On championship Sunday, a little Cardinals

Posted by Darren Urban on January 22, 2012 – 10:29 pm

As the NFL sorted out its Super Bowl participants (I’ve found this weekend always much more interesting when the team you are covering is playing, but hey, that’s just me), the Cardinals once again peeked out and created a small stir thanks to a couple of reports on pre-game shows. The biggest, of course, was Adam Schefter’s note that the Cards would likely be interested in Peyton Manning if he became available, which, of course, is the same thing Charley Casserly was saying a couple weeks ago. Nothing has changed of course. I think, given the situation at quarterback, the idea the Cards would want to kick the tires on Manning seems fairly straightforward and perhaps obvious.

My thoughts haven’t changed. It doesn’t surprise me, nor is it something I didn’t already think. But there is a lot that must occur before anything could happen (stop me if you’ve heard this before). A released and healthy Manning? I just don’t see it, and no, I haven’t been talking to Rob Lowe. The hardest part is the health decision with the guy; there is a tiny window between the time Manning’s $28M roster bonus is due (March 8) and the $7M bonus due Kevin Kolb (March 17).

Meanwhile, I’m breaking every rule I set for myself by helping with this speculation. Again, let’s see Manning on the market first.

– On a secondary note, Casserly reported the Cards will be interviewing former Raiders head coach Hue Jackson for their vacant QB coach position. I know a couple interviews happened last week, and as I have said, some will take place this week in Mobile at the Senior Bowl.

– Top Tweet of the night, by far: Cards defensive end Calais Campbell, in the moments before the Giants booted their game-winning field goal: “I would block this kick.” Love the well-timed, simple Tweets. Simply awesome. And probably true.

– So, as raised by @RayBeingRay on Twitter tonight, the deja vu possibility: The Cards were 5-11 in 2006 and 2010. They were 8-8, along with a Giants-Patriots Super Bowl in 2007, and 8-8 with a Giants-Patriots Super Bowl this year. In 2008, the Cards went to the Super Bowl, and  ….

Ahh. We’ll see.

Tags: , ,

66 Responses to “On championship Sunday, a little Cardinals”

1. By Gabriel on Jan 22, 2012 | Reply

You need a quarterback to repeat, drag kurt outta retirement

2. By cdubbbbb on Jan 22, 2012 | Reply

EHH… If they have determined Kolb IS NOT our guy then hey im all for posdibly picking uo Manning. But if they still like Kolbs potential, lets not ruin it.

Id much rather pickup one of the many great Receivers available in FA or pick up a good LB possibly both for the same price manning would cost. I guess im just tired of az sports teams depending too much on one personl/position. If we could build a really good team around our current QBs and franchise guys v(fitz, dockett, wilson, peterson, washington, etc…b) then we will be MUCH better off in the future and an all around complete team.

3. By Trevor on Jan 22, 2012 | Reply

Some say the past repeats itself. Looks like it may be sooner than later for us Cards fans :) with the exception of a Super Bowl win this time like it should have been before.

4. By cdubbbbb on Jan 22, 2012 | Reply

And I really truly believe this team, if it is in fact the team that showed up the last 9 games and not the first 7, that we are a playoff team that could do some damage. I mean our defense started looking as good as the Niners D towards the latter part of the season. And our offense has the potential, as is, to blow San Frans offense out of the water….. And they were a botched KR away from the SB. We got this guys! This ain’t your barely older brothers Cardinals lol! This is a team that is a few players away from SB contention, and to be honest, its not a QB. More like a RT, LB, WR…..

5. By cdubbbbb on Jan 22, 2012 | Reply

As of now, how much cap space do we have to work with this offseason?

6. By B-Rad on Jan 22, 2012 | Reply

Peyton as our QB? Sounds like a dream to me. First, he has a neck injury that has him questionable for ANY return to football. If he were in top or allowable condition, why would they release him when he could either be trade bait or signed for another year to coach Luck. Love to see him as a Cardinal, if he was healthy. If he was healthy, he would be a Colt! Someone explain this to me. I would love to see him on a red uniform, just don’t see it.

