Take part in some Combine talk with the Cards

Posted by Darren Urban on February 14, 2012 – 10:45 am

The annual NFL Scouting Combine takes place in Indianapolis next week, and the Cards are giving fans a chance to interact with some of the Cards’ front office and personnel men long-distance with three special meetings on Thursday, Friday and Saturday,

At Tom’s Tavern downtown (2 N. Central Avenue in Phoenix), the Cards will host sessions that last about 45 minutes each and will feature live video chats with Cards’ people while they are in Indianapolis. Scheduled to appear on chats are general manager Rod Graves, head coach Ken Whisenhunt, president Michael Bidwill, director of player personnel Steve Keim and scouts Malik Boyd, Dru Grigson and Chris Culmer. In Phoenix, assistant director of pro personnel Quentin Harris will be there in person for the Thursday and Friday sessions.

Former Card wide receiver Frank Sanders (Thursday) and safety Kwamie Lassiter (Friday) are scheduled to appear at Tom’s as well.

The weekday sessions begin at 5:30 p.m. and will be hosted by Paul Calvisi. Saturday starts at 10 a.m. and will be hosted by Ron Wolfley. For details, click here.

Tags:

40 Responses to “Take part in some Combine talk with the Cards”

1. By D on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

Great chance for fans to interact with the Cards office. Not sure I can make it but would love to pass my plan along for the draft to the scouts and Mr. Keim to see what their opinion would be.
    1)First pick. Mike Adams OT
    The Cards will need to release L. Brown before the draft and who knows if they can resign him by the draft, and since they don’t have another Left Tackle on the roster, let’s draft the biggest need first. I see Mr. Adams rising up the draft after the combine, and I see him as a better fit at Left Tackle than J. Martin from Stanford. (who may not be there anyway). Maybe they rank L. Keuchly higher over all, who probably will be there, but with P. Lenon still productive and S. Bradley cap hit may make AZ keep both at ILB for next year.
    Round 2-traded away for Kolb
    If the above scenario plays out, then draft:
    Round 3- Lucas Nix Pittsburgh-Right Guard
    Round 4- B. Mosley Right Tackle Auburn. (he can learn either under J. Bridges or L. Brown at Right tackle next year. )
    Round 5-Cordarro Law-OLB Southern Miss

Heavy on O-Line but it worked good for SF a few drafts ago.
    I am assuming AZ will pick up special team needs along with WR need in Free agency
    Along with backup depth players again.
    Thanks

2. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

Very cool. If I wasn’t living in Wisconsin, I’d be there.

3. By JJeff on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

Will the interactive Combine fan sessions be either available as audio podcasts or transcribed in print?

4. By John the Draft Guy on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

This is really a great idea, Thanks Cards for putting it together. But if you think they are going to tip their hand, you are crazy.
    If I am Keim or Graves, and someone pops out at me or someone solidifies what I saw on tape, I’m staying quiet.

Question; ; Mr Graves, Joe Adams is an explosive wr from Arkansas, who could fit in the slot and special teams. Some compare him to Antonio Brown, while I see him as explosive as Desean Jackson. If he is around in the 3rd, would you consider picking him?

Answer; Well, we will look at a lot of players, and if we feel that someone can come in and help our team, then we will consider them. But to say who we will take in the 3rd, there are a lot of considerations to take in. We will look at all our options and take the best player for our football team.

I would imagine there will be many answers along that line. If I was them, I might write out a few “stock” answers and repeat them over and over to the questions.

5. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

JJeff —

RE: Transcripts

As of right now, that is not planned.

6. By We Missed Q on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

“D”. I can not disagree more with your plan to draft for “need”. YES by all means the Cards need OL help. However, by drafting for need you muliply the chances of a bust draft pick, 10 times. We need to address to OL in FREE AGENCY, as well as other areas of NEED. The draft is for acquring new, young talent. I can’t think of a single position on this team that is off-limits for a great player beeing added. The best drafting teams, Steelers, Ravens, Patriots(used to be at least), always draft the best player available. The poor teams, always draft for need, which is why the suck.

7. By CrazyLady25 on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

D:

I agree with you on drafting OT Mike Adams. He’s better than Martin.

