• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

The business of football

Posted by Darren Urban on January 27, 2012 – 11:49 am

I remember one time talking to a player about relationships with coaches, and — being a younger guy, only in the league a couple of years — he was disappointed he couldn’t/didn’t have the same kind of relationship with his NFL coaches that he had in college. The trust level wasn’t the same, and that was realized with a lack of playing time and the reality of guys getting cut.

But that’s how it is. That’s pro sports, and that’s the NFL. The problem, of course, is that — regardless of both that reality and the fantasy football world many fans seem to view their teams — the sport is still inhabited by humans with human emotion.

That’s what I think of when watching how the whole Colts-Peyton Manning thing has developed, coming to a kind of head yesterday, a few days after Manning talked about how it was tough to get healthy in Indy because of the vibe of change and then owner Jim Irsay responded and then Manning responded again. They are now trying to say the right things and desperately not have this be another Packers-Favre melodrama, but is that even possible?

Clearly, Manning wants to play again. He probably wants nothing to do with a star-in-the-making replacement like Andrew Luck (I remember talking to Kurt Warner a couple weeks before the Leinart-Young-Cutler draft, when the Cards seemed sure to take a QB if one was there, and he calmly but firmly kept insisting the Cards didn’t need to take a quarterback.) Certainly it didn’t work well with Favre and Aaron Rodgers. Warner and Leinart was better, but then again, Warner is a different kind of guy.

All this reinforces the human element in this game. Feelings get hurt. Guys get angry, feel things are unfair. Winning always lessens the issues, but make no mistake, someone is always disgruntled. Nature of the beast. And the business.

Tags: ,

61 Responses to “The business of football”

1. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

@Darren,

Of course, defining the concept of “work well.” Had Leinart been another Rodgers I would have preferred a little more animosity between him and Warner (but yes, I get what you meant).

In light of your headline, do you get the impression that this has just as much to do with the Colts not wanting to pay Manning’s upcoming salary as it does with avoiding a Favre/Rodgers scenario? The skeptic in me reads a little into the firings of Polian/Caldwell as a way of setting the stage for Manning’s eventual release.

2. By Jesse on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Manning is the best/biggest thing to happen to the Colts since Unitas. He deserves more from the org and owner. If they are going to a more defensive scheme, Manning should have been front loaded.

3. By D on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

The question would be if Petyon would take less on his first year in a 3 year deal, say 10-15 range if he can play and wants to keep playing. Because there is no way of knowing his health by the time AZ has to pay Kevin his bonus in March..

4. By Travis on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Get Peyton to teach John how to read/dismantle defenses for a couple years(maybe win a sb or two). Then, help me if you can:
    D Y N A S T Y, did I spell that right?!

5. By Procen on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

It’s kind of sad, Darren. It’s a back stabbing business and you would not know it until the knife is already in your back.

6. By Darren Urban on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Mike Ellingboe –

RE: Headline/Colts

Actually, I believe that the only thing that would stop the Colts from hanging on to Manning is his health, not the salary. That, to me, is directly at the heart of the business of football, except for the other side. I think Manning isn’t happy Luck is coming. I think the Colts see a 36-year-old QB and know his time is coming to an end and are looking forward. Do I think they’d keep Peyton and take Luck if they thought Peyton was OK? Yes. Why not have Manning play two more years and then hand the keys over. Logic and history says Manning’s game will diminish by then.

Again, that’s the business — signing a contract knowing that the team already has set a countdown clock on your time there. Not fun. Not fair, necessarily. But it is reality.

7. By Darren Urban on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Jesse –

RE: Manning contract

First of all, a $28M bonus is about as front-loaded as it gets, considering his injury.

If the Colts give him his bonus, it’s my belief that he shouldn’t be able to complain at all. He’s going to cash the check, after all.

8. By Darren Urban on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

D –

RE: Manning future

If PM becomes a free agent, it is my belief he and his agent will force whomever it is that signs him to commit all the way with money, without really knowing what the health result will be. That’s why PM is going to be a huge risk.

9. By Darren Urban on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Procen –

RE: Backstabbing

Here’s the problem: No one is to blame for how it works. If the team doesn’t win, fans get ticked off and don’t buy tickets. It’s a monster that must constantly be fed, and it’s impossible to do so without hurting feelings and treating men — players and coaches — like meat.