7. By Angus Flynn on Jan 22, 2012 | Reply

the manning/fitzgerald combination would be unreal

8. By PACardsfan on Jan 22, 2012 | Reply

get Wes Welker if, and (yes, I know that’s a BIG IF, as NE will by far resign the stud), from FA. As for Manning, P., see the Welker sit. (not gonna happen. He will retire a Colt reguardless if he plays again or not). Other then sweet dreaming, the Cards have a lot to be proud of and cont. improving this off season. The D has stepped up and u need a good D to keep ur team strong. Getting Toler back will improve them even more. Get CC a new contract. HE’s a breast! With Ryan Williams hopefully getting back, the running game will improve even more, giving Beannie and LSH a good trio. I like Roberts and I know Douce was improving, but if we can get alittle better at WR,then whom even is the QB, the Cards. will be set. Heap (if healthy), and king with Rob H. as TE too….:) O-Line gets better….The team looks good!

9. By Carl on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

While not the same you could make comparisons with Warner taking over for a injured leinart to get his shot and skelton getting his chance with an injured kolb. I have actually noticed this weird history repeating its self sort of thing a few weeks ago. Hope for a Patriots win because then our deja vu will have us beating the steelers next year :)

10. By Pheenic on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

If Manning becomes available, GRAB HIM. He would do so much for this team. I know getting another older QB isn’t looking to the future, but he still has 3-4 years of quality playing left, and in those 3-4 years, he could train up a successor while winning a couple Superbowls.

And c’mon, who doesn’t want to see a Manning-Fitz duo?

11. By Mitchell on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

One that will never happens and two I we get manning we cut kolb. And imagin this, fitzgerald down deep and manning chucking it to him. We would be unstoppable!!!

12. By Jon on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Great work as always. I was wondering which of the current Cardinals players will be available to go on the practice squad next year? If I remember correctly it isn’t just based on number of years in the league.

13. By nrdpmp on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Well, lets see what happens, right Gabriel…

14. By CJ on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Only problem with a true repeat is that we lose the Super Bowl.

15. By Thomas77 on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

I know where you’re headed with that “and….”

I just hope that by March 17th, you’ll be able to complete that sentence….

16. By D on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Adam Schefter just trying to steal some spotlight, non- story. Hugh Jackson is a good coach. Besides A. Brooks the Cards should also go after K. Williams, he has speed and I don’t see him returning to SF. (sf needs to be angry at tedd ginn)

17. By Chuck on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

I hope it happens.Payton Manning + Arizona Cardinals = Super Bowl !

18. By joe67 on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

My thoughts after watching all the playoff games:
    Our Defense is right there with any of those teams. Maybe not better yet, but right there.
    Definetly need one of our QB’s to step up.
    O-line difinetly needs some help.
    Not that far away, but for sure, we need a good off-season.

Regarding this column, no way Payton comes here with this O-line and this current group of receivers. Improve those two areas, and yes I think he would at least consider.

19. By Sweet Daddy on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Peyton Manning is the missing part to the puzzle that we need..

20. By Jesse Robles on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

This time the Cardinals are going to the Super Bowl with Peyton Manning at QB baby!! No off season, let’s keep our momentum from being 7-2 at the end of the regular season going into next season. Rise up Red Sea!!

21. By RelayTV on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Actually our QB situation is similar too.

We had Warner and Leinart trading the starting job back and forth in 2007. (Exactly like we had Kolb and Skelton splitting the starting role this year)

In 2008 Kurt won the starting QB job in the pre-season, and we won our division…

Just as I expect Kolb to win the starting job in training camp, and take us to a NFC west crown this coming season.

Anything more than that would be icing on the cake.

Deja Vu baby!

