• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

So many unknowns with Manning

Posted by Darren Urban on March 7, 2012 – 4:49 pm

Let’s start here: Peyton Manning, at his press conference Wednesday to announce his release from the Colts, said “I haven’t thought a lot about where I’ll play.”

You can argue about whether that’s true or not, but only Peyton knows for sure. So that leaves everybody scrambling today to guesstimate what will happen with Manning. SI’s Jim Trotter said one team exec thought between nine and 11 teams would be chasing Manning. That number sounds about right, and the usual suspects — including the Cards — have been named many, many times across media platforms.

I’ve had a lot of questions of how “serious” the Cards would be about Manning. That I can’t answer. Not one time, on or off the record, has anyone in the building talked about Manning specifically. That wasn’t going to happen when he was still a Colt, and it probably won’t change even now. The best you can do is connect some dots, from the door general manager Rod Graves left ajar in Indy when he said the team will continue to look for ways to improve. Certainly, no one has dismissed the idea publicly, and there have been a lot of outlets (starting with Charley Casserly, remember?) that have connected Manning with the Cards or said the team will have interest — and I would agree. Fox’s Adam Schein even reported that the Cards not only will chase Manning but have a plan to bring in receiver Reggie Wayne too. (That would be a surprise to me, but ruling things out at this point would probably be a mistake.)

At this point, though, nothing is much different than when speculation began weeks ago. Teams must figure out if Manning has interest in playing for them (I am guessing there are not really nine-to-11 teams that Manning would play for, although he might not tell them that to keep his heavy leverage.) He’ll have to have a workout at some point for all the teams that want to see it. He’ll have to submit to physicals. His health remains a big deal.

“I’m throwing it pretty well,” Manning said at his presser today. “I’ve still got some work to do. I’ve got some progress to make, but I’ve come a long way. … I’m feeling closer and closer. I have to remind myself that it is March. I have a hard time doing that at times. It sure feels comfortable.”

His release allows teams — on-the-record and otherwise — finally feel comfortable letting people know of their interest. There have been reports today about the Seahawks, Redskins, Jets and Broncos seeking Manning, and the Dolphins have long been a no-brainer. As for the Cards, I agree it fits on a lot of levels, from the dome to Fitz to the fact Whiz worked well with Kurt Warner and has shown himself flexible enough to fit a talented QB into the offense. Logistics could be difficult, such as the roster bonus Kevin Kolb is due in 10 days. Trotter said he heard Manning will need time to collect himself after an emotional separation from Indy.

Manning, who has a home in Miami, was followed long enough by a media group after returning there today that he finally stopped to talk (that would get real old real quick). He told those reporters he didn’t know what teams were interested in him and “I don’t know if it’s like college recruiting where you take visits. It’s all new to me.”

It’s all new to everyone. Health issues aside, I don’t remember such a high-profile player being on the open market like this, an iconic player, who at least still has a chance to be playing at a high level.

Tags: , , , , , ,

69 Responses to “So many unknowns with Manning”

1. By Alex Mann on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Darren-
    I hope you’re prepping your Manning to Arizona Article(;
    Haha jk. In all seriousness what percentage do you say Manning would show up? I’ve seen it range from 25% to anywhere are 17%. Your thoughts?

2. By Sir60 on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

He will choose a team with a domed stadium and an elite wide reciever. I don’t believe he will make a decision based on money. He just wants to play football.

3. By LUKE on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

hopefully we can nab him.with wayne also….wow.you having housler/heap going one way and wayne and fitz firing off with peyton behind center,lets not forget ryan williams coming out of the backfield and larod…………..i smell fun games to watch if we get him .

4. By Eddie on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Do Whatever You Gotta Do To Get This Man Here….. Make The AZ Dream Come True

5. By Peter on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Who cares about on or off the record. I know what I want and that is for Manning to Play for the Cardinals. Some fans might think this will set the Cards back, but I disagree and I hope that I get to see it happen. Manning will have a shot at a Miami team that will be playing us somewhere down the stretch next year and I would hate to get torched by a player we had a shot at. No offence to Kolb, but it’s Peyton Manning. You can’t pass up a Peyton Manning.

