Graves: Campbell not going anywhere

Posted by Darren Urban on February 16, 2012 – 3:56 pm

Not that it’s a surprise because everyone has realized that if a new long-term contract isn’t reached with defensive end Calais Campbell, he would receive a franchise tag to buy time, but general manager Rod Graves said Thursday Campbell will be sticking around. Graves didn’t come out during an interview on Arizona Sports 620 and say Campbell will get the franchise tag, but he did say Campbell would stay put.

“Calais will be with us, rest assured,” Graves said. “We will continue to focus on getting a long term deal in place and it’s a process. But he will be an Arizona Cardinals player this year and we are hoping certainly to extend that to a long-term deal. Conversations are continuing with his agent.”

The only way Graves can be sure Campbell would be a Cardinal this year is to know the tag will be used if a new contract isn’t reached. There is still a long time before the tag deadline. Teams can start using the tag Feb. 20 (Monday) and must apply it no later than March 5, a little more than a week before free agency. There is plenty of time to get a contract hammered out before March 5, and the reality is most deals don’t come down without some kind of deadline approaching.

And of course, if/once the tag is used, discussions will keep going for a new contract.

Tags: ,

41 Responses to “Graves: Campbell not going anywhere”

1. By Eazy E on Feb 16, 2012 | Reply

Sign him

2. By SteveG on Feb 16, 2012 | Reply

He wants to be here, we want him here…add a little patience and it will be fine.

3. By azfancolo on Feb 16, 2012 | Reply

Very nice! Lets get a long term deal done, so we do not have to tag him.

4. By Duane1947 on Feb 16, 2012 | Reply

This is the kind of good news, that just puts a smile on my face….expected that is was, it’s always good to hear a positive statement from management .
    Thanks Darren

5. By Phoenixraven1 on Feb 16, 2012 | Reply

Man we could have a scary good D line for a long time!

6. By DesertRat53 on Feb 16, 2012 | Reply

A D-line that is scary, and an Offence that can score 30 points or more a game. That would be ‘Night Mare on Elm Street’, Scary for a long time.

7. By brad oneill on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

hooray for the good guys. and by good guys i mean the guy getting rich by outplaying everyone’s expectations and the team willing to make him rich because they know there is nothing more awesome than an opposing team never having an automatic field goal and a quarterback never sure if that throwing lane is really open.

campbell was the field good story of the year. he he he.

8. By carlo italy 7000 on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

DARREN
    with possible franchise tag on campbell it will a huge hit on team salary cap..do u see some of the players with big paycheck getting traded(rhodeskolb,wells)or released ( stewart,levi brown).if they want to get offensive line fixxed they need to spend good money in a couple of free agents

9. By D on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

I could be wrong, but not sure why these serious talks didn’t get started in Dec? Again, the agent has to be open to it too, but with other players to be addressed like R. Marshall and Levi Brown, it would have been nice to have this done by now

10. By Darren Urban on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Tag/Cap

Levi is going to have something done with his contract, either re-done or cut. But Campbell’s tag number ($11M-ish) isn’t going to be so much more than what it would be with a new contract that it will hamstring the team.

11. By Darren Urban on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

D —

RE: Campbell talks

We don’t know specifics. For all we know, Campbell wants to be the highest-paid DE and the Cards won’t go there and things are stalled. (And that’s a hypothetical, I have no idea where the sides stand).

12. By BIG RED on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

Campbell deserves it, the highest paid DE.

13. By John the draft guy on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

For all of you sick of hearing the Peyton Manning to the cards rumors, they’re not going away.

Rod Graves was asked if the cards were picking up Kolb’s bonus.
    Graves used words like “at this time” When saying we would.

Hmmm. What could change between now and the time Kolb’s bonus is due that would change anything? At this time implies something could change.
    Well the draft is after the bonus date and there isn’t anyone in FA they are targeting. So what could “at this time” refer to? Oh wait, Manning’s possible release.

Way to throw another log on the fire Mr Graves.

14. By Eric Fontana on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

Just because he gets the tag, does NOT mean he will be here. He could be signed and a team could give up 2 first rounders. Say, New England for whom the Tom Brady window is getting smaller. And they might do it. It would cost them the 31 pick this year (they have 2), and no doubt another very low pick next year. Plus, if we use the tag, he will go listen to teams, and hear some VERY high numbers – which will only raise his price. The FO would be VERY wise to not get to the point of having to use the tag.

15. By Eric Fontana on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

John – You are right on. I heard that part of his interview on Sirius.

16. By Darren Urban on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

Eric —

RE: Losing via tag

He already is hearing those numbers, I am sure, which is probably one of the reasons a deal has been slow to develop.

And no one is giving up two first-rounders for Calais Campbell. Period.

17. By D on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

Ranking offseason needs/holes to fill. (assuming we resign our own players)

1-Left Tackle
    2-Pass rusher
    3-2nd WR
    4- Right Tackle
    5- Right Guard
    Agree or diagree?