22. By clssylssy on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Payton Manning is an all-time great QB, who, I hope will have the good sense not to try and play again after suffering the injury he did at his age. I would hope that the Cardinals interest in him would be as a QB coach as he’s not going to be able to keep up with the younger guys, the Cam Newtons and Andrew Lucks, etc, Dragging out the oldies but goodies more often than not, will just bring tears. Sure hated to see the Ravens lose but that was a great game and it was sweet to see the 9ers get so close, only to have victory snatched as they were getting ready to savor it. CAN’T WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR! THANK YOU CARDS!

23. By Chance on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

I just got giddy with excitement actually visualising Peyton in all red.

24. By Andy K on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Will John Skelton and Kevin Kolb have equal chances of getting the starting job?

25. By Darren Urban on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

cdubb —

RE: Depending on one position

Much more important to have a good quarterback than anything else. Always must be priority No. 1.

26. By Darren Urban on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

cdubb —

RE: Cap space

Don’t know right now, but to be honest, cap space shouldn’t be an issue.

27. By Darren Urban on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Jon —

RE: Practice squad

You are right, it is based not on years in the league but “accrued seasons,” which is based on how many games you play or are on the active roster. Little early to be worrying about the practice squad though.

28. By Darren Urban on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Thomas77 —

RE: Sentence

Um, no way to be able to complete the sentence I had in mind by March 17. Maybe a year from today, but not March.

29. By Darren Urban on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Andy K —

RE: QB and “equal”

IMO, I wouldn’t say equal. I think Kolb will go into the offseason as No. 1. But I wouldn’t rule out Skelton as a possibility.

30. By Jeff Gollin on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Funny, the Giant – Niner game proceded pretty much the way Coach Harbaugh would have scripted it – i.e. SF plays conservative, mistake-free football and “let’s the Giants come to them.”

Problem was – the two ST miscues by rookie, Kyle Williams (subbing for Ted Ginn Jr.). Those mistakes aren’t made, and SF follows the Harbaugh script & winds up in the Super Bowl.

Note – Living in the NYC media market I’m gearing up for 2 weeks of hell, (i.e. All Giants All the Time; everywhere).

31. By Paul H on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Here’s the problem with guys like Schefter and Casserly. You don’t know if they are “reporting ” or giving their opinion. Did Casserly actually get information that the Cards will interview Jackson or does he think they should interview Jackson. Big difference. On Manning, Casserly later stated that it was his personal opinion that the Cards should try and get Manning. Schefter just throws darts and hope he hits sometimes. Take what he says with a huge grain of salt.

32. By Darren Urban on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Paul H —

RE: Jackson

Casserly said a source said the Jackson interview will happen. I have heard similar things.

33. By Paul H on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

@ D , Hey D, not a good day to suggest that the Cards should try and pick up Kyle Williams. Just sayin.

34. By Chris on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Darren.

Some news in terms of evaluation of kolb´s concussion and/or contract-talks with CC?

Or is just everybody on holidays except you? ;)

35. By BIG RED on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

It looks like the Ravens could use a QB, so why not send Kolb to Baltimore for our very own Anquan Boldin. Everybody is saying we need a good receiver to go with Fitz, so why not Boldin we already know what he brings to the to the game.

36. By BIG RED on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

I bet Boldin would like that, cause in Baltimore they don’t know how to use him.

37. By Darren Urban on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Kolb/Calais

Mike Jurecki tweeted last week Kolb said he was doing fine and is ready to return to the field. Nothing new on Campbell.

38. By Joey G on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    The only thing that concerns me is what we are gonna give up to get Manning? Most of our studs are on D. Do we really wanna break up that chemistry in a trade for Manning? If we were to land Meachem or Manningham, combined with Fitz, we would be fine with Kolb or Skelton, I think!
    I.e. Warner with Boldin and Fitz. I think we would be better off going after an elite receiver instead of giving up half the team for Mannning. Am I wrong?

