A little extra to spend

Posted by Darren Urban on March 12, 2012 – 5:12 pm

The NFL announced Monday,with free agency so close, that they were hitting the Redskins and Cowboys with removal of cap space this year and next because of violations when the league was uncapped in 2011. The details aren’t as important for the Cards except for the part where the league is giving that extra cap space to 28 other teams (the Saints and Raiders had minor infractions so they don’t get extra space, but they aren’t docked either.)

The extra space is $1.6 million, according to ESPN. At this point, any little bit helps for the Cards. The next day or so, when teams must comply with the cap and begin free agency, could be busy across the league and have results like today when the Texans surprisingly cut right tackle Eric Winston for cap reasons.

Wow, a post that didn’t mention Pey … dang it!

Tags: , , ,

46 Responses to “A little extra to spend”

1. By brad oneill on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

its funny how the penalty works, Wash and Dallas have to pay less for their teams this year and 28 other teams get rewarded by getting to pay more. Life as an owner just feels a little unfair at times.

2. By Rich on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

This is fabulous news. Whether we get Peyton or not, we gotta rebuild that Oline, and Eric Winston might be a nice start.

3. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Other than Peyton, do you know of any other free agents we may be targeting?

4. By ShaunMChurch_BR on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

So what’s the deal with Larry? Last week, Spotrac.com listed his 2012 cap hit at over $20 mil, and this morning it’s just over $13 mil. Did he restructure to help make room?

5. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

“The next day or so, when teams must comply with the cap…”
    I thought no ifs, ands or buts, the top 51 players had to be under the maximum team salary by 4pm Eastern time on the first day of the league year. (Tuesday)
    Can the Cards put off cuts and restructuring ’til Wednesday or longer?
    And an aside question, Darren, which player is more expendable (also taking in possible money looking for), Richard Marshall or Early Doucet?

6. By earlbb88cards on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Dont worry, the last of the PM talk out here will be thurs or fri when he goes to the broncos, simply the broncos are a wopping 40mill under the cap and that is with Teebow still there,once he leaves because of PM and his whole colts crew following him ,they will have even more under the cap, i dont see the cards being able to compeat with that, what are some ways we can free up that kind of money ,other than cutting Levi Brown and Kevin Kolb thats just not gonna be enough to get Reggie Wayne and who ever else PM wants what do you think darren? Help me believe we still have a realistic chance for PM

7. By Sir60 on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

So close.

8. By azfancolo on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Well very true every little bit helps, and yes dang it!! Haha.

9. By Kyle on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Darren, two questions for you, first have you heard anything else on the likelyhood of us landing manning? And two, do you think we will go after wimbley or Winston in free agency?

10. By gary on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

The Cards better hurry and sign Eric Winston before someone else does. There’s our new RT there for the taking.

11. By AZbelgium on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

- Darren

I have a SERIOUS question regarding Cap space etc… According to ->

The Cards could carry over 7.04 million last year but only opted to carry over 2 million. Why would a team do that, isn’t it always better to carry the full amount over and be able to spend more the next year and have more room?

Please help me to understand this (if it even is true what they say). Thanks in advance

P.S. I hope they don’t get PM, just because it will cause us to spend on him and weaken the team, because we have some major needs. And instead we ca stick with our QB’s and fill the holes we have atm and possibly be a play off and SB contender.

12. By CreditCard on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

I wonder if the league, NFLPA, agents, players, coaches, management, or even the group of 32-owners have stopped and paused to think how these surreal financial numbers go over with the average fan living pay check to pay check. Total self-serving greed by all parties involved. I’m glad their solution is to raise ticket prices or advertising costs for products we buy to solve this financial dilema.

13. By josh on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

darren im hearing the cards are 16 million over cap but im having a hard time believing do you know what more realistic numbers might be

14. By Joram on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Let’s get Peyton, Peyton yahhh

15. By D on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

********************ATTENTION MR GRAVES and MR B Jr***************************

This is the Free agent to sign asap–he would put the defense in the top 5
    A Must signing…..

per Raider insider…..

“Just got off the phone with Kamerion Wimbley’s people. “As quiet as quiet can be,” I was told. It looks like the Raiders will cut the outside linebacker and he will be a free agent when the frenzy starts at 1 p.m. Tuesday.”

