No surprise Fitz there for a friend

Posted by Darren Urban on February 20, 2012 – 11:05 am

There’s been a flurry of “This is what’s going on with Fitz” the last few days as it pertains to, for lack of a better description, how Fitz “gets it” as an NFL superstar. First came Ashley Fox’s column the other day on who Fitz is compared to some of the other wideouts out there (It’s not the first time this subject has been explored, and won’t be the last). Then came a note in Sean Jensen’s article about the funeral for the wife of former Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris. Harris’ wife tragically died recently, and Fitz, who was part of the 2004 draft class along with Harris, took a break away from his vacation in South America to attend the funeral. No, Fitz isn’t a superhero, but Mike Sando is right, these are meaningful moments.

Fitz does those kinds of things. The news took me back to last year. My father passed away in the spring. A few days later, despite not being around — the players were gone, if you remember — a text from Fitz popped up on my phone out of the blue one day asking if I was OK and expressing his condolences. A few weeks later, he followed up with another text, just making sure I was doing well. It meant a lot.

Tags:

22 Responses to “No surprise Fitz there for a friend”

1. By cards>niners on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

His character never ceases to amaze me, such a selfless man.

2. By SteveG on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

As you say, no surprise at all (and belated condolences on your dad’s passing).

3. By Amy on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Fitz is a class act. His public persona is what I think is lacking not only in athletes but in all celebs. I would hope that his private persona is such as well. Any way you look at it though its a great way to show someone, that is a friend famous or not, that he is standing by them good times and bad. Great example.

4. By WildCard on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Wow

5. By Dre 1368 on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Fitz is a great man . I want to thank the cards org for donating the weights to rio Rico high school good job on that one also

6. By Glenda on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

So glad to have Fitz on our Cardinal’s team! Not only is he one of the most talented players is the NFL, but he is a class act both on and off the field. Always proud to wear his jersey!

7. By Eric Fontana on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Fitz is simply the greatest Cardinal of all time.

8. By Eazy E on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Fitz by all accounts is that type of person.

9. By azfancolo on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Simply awesome he is the greatest Cardinal of all time

10. By Paul H on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

We are so blessed to have Larry on our team. He could have left last year to play back home in Minnesota or go to a more “glamorous” team but he chose to come back here. I just hope the team management and ownership shows that same commitment in the years ahead.

11. By Scharf on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Fitz is the best individual who has ever played the game, not just by his football resume, but also because of his character. I am so happy that he suits up for big red, and will continue to be apart of the organization for a long time.

12. By Cactus jeff on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Great story Darren, keep it up!

13. By SUN DEVIL MOM on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Fitz is an awesome person. He has strength and charater unmatched by many. He empitomizes integrity and selfness. I’m honored that he is an AZ Cardinal. #11 Rocks!

14. By Chuck 1 on Feb 20, 2012 | Reply

Darren, I recall last year when you wrote (I’m paraphrasing) that you were having a tough time.

Now, we know what it was.

My condolences to you and your family.

15. By greg phibbs on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

My wife would leave me for Fitz. Hmmmmm. Let me think about that.

16. By Scott H on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

He just continues to amaze – on the field and off. Yet another reason why it just blew my mind entirely when some people were saying we should trade him away and get something for our future in return. NOTHING would have been more foolish! Fitz IS still very much a part of the future for this team. He is EVERYTHING you want in a player AND a face-of-the-franchise guy. And when that same guy is one of THE best players in the league for a long stretch, well…it doesn’t get any better than that.

17. By D on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

The more you look at the Off Tackle situation for the Cards, the more you think, they should draft the best Left Tackle they can at 13. I don’t see how they will be able to cut L. Brown then ask for him to comeback at a lower price and maybe play Right Tackle. He is still young enough that other teams may offer him more $ than AZ. If that happens, I don’t see AZ keeping B. Keith either, I would pick up a T. Essex from Pittsburgh to play Right tackle while they groom a 3rd or 4th round tackle draft pick to play in a year or two…

18. By cardsalltheway on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

Nice deflection! There has been as much “flurry” around Ken W.’s comment as anything else but go ahead, shhh! We can sure count on you aye? Is it possible that Ken W. sometimes coaches like a “Knucklehead?” Point thy finger inward Ken W.!!!

19. By in fitz we trust on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

fitz is the BEST player/person in the nfl. yea i said it.

20. By cards62 on Feb 21, 2012 | Reply

I agree with others Fitz is the greatest Cardinal of all time and you could not ask for a better person to be the face of your franchise. I am so glad he signed a long term deal to stay a Cardinal. I hope he plays for a long time, but I will definitely be in Canton when he gives his speach and enters the Hall of Fame.

Thank you Denny Green and Rod Graves you two definitely did us proud with that draft class.

Go Cards and Rod Graves do not bask in the glow for too long as you are still on the clock as you have much work to do.

21. By ag14 on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

to me fitz is just great the best receiver and the best person in the league

22. By scott023 on Feb 22, 2012 | Reply

No dout about it someone took their time and showed friz the blue print to being a real man. He mastered it. He walks the walk. The truth is, he is a very far cut above mankind. People are on this me,me ,me thing now adays. I am very proud to see friz in a cards uniform. When people talk about their team, I just say we have friz on and off the field, A true leader. He wants to win by example. I am so very greatful he has stayed a cardinal, he just makes us better than them.