Some Cards thoughts from Michael Bidwill

Posted by Darren Urban on February 3, 2012 – 5:15 pm

Cardinals president Michael Bidwill, in Indianapolis for the Super Bowl, sat down for an interview with Bickley and MJ on XTRA 910 today. A few of the highlights, including thoughts on the coaching staff rumors and moves the past few weeks and a possible practice bubble in Tempe:

– On the decision to not let wide receivers coach John McNulty interview for Tampa’s offensive coordinator job because McNulty is already under contract, and whether there is a fear McNulty would be upset: “What we have to do is make the best decisions for the Cardinals, so we can win and continue to develop our team,” Bidwill said. “Sometimes you have to make tough decisions that aren’t exactly what the employee or the coach or the player or whomever might want. That’s part of this business and that’s part of the high compensation these folks get. They trade certain rights.

“Generally speaking, you don’t want to disappoint someone you like and work with, but at the same time, I’d much rather have John McNulty be part of our team because he is a darn good coach. I think Ken (Whisenhunt) feels that way, I think (general manager) Rod Graves feels that way and we need to make those decisions even those are hard decisions.”

– On the Todd Haley opportunity and the choice not to bring Haley back: “I think (offensive coordinator) Mike Miller has done a good job. I think to come in and uproot all that, that would send a wrong message to your staff. I feel like it’s really Ken’s bailiwick. If Ken was comfortable bringing Todd back, I would support him. If Ken is not comfortable bringing Todd back, I support that too. We are all in this making the best decisions we can to win football games, to win the NFC West. We know that road goes through San Francisco. We will make all the best decisions possible.”

– On McNulty’s ability to be able to improve QB play as quarterbacks coach (Bidwill did not say McNulty was going to be QB coach, but certainly talked like he will be, leaving the open coaching staff spot for a new receivers coach): “I sat in an interview with (McNulty) and he is a technician, strong, he’s a leader, a good communicator. I felt after a half-hour, I could start playing quarterback.

“He’s a great football coach and that’s what we need. If we want great quarterback play, we need guys who will be technical, who will be disciplined, and taking care of fundamentals.”

– An attempt to ask about the Cards and Peyton Manning went, understandably, nowhere. Manning is under contract with the Colts, so anything said about him at all by a team could be considered tampering. “You want to pay the fine?” Bidwill asked.

– On quarterback Kevin Kolb: “I still think Kevin, with an offseason, he is going to be a darn good quarterback,” Bidwill said, adding the team needs to develop their two young QBs, including John Skelton.

– On plans to build a practice bubble at the Tempe facility to be able to get out of the heat in the early season: “I would say it will take a little bit of time to go through the process, but as soon as we get through that process — there is a public process to it — construction time should be about a year,” he said. “I don’t see it happening in the 2012 season.”

– On looking forward: “We have to make the decisions to put us back in the driver’s seat of winning the NFC West,” Bidwill said. “That’s what we did in 2008. Get a home playoff game, and take it from there.”

Tags: , , , ,

27 Responses to “Some Cards thoughts from Michael Bidwill”

1. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 3, 2012 | Reply

“You want to pay the fine?” Bidwill asked

Classic.

2. By CDJ on Feb 3, 2012 | Reply

Does Mcnulty have any good experience with QBs, i guess im asking if we promote him or move him laterally im not sure which one it is do you think it would be better to do that than bring in a guy?

3. By georgiebird on Feb 3, 2012 | Reply

I think Bidwill handled most questions as good as could be expected. The poor answer was Michael saying that Kolb “is going to be a darn good QB”. I thought he was supposed to be a darn good QB when we got him considering the overall compensation.
    Here’s the reasoning process the Cardinals have to be at with Kolb. In watching the Giants playoff game vs SF, I saw Manning battered by the 49er’s defense- and Manning has an excellent OL. Could Kolb have withstood that type of pressure and pounding? Regardless of the changes in the OL, the Cards will never be able to keep defensive players off of Kolb. Just as we want CC, DD, OB, Acho, and AW to pound the QB, likewise, the opponents have the same mindset.
    And I see where the Cards are projected to take an OT from Stanford to be the left OT. Are you kidding me?? Andrew Luck has such a quick release that none of his OL has ever been tested. All offensive lines in the NFL get beat- the QB has to be able to take a hit. Kolb is one more concussion away from retirement. Time to let him go. Sign Levi to a new lower contract- he would be rated much higher if our QBs got rid of the ball like the top QBs do.

4. By Darren Urban on Feb 3, 2012 | Reply

CDJ –

RE: McNulty QBs

He worked with QBs (and was OC) for 3 of his 5 years at Rutgers.

5. By cdubbbb on Feb 4, 2012 | Reply

It’s not reasonable to expect a qb to come in and play at a high level with no prior knowledge of the offense.
    Even Kurt Warner had trouble the first year or two that he was here and that was WITH offseason practices, a playbook, and OTAs.

