• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Manning hype/speculation just getting started

Posted by Darren Urban on February 1, 2012 – 10:56 am

At one point, the website Deadspin.com repeatedly pointed out how much ESPN was covering Tim Tebow. It was overkill, but with a purpose — people paid attention. There’s a chance, a good chance, the coverage of Peyton Manning over the next couple of months will put that to shame.

The Manning media train is just pulling out, beginning with Bob Kravitz’s story last week, gaining speed thanks to yesterday’s ESPN interview and the fact the Super Bowl is in Indianapolis. Certainly, the Cardinals are going to be in the middle of this tsunami of discussion — on the “Mike & Mike” show on ESPN radio this morning, the Cards and Manning were discussed not once, not twice, but three different times by three different guests: Adam Schefter, Cris Carter and Al Michaels.

(A quick aside: Manning hasn’t been released yet. I know everyone has just started to assume he will be — even I have to say it seems to be headed in that direction — but it’s not in concrete. Interesting note by the National Football Post’s guru Andrew Brandt, that the Colts would suffer a $16M cap hit in 2012 if they cut him. If they keep him, his cap number is $17M. A heavy price to pay either way — although if they cut him, they save $28 million in actual dollars.)

This is all going to come down to health, which has been repeated over and over. Just because Manning is throwing right now doesn’t mean much; it’s one thing to throw in January or February with no pass rush to open guys and another to do it in the heat of a game in October. Another thing to pay attention to is how he throws. Just because he can throw doesn’t mean he can throw with necessary velocity, which has apparently been the question as this nerve regenerates. Reading and hearing about the injury, it sounds less that Manning would face a greater risk of debilitating injury if he returns and more like his ability to play at a high level that could be the problem.

Manning said yesterday the doctors told him he was “on point” with his recovery, whatever that might mean right now. I have zero doubt that if Manning can still play physically, he wants to and will play. Add that to the fact that, you know, he was a pretty good quarterback the last time he took the field, and he will have a ton of suitors if he is released even with the questions about his health.

And then the coverage will make it look like Tebow squared. The National Manning League.

Tags:

79 Responses to “Manning hype/speculation just getting started”

1. By Jesse Robles on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to get this guy, once he is released. Bite the bullit on Kolb, it is ok.

2. By Chuck on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

If Payton is available we should go all out to get him.PM + Cardinals=super bowl

3. By DontTakeLoses on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Cards prospective QB depth chart: Manning, Kolb, Skelton

Whiz not shy about vets (Warner e.g.) and mike B has fat wallet. It could happen.

4. By joecb91 on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Why can’t we believe in the guys we have for once. All of this speculation is just disgusting me now.

5. By Judy on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

I am kind of torn about this.I don’t believe for a minute that Pryton Manning will end up here.But on the wild chance that he did,i am not sure how i feel about that.I have always wanted a young QB that we drafted,or traded for,one who could and would lead the team for the next 10-14 years.
    However this is Peyton Manning,that we are talking about.If he could play for a year or two,we could win it all.Not only that,but John Skelton could not have a better mentor to learn from.
    I say John,because i don’t believe we would be able to keep Kolb in we did get Manning.
    Oh well after all is said and done there will be a lot of disappointed fans here.Kolb will be happy though,to not lose his job.

6. By mAHAm on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

There’s no doubt that the Cards should and will take Manning if he is available

AND

they do not have to bend over backwards to get him.

comments about doing anything and everything to get him are just ridiculous….That’s not going to happen – not two years in a row!

Manning WILL PLAY HERE IF……He is released AND He wants to throw to Fitzgerald…..that is the only way – Manning has to want to come here – The Cards will not get into a bidding war!

7. By CJ on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

He’s not going to end up here. As much as I’d love to get my hopes up, it’s just not going to happen.

Quick question Darren,
    Can the Colts not trade him for some reason? It seems like there are quite a few teams willing to even take a chance on Manning. Can trades not happen right now per the rules or is it something in his contract? I just only see that they will release him but it seems it would make sense to trade.

8. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

CJ –

RE: Manning trade

Players cannot be traded until the first day of the new league year. That comes five days after Manning is due is bonus. Makes no sense for Colts to pay him $28M and then trade him a week later. Whatever they might be able to get won’t be worth $28M.

9. By Marcelof on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

well, there’s another big master point to be considered: once PM comes in, merchandise will fastly increase, money will be flowing in which may allow cardinals to take longer and higher steps from 2013 on.
    Football is not only a sport issue, but business as well, Payton can be a helluva player for sure, but only time will tell…. my opinion, IF he has to land in the desert is 100% positive. That might contribute a lot to Arizona concerning not only fotball but other issues too.