Look at the flip side, like Norv Turner in San Diego. The owner is sticking with him. A humane thing to do. Yet fans are very, very angry. Mike Miller, for instance, is a good guy. But I don’t think any fan I have heard from that wants to dump him gives a fig about his life. Heck, people were making death threats to San Francisco’s Kyle Williams after the NFC championship because of a fumble, for God’s sake.

Down deep, everyone involved knows that how this all works. They know in the locker room their livelihood could be taken away quickly.

10. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

The huge difference between the Indy/Manning situation versus the Packers/Favre drama was that Favre wasn’t facing a career-threatening injury that could force him into retirement and the Colts must pay Manning the $30M+ roster bonus come March even though Manning hasn’t played a down since his surgery. Some pretty big variables there that should make the decision much easier and thus quicker to make for Irsay, especially with Andrew Luck available and all the success rookie QBs have had in the NFL recently.

The media will try to dramatize and give the Manning story legs for as long as it can, but the story is going to be over when free agency begins in March.

11. By Jesus on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

i guess Kold is going to be a bit bitter after Skelton lights it up. no really i do hope whoever the coaches go with does a better job then last year. i do like Skelton though.

12. By Peter on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

If the Colts do release Manning, what are the chances he goes to another team as oppose to retiring? If he does have a tendency towards playing again, what are the most attractive teams to got to? He seems destined to the NFC West, but I do not see the Colts parting with him that easily.

Having said all that, I bet a couple fans have stopped praying and started saying: Manning to Fitzgerald before they go to sleep.

@Darren I understand that there is little draft information and that there is no official “war room” but as a fan, who do you think the Cards go for in the first round? I’ve been over nfl.com ever since playoffs started and looked at the mock drafts. There is a lot of talk about Luke Kuechly, what are the chances of grabbing an OT in the first round instead? What are other needs that seem to be glaring at this time?

13. By AndyStandsUp on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

You know football is a business when a HOF QB can tweet that ownership is making him “uncomfortable”, “walking on eggshells” and still be inline for 28 million dollars yet a beat reporter can make an innocuous tweet about an owner and lose his job.
    Darren, do you also see this prejudice as pathetic and irrelevant?

14. By pipapiko on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Manning would be an idiot to come to the Cardz period! The Kolb trade was a bust, and the joke of the NFL about the Cardinals. Imagine if we had 2 lock down corners and just gambled on Skelton??? Oh well!

15. By Judy on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

No Warner didn’t want Matt Leinart or any other young qb here because the old buzzard was afraid of losing his job.

16. By Scott H on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Not related to the Cardinals, but since we’re talking about such relationships…I must say that I have very quickly come to like Aaron Rodgers for his laid back manner and low key personality. Apparently, he and Favre did not have the greatest relationship when they were there together. And that is further evidenced by the fact that Favre has never had anything nice to say to or about Rodgers. True, he doesn’t go out of his way to blast him, either…but he has said some things that have just come across as sour grapes. But Rodgers? Just smiles and goes about his business. Doesn’t bite when the bait is in the water. I think Rodgers truly believes / knows that he is a better QB than Favre already ( and, by the way, I absolutely agree with that ) but he doesn’t have to SAY anything. Even after winning a SB. He just lets his performance on the field say it all. I LOVE that about him!!! I also love that you kind of already know that Rodgers isn’t gonna do anything stupid ( and basically sociopathic ) like text his junk to a female ESPN reporter someday, but…that’s another story.

Give me Rodgers over Brett Farve any day, any where, for any game.

17. By SteveG on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

It so rarely ends well with the greats, from Y.A Tittle being on his knees with his head covered in blood, to Joe freakin’ MONTANA in a Chiefs uniform?

The NFL…not for long if you can’t produce!

Sports is a cruel business, we watch because there are winners and there are losers. The only one that always wins?

Time.

18. By in fitz we trust on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

wish boldin would come back lol

19. By cardsalltheway on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

“Warner and Leinart was better”
    I beg to differ, all that “grooming” never worked because when it came to utilize it Leinart got cut for preseason play and fans NEVER found it if it was worthwhile or “better.” Such short memories. The QB merry-go-round continues.

20. By cardsalltheway on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

“Logic and history says Manning’s game will diminish by then.” Such a bold statement, okay fine, now let’s apply the same logic, history, and diminished level of play toward players with major knee injuries returning to play the next year(2012)? Straight up with RB’s and CB’s.