39. By Louisville Card on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

If Peyton is healthy enough to play next year he will be a Card I’m booking that. I live in the Indianapolis area and Luck is starting next year regardless of Peyton’s health so he’s leaving if he’s healthy or retireing if he’s not. If he’s healthy though he will be a free agent who will be able to pick where he goes, and if you look at the teams interested the Cards by far have the best talent and weather and an obvious spot for Manning to go.

Darren, could you see the Cards going after Nicks from the Saints, drafting Martin, going after Garçon and picking up Manning if he were healthy? If they do these things I can’t see how we don’t win 12 games next season.

40. By Dennis on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Cards QB situation:
    It would be great to get Manning; but being realistic Manning will probably never play again. His neck (fusion) injury is just one hit away from probable paralysis. Kolb has shown that he has concussion problems and they never go away permanently. That leaves the Cards with Skelton and whomever they can Draft or find in FA.

41. By Darren Urban on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Joey G –

RE: Manning

Well, you are wrong in the fact that it would take a trade. Manning won’t be traded. He will either be kept by the Colts or released to be a free agent.

42. By Darren Urban on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Louisville –

RE: moves

All those things are possible, although I don’t know how likely.

43. By DakotaCardsFan on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

The only scenario where I see Peyton Manning coming to the Cardinals is to fill the vacant QB coaching spot. If he’s still playing, it’s going to be in Indianapolis. But we can dream…and dreams are what this time of the year (post season/pre-free agency) is made of!

44. By brad oneill on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

my guess is our season next year got a heck of a lot harder yesterday when san francisco got knocked out yesterday. they are going to be hungry next year. peyton manning will not come here, i would love it but its not going to happen, if the man leaves indy it will be for a solid offensive line that gives him the best chance of finishing his career healthy. he might put his health at risk for a super bowl run our team looks to be competitive but worth the health risk no way.

45. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

@Big Red,

Why does Baltimore need a QB when the one they have outplayed Brady yesterday?

46. By Jahstone on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

I like a motivated Hue Jackson, as well as the way Darren thinks. There is BUZZ here like never before. Kudos to the AZ Cardinals for really trying to change the culture here; we are very appreciative!!

47. By cdubbbbb on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

QB is the most important position on.your team. But SF, Baltimore, NYJ, Atlanta… Have all proven you don’t need an all pro HOF QB to have success. When you have a team that’s built well from the Lines back, A QB of Kolbs level is good enough to lead that team to the holy grail of football. Just my opinions….

48. By Darren Urban on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

cdubb —

RE: QB/success

Fair enough. But what do SF/Balt/NYJ/Atl all have in common?

Everyone is wondering if their QBs will ever be good enough to actually get to a Super Bowl and not fall short in the playoffs every time.

In the end, what is the ultimate goal?

49. By Born n Bred on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

I really like the Hue Jackson thought…Good football mind i think.. I believe he’ll bring a certain personality (and a Buffer for Kolb) and hopefully a well recieved philosopy.. I would still like Haley too but like Jackson im sure he’s looking for a OC job somewhere..

50. By Stephen McGlothlen on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Please use our money to invest in somebody else than a QB this off-season. Manning hasn’t proved any reliability in a game situation yet after a NECK SURGERY. I’m under the assumption that it could have had more of a mental than physical impact on Peyton. He’s easily one of the greatest QBs of the last decade, but to go as far as investing money when we should be putting it somewhere else is basically shooting ourselves in the foot. Put a carbon-copy of Cambell on the opposite of Docket. Spend a pretty penny on a great Pass Defender and Skelton, with a year or two more under his belt, will be able to start hacking away at defenses like Kurt used to. John Skelton is bigger, stronger, and reminds me in more ways than any of our QBs or Kurt Warner in the way that he runs our offense. I would hate to see all of that money wasted when we could really buy ourselves a better future team.

51. By William Barry on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

It would be great to see Manning in a role, I.e, QB coach…but realistically, I think he thinks he can still play…but I would be cautious since he had a neck fusion. I hope the Cards do their homework and get another stud WR..We could use help there and on the offensive line.