18. By D on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

I hope Larry brings some type of security when traveling abroad, he is becoming more recognizable thes days..

19. By John the draft guy on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

D
    Russ Grimm thinks
    1) LT 2) RT 3) RG

Kolb/Skelton thinks
    1) WR
    2) LT

Horton thinks
    1) sign Campbell
    2) OLB
    3) CB

Fitz thinks
    1) Manning :)

20. By D on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think you need a CB unless you don’t bring back Adams and Marshall. You have Peterson, Toler and Jefferson under contract. If they improve the pass rush, then those 3 can handle it. Maybe bring in a depth guy.
    I would bring back Marshall for FS spot and emergency corner if they get an injury

21. By Scott H on Feb 17, 2012 | Reply

I’m glad to hear Graves say Campbell isn’t going anywhere. But at the same time…is that statement all that noteworthy when ya think about it? Not really. Because with the franchise tag, you can keep a player here because all you did was prevent him from leaving. That doesn’t really mean the “problem” is solved.

I agree with several others in saying it would just be nice to see this deal get done so it doesn’t get to the point of needing the franchise tag.

22. By John the draft guy on Feb 18, 2012 | Reply

Darren and Card nation;
    I want to sign Campbell. Lets get that out there first. But let’s play make believe for a minute.

Play GM for a minute; which one would you do?

Sign Peyton to an incentive driven contract. You could let Campbell go, play David Carter in that spot. Release Brown, Kolb and Bradley. (Brown is 17 million, Bradley and Kolb save 2.5 million each)
    The Cards would have around 25-30 million to spend. Resign Brown at a lower dollar amount. Sign Carl Nicks to play guard and sign Pierre Garcon at WR, along with bringing Marshall back at CB and let Toler walk.
    OR
    sign Campbell, release Brown and have around 12 million for FAs, resign RFAs like Toler, keep Bradley and Kolb and hit FA with about 8-9 million.

Which cards team would be better? Just asking

23. By cards62 on Feb 18, 2012 | Reply

Campbell deal should have been done last summer, but it takes two parties to sign a deal, and I do not know if Cambell’s side was holding out or our management is too slow. I will be worried about Cambell until a long term deal is signed. I do not want him to leave us like Karlos Dansby did. I do think our team wanted Dansby here long term, but Dansby did not want to be here.
    I do not know what Campbell wants, but hopefully he wants to remain a Cardinal for a long time.

I liked Graves response concerning Kolb. I think we all want Kolb to work out and be a star for us, but Kolb has a lot to prove. Manning only has to prove he is healthy.

Go Cards and Rod Graves you are on the clock

24. By Cactus jeff on Feb 18, 2012 | Reply

I hear the front office talk about how excited we should be going 6-2 at the end of season. Sorry Cardinal fans, that is code for “we will not spend money on free agents”. Front office can u be more obvious, yes you can, remember how you telegraphed the DRC trade when after drafting Patrick Peterson, front office said now we have 3shut down corners. Sorry Fitzgerald no additional help will come. Good luck with Andre Roberts

25. By Rob Milne on Feb 19, 2012 | Reply

26. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 19, 2012 | Reply

@John the Draft Guy,

Interesting scenarios you put forth, but I’ve got to go with option #2. Too much risk for my liking in option #1. Manning hasn’t had four neck surgeries in a year and a half for nothing, and taking CC off our defense is too big of a step backwards. I know you and I disagree on this, but give me DeCastro at #13 rather than a high priced Nicks. Hit FA with about 8-9 million and plug the leaks from there. I’ve never been a big fan of going crazy in FA, the Redskins and more recently, the Eagles, being classic examples of why.

27. By cardsalltheway on Feb 19, 2012 | Reply

Ken W. sure does have a way with words…
    “Cardinals’ Whisenhunt reiterates QBs Kolb, Skelton will compete”

“…they’ve shown at times that they are knuckleheads and it’s our job to get the players that are there on our team to play better.”

Got it, Kolb and Skelton are “Knuckleheads.” When Kolb is released Ken W. can say it was Graves decision. I wonder why Skelton didn’t have a chance at starting last year and why Kolb did when he “didn’t know all the plays” while Johnny S. did? Inconsistent prophecy nauseam.

28. By Peter in Canada on Feb 19, 2012 | Reply

Cardsalltheway –

Not a very flattering comment I must admit. I also think the article is giving Kolb credit for the win against SF when he was injured in the first series and it should have gone to Skelton. However, I don’t think that there was a conspiracy about Kolb starting the season. Skelton was injured in the second pre-season game and was third string behind Bartel for the first four or five games. I think there will be a competition between Kolb and Skelton if they pay Kolb the bonus, just like the one between KW and ML in 2008.