21. By EV on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Lets say Peyton is Healthy and is a free agent which team do you think is the best fit? I know its an if and maybe but lets pretend here.

22. By Sir60 on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

I don’t believe Kolb will ever be a starting quarterback and make it through a whole season. I believe it was a concussion, in Philadelphia, that gave Vick his shot. If Kolb bumps his head on his locker door, he’s out for 4 or 5 games with a concussion. I don’t think PM is the way. I like Skeltons size and he is run able. Give him an extra second in the pocket and he’ll be fine.

23. By Darren Urban on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Peter -

RE: draft

Needs include offensive line, probably a receiver, and linebacker depth. What that means in the first round, no idea. I would think they would try and get the best player among those needs. Unless there is a guy there at another position that just jumps out.

24. By Darren Urban on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

Papapiko -

RE: “We”

What do you mean we? I thought you said you were a 49ers fan.

25. By cardsalltheway on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

“That’s why PM is going to be a huge risk.”
    Kolb has been injured 4 times in 14 starts, what about PM? He has 208 starts in 13 seasons = 1 injury
    Kolb is more of a risk. In fact, he’s probably on the concussion watch…
    “21 former players sue NFL over concussions”

“Do I think they’d keep Peyton and take Luck if they thought Peyton was OK? Yes. Why not have Manning play two more years and then hand the keys over.”

So, PM is still injured aye? You should also point out that it’s not just PM’s salary the Colts would have to pay if/when they sign Luck.

26. By Darren Urban on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

EV -

RE: Manning

I guess it depends on what Manning wants.

If it’s a close team that needs a better QB to put them over the hump, I can see teams like Baltimore or SF. But in both cases I don’t see them throwing enough or well enough to suit what he has always done.

I do think the Cards make sense in terms of an offense that will throw, a star WR and an indoor stadium.

27. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

@cardsalltheway,

Guessing you’re referring to Williams & Toler in the last sentence? If so, you might notice a bit of age difference between the players in question, and that Manning had three surgeries in the span of a year and a half.

28. By johnnybluenose on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

i doubt andrew luck has any interest in being mentored by manning or by anyone else. he wants to play now and i am sure he and his agent have made that clear to irsay and to anyone else who might have a shot at drafting him or trading for him. i expect manning to be released very soon. the only reason for irsay to keep him is if he has a buyer for luck after he drafts him, like maybe trading luck to cleveland for joe thomas, colt mccoy and cleveland’s first round pick in the draft. but even then i don’t see it. manning is done in indy. it’s time to move on.

29. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

@Darren,

Unrelated question to the topic at hand, but I’ve noticed a couple of digs at Flacco from you recently. Do you really think he’s Baltimore’s achilles heel right now? There was a time when I might have agreed, but Baltimore’s failure to get the dance this year can’t be pinned on him. Outplayed Brady, put the game-winning TD in his receiver’s hands, and gave his kicker a chip shot to tie. Could almost go so far as to say he carried their “D” through a pretty mediocre showing that day.

Just curious.

30. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

@Judy,

What kind of a Cardinal fan refers to Kurt Warner as an “old buzzard”? You’re not one of Leinart’s hot tub girls, are you?

31. By brad oneill on Jan 27, 2012 | Reply

if i was luck i would want to be behind manning, i know hyper competitive super stars don’t think like analysts, but a year or two to learn under the best with zero wear and tear on the body all the while collecting first round draft choice money has to be a good thing for a “sure thing”. he would know every week it was very likely he could go in with manning’s health and that would keep him amped and ready.

32. By Louisville Card on Jan 28, 2012 | Reply

Nice article Darren as always,

I agree that the Cards make the most sense. I also think that Skelton’s play actually makes it easier to pull the trigger on Manning. Only problem is Miami has the same Dynamic. In the end it’ll be a two horse race between the Cards and Miami but does Peyton really want to have to play Brady 2 a year? I don’t think so…

Your thoughts Darren?

33. By Darren Urban on Jan 28, 2012 | Reply

Mike Ellingboe –

RE: Flacco

I don’t recall any “digs.” But no, I don’t believe Flacco is consistent enough to be considered one of the better quarterbacks. That day, yes, he was let down by his team. I’m not saying he isn’t a quality QB, but I don’t rank him among the top guys. My opinion.