6. By Paul Liccardi on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

i would love to see payton become a cardinal, i think this would give arizona a chance to not only get back to the superbowl, but win it this time.

7. By cardfancolorado on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

It would surprise me if Peyton signed here and if he did it would be a bigger surprise if Wayne did too. Seeing how Fitz is the teams #1.
    Darren, would it all shock you if that scenario happened?

8. By cardfancolorado on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Darren never mind.

9. By Eazy E on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Nnamdi was a huge free agent, but probably the last one even bigger would be Reggie White. Peyton would be even bigger. Wayne would be another #1 alongside Fitz with Peyton would be sweet. Cards don’t disappoint please.

10. By jeffrey stiefel on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

we could really use him thats for sure and it would be a pleaser to play with him when i get on the cardinals thats for sure so im hoping he goes with them after i left my high school he went there to help the team train and i look up to him for that

11. By dynasty1717 on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

The Cards should make a push for Manning. If they can’t make the deal happen by the time Kolb’s bonus comes due, they should still cut Kolb and rely on Orton as a contigency plan if Manning can’t be signed. Why? I think most are in agreement that even though we didn’t see a full season of Kolb, we saw enough to know that he won’t be able to take us to the promised land.

12. By Scott H on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Well…open the flood gates and let the games begin! This Manning thing is gonna be a speculation-fest of biblical proportions. With approx 11 teams interested already and maybe more to follow??? This is a dream come true for the media. Holy cow…

I’m not even gettting myself worked up over Manning until / unless it becomes clear that he is truly PHYSICALLY capable of being the player he was / has been. Because if not, then what is the point?

But I DO have to think that if his career is going to continue with another team, that his preference would be to play with an indoor team. It’s where he has played his entire career and it is clearly more Manning-friendly than, say, the late-season harsh climates of places like Seattle, Washington, New York. For what is is worth right now, I would think this is a huge advantage for the Cardinals…espceially when you consider that NO other team on this “list” can offer a WR as talented as Larry Fitzgerald.

13. By scott023 on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

This is where he should come. The cards are the best fit hands down. He will go down in history as the greatest qb of all time. With him and fritz together, OMG we will win at least three sb’s in a row. This man can read defense, with our running backs all together and him at qb, all records will be broken. Football will be fun for them. With our defense comming together as we have. We will take the seasons by storm,year after year. He has four or five great years easy, before he should even think of stopping. Remember when montana got his back hurt, he returned and was better than he was before he was hurt, and he is not near as big and strong as payton is. This dome was made for him. The smartest move for him is the cards,period.

14. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Alex -

RE: PM odds

If Manning doesn’t know, I certainly don’t.

15. By stewart badly on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Where is Kevin’s comment about how good is Kolb? He is nowhere to be found. lol

16. By D on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

I bet he chooses a team fast, like before Tues when FA opens up, he has no other QB on the market to worry about the next 5 days

17. By K in Cali on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Manning to Fitzgerald – TOUCHDOWN! Cardinals win the SuperBowl!
    Who would make a better team? Anyone? Anyone? I didn’t think so ;)
    The hardest part of that will deciding which one of them is MVP

18. By Matt on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

The one thing that worries me is he has a home in south beach but Peyton please consider this, the cards have shown that they are just a qb away from a superbowl thats all it took last time we’ve had many years of successful draft picks and I see us only being a lineman or two away from the perfect fit for you and that will be addressed in the draft and possibly free agency, our defense is only getting better, your not walking into a team like miami who has struggled since Marino left and has many needs and not to mention plays outside or a team like the Jets whose locker room is a mess and coach only cares about being in front of a camera not winning a superbowl. In Arizona you will be working with true proffesionals like Fitz and with a team and coaching staff who have tasted greatness and are starving for more. Peyton I’ve been a cardinals fan for over 2 decades and I’ve never had the faith in them I do now, this is not the cardiac cards anymore! Come win a couple Superbowls with us!!

