Hall of Fame game = More Flagstaff time

Posted by Darren Urban on February 29, 2012 – 2:58 pm

The news today that the Cardinals will play in the Hall of Fame game Aug. 5 is significant in itself, since it means a national television appearance and extra preseason game. But it also means a little more time in Flagstaff for training camp.

Teams can go to camp 15 days ahead of their first preseason game, but coach Ken Whisenhunt said that was doubtful. Instead of July 21, Whisenhunt guesstimated the Cards would go up 10 or 11 days earlier (he doesn’t know yet and needs to crunch the numbers) which would probably put camp starting around July 25. In a normal year where the Cards would have had a preseason game Aug. 11 (the first Saturday), they would have gone to camp about July 28 or July 29.

Either way, it’s a little extra time for the Cards to prepare for the season. It’ll also be a fun side trip to break up camp too, and learn a little of the history of the game. And for Fitz to find where he’ll want his bust someday.

Tags: ,

33 Responses to “Hall of Fame game = More Flagstaff time”

1. By Secret on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

In the normal pre-season schedule, teams barely use their starters in week 1 and 4 of the preseason, and use them more in weeks 2 and 3.

So the HOF game being week “0” will the starters be playing full time like a week 3 game?

2. By Darren Urban on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Secret —

RE: Playing time

Um, no. It will be like Game one, only a little less, I’d think.

3. By Dave on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

Would 3 days really make a difference? i would think coach whiz would take advantage of the opportunity to start camp as early as possible. what do you think?

4. By Darren Urban on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Dave —

RE: Camp

Well, if it doesn’t make a difference, then what’s the point of adding them?

5. By Travis on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

It is hard to think of camp already… I am looking out my window at snow on the ground. They should come up now and get some practice in for a possible late season matchup with the Brady bunch

6. By Jesse Robles on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Awesome work this offseason Darren. Cant wait til the season.

7. By Eazy E on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Nice Darren with the Fitz hall of fame line

8. By Dave on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

im just expressing the thought of why only add 3 extra days when you can add a full week.

9. By Darren Urban on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Dave —

RE: Extra time

Training camp is a long grind as it is. A long-ago economics class taught me about the law of diminishing returns. I think that applies here.

10. By cardsalltheway on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Rookie head coaches did better than Ken W. last year which tells me Ken W. is a slow starter. He should use all 15 days, why he’s saying he’s not going to use all 15 days is dumb-founding. Non-ending excuses by Cardinal heads have been made about not enough time last year, now you get it but already announce you’re not going to use it. I’m flabbergasted! I sure hope we don’t hear the same “not enough time” this year.

11. By brad oneill on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

FItz in the hall of fame? i hope he is paying attention to how that worked out for Aeneas Williams. The best way to get through that door is too have a magic ring. He is still lacking that and until he gets it there is no guarantee anyone will care that he makes amazing catches, is a great team mate, and overall a wonderful human being.

ok maybe they will. but damn it i want him to win the big one.

12. By brad oneill on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

ps- preseason games cost us our top cornerback, and our number 2 running back last year. Im not sure i want a fifth one.

13. By Brandon in CO on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Can’t find anywhere else to post this. Please pass along my gratitude to whoever is responsible for the Zoom series. I just watched Ryan Williams’ piece (I am a former Hokie and watched him play in person at Lane time after time), and it was…very, very good. My hat is off to whoever is behind those videos- the first installment was outstanding.

14. By AndyStandsUp on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

How does this affect the Red-White scrimmage, if at all, Darren?

15. By Rob on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

So are there going to be any tickets for Season ticket holders of the Cards?

16. By Donny on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

I have not heard any updates on Calais Cambell. Are he and the team still far apart? Is there literally no word? I understand we are going to franchise him either way and we have no intention of putting the tag on anyone else, but I would still like to see a long term deal.
    Also, I saw a figure on ESPN a while back suggesting that the Cardinals had little room to work with in free agency. Is this number inflated by Levi Brown’s salary that we plan on dumping?
    Donny

17. By Darren Urban on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Andystands –

RE: Red-White

I don’t know yet. Until they figure out the camp schedule, I would guess that’s TBD.