10. By TUCSTEVE on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

i dont want see why everyone wants another quarterback thats about to retire. but IF az does get him and we have for a few years and he retires we are right back where we started and fitz will be towards the end if his career as well. manning to cardinals is a bad idea

11. By drummer-1 on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

@joecb91

I agree with you..why not roll with what we have… The grass is not always greener on the other side..

12. By ben on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

sure is nice that the cards are in minds of the commentators, even if we dont end up with the future hall of famer its still nice that the cards are now a destination and not a punishment on players. keep it up CARDS. think we finally have the chance to have a sustainable competitive organization.

13. By Rugbymuffin on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Believe in anything you want, but reality is what pays bills, wins games, and get things done.

The scariest thing about the Petyon Manning situation is the question of if this team has enough outside of the QB position to be a championship team. On defense it looks promising, but on offense our O-Line is a scary situation, and our WR core is a Larry Fitzgerald injury away from being one of the worst in the league (IMHO).

I applaud the Cardinals for “doing what they had to do” in acquiring Kevin Kolb. Even if they keep Kolb, I understand, and wouldn’t be angry with the organization. It is just personally, I don’t see Kolb being a starter in the NFL. I just don’t see it. There are so many things “wrong”, IMHO of course, with Kolb’s game at the age of 27.

Of course, I have a lot of faith in Double Deuce (J.Skelton) but he is still (like Kolb is) developing. Furthermore, I have enough faith in Skelton that I am all for risking Kolb for Manning, and Skelton being the backup plan.

Agreed. This is all hype, all speculation, and all here-say. If you don’t like that kind of thing, then I question why anyone would take interest in the offseason since from the last game of the season to the first game of the next season EVERYTHING is speculation, and here-say.

Manning is something to talk about, and fans are going to talk about it.

14. By CDJ on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

im glad that im not the only one who thinks that we SHOULDN’T go after manning if he is let go by the colts. getting him would set us back when he retires just like warner did, itd be nice to finally have a franchise qb whos not on his last breath

15. By KYLE on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

hey darren,
    if peyton becomes available do you think the cardinals would have serious interest in him?

16. By kevin on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

have to be joking about Skelton. He reminds me of Anderson. Skelton to me is a 3rd string or 4th. Kolb is a lot better. We won our last games due to our defense. Kolb will be just fine this coming season. All bets on Kolb. We need a good back up behind Kolb though. Actually Skelton is a cross between Derek Anderson and Josh M who also use to play here under Dennis Green. Kolb has the mechanics and if we can keep him healthy we will be in the playoffs.

17. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Kyle –

RE: Interest

I do think they will have interest in him, yes. But at this point, that’s speculation. No one has told me anything.

18. By KDubADub1324 on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

ASSUMING he is HEALTHY and RELEASED, I think Manning would have to WANT to come here. AZ has strong elements and reasons to come here. However, the OL is suspect and if I were Manning I would have to see that AZ is willing to build one up for me. Also, what about Kolb? This guy was brought in as the future QB. He wasn’t great, but he wasn’t terrible last year either. He’s essentially an unknown and has shown strong potential to be the guy. I don’t think AZ has seen enough of him yet to make a determination. An off-season to prepare in this offense could benefit him greatly, and he could come back strong next year. In essence, getting Manning is short-term fix, and you would be parting way’s with what you believed was your future in Kolb. Plus they have big money invested in him, which they are paying him for a reason. There is Skelton, however. Right now, he’s a solid back up at best, also w/potential. Assuming Manning comes here, this will buy more time for him to develop. If all goes well with his development, then AZ is set. I like the young QBs they have right now and still like to see what Kolb can do. So either way AZ goes on this is fine w/me. But there are other teams that will be strong in the bidding as well. Assuming they go after him, I think the 49ers and Jets would be strong in the run too. Miami is on the outside I think. They have similar elements as AZ, but i think they may push more towards Flynn. Lets not forget, Reggie Wayne is an FA, and any team that wants Peyton could sign Wayne and use him as a recruiting tool.

As great as it would be to see him play, life is more important than the game. I personally think he should retire. I don’t know the extent of his injury, but it’s obviously a serious one, as it has been an issue for some time now and has required multiple surgeries. I don’t think he could reach 100% of what he was before. He has nothing left to prove either. He’s cemented himself in the HOF and as arguably the best QB to ever play; he’s won the Bowl, He’s won more MVPs than any other player, and he’s made his money. It’s time to chill, not risk the injury, be a Dad, and root on Eli…

19. By Cactus Jeff on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Kolb’s lack of arm strength doesn’t allow him to throw off back foot, If he can’t step into his throws he panics and runs.