On the manning statement……… Did manning take a knee to the back of the head? I don’t think so. Kolb has taken hits and big hits at that, n gotten back up to play.

I used to be like you about Kolb, then I really studied him and what his problems were. He can be a very good QB that’s not a lie. He has above average accuracy, a good ARM, good at reading the defense. He just needs to learn to take it all in, and filter everything. That comes with experience and obviously kolb doesn’t have much. Let’s support him and give him this year to make or break himself.

If he fails this year, he can and probably will be cut.

6. By Eazy E on Feb 4, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

What happened with Hue Jackson being our QBs coach?

7. By Born n Bred on Feb 4, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Michael Bidwell sir.. i sincerely appreciate the hard work and dedication youve put into this Organization.. Alot people like to credit Whiz for the culture change but alot of people miss the boat on YOU.. I believe in you and trust you.. From going to the games as a 9 10 yr old and hearing choice words for your father from the 30 or so ppl around my section.. Youve brought HUGE respect to your fathers name to some valley fans.. Keep making us proud and you just might take over the reins from the Colangelos around here..maybe

8. By kkfan on Feb 4, 2012 | Reply

.@georgiebird
    All I can say is thank God you aren’t the owner of the team. I’m sure Bidwell understands that Kevin not having had an off season with the team, or even the play book ( to study ) just before pre season was to begin, that he was at a huge disadvantage.

If the O line can’t keep the defenses off of Kolb. Then you have a very poor OC or very poor O line men, or both. Because that is what they are being paid to do.

Kolb was the Fedex player of the week twice during the few games he got to play when in Philly. So he does know how to win games. But no QB can win if they don’t get the protection and the time to make their reads.

I expect kevin to come into camp this season well prepared to be the starter, now that he has a semblance of what is required in that system.

I understand the disillusions many feel about him. Because you didn’t get to see him when he was able to play with confidence. But once he feels comfortable, has complete confidence in his knowledge of the offense, he will make you believers when it is all said and done.

9. By Darren Urban on Feb 4, 2012 | Reply

Eazy –

RE: Hue Jackson

I think it is like many of those names we heard. It’s hard to go from being a head coach to a QB coach.

10. By JRSedona on Feb 4, 2012 | Reply

There is no perfect OL’s QB’s get hit and hit hard. So, how well Kolb does isn’t as important question, as, WILL he make it through the season, imo.
    My, question: What is McNulty’s relationship with Skelton like?

11. By KDubADub1324 on Feb 4, 2012 | Reply

@kkfan and cdubbbb

Well said…I’m a Card fan before favoring any players, but in this situation and from an objective standpoint, I think too many are quick to jump on Kolb about this season without considering the different elements. I think he and Skelton can be good in this league, and I wouldn’t mind having either one as the QB in future seasons. But I think Kolb is starter-ready right now and Skelton could use more time to develop. But if AZ is fully committed to Kolb and looking long-term, they need to end this Peyton/AZ talk now and pay the guy.

12. By Mike in Mesa on Feb 4, 2012 | Reply

Except for wins/losses which Skelton won by a mile, these 2 qbs were close in stats. But how do all of you forget to factor in contracts? Skelton made 450,000 and Kolb made millions. For a losing record. So why would you want to keep a guy making millions to do the same job that a guy who only costs you 450,000 can do? If Peyton were to come here, would you want to keep Kolb? He’d be an awful expensive 3rd string qb.

13. By georgiebird on Feb 4, 2012 | Reply

@kkfan-
    You must be a real astute Cardinals’ fan. You start off by spelling the owner’s name wrong and then you proceed to go downhill from there.
    Once again, the Giants OL couldn’t keep the SF defense from pounding Eli Manning AND the Giants are going to the Super Bowl. But you want the Cardinals OL to keep their QBs nice and clean-it’s not going to happen. If a QB can’t take the hits, he’s worthless in the NFL.
    Even if Kolb was a “darn good” QB (which he’s not), his history with concussions makes the decision to cut him an easy one.
    So, kkfan, you may not know much about the Cardinals, but you’ve got to spell the owner’s name correctly -then what you say might, at least, fool the kool-aid drinkers.

14. By NJAzCardsFan on Feb 4, 2012 | Reply

No Haley….. UGH!!!! That is a mistake.

We should have Michael suit up and play QB. Then we would really see how good of a coach McNulty can be.

15. By John the Draft Guy on Feb 4, 2012 | Reply

cdubbb and anyone else under this false believe;

Warner did not struggle in his first year with Whiz.
    He started 11 games (due to the believe Leinart was the guy), He threw for 3400 yds and 27tds. in 2007 (Whiz’s first year)

Also, I don’t know if you remember, but Warner threw more TD passes (21) than Brady (20) over the last 8 games. Why was that important? Brady set the record that year with 50 TDs.

So, if you want to defend Kolb, that argument doesn’t work.