19. By georgiebird on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

I can’t believe all the Super Bowl talk. Is anybody really sure the AZ defense can stop a good offense? Manning has won one SB in 13 years, why will he win one in AZ.
    Could it be Cards just want to get to the playoffs by beating the sub-par offenses in the NFC West and then roll the dice against the better offensive teams?

20. By vik on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

As #90 mentioned, who wouldn’t want Peyton in AZ?! But, in the event we don’t win the Peyton sweepstakes, I just hope he doesn’t land in SFO or Seattle. That would suck! As it is, the NFC-W will be a tough division next season.

21. By Brian on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

I doubt this one will happen

Pick up Manning, sign Wayne, and spent the first two draft picks on o-linemen…

if anything just get manning, we need a superbowl win fast.

22. By Andy K on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

I totally regret what I mentioned about a month ago about not signing Manning. Peyton Manning deserves another chance at being the starting QB and I believe there are only 3 teams that would be the best fit for him: Cardinals, Chiefs, and Redskins. Our offensive line will definitely be much better than last years. Peyton Manning is a guy with a lot of heart. He could end his career with the Arizona Cardinals and retore the glory our team had in the past. Peyton Manning is such a great role model and a great mentor. If the Cardinals sign him to at least a 2-3yr contract, our team would be phenomenal. Peyton will be along side of Kurt Warner as one of the best free agency signings all time by the AZ Cardinalls. I believe it is time for Kolb to take his stand and be the best he can be, Skelton has tremondous ability and I believe that he would appreciate a great mentor. Good Luck Peyton Manning for your future in the NFL. I have been a fan of PM for a couple of years now and I believe he still has 5yrs of football lefr in him. PM needs to take everything calmly and whatever decision he makes, i’ll stand by it but just don’t go the Seahawks.

23. By ndpenner on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

The last time we rolled the dice we had pretty good results. Almost beat the Steelers and the Zebras. But alas, the Zebras were too strong in the end…

24. By Andy K on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you know what other players the Cardinals have been interested in other than Peyton Manning and will Levi Brown’s contract be renewed?

25. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Any parallel Darren, between Manning and Kolb (And with all the rumors, has he offered any statements? Would think he’s convoluted right now.) and the Kent Graham and Boomer Esiason year?

26. By kaleb on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

I must admit, with respect to Kevin Kolb and his future wherever, it is the chance of a lifetime to pick up Peyton and any team besides a few would be foolish to not pursue him.

27. By Kevin on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

I’ve never been a Manning fan in particular, but I can’t deny his greatness. It would be incredibly exciting and I could definitely become a huge Manning fan – real quick. However, if I were him, I’d be concerned about how AZ does in protecting their QBs. I think this would be a great place for him, but a QB coming off an injury will probably be thinking twice before signing up with us…but maybe that’s just me.

28. By Steve on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Darren: If the Cards determine that Manning is healthy and has a genuine interest in playing for them, what happens if he needs more time past the 17th(when Kolb gets his bonus)to talk with other teams first before making a final decision? Can you see a scenario where the Cards pay Kolb his roster bonus AND continue their pursuit of Manning or does this all need to be resolved before the 17th of March?

29. By kaleb on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

georgie bird… Some may argue that defense wins football games, i argue that more points wins football games. Heres an equation for you: More Plays = more time of possession = less time defense is on the field which = less responsibility for the defense. Not to mention, if a deal takes place, you have more room for defensive players in the draft. In a perfect world the cards get peyton and reggie and also pick up an offensive lineman and perhaps a pass rusher in free agency, then in the draft we nab jonathin martin in round 1 then use the rest on defensive players….
    RECIPE TO AN INSTANT CONTENDER

30. By Marcelo on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

no cap talks please…. manning coming in would put cards on the spotlight, prime times, merchandise, cap would grow bigger I believe.