Watch Eli in the superbowl, he constantly throws off his back foot. Great QBs need a certain skill set…Kolb’s limited arm strength when avoiding pressure means he will never be a great QB…let him go and try again

Peyton Manning
    Matt Flynn
    Draft a QB

20. By Javi on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

hey darren, as I was listening to the converstion of mike n mike with adam sheftner, I heard that teams will try to bring in a widereciever of peytons choice just to persuade him into going to that team……….the reciever that came up was Reggie Wayne, the cardinals are obviously trying to get the right #2 reciever, if the cardinals indeed do sign Manning, will they sign Wayne as well???????

21. By clssylssy on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Coming off the kind of injury and surgery PM had, he may “be on point” according to his doctors but that does not mean that playing in the NFL, especially, on a team without an O-line that can protect will be in his future. The term “healthy” is arbitrary…he may be “healthy enough to live a happy and productive life but not “healthy” for a life playing contact sports. He has had a great career and I’m sure there is some other nitch in the football world where he can participate. If the Colts let him go, that should be a BIG red flag to others…I sincerely hope the Cards have more sense than to get into a feeding frenzy and dump a King’s ransom on the Manning name. I also wish fans would be more concerned for KK and not underestimate the extent of his injuries or the lasting effects. This is a brutal sport and neck surgeries and concussions are not things that are going to improve. There is going to be a lot of talent both in the draft and the free agency and our first priority should be to sign players who will actually play and help us get back to another Superbowl.

22. By UK CARD on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren
    I have a question I’d like to field, am sure it will be shot down by many, but want to put it out there as it makes sense to me! What is the possibility of hiring Peyton as the Q.B Coach, with the intention of him playing if healthy?

Personally am routing for Kolb and have been well before the trade, and have been telling everyone to chill and give him a chance, of a full off season etc ! But when you think about the opportunity of getting #18 even in a coaching / mentor role, it changes a lot! I was also thinking Bruce Airens was going to be the guy, with the similarities between Skelton, and Big Ben, plus ties to Peyton! any way just wanted to chip in, in case I managed to plant a seed with anyone in authority!

also any rumors of any interviews following the senior bowl?

23. By Scharf on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Here’s my take. We have pretty decent QB’s currently on our roster. Kolb isn’t a bad QB, didn’t do too bad for his first year. Skelton isn’t bad either – although he has had at least one interception in most of his games it seems. Without getting into too much analysis. Kolb played with a new O-line and a new defensive scheme, mistakes were made. Skelton played behind a slightly better O-line, and a defensive scheme that finally started to click. I think we try and lure Manning here as a prospect, allow him to ride the bench and get 100% healthy. Meanwhile we allow Kolb/Skelton to start and eventually Manning can come into play. We will see. Unfortunately, you hurt someone either way – Kolb or Manning.

24. By Eazy E on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

WTH are some of y’all talking about? If Peyton is healthy, which looks good according to him and many doctors, I want Peyton. Kolb is due a fat 7 million dollar bonus and did you check him out last year:injured and terrible play. Don’t pay Kolb that bonus and cut his butt. You think with a straight face Fitz is going to pick Kolb over a healthy Peyton, you lost your damn mind, dude is smart he ain’t no idiot. I saw Mike & Mike and I loved what they we’re saying along with the analysts schefty, trent, cris, etc. You just ain’t gonna past that opportunity up unless your negligent and just plain stupid.

25. By John the Draft Guy on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Interesting comments above.
    Especially those of you not wanting Peyton. You all had the same theme; we don’t need an older QB who will retire on us. OK

Let me ask you this; If Peyton played 3 years for us, got us to the playoffs each year, and won us a superbowl. Then, he turned over the keys to John Skelton. Would that really be all that bad?

For a franchise who has reached the superbowl once, I think you have to make this move. If you felt you could get there with Peyton, you owe it to the Fitz’s, ADub’s, and Dockett’s who give their all each week.

Manning throws Wr’s open, makes average lineman look good, and would get leads, so Ray Horton can dial up the pressure.

Of course, everything comes down to Peyton’s health. But one more question for you all, If nothing else happened last year, and we had Peyton (obviously not the injured Peyton), how far do you think the 2011 cards would have gone?