16. By Joram on Feb 4, 2012 | Reply

Let’s go to da super bowl next years boys who’s with me

17. By stewart badly on Feb 4, 2012 | Reply

I can’t wait for trainning camp, and see who wins the starting QB position, is gonna be the story of trainning camp. I can see the pro-Kolb media (Darren Urban, Ken Sommers) trying to make a case for him, While the 75% of cardinals fans see in Skelton the better QB (steps up to throw in the pocket when he feels pressure from the outside rushers, better at breaking takles, good in crisis doesn’t panic, when the game is on the line he is at his best). To be fair with Kolb, he his better at reading defenses, better accuracy. even though I’m a Skelton fan, I will be 100% behind Kolb if he is the starter.
    GO CARDINALS

18. By D-Dubya on Feb 5, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

If that cards restructured with L.Brown, do you think they would consider moving him inside to the right guard position? As an OT he has been Garbage. As far as OT’s is concerned….. I understand we will be looking at the market really hard but so far the list for quality LT’s is extremely small. Do you think we could get a situation like what happened to Bryant Mckinnie? A top tier experienced LT getting cut for cap space. As far as drafting an OT with the 13th pick… Unless it is either Kalil (not likely) or Reiff (slim chance), we should pick up an LB…. Burfict would be a good choice because he would be a beast in our system at ILB with Washington. Doubtful with that pair inside many teams would do much on the ground. I know we have no Rnd 2 pick but perhaps we could move higher in 3rd or even to late second and go after Cordy Glenn (Georgia). I think he would make a great OT… Watched him in Senior Bowl Practices and in game and he was the only LT I saw that could hold off Coples, Ingram and Upshaw consistantly.

19. By clssylssy on Feb 5, 2012 | Reply

Geez…was that the sound of Bidwell throwing Whisenhunt under the bus on the Haley decision? LOL…can’t say I’m surprised, and I totally agree that Mr. B. should take off his pink shirt, put on some pads, and get out there to play crash dummy for Mike Miller. Will be REAL Iinteresting to see if our OC can get us to the Superbowl next year,,,Haley did that so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect the same level from Mike Miller. PRESSURE’S ON!

20. By Hammy on Feb 5, 2012 | Reply

joram, there is just too many things that need to be fixed until we can ever dream of getting back to the big Bowl. I think we need to continue good play on defense and establish who the heck our franchise Quarterback will be. Until then I dont want to hear SUPERBOWL and CARDINALS in the same breath!

21. By Darren Urban on Feb 5, 2012 | Reply

D-Dubya —

RE: Brown at guard

No, I don’t see Levi playing guard if he returns. It doesn’t make sense to me to bring him back and then make him guard. If you don’t want him, then just don’t bring him back.

22. By Darren Urban on Feb 5, 2012 | Reply

clssy —

RE: Haley choice

Explain to me how it’s bad exactly to have the head coach choosing his staff?

23. By Brian on Feb 6, 2012 | Reply

In light of Manning’s comments about his contract flexibility, how would that impact the Card’s cap situation if say we kept Skelton and Kolb but also brough Manning on with an incentive based contact, where he meets those incentives by the end of 2012? I don’t see the Cardinals cutting Kolb and giving Manning a contract based on “IF” he plays because if that doesn’t work out then all we have left is Skelton and no viable backup. I was all for just going to camp w/ Skelton and Kolb but if you have the chance to get Manning at a no risk contract, I think you have to pull the trigger.

24. By Darren Urban on Feb 6, 2012 | Reply

Brian —

RE: Manning incentives

Obviously, it changes a lot. It gives pretty much every team apparent flexibility to make this work. That said, I think you can always make it work one way or the other if you want to make it work.

25. By Eazy E on Feb 6, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

Very true

26. By clssylssy on Feb 7, 2012 | Reply

Darren:
    I think Coach Whisenhunt is a great coach, I have great respect for his abilities and tremendous graditude for everything he has done for the Cardinals. I do also realize that not everybody shares my opinion of Coach and am aware of all the heat he took this past season when we were in a slump. I think next season is going to be extremely competitive in the west and would think that putting together the best, most experienced group of men for a coaching staff, would be a main goal and and would be based on the respective resumes, including experience and accomplishments of candidates available, personal friendships and relationships aside. It’s a fact the Haley clearly has more experience getting to the Superbowl, as well as, a successful season as a Head Coach…nothing against Mike Miller. It in your article, it sounded like that the owner, when asked about the Haley, who has proven himself to most of our fans with his experience, was washing his hands of anything to do with that choice ,which I do not believe,since he is the one signing the checks…just seemed like he was putting the success or failure of our offense next season solely on Coach Whisenhunt. It is what it is,and I hope that it works out for all of us. No, I don’t believe that a coach can “coach by committee”…e.g. choose his staff or play his players according to the masses.
    Just saying…given the displeasure voiced by many fans, this season the PRESSURES ON! GO CARDINALS…WE DO THIS TOGETHER

2. Feb 8, 2012: Word From the Birds BlogMcNulty move meant to be pro-active «