My opinion, why signing him instead of other “holes”? he can bring profit to cards that no other can. What if he doesn`t work out? better off with him no working out than others, at least he can bring some benefits.

Darren, can we expect sudden moves from teams in order to have him?

31. By Pete Dowdle on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

I would love to see the Peyton-to-Fitzgerald hook-ups we Cardinasl fans feel would be the best relationship between any two players in the NFL over at least the next couple of seasons. But a lot of things need to be just right for that to become a reality.

First, Peyton’s health needs to be where he can play at the level he was at two seasons ago, when he last played a game in the NFL. As of yet, only people talking here and there suggest that he’ll be ready to play at that required level. Until he demonstrates he can perform more than just the basics in a workout session, and then can hold up through not just minicamps, training camp, the preseason and the regular season, there’ll be no determination that the investment was worthwhile. And, of course, short of making the playoffs and, dare I say, the SuperBowl, many fans, including myself, will have questions that it was ever worth all that’d likely have to be given him to make him a Cardinal. As of now, I think the Card’s are strong contenders to win the West at the very least.

Secondly, while the Card’s have a lot in place to make themselves an attractive fit for Peyton, they’re still a few key players from making that fit work as well as we’d all like to see it. Peyton comes from a history of consistency at certain positions. He’s benefitted greatly from having at least two really dynamic receivers to toss the ball two, as well as smart and talented lineman to help keep him upright long enough to get the ball downfield. We have Fitzgerald, who’s the kind of player that even someone like Peyton probably salivates over the idea of throwing to, but the rest of the receiving group are number 3′s and 4′s, at best. Get Reggie Wayne? Sure, if that’s doable. But that would take even more money than the Card’s can possibly manage to spend (Wayne’s a certified number 1 that can command the kind of money that comes with being such, and the Card’s just gave Fitgerald a lot of money–it’s hard to imagine so much money going to two players at the same position). If there’s an upgrade at the wide receiver position, whether it be with Wayne or another high-caliber playmaker out there, that makes getting talented lineman to come here all the more difficult, if only because they’ll be commanding their own money, which could be just as steep. In a perfect world, all of this would happen… but we all know better as Cardinal fans that this isn’t a perfect world we live in!

Again, I would love to see Peyton come to Arizona. It could work! But then, it might not. And if it doesn’t, I got to think that it would fail in a big way, setting the Card’s back at least a few years. If we wish to subscribe to the win-now mentality, then let’s all roll the dice and never look back (yeah, right… as if!). But if we want a more sustainable chance at success, then let the Card’s invest throughout the whole of the team, create depth at various positions, and develop their players, especially of the quarterback variety, so we can see the growth of champions over the course of the years to come. I love the Card’s, and I just want what’s best for them.

32. By Mark G. on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

I guess we’re all hoping to catch the proverbial “lightening in a bottle” again like we did with Kurt Warner, but this is different in at the time I don’t think there were a lot of teams interested in Kurt when he was released. I can’t see Peyton leaving the AFC, I think he signs with Miami or Denver.

33. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Andy K -

RE: free agents

No, not yet. As for Levi, he’s already under contract. But unless they restructure soon, he will hit the open market.

34. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands -

RE: parallels

Boomer vs Graham is a little before my time. But as good as Boomer once was, he was never Peyton Manning.

35. By cobra on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

@ georgiebird,

Fly back to where you came from, or atleast get a clue!

36. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Steve -

RE: Kolb n Manning

I could see that scenario. I know cutting Kolb has been a popular topic, but while it would save $7M in real cash on the bonus, his cap number is $10m on the roster and $8m if he is cut. Not a huge savings.

37. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Marcelo -

RE: sudden moves

Good question. Guess it will depend on his health.