34. By Darren Urban on Jan 28, 2012 | Reply

Louisville –

RE: Manning

My thoughts are still that I don’t think he’ll ever be healthy enough to play again.

35. By Andy K on Jan 28, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    If Kolb starts off the next season with a losing record or Kolb suffers another concussion, will Skelton be the official starting Quarterback? Kolb still has a lot to prove but so does Skelton as well. I still don’t see why Skelton can’t begin the next season as the starting QB? I’ve been watching all of his games this year and he has proven that he can pass and be accurate. He has a stronger arm strength than Kolb and his accuracy has improved since his rookie season. I expect for the first time in his NFL career that next season if he starts, he will bring the cardinals to a winning season and complete at least 60% of his passes. Skelton is like Matt Flynn. They surprise you. John Skelton is like the next Tom Brady where both were drafted late and has proven that they were the best Quarterback out of the draft. I have never seen a Quarterback that is so complete. I know that you replied to my message and said that Kolb will be the starting quarterback into the offseason but Skelton has the abillity to become our Franchise Quarterback. John Skelton is young and Kolb is 3 or 4yrs ahead in experience but John has out performed Kevin not only in winning percentage but his skills were out performed as well. I don’t know why Skelton can’t have an equal chance on being the starting Quarterback of this team but he really deserves it. Kolb does deserve another chance and I believe that, but John Skelton has proven that he can be one of the best. I bet that Kolb will surprise us in the next season but if Skelton isn’t being used to our advantage then he will be taken in free agency when his contact expires and that is when regret will come in. Kolb is a perfect fit for many teams in the nfl but I just don’t see Kolb as the Franchise QB of this team. What ever the decision is, we will all have to stick with it. Positivity and Negativity will come out from either Quarterback selection but no matter what happens, I really hope this team will shine and go to the Super Bowl once again.

36. By alexu on Jan 28, 2012 | Reply

Seriously if one moree person mentions that Skelton has a better win percentage im going to get upset hahaha, sure it is true but…. IT WAS RAY HORTON AND OUR DEFENSE!!!!!!!! Give them some respect, not skelton. Just be smart, and realize Kolb is a better QB at the moment.

37. By in fitz we trust on Jan 28, 2012 | Reply

are u gonna post a blog about the whole denying mcnulty to speak with tampa situation? do u think this will cause any termoil? i know u spoke on how the head coach change in tampa will affect our orgnization, which it did, Whats is the ripple effect on this decision???

38. By jasonm on Jan 28, 2012 | Reply

Yeah , cmon everybody , if skelton gets a full offseason i would rather see him start than kolb , kolbs a good dude , but skelton can win regardless , I think because skelton wasnt a high draft and not from a big school he is not taken seriously ,but cardinal fans who watched every game this year saw something, yeah a bit sloppy ,(no off season ,also injury) , I think skelton is a winner and has the goods ,brady was a nobody, warner , so many others, and they proved otherwise , dammit make john skelton the starting qb ,and forget mannings retirement plan and concusion prone kolb please , u rule urban.

39. By jasonm on Jan 28, 2012 | Reply

And one more thing , I truly believe that had skelton started all of the games this season , we would have made the playoffs , we never needed kevin kolb , but i understand there was no way we were not going to try and upgrade the position when we have someone like fitz around, hindsight is an mf , let corn cobb go upgrade the offensive line and maybe one more high end reciever ……done ……playoffs ……..skelton ….

40. By John the Draft Guy on Jan 28, 2012 | Reply

Just a couple comments;

I love to play the mock draft game as much as anyone, but until FA hits, it will be tough to know which direction they will go. For instance, if the cards signed a LT, they most likely don’t draft Jonathon Martin.
    In order to guess at the pick at 13, you must guess who the cards will sign first.
    As Darren noted, OL, LB and WR are needs. I would add CB also because I think Toler and AJ are question marks.

I personally would not sign a LT and instead draft one by trading down out of 13 to pick up at least a 2. If you drop to the 20′s, you could grab a Tackle like Mike Adams or Sanders. Watching Adams at the senior bowl, he would be my guy. I really would like to grab another OLB, but Tackle is a must.