52. By Scott H on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Reality is often an un-welcome intruder into the world of…what would make us happy. And the reality of this is that Manning has had THREE spinal fusion surgeries in recent memory. How can his body POSSIBLY be able to withstand the beating that an NFL QB takes??? Do people REALLY expect him to return to playing and to be able to keep playing? I love the guy and would be sad to see his career be over. But he is a MAJOR injury risk for anyone who takes a chance on him at this point.

Being able to throw is one thing when you are working out or on the practice field. It is quite another when you start getting slammed to the ground by the freight trains that LB’s and DE’s resemble these days.

If I am his doctor OR his family, I tell him to walk away while he CAN still walk.

53. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Why would Manning come here? Why would the Cards sign him after he was released supposedly because of the neck? (Doesn’t pass the Indy physical yet passes the Cards?) Can’t he push back the roster bonus, throwing a wrench? Why WOULD the Colts give up on the greatest QB of our time? Money? If it’s money, couldn’t they franchise him? (And I realize that he’s at the top of the heap, but the slotted average money will be less than the 28 million owed, or is the roster bonus a chick before the egg situation?) And what a PR disaster that would mean to the Indianapolis community.

In short, don’t see it happening.

And how are Stafford, Rodgers and Brees doing in the QB- driven playoffs?

54. By Scott H on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Three short years ago, it was the Cardinals in that NFC ttitle game…I swear, I can still feel the adrenaline sometimes! What a game that was…

Anyway, as much as I was glad to see the Giants move on because they ARE the better team, I could not help but be impressed with the 49ers. And as much as I hear people being impressed with Alex Smith, I just am not. The 49ers and Giants were about as evenly matched as any two teams could be yesterday – except at the QB position. Smith just never made you feel like he could / would LEAD that team to a win. But Eli Manning kept getting up after ANOTHER sack and just kept firing. That was the difference yesterday.

Wonder if the SB could possibly be as good as the games we saw yesterday…such a GREAT day of football.

55. By NMcardsfan on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Whats all this QB talk? Manning has just a few short years ahead of him and Kolb is fragile. Skelton has showed poise and confidence when it matters most. He is only a second year player, I say he is the future QB. At least he is smart enough to throw to Larry.

56. By georgiebird on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

Darren
    A younger/healthier Peyton Manning has a losing record in Playoff games- why is everyone so crazy to get him?
    It’s time for Whiz to earn the big bucks and straighten out the QB situation. His trade for Kolb set the Cardinals back a year or so. And all I hear about Kolb is that he beat Dallas. In 2010, Skelton beat Dallas and he was only 6 months out of Fordham.

57. By Thomas77 on Jan 23, 2012 | Reply

RE: Sentence

Okay, so maybe by March 17th we’ll be able to at least help fill out the next sentence. Cause the similarities would continue if we picked up another aging, Hall of Fame bound, Super Bowl Ring carrying quarterback. Just like we had before. And my guess is, if the Cards are gonna go that way, they’d prolly have to make a decision before Kolb’s bonus is due, as I’m not sure why they’d hang on to Kolb while doling out more cash for Peyton. But anyway….

You know, I know you want to stay away from the whole “Peyton Manning to the Cardinals” talk. But I think you should do a little piece on his injury. I don’t think most of us really know what’s up with him and how serious, or unserious (is that a word?), it really is. I mean, we all hear “Peyton Manning could be coming to the Cardinals” and we all start foaming at the mouth. But honestly, what’s the real deal with his injury? How serious is it? Is there any precidence to compare it to in the history of the league…or any other sport for that matter? I know you’re not a doctor, or a medical specialist. But it would be nice for Cardinals fans to see something, links to websites, a recap of his injury/recovery timeline and so on. And call something like “A sobering view of Peyton Manning and the Cardinals”…er, something. I know we don’t make the decisions — but it might help the fans take a step back and inspect the kool-aid a bit more before taking the sip….