38. By Jwilson on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

I would imagine he would prefer a team that could contend. The Jets play outside in cold weather, plus I don’t see him playing in the same stadium his brother plays in. Miami also is outdoors although he has a home there and they do have a great o line and a decent number 1 receiver…if his minds right. But they play in the division the pats own and have a new coach. Maybe this motivates Manning because he is a real competitor but remember the pats for the most part have had his number. Manning wants another ring. Are the Cards a great QB away from being a great team, maybe not yet but…They have a good young D, they play in a dome, they have warm weather great for the type of injury he is recovering from, they have possibly the best receiver and at least in the top three, a coach that likes to throw the ball, good young backs, the line needs some work, and most importantly they play in a very week division, meaning they should be able to get in the playoffs and then a few good games your find yourself back in the bowl. So I think it comes down to the Cards or Miami.

39. By Chuck 1 on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

I have to reiterate what I’ve written before: unless the Cards significantly improve their OL, Peyton (if he becomes the Cards’ QB), probably won’t survive the whole season without a significant injury.

40. By Ken Cadena on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

Whiz get rid of the other bum’s, and go with a proven winner in Manning. He is hungry, and he will finish what Kurt started. GUUAARRAANNTEEEED

41. By JHdeFlag on Mar 7, 2012 | Reply

It’s funny. I think we all saw this coming. But, the possibilty of Manning being a free agent is night and the actuality of him being free is day. “Peyton to AZ!” I feel like a child hoping Santa will bring me that Lego set.

It’s always said that people in the NFL are professionals. I wonder how much Whisenhunt and Rod Graves had that unemotional game plan they will stick with and not get caught up in all this. I have a hard time picturing them sleeping like babies tonight. Just the idea of it. Arizona would go wild.

42. By Andrew on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I wonder how true that article is because those are some big claims that could be great for the Peyton to AZ chances! Didn’t think we’d have a shot for him and Reggie Wayne. If we do, maybe just draft a lineman with every pick in the draft lol. Hard not to get excited, fun to be part of the sweepstakes here! Let’s go cards!!

43. By Bryan Rodriguez on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Fitzgerald + Manning= Super bowl ring, playing it simple

44. By Zach on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I have always believed since the first day I watched him that Skelton has so much potential in the NFL. Here is my scenario:

-Sign Peyton Manning to a 2 year deal.
    -Trade Kevin Kolb to a team like Miami, Washington, Denver, etc. and at least get something out of him
    -Let Skelton learn from the best (Manning); I have always believed since the first day I watched him that Skelton has so much potential in the NFL.

….Oh and maybe while your at it, pick up Reggie Wayne too? I could go for that.

I can already hear Ron Wolfey talking about the beast catch by Fitzgerald off the throw from Manning.

“Manning drops back, looks, steps up in the pocket, Manning throws, Fitz deep in the end zone, CAUGHT! Fitzgerald snatches the ball in double coverage for the touchdown!”

45. By rargue on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I can just see it now… Manning drops back in the pocket. Larry Fitzerald breaks away from the defenders. Manning gets rid of the ball just before he gets plowed over by a massive line backer… oh crap hes not getting up?!? oh well i guess bring Skelton in.

46. By Rugbymuffin on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

It is great to think about.

But with so many teams in the mix, we are talking about NFL front offices competiting against one another.

The Cardinals do NOT have a competitive front office. They cannot compete with a majority of NFL teams when it comes to brining in, and signing talent.

If they were to pull this off, I would be happily shocked, and be very impressed with our front office. Landing a big fish with small bait.

We will see. It is interesting none the less. The fact the Cardinals are even entertaining this options is something very new to this organization, and good to hear.

47. By BeatSF on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Someone remind Peyton that he could host the SB in 2015! Something he missed out on in Indy.