Donte Hightower was awesome in the championship game and could be the nice second round pick (via trade down) He is a big ILB that is needed in a division that likes to run the ball with Lynch, Jackson and Gore,

I watch Arkansas football and love Joe Adams at wr. He reminds me of Desean Jackson. Amazing quickness and break away speed. Would make a perfect slot guy. He could be the perfect target in the 3rd round. If the cards signed Garcon or Manningham, we would have the weapons Mann… whoops, I mean Kolb will need.

My other signings would be guard Carl Nicks and CB Terrel Thomas (if passes physical). Not to mention resigning most of our FAs.

41. By Dominaysean on Jan 29, 2012 | Reply

I like Andy K’s comment. Skelton has showed he can learn and improve . He can be coached and he did his homework and applied it . I do understand that with the $$$$ we put in Kolb that Whiz would feel he is forced to give Kolb an off season to show he can do better, but truth be told Skelton is the better QB for the job and it obvious to everyone. If Whiz wants to keep his job he should push to trade Kolb to the Redskins (even if it’s just a 3rd rnd pick) and pick up a vet QB to back up Skelton like he should have done last year…… I begged this organization to look at his injury problems over his ability last year and I also backed Whiz when he signed him. I’m truly saddened i was right about him. It doesn’t matter if he learns more of the playbook when as soon as he gets one good sack he is done for a third of the season. SKELTON IS OUR FUTURE QB and if this organization doesn’t already see that then they area as feeble minded as the rest of the NFL thinks they are.

42. By Darren Urban on Jan 29, 2012 | Reply

In Fitz -

RE: McNulty

I probably won’t post a new blog, but I need to update the other. As far as a ripple effect, there has to be some concern but the Steelers denied, for instance, Keith Butler from coming here and it didn’t seem to kill Pittsburgh. Again, it’s the business side which with everyone must deal.

43. By Andy K on Jan 29, 2012 | Reply

2.) DE Calais Campbell
    3.) DE Darnell Dockett
    4.) RB Beanie Wells
    5.) QB John Skelton

44. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 29, 2012 | Reply

@Darren,

I’m sure you’ve already heard, but it looks like Pittsburgh is finally having to say goodbye to Butler (pesky contracts).

45. By drummer-1 on Jan 29, 2012 | Reply

@ Dominaysean

What were you right about? Skelton already knew the system, he was here in 2010 so the no offseason didn’t hurt him as much, Kolb never played in this system and was still learning it with no offseason and Skelton had the benefit of playing with a better defense than what Kolb had in the begining of the season..

46. By Scott H on Jan 29, 2012 | Reply

Darren -

Heard you recently say that as time goes on, you would consider it less likely that Haley would return here to our coaching staff. Got that. Have you heard anything recently about where he DOES seem likely to land??? Seems like his name was frequently out there in the news, and then…it stopped. I guess I’ve been thinking just the opposite lately…which is that the longer it goes without him landing somewhere alse while all these coordinator spots are filling up, maybe the chances that he returns to Arizona increase?

Not much else going on….had to think of SOMETHING to ask about.

47. By Darren Urban on Jan 29, 2012 | Reply

Scott H –

RE: Haley

In terms of the Cards, I think Haley’s chances have nothing to do with his other options. I don’t see him coming here.

48. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

@Andy K,

You seriously have Skelton ranked ahead of Wilson, Peterson, Lenon, Rhodes, Sendlein, Colledge, Brown, Heap, Marshall, and Washington at this moment in time? May want to rethink that. Statistically speaking, he’s not even our #1 QB.

Will agree that he has the potential to be in our top 5, but for now I can’t begin to see that argument.

49. By Nor cal cards fan on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

Urb- I know this is kind of a repeat of Scott H’s question, but i wanted to ask u about Todd Haley. I can’t be the only one who has noticed all the OC positions around the league have been getting filled, and Haley still doesn’t have a job. I thought the whole reason why he didn’t want to come back to AZ was he didn’t want to take the step down from being a head coach all the way down to just a position coach (QB coach)? Obviously, if he can’t get hired as a OC anywhere, he’s going to have to be a position coach somewhere, or take the year off. You told Scott H that u don’t see him coming here, regardless of his options elsewhere. Why not? Do you think he won’t come here because it would possibly create a power struggle between him and Mike Miller? I don’t get it. Nobody else is hiring Todd, and the Senior Bowl came and went,and Whiz still didn’t hire anybody.