29. By Ken on Feb 19, 2012 | Reply

That’s Great for Calais, But let’s get rid of that bum Kolb. He sucks, and let Skelton get the whole season next year.Whiz needs to quit waisting time with the philly QB that thinks everyone owes him something. Whiz save 7 Mil, and lets roll with the polar bear 2.

30. By D on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Sando has another great story about Larry. Couldn’t think of a better player to be the face of the franchise.

31. By cardsalltheway on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Peter in Canada,
    I sense a tone of hostility in Ken W.’s voice, perhaps things aren’t going his way[he wants Payton Manning(cause he ain't capable of developing QB's himself) and ain't gonna get him]? Why else would he call our QB’s names? All I can say is it takes one to know one!!! If our QB’s are “Knuckleheads”(widely thought to be the most intelligent position on an NFL team), I gotta wonder what he thinks of our other players, including Calais Campbell?

32. By Scott H on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

I’m sure there will be a blog for this issue any time now, but I am very glad to hear Whiz’ announcement that Kolb and Skelton will compete for the job next season. I will take from that that they will have equal opprtunity and will hope that the best man truly does win the job.. Gotta wonder how this will go if Skelton clearly outplays Kolb BUT they are paying Kolb a fortune to be here INCLUDING the bonus he is due in March.

But this is clearly the right decision for the coach to make, in my opinion. Granted, things probably seemed much more evident a few years back when he decided to open the competition between Warner and Leinart, but…hey, things worked out for the best interests of the team then and creating the opportunity for that NOW is defintely the way to go NOW.

Man, can’t even remember the last time I used the “L” word…

33. By cards62 on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

John the draft guy and Mike E.

I think we have to bring Campbell back and hope he is signed to a long term deal.
    Looking for the defense to have a better season in 2012 against better competition than 2011.

I hope we can restructure some deals. Bradley, Toler, and Marshall is worth the money to me to bring back next year.

Manning if healthy I would love for us to sign. You know the Colts wanted to give him a 5 year deal last year over $ 100 million and it was Manning who said wait I just had some surgeries so lets see how things work out. I do not know how much would have been guaranteed but I would say at least 40 million.

Decastro verses Nicks. I have read several articles about Decastro from the draft gurus and many say that he is a once a decade talent at guard. Best guard coming into the league since Steve Hutchinson. One Guru call him the second best offensive player in the draft. Carl Nicks is a proven all pro guard that the Saints would love to resign, but they have cap issues. Mike E. since we have a lot of needs I would prefer to sign Nicks (not old) and draft an OT, LB, WR with selection number 13.

This would be my plan if I was GM. OL and running game will make our QB look better and a stud pass rusher will make our secondary look much better.

Peter I agree wtih you and coach Whiz and I assure you I called both Kolb and Skelton much worse than Knucklehead during the games in 2011 ha ha.
    We fans are very divided on QB so you know our locker room is also divided so we must have an open competition at QB and let this play out so the players buy in and say yes Kolb is the best guy for 2012 or yes Skelton is the best guy for 2012 or yes Manning sure looks good in Cardinal Red and he is the best guy for the job.
    Coach Whiz is 100% right on this decision.

Go Cards and Rod Graves have dinner with Peyton this week while you are in Indy.

34. By ben on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

found on nfl network: Kolb is a Bust plane and very clear. He obviously has injury issues, the guy hasnt been able to make more than 3 or four games straight in his career. Last year as an eagle he didnt even make it through one game. C’mon this guy isnt worth a dollar let alone 7 million, How bout I play for the Cardinals Id be just as good as Kolb, because I wouldnt ever show up either.

35. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

@cardsalltheway,

By chance, are you a commentator for Fox News? Just curious, because your translations of what you read/hear reminds me a lot of them.

36. By drummer-1 on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

open compation, i think this is a no win for Kolb, even if he beat out JS hands down, the question will still arise if it was about the money the team is paying him..

37. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

@Cards62,

Logical post, I found your reasoning to be sound, but I wouldn’t draw the connection between fans and players. While we’re mixed on who the QB should be, I haven’t heard anything to indicate the players are.

@Ben,

Injury prone and bust, to me, are separate issues (although the end result is usually the same). No offense, but I really doubt we would have beat Dallas with you at QB.

38. By Mesa on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

2Mike Ellingboe: Hey Mike, everyone of us is watching TV a lot. :)

39. By cards62 on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Mike E.

Thank you for the reply.

Remember players are human to, and there is no way Kolb or Skelton has won over the 53 man roster. I think and hope the preseason will answer a lot of questions for our players on the QB position so we enter the year with confidence in our signal caller.

Go Cards and Rod Graves you are on the clock.

2. Feb 17, 2012: SH Morning Headlines: Could Peyton Manning remain a Colt? - Stripe Hype
  3. Feb 17, 2012: Cardinals GM Grave: Calais Campbell isn’t going anywhere – Pro Football Zone