• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp
  • Sun., May. 25, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.

Fitz on Manning: “I don’t know anything”

Posted by Darren Urban on March 10, 2012 – 1:19 pm

Larry Fitzgerald was playing quarterback for charity Saturday, but he certainly wasn’t the quarterback everyone wanted him to talk about. Not that the Pro Bowl receiver was going to do anything but insist he knew nothing about Peyton Manning.

“If they are doing it, I haven’t heard anything about it,” Fitzgerald said during a break at Kurt Warner’s annual flag football tournament Saturday. “I am as eager as everyone to see him.”

“At this point,” Fitz added, noting the time (12:08 p.m.), “I don’t know anything.”

Take that how you will. Someone asked if Fitz was going to be part of a dinner – a half-joke referencing the did-he-or-didn’t-he meet with Manning at the Super Bowl – and Fitz said “If there is one, I haven’t gotten an invite yet.”

Of course, Fitzgerald as usual was downplaying any role he could even have. Take this comment about his relationship with Manning in the first place: “I just know him in passing. I don’t have his phone number or anything like that. If I saw him I’d know who he is, and he’d probably know who I was and we would speak.”

Um, OK.

Given those points, Fitzgerald said he didn’t know what Manning might be searching for when choosing his new team. Safe to say, Fitz wasn’t adding a lot of insight to the situation.

“I haven’t talked to Peyton so I really don’t know what his, you know, what’s important to him,” Fitzgerald said. “Obviously winning is important first and foremost but in terms of style and personnel I don’t know. That would be up to Peyton.”

Fitzgerald said he had faith in the Bidwills and GM Rod Graves to make the right moves in free agency. But he wasn’t going to get specific, especially about the quarterback position.

“There is still a lot of work to be done (with the team),” Fitzgerald said. “I’d hate to speculate on what could or could not happen. John (Skelton) and Kevin (Kolb) both made big strides for us last year.”

Tags: , ,

39 Responses to “Fitz on Manning: “I don’t know anything””

1. By D on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

good move larry, can’t be put in that situation if az doesn’t land him, would be uncomfortable with kolb in training camp

2. By Jesus on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

look at that QB combo Fitz to Fitz!
    wait Brady can’t throw the ball and catch it too!

Skelton to Fitz!

THAT SOUNDS GOOD!

3. By az1965 on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

LOL, Larry!!!

This was pretty funny…

4. By John on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Isn’t good to be silent in these kinds of situation? I’d rather be quiet on this deal than loud.

5. By David on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

It is a sad comment on my life that I am so interested in this non-story.

6. By Paul H on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Good Sgt. Shultz act Larry. Larry is cooler then the other side of the pillow. What if Larry has a plane ticket back to Minnesota tonight? Is he going? No I don’t think so. He may have not been told anything specific but I’m sure his calender has been cleared the next couple of days in case he is needed by the team.

7. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

As usual, Fitz says little and lets his family do the talking.
    Dad tweets an affirmative to the pre- Super Bowl dinner and little brother says Manning due in Phoenix late afternoon/tonight.
    Couple that with Pro Bowl pictures and reported sighting last offseason dinner between the two and Whiz, hardly makes me believe that Larry doesn’t know what’s going on.

8. By Marcelo on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Larry saying NO in the derby’s middle? it means PM is heading to AZ. Believe me, unless the linguistic methods I have been studying are totally wrong, chances on PM are over 80%

9. By Rich on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

The Cards are very quiet…..makes me think they have a rabbit up their sleeve. Also, the pace of Manning’s decisions fits the Kolb bonus situation.

10. By Jeremiah on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

According to NFL.com Manning is scheduled to land in Phoenix at 10:22 PM eastern.

11. By Scott H on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

C’mon, why would we expect Fitz to say anything one way or the other? You play all sides and say as little as possible. Standard pro athelete speak for this situation. We know he wants to win. I believe he absolutely wants to see Manning come here. If that doesn’t happen, he will move on with his own preparation and doing everything he can to work with Kolb and / or Skelton to win with them. And he will say all of the right things all the way through. Love this guy!

12. By Jswizzle on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Do you know which terminal Peyton will come out at in the airport so we can greet him and welcome him haha?

13. By in fitz we trust on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

wow, i think its gonna be a toss up between AZ and MIA. i feel we have a better chance overall. i made a prediction when the todd haley hype was at its peak and i was obviously wrong. i hope i’m right this time about manning wearing cardinal red next year! then maybe we would finally make some headlines lol

14. By Cactus jeff on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

I have an idea, let’s go from Pittsburg west to Indy west. Say goodbye to Porter and Hagans. Hello to Peyton, Wayne, and Dallas Clark. Sorry Heap but your are out too.

15. By Chuck on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Can i get my Cardinals #18 jersey yet?

16. By cardsalltheway on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

Paul H.,
    Hogan’s Heroes Sgt. Shultz, I know, see, hear nothing, nothing…

17. By mark hix on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

I really am for the cardinals going for peyton manning. he has an opportunity to have his career end in a great fashion, and get the cardinals the last thing we need, OFFENSE. If we have a leader who can take that offense and make players play to their best of their abilities then were set. Manning does that too, he madeso many players better. Plus him to fitzgerald would be fantastic. Who wouldnt want to witness that. I hope that manning figures the obvious answer that were the best team to go to, because if we sign Reggie Wayne will be impossible to compete with. Football is a mystery though, pivotal injuries can put seasons in jeopardy/ And I am tired of our team not getting the credit they deserve, we had an amazing second half of the season. We played so great and competed with every team. WE WERE ONE CATCH AWAY FROM PLAYOFF CONTENTION (DOUCET FALLING OVER HIMSELF) But even Skelton getting to witness how manning performs could really help him a ton. Skelton has proven he can WIN, but maybe manning will show him Constancy. I felt the need to get my thoughts out because I have no idea why manning would go to Denver or Miami. Miami has a bad reputation and leadership. They really offer you nothing but players who play for money, and thats not what fans want to see. Denver has Tebow and if Manning starts over him then sportscenter has nothing to talk about. I just think Arizona has the best fit and I know its not because I am a die hard fan, but we have so much talent.