8. By D on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

reply to We miss Q-
    Have you seen the UFA tackles this March? It’s slimmer than slim. Stop gap’s only delay the problem, yes, coach Grimm usually goes with Vet’s, and he may go that route again this spring, but if you want to build a O line for the next 5 years, then a J. Bridges or M. Starks isn’t the answer…

9. By John the Draft Guy on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

We miss Q

Should the Rams pass on Blackmon and take Kalil ?
    Or maybe the Browns take Kalil, even though they have the best LT, over RG3?
    What if Kirkpatrick falls to the Eagles, should they take him?

There must be a marriage of need and best available.
    Good teams are good because they don’t have many needs, That makes it easy to draft best player. Average and bad teams have glaring needs. You can either fill them in the draft or FA. Being, we are limited in our cap space, we won’t be able to fill many needs in FA.

So, is it better to take a need or the best available at 13? The need would be the best LT? or best player available, a guy like Michael Brockers who could back up Dockett and Campbell? If you are the Steelers of the past, yes, take Brockers cuz it will pay off down the line. But, if you are a team with no LT after Brown is released, you can’t afford that luxury.

With that being said, I wouldn’t reach (say LT Sanders at 13) just to fill a need. Instead, trade down and get extra picks. Get your need at the right value while adding depth with extra picks.

10. By COBRA on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

This is only my opinion for all of the draft geniouses out there. O-line personel are mostly hit and miss. Think 1st round a few years ago..

What is our strong point: Defense: For once we have some continuity with Horton. If we continue to build, that is our success to a superbowl. I say, take the best player available with our 1st pick, then, move up and take Vontaze Burfict. Yes, I know we don’t have a secind round pick. It’s called a trade!!!

The Ravens are projected to take Burfict @ # 29 of the 1st round to replace Ray Lewis. Remember a guy named Terell Suggs? Also went to ASU. Wow, we missid That one also. Wait, a guy named Todd Heap plays tight end for us, guess who drafted him, yes, the Ravens. I really hope the Ravens don’t read this. If they do, they will probably draft Omar Boldin as well.

What happened to having some pride for the players in your home state?

Really, don’t reply Darren. You already have to many dumbasses to deal with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. By COBRA on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

It took awhile, but I may be interested in your feedback, just saying, the Ravens target A.S.U. for some reason, yet, they never miss in the draft. If you check back lin history. The Dallas Cowboys did the same. Check it out, the number of players Tom Landry drafted from ASU. Someone did their homework.

12. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

With Lassiter and Corey Chavous, former AZ safeties now draftniks (and very good, I might add), will fellow teammate Adrian Wilson be one as well?

13. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

Cobra –

RE: ASU

I went to ASU. Certainly I have some Sun Devil pride. But let’s not take this out of context. Suggs was an obvious misstep in 2003 but that was well-chronicled. They probabl would have taken Heap back in 2001 had he lasted a few more picks but he didn’t.

But let’s not mistake ASU as a guarantee. Juan Roque didn’t work out. Andrew Walter. That’s off the top of my head. Never miss? Not quite.

14. By Darren Urban on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Wilson as draftnik

Unless you are talking about drafting plans to expand his shoe store, no.

15. By Andres on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

Darren do you think the Cards might try to get someone like Vontaze Burfict despite the off year and character issues. Also do you think we might go after Derrick Wolfe in the third or fourth round. I know Wolfe plays a position we are set at but I think he could be a steal and also he could come in and give dockett or Cambell a break every couple plays and if Wolfe gained about 20 pounds I could see him giving David Carter and Dan Williams a run for their money. Wolfe could be an absolute monster.

16. By Andres on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

Darren do you think the Cards might try to get Derrick Wolfe I think he is pretty underrated for how his season came out and I think he would fit well into our defense. If he plays DE in the NFL he could play situationally on our defense while if he gains a little bit of weight and plays NT he could maybe out do Dan Williams and David Carter. He’d probably take a third or fourth round pick. Also do you see us maybe targeting Brian Quick?

17. By Chuck 1 on Feb 14, 2012 | Reply

For those fans who want to draft ASU players (or other Southwest or West players), FUHGETABOUTIT.

Who cares about which region of the U.S. they played their college football in, choose the one that fills the Cards’ NEED. I said the NEED!!!

That’s the OFFENSIVE LINE and ILB!!!

Otherwise, expect Kolb to be MIA i.e. injured after game four and Helter Skelton to be running like a rabbit to evade the pressure.

18. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

@Cobra,

“What happened to having some pride for the players in your home state?”

They did draft Jake Plummer and Pat Tillman. As Darren noted, yes, Suggs was a miss but every team could be picked apart like that.