26. By Jonathan on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

I think Manning would be a good influence for John Skelton to take over when Manning leaves after a few years. Skelton has potential and Sport Science did compare him to Manning. You can see it on youtube. Peyton can bring out Skelton’s inner Manning.

27. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Javi –

RE: Receiver

No. They already have Fitz.

28. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

UK Card –

RE: Peyton as QB coach

Why would Peyton do that when there will be a team that is willing to sign him to be a player? Peyton isn’t ready to be a coach anyway. If he was, the Colts could just keep him around for Luck.

No rumblings of late on the coach search.

29. By wayne on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

I would like to know what you would do if Manning is healthy and available? myself, I just dont know, get him for what 2 years and then we are back to where we were when Warner retired, I am “almost” thinking we develop Kolb or Skelton and then we might have a QB for 6-7 years or more. I know what 95% of Cardinal fans want, I would not want to be in Bidwell’s or Graves shoes if it is possible, because of what we invested in Kolb and what it would cost to get Manning.

Thanks, Darren

30. By in fitz we trust on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

cut kolb, use the money that was allocated to kolb and give it to peyton on a 2-3 year contract, instead of kolbs 5year deal. same amout of money just more per year that way it offsets. ( maybe i dont know what im talking about or worded that wrong ) but keep skelton to develop. id rather have peyton for 2-3 years over kolb for 5years. even if kolb gets better, he will never be in the same discussion as peyton. would be sick to wear a red 18. IF HIS HEALTH IS GOOD.

if peyton does get cut, why wouldnt he want to throw to the best wr in the nfl.

31. By BIG RED on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

How many Super Bowls have the Colts won with Manning as the QB… ONE in like 13 years. What makes you think he will get us to the Super Bowl right away or even win one for us. Sure, his good but not that great. Even his brother might win more super bowls then him. With the defense we are going to have, all we need is a QB that will just take care of the ball and be smart. I think we already have that in John Skelton with another year under his belt.

32. By stewart badly on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

QB depth chart: Payton Manning
    John skelton
    Brock Oswailer

I’ts only a dream, but it looks nice though.

33. By Brandon Orgeron on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren

Just out of curriousity, I know Whiz is from Gerogia. Do u know if he has ever eaten at Paula Deens restraunt? Just currious

34. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren, it’s assumed by most that if Manning were to play for the Cards, Kolb would be released.
    IYO, could the team afford both (financially and mentally)?
    It could be a “lighting a match in a fireworks keg” situation with either QB one snap away (literally) from ending their career. (And with the current porous line, the odds seem more likely.)

35. By jasonm on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

yes yes yes , Get Manning , cut corn on the cobb salad , skelton will have a huge oppurtunity to learn from the best , 3 years of manning and skeltons our starter and comes out of the gate playing at a high calibur done .

36. By sport245245 on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Easy E you have nailed it. Most reasoned post about Manning.

37. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Wayne -

RE: what I would do with Manning

If I were looking at this situation, I would try to get him.

Here’s the key: Yes, you figure he is older. But if he is healthy, what makes you think he will only play two years? Also, everything is a risk. Kolb is still going to be the guy in all likelihood, and yes, he is younger, but there is no guarantee he will pan out. If he does not, I’m sure people would be happy with 2 good PM years.

Honestly, at this point, the Kolb trade itself is moot. He is here, PM might be available to play. That’s the situation. Last year, and how Kolb was acquired, doesn’t really factor in anymore.

38. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Brandon -

RE: Whiz at restaurant

I have no idea.

39. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands -

RE: Manning plus Kolb

I don’t see it working just assuming the kind of money PM will probably demand.

40. By John the Draft Guy on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Big Red,
    The Colts set a record for most consecutive 12 win seasons and were always in the playoffs.
    The cards have been in the playoffs 3 times since moving to the valley in 1988. For those counting, that’s 23 years. winning seasons? 3 out of 23.

Maybe Manning doesn’t get us to the superbowl, but he will at least give us a chance.

Skelton threw more INT’s than TDs. Not exactly taking care of the ball.
    Plus, just because the cards have a good defense, they shouldn’t try to upgrade at QB?

Again, I’ll ask, if Manning threw 33 tds and 4700 yds (like he did in 2010) for the cards this year, how far do you think the cards would have gone?
    If you think playoffs, why wouldn’t you want him?

41. By georgiebird on Feb 1, 2012 | Reply

Peyton Manning has been in two SuperBowls in 13 seasons (he has a 1-1 record} and he has a 9-10 playoff record. Do you really think he has the goods right now to get the Cardinals into the SB?
    I would like to see the Cardinals get a fast WR and continue to stockpile linebackers.
    Biggest problem is that Whiz has botched two consecutive QB decisions. It’s time for Whiz and Graves to get the right guy in at QB or get out. .

42. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

Like anyone else, I’ll agree that a healthy Peyton Manning would make us a legit favorite to get back to the Super Bowl, but there is the major stumbling block. Indy won’t put a healthy Manning up for grabs to the rest of the league. Can’t see putting the brakes on either Skelton or Kolb’s future development on a whim that multiple surgeons and the Indy organization would make such a colossal mistake in assessing where he’s at physically.

43. By PACardsfan on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

Those who bash getting PM if healthy and released, make me shake my head. Yes, he may be one hit away from another huge injury, but look at Kolb. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Kolb didn’t look all that good (ok, I’l give u the agruement of no real offseason due to the lock-out and all), but he has a history of concussions if my memory is correct. He had one or two, I can’t remeber, everytime he was poss. going to start after weeks off, he had concussion like effects still. He is one concussion away from seroius injury away just like PM and every player out there. I do however fthink that PM will want Wayne if Wayne doesn’t stay a Colt and hits the market. I think Wayne wouldn’t mind being #2 WR behind Fitz. if that’s what PM wants and what it takes to get him (if avb.) face it, PM trhowing to Fitz., Wanye, Roberts, Doucet, with Beannie, Williams, and my fav., Hyphen, and HEap and King at TE……OL improvement….= great offense. besides, what harm is it to have to of NFL’s best WR’s. Look back in 08. Fitz./Boldin….(how I miss that dual:( )

44. By Corgon on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

A healthy PM means playoff in any division even with 10 soccer player in offense and a badger, a fish, prince Charles, snow white and the seven dwarfs in defense. It’s proved. I saw sneezy, sleepy and happy in the colt rooster 2 years ago. He was damn good at 2010 and if he’ll be healthy again, he’ll have a great season in 2012, because all the teams are far more better than the 2010 Colts.

45. By Marcelof on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

even though PM comes and does not play… cards’d be better off with him coaching Skelton or other than anyone else

46. By CARDS#1FAN on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY SOME CARDS FANS ARE SUGGESTING US TO NOT GO AFTER THE BEST QB OF HIS ERA BY FAR IN MY OPINION.SAYING WHY ARENT WE SATISFIED WITH THE QB ROSTER WE HAVE ILL TELL YOU WHY.FIRST OF ALL WE HAVE NO SIGNAL CALLERS THEY RELY ON THE COACH.THEN WHO WANTS QBS WHO THROW MORE INT’S THAN TD’S YEAR AFTER YEAR NOBOBY UNLESS YOUR JUST STUPID.I KNEW THE KOLB TRADE WAS JUST RETARDED MADE NO SENSE AND WHAT DID HE DO FOR US BESIDES LOSE GAMES NOTHING.IVE BEEN SAYING HE IS SOFT(FRAGILE)FOR A LONG TIME NOW OVERRATED FOR DAM SURE.YOU WANT TO SAY GIVE THEM TIME TO DEVELOPE FOR WHAT WE NEED TO WIN NOW.THEYRE TURNING INTO INT PRO’S THATS ABOUT IT AND YOU ALL CARDS FANS KNOW IT.LIKE I SAID HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU NEED LOOK AT ROOKIES NEWTON AND DALTON WITH NO TIME TO PREP DURING THE OFF SEASON STILL WERE PRODUCTIVE SO IM TIRED OF THE EXCUSES WE HAVE FOR OUR QB’S.PEYTON&FITZ=BEST QB/WR COMBO NO DOUBT.

47. By TUCSTEVE on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

can anyone tell me the stats of skeltons play the first time he played san fran? enough said

48. By Rob Milne on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

49. By Louisville Card on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

I asked a few months ago if you thought the cards would take a shot at Manning. Did you ever really think you would be writing Peyton Manning articles for the cards website? Funny how quick things change…

50. By SteveG on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

Great video for Aeneas….Well done.

51. By Marcelof on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

@CARDS#1FAN

totally agreed.

PM can play better than Kolb with on leg only.
    Kolb hasn’t bring anything to Cardinals organization and fortunately managers may know that.

we also have to consider that half of cardinals fan are against Kolb, so HOW IN THE WORLD CAN YOU HAVE A LONGTERM QB, A HERO, once his fans do not like him? that’s impossible.

