For Colts, nothing has changed with Peyton

Posted by Darren Urban on February 23, 2012 – 1:46 pm

New Colts general manager Ryan Grigson — brother of Cardinals’ scout Dru Grigson — was of course peppered with questions about the future of quarterback Peyton Manning. Not a surprise. Nor were his responses, which was basically non-responses.

“Right now there’s not much I can tell you different than before,” Grigson said of the Manning situation. We know, of course, a decision must be made by March 8 whether Manning will get a $28 million roster bonus.

Grigson said he has not seen Manning throw and when asked a couple of times directly if he would be seeing Manning throw, Grigson deflected the question. There certainly wasn’t going to be a time frame on when a decision would be made.

“This is not going to be a rash thing,” Grigson said. “Everyone wants to have it nailed down, but there are a lot of variables involved. We want to do it the right way.”

Grigson would say quarterback Andrew Luck is a very good player, but wouldn’t commit to Luck as the No. 1 overall pick, or even that a quarterback would be the No. 1 pick.

Manning’s situation is certainly going to be the one everyone is watching over the next couple of weeks, though. Said Cardinals general manager Rod Graves, “I’m just like every other fan, curious to what will happen.”

Tags: ,

13 Responses to “For Colts, nothing has changed with Peyton”

1. By georgiebird on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

The Cardinals should steer clear of the P. Manning sweepstakes. Except for Warner (& the velcro gloves), these pickups never work out for the Cardinals. Going all the way back to 1972 and the trade of near HOFer Bobby Moore aka Ahmad Rashad to Buffalo for Dennis Shaw to the recent debacle for Kolb, over the hill guys don’t play well coming to the Cards.
    It’s time for the Cardinals to trade our #1 for a later #1 & #2. We should be looking for this year’s AJ Green or Julio Jones.
    Whiz and Graves have to eventually figure out the QB situation. Right now Skelton and Kolb have a chance to be good NFL QBs but only Skelton has the chance to be a very good one (and that is based on his age, size, durability, and phenomenal learning curve since leaving Fordham.

2. By D on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

I will be happy when this Peyton talk dies down. Either retire, stay with Colts as coach or get money whipped by the Dolphins….but we will have to hear more about this for the next 2 months…

3. By Marcelo on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

I simply can`t believe in Kolb and am not up to wait another season to see something from him which hasn`t been shown since he`s in the league….

just hope I am 100% wrong and He or Skelton or even PM lead cards to a bright spot

4. By NJAzCardsFan on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

I am suprised no one has mentioned Brett Favre as a possiblity yet….. -LOL-

I doubt Peyton will be as good as he was, considering he has had four operations to fix that nerve damage in his neck. Which will definitely affect his throwing arm.

5. By COBRA on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

georgiebird,
    maybe they should have thought about Skelton being the #1 QB before trading DRC. For now, we have some depth at cornerback. I like Skelton, don’t get me wrong, yet, to much is invested in Kolb. Myself, I go back and forth wondering which way to go on free agency and the draft. Unless Manning wants to play or be in Arizona, let it go. He is already becoming a distraction.

6. By Big Red on Feb 23, 2012 | Reply

The way I see it is that (Daddy- Archie Manning) won’t allow it. Peyton Manning will never play for a team in the NFC. What Daddy wants is to see his two boys play in the Super Bowl against each other which will never happen. So, you see Cardinal Fans quit your dreaming he will never ware a Cardinal Uniform. Daddy knows best!!!!!!! What do say Darren.

7. By Darren Urban on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Big Red —

RE: Manning father

I’m going to disagree with you on your conspiracy theory.

8. By kkfan on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Big Red: You are forgetting that the Manning brothers already faced each other in 20 09 or 2010 0.( not sure now which year it was). It was the most hyped game of that week. So it is not something that dear old dad would object to seeing his boys play against each other every so many years.

9. By Geob on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

I would rather see the Cardinals pick up Manning at a 9 mill dollar hi incentive contract and take that chance instead of picking up Kolb’s 7 mill bonus plus contract at least we would know he is a starter and at least if he didn’t do great he would teach Skelton a whole lot and than you have a great QB long term. Kolb just isn’t gonna be the guy, and I would hate to see Skelton on another roster!

10. By Geob on Feb 24, 2012 | Reply

Manning has already stated he would be intrested in a low guarantee hi incentive contract

11. By rio on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

WE SHOULD FORGET ABOUT MANNING HE IS NEVER GOING TO LEAVE THE GIANTS, BUT I HEARD HIS BROTHER PAYTON MAY NOT GO BACK TO THE COLTS, NOW WE SHOULD KEEP AN EYE ON HIM. BEFORE THE OTHER TEAMS FIND OUT ABOUT IT.

12. By Eazy E on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

What a beautiful QB-WR combo that would be! Manning 2 Fitz is sick!

13. By BIG RED on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Don’t get me wrong Darren, I love’d the way Archie played in his days. Was one of my favorite QB’s. But thats just saying what I think. As for KKfan, I know they played against each other once before, but not in the Super Bowl and thats what I meant.