48. By cardsalltheway on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

“Cardinals have reached out to P. Manning”
    You don’t say, if we didn’t we’d be almost the only team in the NFL. But, we’ve only done so for PR purposes. No need to get your hopes up fans, Brian Billick said Ken W. wouldn’t want to give up his(power) offense to P. Manning. I agree and said as much before Billick because we all know Ken W. has prior plans for the betterment of the team.

49. By dan on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

No way Manning comes here………..he wants to stay in the AFC, he has a house in Miami and his wife likes Miami. Reggie Wayne wants to go to Miami and I think the Mannings prefer to stay on the East Coast just like Eli didn’t want to play in San Diego.

50. By Keith on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I will remain with Kolb it’s still the real deal. I’m not getting my hope’s up until he actually signs the contract with the Cardinals. GO #4!!!

51. By Marcelof on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Well, press and nfl network is already landing him in Miami, not by using direct words, but out of 10 topics about PM, 8 involves the damn Dolphins….

can we consider Miami is a step ahead of other contenders?!

plus, let’s think Manning does not come to the desert….. do you cards fan still believe in KK? I simply can’t.

52. By D on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

New Plan for Cards with PM possiblity on board:
    Assuming PM is signed here in the next 7 days,
    1- Need to resign L. Brown at Left tackle asap. (top Left tackles in draft will be gone by 13). He is most durable Tackle than any UFA on the market starting Tues. I would assume he would want to play with PM.
    2- Free agent signing–Anthony Collins Right Tackle, Cincy.
    (won’t be able to afford a FA WR-A. Roberts and Housler will become stars)
    Also need to resign R. Marshall at S.
    3)First round selection at 13 –Melvin Ingram OLB pass rusher.
    Then sit back and watch the fear coming out of SF!!!

53. By joe67 on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

You think everyone is holding their breath when Kevin gets hit, imagine what it would be like when PM gets hit.
    Life long Cards fan. Always been a big fan of PM.
    My suggestion………….CARDS DON’T DO IT! …….To many health concerns.
    I think he will be tempted by at least 8 games on nat grass, and 9 games a year guaranteed in a dome.

54. By brad oneill on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

if we trade Kolb and keep manning, we are going to watch Kolb win a lot of games for the next twelve years for some team other than us. we will have 2 or 3 legitimate shots at the super bowl and Skelton will be given time to develop properly. i am sure he doesn’t want to be a career back up but the reality is a year behind manning would be great for him 3 or 4 years behind manning would probably be pushing his patience but would set up a possible steve young-montana situation.

I know denver wouldn’t part with Miller for kolb straight up, but i could see Kolb, plus our 1 st round pick or possibly 3rd and a late round pick with Kolb.

55. By Voice of Reason on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I’ve heard the Reggie Wayne to the Cards speculation for a while, and I think he’d be a great fit here. And if that helps us lure Manning, well, you don’t think twice.

This is also NOT a time to be conservative. Certainly weren’t with Kurt Warner, and he only played one year of the two year deal he signed. And Warner had his share of injury issues here too.

56. By Sir60 on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

“What if sports” has an interesting scenerio based on simulations. you may want to check it out.

57. By cardsalltheway on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

What do you think about Brian Billick essentially saying the same thing as me(after me)? I do like his choice of words saying Ken W. wouldn’t want P. Manning to hijack our offense. And to think P. Manning is like an offensive line coach oh my, he might even be able to improve Levi Brown/show up Russ Grimm. P. Manning ain’t gonna happen, even though I sure wish it did.

58. By Cardfancolo on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I’m sorry pick-up Orton over Kolb what the heck are you drinking?

59. By ltlaneaz on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I have read a lot of talk about which teams are closer to being SB contenders. Not once has anyone mentioned the 4 early losses the Cards had early in the season, 8 points total (in those 4 losses) if I remember correctly. With average QB play, which PM would provide, the Cards could have easily been 12-4. I know thinking we would have won the close victories with him under center are still counted, but this is a pretty large swing. I dont know why this is not mentioned, but of the teams competing for PM it seems to me the Cards have a clear advantage in just about all aspects, including coaching adaptability. Even our O-line seems overly maligned for poor performance, when it is not like their QBs gave them much help there. From a pure talent persepective, it just seems obvious that the Cardinals are the best fit, and most ready to win now. What say you?