Don’t know that Vontaze is going to last very long at the next level without a drastic change in maturity.

19. By D on Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

I see Keuchly ranked above Burfict on all of the so called draft experts sheets. I wouldn’t touch Burfict because he is a knucklehead. Both shoould be there at 13, but like John the draft Guy states, this team will have to blend Need and best available in this draft, and since one of the most important spots to fill will be LT, I say take a Need in round One. Yes, I would love to trade down and grab a 2nd round pick, but that will be difficult because I don’t think an game changer will still be there at 13 that AZ wouldn’t want or another team would move up to get.
    Side note;, not sure why C. Upshaw bulked up to 270lb, he is too short to play DE and has too short of arms too, that kid needs to lose some weight because he will have to play OLB at the next level.

20. By Lynn on Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

Please forward to Coach Whisenhunt., regarding rule change suggestion. The 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty, currently assesed on the subsequent kickoff, should be assesed immediately. Touchdown denied, ball placed on the 15 yard line, 1st. and goal. That should end the nonsense of the pose, autograph, etc.

21. By Darren Urban on Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

Andres —

RE: Burfict

I don’t see the Cards getting Burfict.

22. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

@Lynn,

Be careful what you wish for. Would you really want a moment like Peterson’s punt return against the Rams called back because some zebra decided that throwing the ball in the air should be interpreted as an excessive celebration? Or his paying tribute to Deion? Arms crossed pose? etc. Let the players decide the games. If you don’t like the celebrations don’t give up TD’s…

23. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

@D and John the Draft guy,

I hear what you’re saying, but Tommy Knight filled a need back in ’97. In hindsight, I’m not sure what need was filled by adding another mediocre player to our roster. If last year should have taught us anything, you’ve got to go best player available and let the roster shake out from there. I remember a lot of debating about where Peterson would play, as we already had two young, promising CB’s as starters. Even though I like Levi, hindsight tells a nasty lesson about the wisdom of taking him over AP. Point being, if the best available is a LT so be it but if a guy like Trent Richardson slides to #13 would you really see the wisdom in bypassing him for a project at LT?

24. By John the Draft Guy on Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

D
    I don’t get the Upshaw thing also. He is an OLB. I even have seen some suggest he can move inside as a LB. But as long as he is still able to turn the corner on a tackle, he is still pretty good.

As for ILB, I don’t know if they draft one. Lenon and Bradley will battle it out. Washington mans the other spot. Can’t see them spending an early pick on a spot that isn’t that weak to start with.

I think the toughest choice at #13 will be if Kirkpatrick falls. Peterson and Kirkpatrick would give the cards a dynamic duo. Long shot, but I wouldn’t be disappointed.

I agree with you about Burfict. ASU aside, not a Whiz type of player IMO.

25. By Lynn on Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

Mike,

My point is that they are calling the excessive celebration, but the penalty occurs following the touchdown, and if the kickoff goes into the endzone and is not returned, then in essence there has been no penalty. If the touchdown was dis-allowed and the penalty enforced then, we would have fewer narcissistic celebrations. I’ve seen enough of Terrell, Chad, et al. thank you. The great ones, the Hall of Famers, celebrated by sharing the moment with their teammates, coaches and fans, not by excluding them and drawing attention only to themselves.

26. By John the Draft Guy on Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

Mike
    Not completely disagreeing with your point. Tommy Knight was plegued with injuries which lead to his disappointing career.
    With that being said, I wouldn’t “reach” for a need. As I stated, if Kirkpatrick fell, it would be a very difficult decision.

A first round offensive tackle isn’t a glamour pick. I think there are at least 5 or 6 guys who could start at LT. That’s why I’d trade down if there is a partner. I would have to be blown away to pick someone else, i.e Kirkpatrick, Blackmon, or RG3.

On another interesting note, Mike Mayock has regraded his tackles, moving Adams to #3 and Martin to #5. . hmmm

27. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

@Lynn,

I know what you mean, especially when it’s really only a 10-yard penalty with the kickoff being moved five yards up. However, I know everyone would blow a headgasket if their team had a victory taken from them because of the extreme step of having a TD pulled off the board.

28. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

@Lynn,

The main reason I said to be careful what you wish for, if I’m not mistaken they now have the rule on the books in D1/FBS. I don’t think it was ever enforced but just about everything nowadays is illegal in regards to any type of celebration. Remember the game the University of Washington lost to BYU a few years back when Locker was called for excessive celebrating for throwing the ball straight up after scoring what looked like the winning TD? 15 yards back on the extra point and game remains tied, then BYU ends up winning. Too much officiating there. If it was a legit penalty, ok. But to tell players how they can/can’t celebrate a great play, and essentially decide the outcome of the game on that? What would our stadium have looked like if Peterson’s TD is disallowed? Guessing they might still be reconstructing it.

29. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

@John the Draft guy,

Not disagreeing with yours either, and I know you’re not advocating for a reach. I just get very leery whenever I hear the terms “need” and “draft” used in conjunction with each other.

Like you, I really respect Mayock’s opinions but regrading this far after the season is over is another reason I get skeptical about the draft pundits. I’ve felt for awhile now that Martin is a little overrated, but how do professional football guys miss what they see when the game is live? Always gets me when a reporter asks a coach his thoughts about a certain play, and the pat answer is “I’ll have to look at the film.” You’re at field level, you knew the play call and everyone’s responsibility that went with it, but you can’t give an opinion on it without looking at film? (No offense Whiz, you’re still the man as far as I’m concerned).

At the end of the day, if we get another legit first round talent like last year I don’t really care which position it’s at (but some blue-chip offensive linemen would be nice).

30. By Lynn on Feb 15, 2012 | Reply

@Mike

If touchdowns were taken off the board for excessive celebration, players who would be selfish enough to disregard the rule to continue being egotistical, would seem to me to be looking for a new line of work. Teams don’t need players putting themselves above the common objective of a team. OTA’s and preseason should allow the time to change the culture. I can’t imagine any owner or coach taking a chance on someone who’d jeopardize the teams success. Maybe it’s a generational thing, Mike. I’ve been a Cardinal fan pre Matson, when they were in Chicago, and have never embraced individuality in a team effort.

31. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 16, 2012 | Reply

@Lynn,

I agree with your thoughts about what most of us would define as “excessive” celebration, but the rules that are in place now are ridiculous. I wouldn’t consider what Peterson or Locker did to be anything other than an enthusiastic reaction to game winning plays. Even back in the old days players regularly spiked the ball after scoring.

But to your point, yes, certain players are only doing what they do to show everyone else up/put the spotlight on themselves. However, where we don’t agree is taking points off the board because of it. I’m guessing somebody would have celebrated excessively once against the old Steel Curtain before Lambert or Green would have made them pay (remembering Cliff Harris).

32. By John the draft guy on Feb 16, 2012 | Reply

Lynn and Mike;

I use to think about players celebrating too much and thought it was excessive and selfish. Then I heard Bill Billicheck talking on a NFL network show.
    He was talking about all the work a player puts in to be in the right place at the right time to make a big play.His comment was you need to celebrate after that much work paying off. Being as conservative as he seems, this was shocking. But think about it for a minute, and you will agree with him.

Just my two cents

33. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 16, 2012 | Reply

@John the draft guy,

Appreciate your thoughts on the subject, but I have to say I’m not surprised Belichick would say that, since he’s been known to run the score up whenever the opportunity presents itself. He wins with about as much class as the guys that Lynn dislikes so much. However, while my thoughts on celebrations are mixed (cool with spontaneous excitement that comes with a great play; agree w/Lynn about hating the stop the game and look at me victory laps), I’ll never be in support of a rule that takes points off the board for something that doesn’t affect the play itself.

34. By Michael Carter on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

Cardinals need to take Jonathan Martin LT stanford we need to go ol heavy this draft beings it was a weakness last year we need another wr in free agency to compliment fitzgearald some start acho schofield and washington they are stars in the making if peyton mannings available cut kolb and sign him !!!!

35. By Mr.Ramirez on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

The Cardinals should draft Jonathan Martin. He’s a great blocker. There is really no need to drafta linebacker in the first round. As Daryl Washington,O’Brien Schofield, and Acho/Porter are great

36. By Mr.Ramirez on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Hey, have you heard anything of the Cardinals having any plans to draftOT Jonathan Martin?

37. By Darren Urban on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Ramirez —

RE: Martin

Nope. They haven’t even had all the interviews with players yet, much less draft meeting.

38. By Mr.Ramirez on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Oh yeah didn’t think about. Thanksfor reminding me Darren,

39. By allen on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Do you want levi brown back !!!! @#$%^&* did any one watch him play the last 4 years !!

2. Feb 22, 2012: Word From the Birds BlogTime for Indy and the Combine «