Manning is the player Cardinals need to grown, not only as a team but as a organization

52. By NJAzCardsFan on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

If I said it once…. I will say it again. Manning is “Damaged Goods”. It is too big a gamble to pay the kind of money he wants to hire someone that has a serious spinal injury. He could go out on the field like Kolb did and get injured on the 3rd play and be out for the rest of the season. Keep in this mind with the Cards porous Offensive Line. Siging him could ruin the Cards for years to come. I still think getting rid of Kolb would be a plus as he appears to be too fragile to play football. Save his bonus money for a better investment on a FA.

53. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

@Marcelof

Watch a little more football before making that statement. Just about every QB who’s played has been on the downside of public approval. If Kolb/the team turns 8-8 into 13-3 he’ll be the toast of the town, and everyone will admire how he kept his composure through the hard times. Fans jump on and off QB bandwagons so often there’s no way to know if they’re coming or going.

(Editor’s note: THIS. Or do I need to break out the link from when UoP fans booed Kurt off the field in 2006?)

54. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

@Tucsteve,

No, but I can tell you what they were the second time we played them.

55. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

I’m guessing it’s lot easier to write about speculation than to actually do investigative journalism, so I can’t say I blame the media to try to give themselves some job security by hyping the Manning story for as long as they can – especially if somebody is willing to pay them to speculate as outsiders on a topic from a thousand miles away.

It’s kinda like the Republican presidential primary. The last thing the media wants is a run-away race. There’s no drama if that happens. No drama = less viewers = less ratings = less ad revenue = less job security = need to work harder to find one’s own stories with drama. No wonder the media is always trying to prop up anyone but the frontrunner in the primary.

But as long as people continue to get caught up in the hype, the hype will continue. Just like football will continue as along as people continue watching football games. As football and sports are entertainment, so are TV and internet news these days – it’s all about money and ad revenue. God Bless America. Ughh.

56. By Peter in Canada on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

If Indy makes PM a free agent you have to believe he is damaged goods.

If they do not make him a FA they will be asking the moon if they decide to trade him.

Much as I’d like to see him a Card I don’t think it will happen.

57. By BIG RED on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

Hey John the Draft Guy, If you were Cardinal Fan for over 50 years and never won a Championship I don’t think you would settle for play-offs, think about it. Who cares about 12 years in the play-offs,do they even remember you if you played in SB and lost, no right. About giving us a chance who knows if he will. If he couldn’t do it often before his injury, what makes you think he’s going to do it now. I say it’s a waste of money invested on #18. Just croom #19 and hope for the best. Tired of never having a long term QB and I think #19 has a pretty good chance to do so. Manning with all those records what good did it do the fans at Indy, nothing. Just Win, baby!!!!! that’s all that matters.

58. By Marcelof on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

@Mike Ellingboe

Sorry dude I’m a damn rookie at this…. just pointing my vision

59. By TUCSTEVE on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

@ MIKE

If you can you also give me fitzgeralds stats and the defense. i would like to see how the defense did with kolb compared to the defense with skelton.

60. By clssylssy on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

Darren: I could have sworn I read in one of your recent replies that you doubted that PM would ever play again…didn’t you say that? I hope you are not now trying the talking out of both sides of your mouth routine, I respect you more than that. Obviously, our fans have NO idea what neck surgery is about nor the serious nature of multiple concussions. What about the revolutionary idea of getting some talented HEALTHY players to fill the voids??? We may have to pay more but it’s kinda like buying a used car, you never know what you are inheriting even if the Mercedes “looks” good…just saying, buying the big Manning name doesn’t guarantee he is going to perform close to the way he has in years past and if the Colts are ready to “trade him in”, they obviously know there are some serious risks keeping him. I wish him well enough to hope he doesn’t end up a parapalegic trying to live up to pressures from the media and public.

61. By Darren Urban on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

clssyl –

RE: Manning health

I did say I didn’t think he’d play again and that’s what I think. But that doesn’t mean that a) I won’t be wrong, or b) the speculation is happening in spite of what I think.

I’m not sure what part of what I wrote above contradicts what I think. I said there is speculation. I noted the potential cap hits for Indy. I said I think PM wants to play. None of that means he will.

I am sure of one thing: He wouldn’t play if there was a chance of him being a paraplegic. If doctors clear him, he’s going to try and play.

62. By Bill on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

IF, key word IF, Peyton Manning is healthy you go and SIGN HIM !!!!!!!!