16. By Cactus jeff on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

The minute I heard Andre Roberts came to meet Peyton that told me they were at an impasse. Peyton wanted more talent at the WR position and the Cardinals disagreed. I think they are in denial over the importance of a #2WR.

17. By Thomas77 on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

I think we’re losing ground on Peyton Manning.

Bright side is. Eric Winston was let go by the Texans. I guess he’s best in a Zone Blocking scheme and plays the Right side, but I’d still think the Cardinals could be very interested in him. Although, I am looking for your thoughts on him as well Darren.

18. By Eazy E on Mar 12, 2012 | Reply

Get Peyton done!

19. By Matt on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,

In a complete change of pace, I hear Larry Fitzgerald will be coming to Australia some time soon. Can you confirm/deny?

Thanks.

20. By cardsalltheway on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Looks like Kevin Kolb will be receiving that as part of his overpayment.

21. By maham on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I heard a report that Levi was released already today. Is that true?

22. By greg phibbs on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Take a look at the top two offenders. Jones and Snyder. I am shocked they weren’t just told to play nice from now on. But knowing them, I’m sure they will find another rule to cheat.

23. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: other targets

Specific names? No. And some may be determined by what Manning does.

24. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Shaun Church —

RE: Fitz contract

The info I have, which is from a while ago, had his cap number at $14.5M for 2012. It was never over $20M.

25. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Cap/expendable

Sorry I was too colloquial for you. Yes. Cap must be in order by 1 p.m. today Az time.

Given those two, I would think the Cards would want Marshall back before Doucet.

26. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

earlbb —

RE: Manning chances

Until he chooses elsewhere, I think they have a chance. What are the percentages? No idea.

27. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Kyle —

RE: Wimbley/Winston

Wimbley isn’t even free yet. Both names sound like fits, but we will see what they have to spend.

28. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

AzBelgium —

RE: Cap space

I don’t know exactly what was carried over or why. I haven’t had a chance to ask about that.

29. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Josh —

RE: Cap overage

NFL.com reported Cards were $13.7M over as of last night.

30. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Thomas77 —

RE: Winston

They need a right tackle. Makes sense.

31. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Matt —

RE: Fitz on the move

That was the report the other day. I haven’t talked to him lately, though.

32. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Maham —

RE: Levi Brown

As of 11:40 a.m. Tuesday, Levi has not been released.

33. By firemagoo on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Darren hopefully u can answer this. Cards high enough on bridges ar R guard to be content with him srarting? And can’t Bridges play RT say if we draft Decastro? I could easily see making room for Reggie Wayne as a 2 and he obviously goes outside. Andre as a slot? Was he in the slot a lot last year?

34. By in fitz we trust on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

i wonder what patrick peterson thinks about having to cover randy moss twice this year. gonna be good to see lol

35. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

firemagoo —

RE: Bridges

I like Jeremy and he’s a good player to have. But there is a reason he hasn’t consistently been in the starting lineup. As for Wayne, I still see that as a longshot here.

36. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

firemagoo —

RE: Bridges

37. By Jzoully on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

One thing that I want to know is Darren, is there any scheduled visits for an offensive lineman?

38. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Jzoully —

RE: OL

Not that I have heard.

39. By D on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

I wonder if the Bengals would give up a 3rd round pick for Beanie?

40. By Javi on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

hey darren when do you expect the cardinals to make some makor moves> today perhaps?

41. By Thomas77 on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Okay, so now that FA has been open for 3 hours. Have the Cards even expressed any kind of interest in Eric Winston? Cause it sounds like he’s talking with the Dolpins….

42. By KurtM on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

D… your on some good dope, why in the heck would we get rid of Beanie

43. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Javi —

RE: Major moves

They already cut Levi. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Cardinals-Release-Levi-Brown/f9cdf892-afa0-4215-9ecb-fa3aa8f74256

44. By Darren Urban on Mar 13, 2012 | Reply

Thomas77 —

RE: Winston

Have not heard anything.

45. By ShaunMChurch_BR on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I wonder why different sources would have different numbers? I figured Spotrac was trusted, but perhaps not. Here is that number again. I said they lowered his cap hit; well, they performed “site maintenance” for about 24 hours and now it’s back up over $20 mil:

Can we get an official confirmation from someone on this?

46. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Shaun —

RE: Fitz cap

Fitz’s cap # is $14.5M this season.