18. By Darren Urban on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Rob –

RE: Hall of Fame tix

They go on sale March 13. You can get them through the Hall, profootballhof.com.

For tickets: http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/ticket_policies.aspx

19. By Darren Urban on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Donny –

RE: CC/FA

I haven’t heard anything new. As for free agency, it will be helped by working with Levi. But there won’t be unlimited funds.

20. By R Robles on Feb 29, 2012 | Reply

Thats awesome some coverage any word on prime time games for next year for us?

21. By RVT1000 on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

Great news. I think that the extra preseason playing time will be very helpful.
    I just wish that the NFL would either make the NFL Network more widely available or just stop putting games on it.

22. By cdubbbb on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

I agree, I just watched it last night and it was amazing. Boy did I fall off into fantasy land of what our season could have been with Ryan Williams. He was about to take the NFL by storm. Sad……. But anyways I sure hope he can eventually become the same player he was before the injury or else it will be a tragic loss for the sport, and he didn’t even play a regular season game.

23. By D on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

I would be okay if the following occurs if they can get a Off Tackle at 17 because they need a 2nd round pick.

“Though some believe that the Cincinnati Bengals will stay where they are (No. 17 and No. 21) with their top two picks — and use one of them on a CB, likely Janoris Jenkins or Dre Kirkpatrick — a new report from National Football Authority raises a different possibility: that the Bengals are going to attempt a trade to move up, with RB Trent Richardson as the target.
    According to the report, there is a specific team to whom the Bengals have been speaking regarding this idea, the Arizona Cardinals (No. 13 overall). In this idea, the teams would swap the No. 13 and 17 picks, with the Bengals sending some additional picks from the second round or later to Arizona.”

24. By SteveG on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

Really enjoyed the Zoom story and look forward to more of them!

25. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

R Robles —

RE: Primetime games

That’ll be released with the schedule in April.

26. By William Lutz on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

The Cardinals are going to Canton! How exciting! Being here in Ohio, I was bummed that I wasn’t going to get them this year since they aren’t really close during the regular season, but I guess I lucked out! Can’t wait until the 13th.

27. By R Robles on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

Thanks

28. By KYLE on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

darren,

a little off subject but i cant find if we have extra draft picks fron the hightower trade as well as the reggie wells trade. do you know if we have those this year or any year?

29. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

Kyle —

RE: Extra picks

Cards should end up with an extra sixth from the Hightower trade. The extra pick from Wells was last year.

30. By Ben on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

This completely sucks.

I was so excited to hear we got the hall of fame game. Then realized that my trip to Flagstaff that I booked 3 months ago is from Aug 3rd to the the 10th. So my first trip to training camp with my entire family (10 of us) will be for not. Well there goes 2 grand out the window.

What horrible horrible news. I am going to go throw up.

31. By clssylssy on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

I think this is totally AWESOME! What a great way to start the season, playing the Saints in Canton with all eyes on our men! I’m feeling some redemption and perhaps respect coming our way…it can happen! With Drew still unsigned and much of the backbone of their team becoming free agents, the Cards are in good position to give the NFL a wake-up call if we can pick up where we left off. Perhaps being in Canton will be just the insentive needed to for Fitz as well as the younger guys to push harder for that “magic ring”! Good job Coach Whisenhunt! We can do it! FLY HIGH RED BIRDS BEAT THE SAINTS!
    ….and, now, no doubt we will hear from our favorite nay sayers…LOL!

32. By KYLE on Mar 1, 2012 | Reply

ok for some reason i thought the extra sixth rounder from last year was compensatory for dansby.

33. By cards62 on Mar 2, 2012 | Reply

Sorry about your trip Ben, but I do think this will be good for our team especially our QBs and defense.

Go Cards