63. By Brian on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

Ugh, here goes Big Red with his Skelton is the savior of this franchise talk again. He’s been a Cardinal fan for 50 years so he knows what’s best but the organization is too blind to realize their star GM is right here in this blog. Then here comes the argument that all Skelton does is win. He won against lesser opponents with a defense that kicked in and dominated the rest of the season. Kolb put up better point totals, got hit a heck of a lot more and didn’t have the defense to support him. The verdict is still out on who is the better option BUT I do agree with him and everyone else that says Peyton Manning is not the answer. The answer is going to be having Kolb and Skelton going through an offseason together, getting to work w/ coach McNulty and have them compete in camp.

Here’s a news flash for everyone, Peyton Manning is not going to play another down. He doesn’t have full range of motion in his neck(kind of a problem for a QB) and his arm strength is way down. Sure, during his interviews he says the doctors tell him he’s “on point” in his rehab but what do you expect him to say when he has $28 million on the line. He’s gonna continue to say the right things and make the Colts make the decision. Also, nothing is going to happen until March, the Colts aren’t going to cut the biggest icon surrounding their Super Bowl and he’s not going to retire and put the spotlight on him while Eli is playing this Sunday. Fusions are not something that are a 100% guarantee procedure so ultimately it won’t be worth the long term risk for him. If he does play, don’t you think that will be in the back of his mind every drop back to pass? Waiting for that blind side hit that could be his last? Not sure I want a QB who will have that mental burden.

My guess, the Colts cut Manning, he’s not cleared to play so he’s forced to retire and the Cards go into camp with Kolb and Skelton with a few extra pieces picked up during free agency and the draft.

64. By Scott H on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

Well…guess we need SOMEthing to talk about. But it’s all just crazt speculation until / unless -

1) Peyton Manning is even healthy enough to play football again
    2) Peyton Manning is released by the Colts
    3) Peyton Manning wants to come to Arizona over the many other teams that are sure to be interested
    4) The Cardinals are willing to bite the bullet on Kolb, because there ain’t no way they pay him him the bonus AND pay Manning to come here

Yeah….um, somebody call me when we clear all these hurdles.

65. By johnnybluenose on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

i agree with joecb91 and others who think we should stick with the qbs we have now rather than take a shot in the dark on manning. manning should retire and prepare to run for President in 2016. seriously !!

66. By clssylssy on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

You can’t become an elite level player without the kind of love for the game that would make it hard to walk away. If your name is Mannning, the pressure would be even greater to try to play past time to quit. We’ve seen this before with Brett Favre, Emmitt Smith, etc. and and I totally get where they are coming from.
    Excellent comment Brian, you sound like someone with a brain in their head who has been paying attention! Obviously, if anybody had been following along, Darren doesn’t believe PM will play again either, and all this hyped feeding frenzy is groundless speculation designed to get PM a payday. Can we move on?

67. By Brian on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

Well he was cleared to play, I still stick by my prediction that he will not play again….

68. By BIG RED on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

What’s up Brian, So I guess I am the Skelton savior, well I guess that makes you the Kolb savior, right. At least I get in your mind once in awhile. As for lesser opponents the last time I saw all those teams where playing in the NFL. Football is Football. I do agree that Skelton and Kolb should compete for the starting job, instead of bringing in PM. Again waste of money. We already are spending money on someone that doesn’t deserves it. To be continued…..?

69. By Darren Urban on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

Carlo7000 -

RE: combine

Yes I will be there.

70. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

@tucsteve,

Ah, so that was your point in referring to Skelton’s first 49′er game. No question Kolb’s record would have been the same as Skelton’s if the defense had played the first eight the way they did the last eight. Either way, our offense needs to be better next season, and with a full off-season for Kolb and now that Skelton is approaching a full seasons worth of game experience I think it will.

Don’t particularly who steps up as the #1 guy, just so long as one of them does.

71. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 2, 2012 | Reply

@marcelof,

My apologies, I sometimes fail to remember that there are many here that are significantly younger than myself.

Anyways, the point being the same. The more you have a chance to follow this, the more you’ll see how fickle most the world is when it comes to starting QB’s. If you saw San Fran vs Philadelphia on Monday night the season before this last one you’ll know exactly what I mean. If not, Alex Smith just got destroyed by the home crowd, a year later and he’s receiving comparisons to their previous HOF QB’s. Of course, now that they’re out his critics seem to be surfacing again. It’s the nature of the beast, and as much as I’d like to say Arizona fans won’t do the same thing, it’s a given they will.