Also

58. By cdubbbbb on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

To be fair, Trent dilfar won a SB in Baltimore, Rex Grossman got to the SB in CHI, Flacco outplayed Brady because his team is just built as a complete team and was a FG miss away from possible SB, and Alex Smith n the Niners were a couple fumbled kick returns away from a SB.

I think those type of guys can get it done, just gotta give em a great D and some confidence.

59. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: QB playoffs

Um, someone has to lose. Given that Eli and Brady are the two QBs still standing, I’m willing to stay behind “QB-driven.”

60. By Darren Urban on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

Thomas77 —

RE: Manning injury

Here’s the thing: The last thing I want to do is write so much about this that it takes a life of its own. Part of the problem here is that no one has the answers to his injury, including the Colts, which is why this is such a conundrum. I would think the Colts writers have written about it, and everyone is free to check out indystar.com or whomever.

If Manning is released, that would change things. Until he is released, however, it’s all moot.

61. By Angela on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

We allready have a broken QB, why would we need to trade one broken QB for another, except maybe that Payton won’t drop back so far out of the pocket that it appears he is RUNNING from the game. Unless we trip wire Kolb, he is going to keep doing it, and his passes wont hit the player he is sending to. Skelton could be our guy, he never really got to have his rookie year, but each time our Golden QB falls on his butt, Skelton is there to pick us up. And allready showed he played better that I hurt my toe Kolb. (Remembering how Beanie played with injured knee)
    Lets work on getting an off coach to work with the QB we have.

62. By Brian on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

If the Cardinals sign Manning, I would be more than happy to pay 150% of my season ticket prices, as would most people in my section, I believe. I think it’s near certain Manning is released, and I also think it’s near certain that any team that wants him is going to have to roll the dice with a contract that will have huge risk… will he play week 1.

But with Skelton playing as well as Kolb, I think we’re in a unique position to roll the dice.

I know it’s not me that has to write the check… but I really hope Mr. Graves and our owner is willing to lay it on the table when the chance to get on of the top 3 greatest QBs of all times comes around… WITH NO COST OF DRAFT PICKS.

63. By Scott H on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

AndyStandsUp –

C’mon now…are you REALLY going to question how Brees / Rodgers / Stafford are doing in the playoffs when the two teams who are still standing are led by Brady and Manning??? Really? Perhaps if either Flacco or Smith had won on Sunday, you could make this point. With two teams clearly driven by passing-oriented offenses and two amazing QB’s moving on instead…there is no point.

Consider instead the fact that the majority of the teams in the playoffs this year ARE led by THE top QB’s in the league today and are CLEARLY pass-first teams, and you come to the inevitable conclusion that this IS a QB driven league. By necessity, only two teams can go to the SB. That means, ultimately, many great QB’s will end up watching from home. But the two teams that are there this year are led by QB’s that are as good as any in the league right now. Neither has a great running game ( or even a GOOD running game , for that matter ) and only the Giants play solid defense. So…what got them there??? Special teams??? No. Great offenses led by great QB’s.

64. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 24, 2012 | Reply

@Scott H
    Of course, I realize the league is QB driven. It’s not like I’m a total idiot that works at McDonalds or Walmart.
    I was merely stating, okay,maybe ribbing, that the three QBs who had the best season this year over Brady and definitely Manning lost, while Smith and Flacco moved on.
    Did their defense play a large part in that succession? Absolutely. Kinda like the Giants and Patriots D in getting their squads to the SB.

65. By Scott H on Jan 25, 2012 | Reply

OK, I hear you. Actually, while the Pats D has been horrible all year, they have actually played well in the post-season. I also think you may be selling Manning a little short. Take a look at his numbers this year. He’s no longer a 2nd tier QB. His numbers put him right in that elite class. And in a few weeks, he may also have more SB wins than Rodgers or Brees. Or many other great QB’s you could name, past or present.

2. Jan 23, 2012: On championship Sunday, a little Cardinals | football-feed.com