Peterson’s plea for five

Posted by Darren Urban on January 31, 2012 – 1:39 pm

It didn’t take long for Patrick Peterson’s teammates to realize he was something special as a punt return man. As fellow DB and punt return blocker Richard Marshall noted, “Pat P is the man.” Yet the oft-repeated mantra of Peterson’s, the one in which he just told his teammates to “give me five yards”? Peterson admitted now, it wasn’t so easy to deliver that message.

“Honestly, I was scared to tell those guys at the beginning of the season,” Peterson said. “That’s the same thing I told the guys (in college) at LSU but I was a veteran at LSU. As a rookie, I didn’t want it to come off the wrong way, ‘This guy is too cocky.’ I asked coach Spence (special teams coach Kevin Spencer) if I approached the punt return team, because I feel I can make something special every time I touch the ball.”

So in a meeting the week after the game in Washington — the second game of the season — Peterson made his plea.

“From that day on, I asked the guys and a lot of times they gave me more (room), and we tied the NFL record,” Peterson said. “They took heed in it, and without those guys, I wouldn’t be in this position.”

Peterson knows now, there will be plenty of weeks where kickers don’t even try to kick it his way, eschewing the chance at deep punts to avoid him. That’s what he always expected, and it doesn’t faze him.

“I have to make them pay,” Peterson said. “If they have 10 kicks and they want all 10 away from me, they will miss one of them. And that will be my opportunity.”

Speaking of opportunity, there was one for him to hold the punt-return touchdown record all to himself in the season finale. Peterson looked like he was about to get his fifth of the season, only to have Seahawks punter Jon Ryan barely catch his foot and trip up Peterson. With a smile, Peterson acknowledged the play still haunts him.

“I was actually was stumbling into the cut,” Peterson said. “I wanted to come all the way to my left. I saw a linebacker coming into my blind spot, and I did something unusual. Normally I get back to the sideline and all my blocking was on the sideline. Rashad (Johnson) was coming to pick up the punter and I just saw it too late. It was uncharacteristic. It hurt me to my stomach each and every time I watched it.”

Tags:

13 Responses to “Peterson’s plea for five”

1. By beardinals on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

Next year!! Woohoo!!

2. By joe67 on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren, off subject, has Greg Toler been around the team very much since his injury and has he been able to learn alot about the system? Hope he won’t be startng totally from square one.

3. By Darren Urban on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

joe67 —

RE: Toler

4. By John A. on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

Can’t wait he’ll have 5 this time and 5 ints to go along!

5. By Andy Altiveros on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

Patric Peterson is always a threat when it comes to kick off returns. He has to be considered one of the best. If he can stay humble and focused he can only get better.

6. By BIG RED on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

Darren, when do they start sending out the invoices for the season tickets buyers and by when is the final payment due. Let’s get them going.

7. By Darren Urban on Jan 31, 2012 | Reply

Big Red –

RE: season tix

I believe those packages are supposed to go out soon.

8. By joe67 on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Thanx Darren. Must have missed that one somehow.

9. By John the Draft Guy on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Food for thought;

Peyton Manning to meet with Irsey as early as next week.
    Everyone believes Manning to be released.
    Manning vowed this week he will play again and his workouts are on schedule.
    (insiders disagree and say his tricep nerve is not healing at the rate needed.)

Manning will be a free agent, looking for a team, before he has a clear bill of health.
    Who takes a chance? Who will follow his progress? Will someone jump early to beat out other suitors? Creative contracts?

I can’t remember a bigger offseason story. Emmett was on his down swing. Montana had a year or so left, Rice hung on too long. But Manning had one of his best years in 2010 and most people could see him playing at a high level for many years before the injury. This is not the case of a guy slowing down or getting old. That’s why it is such an intrigging story.

10. By Louisville Card on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

@John the Draft Guy

I totally agree with you this next week will be very interesting and a great way to start the off season.

Manning will get released and like you noted has been consistent in his comments that he’ll be back. Let’s hope it’s in a Cardinal jersey.

Chances Kolb is on the team next season seem to be fading quickly. Not really his fault but some players seem prone to concussions. If your going to take a risk next season on a qb which is what Kolb would be. Doesn’t it make sense to gamble on Peyton instead his upside is far greater than Kolb’s with almost the same risk. You have Skelton as your ace in the hole who allows you a serviceable replacement until Manning is ready to go.

11. By Rick B on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

So, when do the T-shirts with Peterson and his mantra come out? I’m ready to buy one.

12. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

@John the Draft Guy,

Agree that it will continue to capture everyone’s attention (only a select few wouldn’t want to find out their favorite team just added him to their roster?) but if Indy does let him go that’s too big of a red flag for my liking. Three surgeries and a release from an organization he effectively built would be a pretty strong indicator that his football days are behind him.

13. By mAHAm on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

@ellingboe

manning being released by the colts does not mean the decision will solely be based on his injury.

there is more to it than that. there is money, age, sense of security in selecting luck, gutting of personnel (which obviously is not going over smoothly with manning). all of these are contributing factors.