72. By Brian on Feb 3, 2012 | Reply

Big Red, clearly you have read my posts carefully. I’ve never said Kolb is the savior, all I’ve said is that it’s not fair to say Kolb is a bust when he’s barely had a chance. He got thrown into a new offense and struggled. And in regards to your “football is football” comment, I’m pretty sure the Steelers, Ravens and Giants who Kolb started against all had pretty good seasons. I don’t think you can say that the Colts w/ the #1 pick this year are on the same level as the Patriots or Giants who are playing in the Super Bowl. All I’m saying is the teams at the back end of the Cardinals schedule were weaker than at the beginning but our offense didn’t put up any more points than they did at the beginning w/ Kolb. The defense started playing well and we ended up winning games where we only scored 19-20 points. So by comparison it looks to me that Skelton got a slight benefit from playing against the opponents he did. Again, I’ve never said Kolb is better than Skelton or vice versa. All I’ve ever said was that I think he deserves a fair shot before you start saying he’s a waste of money.

As far as getting in my mind, don’t take too much pride in that. Everyone on here who shares your same sentiment that Skelton is the man and Kolb is a bust gets my attention. I just want what’s best for the Cardinals and I don’t think kicking Kolb to the curb without giving him a fair shot isn’t benefiting us at all and I will argue that point until Kolb gets an offseason and full camp. If he fails, then I’m all for moving on. If we end up with two starting caliber QBs on our team then I don’t think anyone can really complain about it. Being a fan for 50 years, I hope you can respect that.

73. By Warbird fan for life on Feb 3, 2012 | Reply

Thank you Kevin!

I have no idea what these fans see in Skelton being better than Kolb. For one this WAS Skeltons second year in our offense, Kolb had 4 weeks before starting week 1 and he played well! He took 4th quarter leads into conference championship teams Baltimore and the Giants! Our D gave up game winning drives to both of them! As well as in the Redskins game… Skeltons win/loss record was indicative of the defense, definitely not QB play. Please give Kolb an offseason in our system and he will be a great QB for us.

74. By stewart badly on Feb 3, 2012 | Reply

@ Warbird fan for life

What I see in Skelton, is a guy that has 50% chance to be the Cardinals starting QB in his second season in the NFL. While Kolb couldn’t take the starting job away from freaking McNab (a horrible QB) in four years in PHILLY.

Kolb is a career backup, that is not good in crisis, when the Passrush of the opposite team get to him, he panics.
    Skelton is good in crisis, when the game is on the line he delivers, he keeps his composure even when the passrush gets to him.

75. By Victor Leal on Feb 3, 2012 | Reply

If I was running the show, (as I do on Madden games) my intention to acquire Peyton Manning would be to provide John Skelton with a mentor. When Cards had Warner, I did not see a pupil. I would commit to Skelton! I would have committed to Hall, Anderson, Kolb as well; point being, Cards need to commit to developing a QB, as did the 49ers, and Skelton would be my choice. These past two seasons the error has been in making the QB position similar to baseball’s pitching; starter, reliever, closer. Hey that might be a good idea, Kolb start and Skelton close. The Cards acquired a bronzed copper mine in Anderson, a silver one in Kolb, and word is there might be a gold rush in Indy. This year I heard about the Packers back-up QB producing numbers (in one game) that we did not see all season here. Look at the 200something Patriots that went 11-5 with their backup. Go QB coaching.

76. By Scott H on Feb 4, 2012 | Reply

Warbird fan for life -

Maybe what you are missing is the concerns many people have at this point for Kolb’s ability to stay healthy. You cannot deny that he has been quite injury prone during the past two seasons. All of the time in the world to prepare in our system might not change that. Regardless of good Kolb might be, we can’t benefit from that if he can’t get on / stay on the field. Can we?

And as I’ve said elsewhere, I think the point that Skelton was playing in our system for his second year is also pretty flimsy. He may have been here but HOW MUCH DID HE ACTUALLY PLAY??? Very little. Three or four games, as I recall. Certainly not enough to give him any clear advantage over Kolb. With all due respect to yourself and anyone else who may be subscribing to that way of thinking, it really does sound like an excuse. And a poor one, at that.

77. By anthony bonkowske on Feb 6, 2012 | Reply

in all honesty i dont believe the cards will or should go after manning! hes been around a while now and doesnt have much left….the cards arent going to pay what he will want for such a short time. they endorsed in kolb as the furture for this team. everyone kbnows what he is capeable of. give him the full offseason and things could be different. and without the offensive line that the colts have..what would manning be…he is the farthest thing from mobile. we are good with the qbs we have

78. By Morten Vind on Feb 9, 2012 | Reply

it would be the best if Mannning came to Cards!

79. By cardinals fans on Feb 9, 2012 | Reply

Payton is unhealthy and old, Cardinals should not sign him.