60. By Gerald Jones on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Darren, – the sports shows mention a good relationsip between PM and coach Whiz. What is that all about?

61. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

ltlaneaz –

RE: Best fit/close games

You can play the “close” game both ways. They were within a touchdown of losing every one of the eight wins they had too.

I can see the fit for PM, but it’s not a guarantee.

62. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Gerald –

RE: Whiz/PM

I don’t know specifics, but I have heard similar things.

63. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Gerald –

RE: Whiz/PM

I don’t know specifics, but I have heard similar things.

64. By Angela on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

I dont understand why all the push for another broken, quarterback. REALLY??? we haven’t learned our lesson over the past few years since Warner retired? We have a quarterback with promise. Have a little faith in what we already have. And trade Kolb in a a bag of cheetos, get a back up for skelton, who has shown more heart than any of the others. Manning doesnt even want to be here, his heart isnt in it, and btw he’s broken….

65. By Ham Roberts on Mar 8, 2012 | Reply

Ok – Reality check. Peyton Manning… hmmm. If I were Peyton Manning, I would try to assess the situation. Receivers … check (they need to hold the ball) Running backs … check Risking paralysis from an offensive line that got both starting quaterbacks knocked out of games last season… not worth it. I am a Cardinal fan, and I have seen years of panic in the quarterback department. First off, Kolb is not worth throwing anymore money at, period. Skelton deserves a shot, simply because he put W’s on the board. You need a good veteran like Manning who can mentor and possible be a quarterback coach. Be Realistic!.

66. By Scott H on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Angela -

I share your enthusiasm for Skelton. I think he’s got something and I think he is a good QB developing right before our eyes. Can’t say that I’m not intrigued by the idea of Peyton Manning ( IF he can physically handle playing for a few more years at a high level ) but…I still think Skelton is gonna be the future of this team.

Sorry to say, but I don’t see Kolb being the future here. IF Manning lands here, then he’s gone. Period. Has to be ’cause they can’t pay both of them. Skelton is then the back-up and has a high probability of playing at some point because of an injury to Manning.

If Kolb stays here, then Manning is obviously somewhere else. And if Skelton has not beaten Kolb out during camp and won the starting job, then there is (again ) a very high probablility that he plays at some point because Kolb cannot last long without being injured.

Either way, it seems like Skelton ends up being the guy. And ya know what? Fine with me because I think he’s the guy who SHOULD play.

67. By Mike in Mesa on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Mentor, mentor, mentor. If all our players just had mentors they’d all be in the pro bowl. If I just had a mentor I could blog better.

68. By Keegan on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Been a Colts fan since their Baltimore days and now live in Souther AZ. Bitter sweet for me if he comes to the Cards. Hated to see him leave Indy but believe he would be a great fit in AZ and a great mentor for their young QB’s. He isn’t washed up by any means and certainly brings a winning attitude to the team!

69. By Bob on Mar 9, 2012 | Reply

Ham –

I agree with the brutal reality.

Somebody please get Grimm some talented linemen who can protect the quarterback, and block for the running game.

Please Cardinals, do not sign Kolb. He was never more than a backup, and not a good backup either. He mentioned at one point last year that he would ‘not play if he was not 100 percent’. Peyton Manning would kill to be 100 percent again, and he still wants to play. Cut your losses, (Kolb), now. We gave away DRC tor that bum. We would have had two shutdown cornerbacks. Don’t even get me started on losing Steve Breaston, a key third down receiver. Bartel was a way better backup and could move the team down the field. Skelton deserves the chance, he played the tougher part of the schedule, with a beat up team. WIth a full preseason, this team with the present key players , can only get better.