50. By D on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

per espn
    As of Monday afternoon, we’ve got an updated list of candidates, thanks to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Thomas reports that New York Jets Vice President of College Scouting Joey Clinkscales and Minnesota Vikings Director of Player Personnel George Paton will interview on Monday for the job. Thomas adds that the meeting with Arizona Cardinals director of player personnel Steve Keim — originally scheduled for the weekend — has been pushed back to this week.

51. By Darren Urban on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

Nor Cal –

RE: Haley

I don’t know if it would create a power struggle, but that would have to be a concern. I think the question from the beginning was how well Haley could fit here, and fit in the current structure. Could I see Haley taking a year off? Yes.

52. By Darren Urban on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

D –

RE: Keim

And I also noted it on Twitter.

53. By Angela on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

Please Kolb, I hurt my toe? and then I got dizzy, he had way more excuses for NOT playing that he had complete passes. and when he did play, he ran so far back in the pocket, it looks like he was running away from the game. I dont we need another broken QB, (Manning) we need to work with Skelton, who besides brought us to 8 and 8, won more games than lost. We need coaches to work with and improve the players we have.

54. By Darren Urban on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

Angela (and everyone)

RE: Kolb injuries

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is a comment that proves my point. I’m sure Angela is a very nice person, yet believes a Kolb concussion — which again, is when the brain bounces against the skull, for goodness sake — is him just being dizzy. The players aren’t human, right? Just pieces of meat out there for our enjoyment.

55. By Mike Ellingboe on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

@Angela,

Sounds like someone missed their calling as a doctor. Too bad most fans haven’t had the pleasure of experiencing turf toe and concussions.

56. By Dominaysean on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

@drummer-1 doesn’t change he fact that as soon as Kolb gets sacked he will get hurt and Skelton will be our QB anyways. Might as well cut the cord and use the guy who did better and knows the system better and is more durable and has a stronger arm and do i really need to keep going bro…. duh

57. By alex on Jan 30, 2012 | Reply

Honestly they way our defense and Beanie played over the last half of the season a QB like J.P Losman could have came in and won, we could have brought Shaun King out of 6 years of retirement and still won hahaha okay thats a strech. Comparing the Cards with the Broncos; the Broncos D and McGahee won those games to get them in the playoffs, not Tebow, sometimes you got to overlook wins. And seriously, Skelton did worse then Grossman, like the majority of you need to stop going on the Skelton bandwagon, Kolb is better, the stats don’t lie, plus it was his first year in the system in a shortened year, compared to Skelton’s second year in the system, And same goes with Stewart Bradley, going from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 in a shortened year, that’s got to be tough, and I definitally saw improvements from him. I like Skelton, but for now he’s a definite back-up, he reminds me of Joe Flacco, so until he stops reminding me of Flacco, I will start giving him the respect he deserves. Maybe I’m totally wrong, and we should just stop getting former Eagles…speaking of the Eagles; 2008 NFC Championship game, Warner screen pas to Hightower, I have never screamed so loud in my life, got to be one of my favourite moments.

58. By Marcelof on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

Kolb isn’t a trustworthy QB, he’s shown a dozen of unsolvable flaws. He’s Weak, or a total-no-lucky guy due to his injuries. Skelton may not be the man, but Cards should bring in an experienced QB, one who can better than any Coach pass on to young guys the real skills to survive the battle field. One thing is theory another is practice….

neither Skelton nor Kolb are a good fit for Arizona NOW. Maybe as high-level Qb’s backups.

59. By Scott H on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

alex -

Interesting that you defend Kolb by saying that it was his first year in the system but it was Skelton’s SECOND year…yeah, OK. And how many games did Skelton actually PLAY during that first year? 3, maybe 4??? Yeah, he really is a seasoned veteran, isn’t he? Gimme a break.

Shouldn’t we also have some consideration for the fact that Kolb has been in the league longer than Skelton, therefore, has more overall experience as an NFL QB? If we’re gonna use your logic, then it seems to me that should count for something, shouldn’t it?

Again, I’m not totally pro-Skelton or anti-Kolb. I just want to see the better QB play. And I think this past season totally left the door open for Skelton to make a case that he might be that guy. This is yet to be determined.

2. Jan 28, 2012: The business of football | football-feed.com