-Mark Hix

18. By azfancolo on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

I just hope the local tv stations do not break in the middle of a program and follow the vehicle that Peyton is in like high speed chase like they did here in Denver.

19. By maham on Mar 10, 2012 | Reply

So the stories are all saying the same thing – Peyton is visiting three cities; Denver, Phoenix and Miami. What there not telling you is that the last stop in Miami is just to pick up his belongings and sell the condo.

20. By bluepitt on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Why did I find out from Yahoo first, that Manning is in AZ ?

21. By Ken Cadena on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Get rid of the 2 bums

22. By Eazy E on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Very smart man

23. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Chuck –

RE: 18 jersey

Oddly, they have yet to make the Stephen Williams one available.

24. By Mal on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

1. Where are you — still in Texas?

2. I know M.Bidwill is a pilot — could you find out for us if he flew PM from Denver last night in his private plane?

3. I read that Denver last season was 9th in most sacks allowed — where were the Cards in that regard?

25. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Mal –

RE: Questions

1. Yes
    2. I probably won’t be able to get that detail.
    3. In sacks per pass attempt — important since Denver passed much less than most teams — Broncos were 27th in NFL, Cards were 28th.

26. By DontTakeLoses on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Fitz is so cool. Meeting with PM now at Cards HQ. Sweet.

27. By Chuck 1 on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Do you know if the Cards have made an offer to Peyton?

28. By tomanycards on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

This message is to Kevin Kolb. Our expectations are to Win and Win often.

29. By Giorgio on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

the Mannings are smart people, are smart as any football people around. Peyton knows that if he goes to Denver it becomes a circus w/Hall of Famer John Elway sitting in the booth watching over his shoulder w/national TV angling a camera shot every few minutes–remember those games where hs was twitching watching Tebow play run and throw? of the three football clubs–AZ, Denver, Miami, the Cards are the most solid organizationally. Miami is another drama made for TV w/their owner. remember the mess they had tring to hire Jeff Fisher, who eventually went to the Rams. no question the AZ O-line needs fixing. that’s long over due, but if Hall Famer O-lineman and Offensive Coordinator Russ Grimm could have the players he needs he could patch that thing up nicely!! we have receivers-Early Ducet (like Peyton a La. boy), Andre Roberts, Todd Heap, Rob Housler, and King, plus Beanie and few other in the backfield. (by bringing in Frank Reich from the Colts as receivers he should work wonders w/the receiving corps.) look what QB John Skelton did w/the receiving corps when he got hot. and hey, Ray Horton and his wrecking ball crew on Defense is for real. don’t underestimate Michael Bidwell, i’ve known and worked w/him over the years, and he’s both tough shrewd. the Cards can do this!! only thing is that Peyton must be convinced that AZ is the place. Paradise Valley is not a bad place to have a home and hang your helmet.

30. By Darren Urban on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Chuck 1 -

RE: offer

I do not.

31. By steve on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

PM is not going to arizona….he using them too raise his stakes…miami or denver will be his choice…My gut says denver….sorry card fans but fitz is the only talent on yer team

32. By EricY on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Peyton is going to come to Arizona. He’ll want to play for Whisenhunt. He’s an established coach with plenty of Super Bowl experience. Peyton will want to go to a team with stability. You watch, it’s going to happen.

Darren, you are going to be a very, very busy man if Peyton comes to town… as if you weren’t already.

33. By DontTakeLoses on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Giorgio: monster post. Well done. D’accord. Peyton wants to play Augusta on Monday after the Masters, annually, with Whiz. Cards get it done is my bet.

34. By Andrew on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Okay, you got to think a bit. PM hasn’t thrown a ball to the best of his ability in months! And for all we know, by the start of the season, he still might not be ready. My father has had the same exact surgery, and it is even worse then it was before he got the surgery. So i dont think we should really get our hopes up about it. I think we will do perfectly fine with kevin kolb.. Not only that we dont have that kind of money to give to Manning. He has like 2 years left (if he can even throw) and that will be like 50 million dollars! The Cards CAP could not do that right now! so in my mind, the cards cant afford manning. No matter how much i like the guy, its just not worth it..

35. By m2surf on Mar 11, 2012 | Reply

Any idea on the close? Will this likely to be a bidding war between francises or will PM’s camp present a minimum acceptable offer to his preferred team?

2. Mar 10, 2012: Larry Fitzgerald in wait-and-see mode on Peyton Manning | E. OVERSTREET SPORTS MANAGEMENT
  3. Mar 10, 2012: Backlinkz − Fitzgerald unsure if Cards will chase Peyton Manning − Backlinkz
  4. Mar 11, 2012: Fitzgerald unsure if Cards will chase Peyton Manning | Sports, News, Entertainment, US Legislation
  5. Mar 11, 2012: Word From the Birds BlogManning visits while the cap is set «