coach, Right Boldin.

38. By skeletor on Jan 22, 2012 | Reply

How about Warner for QB coach.

39. By clssylssy on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

How many times do you have to say it before these folks get it…Warner has no interest in coaching so let’s move on to the next “oldie but goodie”, Peyton Manning…now that would re-instill some excitement and confidence into the Cards fans, who know about the players…Haley had a good season his first year in KC but you have to have the right players to win and even then it’s not a one man show.
    I think Haley would fit great with the Ravens since the Cards think they are going to do better (for a lot less money…surprise, surprise) and obviously the Ravens are a solid organizaation with senior players focused on the SB year after year.
    Next year is looking bright for the Cards but is going to be competitive so I hope now that we have a good D, it’s not back to the old habits of shopping in the bargain basement.

40. By Daniel on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Hey darren do you think the cardinals will sign horton for some more years or have the allready done that ?

41. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Daniel –

RE: Horton deal

I don’t know why you’d sign him to an extension right now. He’s been here one year.

42. By tdacktle on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

scenario: Bring in Ron Turner (just got fired from the colts) and P. Manning… Might be to good to pass up. Having a franchise willing to go the extra mile to make a QB comfortable??? Your Thoughts?

43. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

tdacktle –

RE: Turner/Manning

Well, Manning isn’t available. So there’s that.

44. By tdacktle on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

Suppose I should have worded that differently.

Do you think bringing in Ron Turner would be enough to sway favor towards the cardinals franchise if Manning comes up for FA? (yeah, that sounds a bit better) ha

45. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

tdacktle –

RE: Turner/Manning

So, so, so many things that would go into it before that. I don’t even know how close Manning and Turner were. I’m not making a hire based on that.

46. By Daniel on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

okay Darren

didnt know how long his contract was but when you say it like that i guess its longer.

I believe that the cards are getting back in the game next year.

Darren

if you should make a mock draft of which positions that needs to be filled please tell :)

Greetings from Denmark