Acho Grande, Part II

Posted by Darren Urban on February 25, 2012 – 1:50 pm

Texas linebacker Emmanuel Acho sounded about as confident as a player can here at the Scouting combine. He has an ‘in’ that he believes that will benefit him big-time — his older brother Sam, emerging Cardinals linebacker.

“He’s told me everything,” Emmanuel said. “I got the answers for the test before I have to take it. He’s told me everything I need to know. Yes sir.”

The junior Acho is a shade over 6-foot-1 and 238 pounds, smaller than his brother (6-3, 257). Sam Acho, the Cards’ fourth-round pick in 2011, ended up finishing strong and had seven sacks as a rookie, the second-most by a rookie in Cards’ history to Simeon Rice’s 12.5 in 1996. This year’s version of rookie Acho is more of a inside linebacker, but he said he thinks he can repeat his brother’s fast start to his career.

“I can make the same if not a bigger impact, because of him,” Emmanuel said. “Because of how he has educated me, it won’t be a hard transition for me, not only because of how I carry myself, not only because of my intelligence, but because I have a guy who has done it 365 days ahead of me, every step, whether it’s an interview, a 40-yard dash, or minicamp.”

He has been working out at the facility of trainer Brett Fischer — who also works for the Cardinals — in Arizona. Emmanuel spent some time with Sam for “about a month” before Sam left and Emmanuel concentrated on prepping for the draft, living not in his brother’s place but at a resort near Fischer’s facility. He is expected to be, like his brother, a pick later on in the draft. The thought of joining his brother in Arizona isn’t something Emmanuel has considered much but he admitted it would be “awesome.”

“I played with him in high school, played with him in college,” Emmanuel said. “To play with him on the next level would be a great experience. But at the same time, he’s told me, ‘Don’t worry about where you get drafted, worry that you go to the right team.’ I saw that first hand with him, how that worked out.”

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “Acho Grande, Part II”

1. By jonnyb on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

get the bros on the same team

2. By R Robles on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

Damn that would be nice Acho & Acho

3. By Peter in Canada on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

Darren- What round is he expected to be drafted?

4. By brad oneill on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

i hope he scores well on the test.

5. By Ron on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

Does he have the same motor as his brother?

6. By Darren Urban on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

Peter –

RE: Draft spot

As I wrote, somewhere in the later rounds.

7. By cardsalltheway on Feb 25, 2012 | Reply

‘Leaning on the QB’
    “No longer do teams ride one running back to success, like once upon a time.”

Huh? I’d say the Jaguars have rode Maurice Jones-Drew the last 3 seasons. He has averaged 300+ carries and more than 40 receptions 300/40. Other teams have as well…
    Rams – Stephen Jackson
    260/42(2011) 330/46(2009) 324/51(2008) 253/40(2007) 237/38(2006) 346/90(2005) 254/43(2004).
    Vikings – Adrian Peterson
    208/18(2011) 283/36(2010) 314/43(2009) 363/21(2008) 238/19(2001).
    Titans – Chris Johnson
    262/57(2011) 316/44(2010) 358/50(2009) 251/432008).
    Peyton HIllis
    270/61(2010).
    For fun let’s compare to Beanie Wells…
    245/10(2011) 116/5(2010) 176/12(2009).

8. By cdubbbbbb on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Emmanuel Acho is projected to be a fourth to fifth rounder

9. By Eazy E on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

He’s good. I’ve seen him play on a couple occasions.

10. By We Missed Q on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

“Cardsalltheway”…Really? You name 4 teams out of 32 and you think that disproves the theory? I would tend to agree with almost every expert analyst out there, rather than you…

11. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

@Cardsalltheway,

Just as a statistical reference, back in 1978 when the league went to a 16 game schedule, the Vikings were last in the league in rushing attempts with 505. In 2011, the league leaders were Houston and Denver with 546. The Niners were third at 498.

12. By azfancolo on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

That would be cool to have the Acho brothers, but I am still looking at Hightower from Bama and now even a little bit more to Burfict from Sundevils, but all three would be an absolute plus for the defense

13. By Phoenixraven1 on Feb 26, 2012 | Reply

Maybe a steal for us like Sam!

14. By cardsalltheway on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

‘We Missed Q,’
    I guess you don’t know much about absolute terms? Darren said
    “NO LONGER DO TEAMS,” which means NO TEAM. Thank you for agreeing that 4 teams have, which is more than ZERO.

15. By cardsalltheway on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

‘Mike Ellingboe,’
    I appreciate that but team carries isn’t the point Darren was making. He said “No longer do teams ride one running back to success.” I pointed out 4 individual RB’s teams have ridden. Even Walter Payton blocked for his fullback. I wonder what “once upon a time” means?

16. By D on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

He would be an interesting draft pick, makes me wonder about Quan on the practice squad, when he was coming out, many draft people were saying he could be good ILB, I would like to see him make the roster this summer if he works at it….

17. By Mike Ellingboe on Feb 27, 2012 | Reply

@cardsalltheway,

My interpretation of the point Darren made is a little different from yours. Compared to the 70′s and 80′s teams don’t ride their running backs to success, it’s very much a QB driven league now, which I believe is what he was getting at. Pulling a handful of running backs out of 32+ (the plus representing the teams that use multiple backs) to claim his point is invalid is picking fly crap out of pepper. If we really want to nitpick every general statement that’s made, then we could take his use of the term “success” to further prove his point. Four of the five teams you listed went a combined 14-50, and the one team with a winning record got there more on Hasselbeck’s play than on CJ’s.

18. By Jonathan on Feb 28, 2012 | Reply

@cardsalltheway

Darren’s statement still is right. “No longer do teams ride one running back to success” You named 4 teams that are the only ones riding one RB, but the key word was success… Rams, Vikings, Browns, and Jags all sucked, so you see the point now?

19. By William Barry on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Darren—you are right. NO team rides one player to sucess, this is a team game, with all the parts trying to find a goal, of winning the Super Bowl.

P.S. sorry to hear about your father’s passing.