Three offensive linemen visiting UPDATE

Posted by Darren Urban on March 14, 2012 – 8:43 am

The Cardinals will have three offensive linemen visiting today for free agency: The aforementioned Jake Scott, a guard from the Titans (who used to play with the Colts and Peyton Manning), tackle Demetrius Bell of Buffalo and 49ers tackle/guard Adam Snyder. It’s not a big surprise, since the Cards have wanted to work on upgrading/overhauling the offensive line. They need to find tackles in particular with the future of Levi Brown and Brandon Keith very much in doubt since both are free agents themselves.

I’m sure it’s the first step in another day of watching and waiting.

UPDATE: And here this afternoon, Snyder signs a five-year deal for the Cards’ first free agent of the season.

Tags: , , , , ,

82 Responses to “Three offensive linemen visiting UPDATE”

1. By Rugbymuffin on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

WOW!

I am happily surprised by these moves to bring in these players. Very surprised.

I think D.Bell is worth the risk, and Snyder is one of those players who will thrive in our system.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

2. By Paul H. on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

You have to wonder at what point does the Cards pride kick in. I would love to have PM but this is starting to turn into a circus minus the clowns. Or maybe with clowns if you count the Denver Post. Anyway I have to give it up to Kolb. He hasn’t made a peep out of this. The other NFC west teams are going full steam on FA while we wait. It’s a bold move but if it was me, I would put a time on needing a decision of say noon Thursday or we will have to move on. I just feel that PM is playing with the emotions of fans of the competing teams for him. We need an end game.

3. By Thomas77 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Great news!

Jake Scott would be a great pick up, if we can get him!

Bell would be good as well, if he can stay healthy.

Don’t know much about Snyder….

4. By Aaron on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

How realistic is it for the Cardinals to sign all three offensive that visit today ?? and if they cant sign all three of them then which which one would it be ? I think Demetrius Bell would be a great fit for the team !!

5. By VonKromDom on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

If they end up signing a couple of these guys do you think it is still “highly likely” that they draft OL in the first round, or go a different route, say a pass rushing LB? I know it’s still early, but would like to know your thoughts.
    Thanks

6. By arizonahusker on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

All three sound good. Bell could start at the LT and Snyder at RT.

Go GET MANNING !!!!

Thanks

7. By D on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

If the Cards want to sign one or more of these guys, are we to expect a cut or two will be made, or has their been some restructures that we don’t know about?
    Marshall is in Miami today, hopefully he gives the Cards a chance to match any offer

8. By YmmyYames on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Very excited about this list of visitors. I’ve been saying for the past month that Snyder would be a great addition. I have been hoping they would look at Winston too. But this list is impressive for the price range they are in. Good job, Graves/Whisenhunt!

9. By cards2012 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

the cardinals need three offensive lineman and we need to draft dre kirkpatrick from alabama and sign a couple of wr

10. By cards2012 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

and we striaght with the all american from alabama so vicious and pp on the other side shutdown corners for years to come

11. By Phoenixraven1 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Let’s go Cards!

12. By brewski dude on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Demetrius Bell… Cards need a tackle with heart…

13. By SSG Tim Roberts on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Now thats good to hear. We beef up that “O-Line” and we can give whoever our QB is gonna be some time to throw the ball. Maybe even get that Peyton guy to reconsider or whatever he’s gonna do!

14. By CDJ on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

i hope we can sign bell hes reasonably young at 27 maybe get a line that can spend a few years a gel together hopefully, probably wont happen though

15. By UK CARD on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren

I know I’ll get ripped for this but!!!

Any chance we break the bank and pursue a un-happy Drew Brees?????? Sounds like we are slipping out of the Manning sweepstakes, and with the bounty deal, and contract breakdown, he sounded really fed up on Mike & Mike!! No fan we argue paying Brees!!

16. By Chris Hughes on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

NICE!

17. By Chuck on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

If we can sign all three this should beef up our line for PM!

18. By nw fan in wa on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Since offensive linemen don’t typically sell a lot of jerseys… any insight as to the skill level of Bell or Snyder? Also, I thought they were set at guard? Just looking for depth?

19. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Aaron —

RE: Signing

I would doubt all three would sign. And I’m not sure it would be today.

20. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

VonKrom —

RE: OL in draft

I don’t think they’d pass up on a good OL at 13 if that’s how they had it rated, even if they sign a couple guys. But they certainly wouldn’t have to reach for one there in that case either.

21. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

D —

RE: Roster moves

I don’t know if there have been any restructures. I would expect cuts, yes.

22. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

UK Card —

RE: Brees

He is not available. He was franchised, and he’s not even available for 2 first-round picks because the Saints used the “exclusive” tag on him.

23. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

NW Fan —

RE: Guard

They want to upgrade at right guard. Snyder and Scott probable guards. Bell would play tackle. He is young with upside, but somewhat unproven.

24. By Wampag on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

oh man c’mon D tell us something anything

25. By carlo italy 7000 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

darren

the only arizona player who recently received interest from another team is marshall..i guess he will look for a deal close to what eric wright got..too much for keeping him..without marshall you think they will be fine with what they have and they will try to sign someone or drafting a cb ???

26. By D on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

With Gaither resigning in SD,–options are limited– I think it should be between Bell and L. Brown for the Left tackle spot, don’t let Bell leave if you want him. Synder would be a good pickup because he can play both G and T. Then your first round pick at 13 pick would either be the best pass rusher available or Martin to play Right tackle. Robinson would be a nice WR signing, but his price tage maybe too high.

27. By BleedCardsRED on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

I love the idea of bringing one or even two of these guys to are team. It is definitely an upgrade! Great time too, since our unproven secret weapon, Ryan Williams will need the help so he can start running circles around guys. Remember, you heard it frist from me, this kid is sick and if he is fully recovered, just wait until you see what he can do!

28. By fred on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

I am so happy thay are going for linemen we are going to need them no mater who Q B is GOOD BY LEVI

29. By Stephn Baldetti on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Darren any word on the possible addition of Mario Manningham? or is anyone looking at him?

30. By chris on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Darren, Repots through other news sources indicate that Manning has narrowed it down to two teams, Ten and Den. Has his representatives notified the Cardinals or are we in the dark?

31. By Daniel Carr on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

I’d take any one of them over Levi Brown

32. By cobra on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

@ Paul H.- nice comment, I totally agree. So much for PM signing asap to help his new team with FA. This is turning into a Brett Favre saga. Time to move on.

Another thing, I hope we do well enough with the OL through FA to use our #1 pick for the best athlete. Not OL. Can you say Levi Brown?

33. By Andy K on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Are the Cardinals planning to resign Jay Feely, Richard Bartel, Dave Zastudil, Early Doucet, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Levi Brown, Greg Toler, and Richard Marshall?

34. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Wampag —

RE: “Anything”

Nothing to tell at 1 p.m.-ish on Wednesday. Can’t make stuff up.

35. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Marshall

Ask me again when he actually leaves. Not sure yet that’s going to happen.

36. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Stephen —

RE: Manningham

A few teams are reportedly in on Manningham. Cards aren’t one of them.

37. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Manning choice

My belief is that his representatives haven’t notified anyone yet.

38. By tomanycards on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Sounds to me like to titans owner wants manning than the coaches. Miami needs him more but have done every thing wrong in order to get big name personnel. Cardinals want him but don’t necessarily need him and the broncos want him to replace tebow so there fans don’t eat them alive. What do you think?

39. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Andy K —

RE: Re-signing

Hyphen, Bartel and Toler already have tender offers. They will be back. I expect Feely back. I think they will try for the others.

40. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

tomany —

RE: What I think on Manning

Nothing’s changed for me: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2012/03/13/as-free-agency-begins-bring-the-brown-paper-bag/

41. By mark on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

C’mon Cardinal’s And Peyton Manning!! Pace It Up More Can’t Afford Just to sit here like sitting ducks.

42. By D on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Perfect outcome:
    Sign Bell for Left Tackle (and hope he stays healthy)
    ReSign L. Brown for Right Tackle
    Sign Jake Scott for Right G
    Sign L. Robinson WR
    Kolb improves with offseason work for starter in 2012
    Resign R. Marshall
    Restructure Fitz and complete Campbell deal
    Cut Bradley and Rhodes
    Draft either OLB M. Ingram, or OLB C. Upshaw or MLB L Kuechly

43. By AZ Cardinals Rock on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

If they get one or even two solid vets in free agency they can go rush olb in round one, I would still love to see Potter from Boise st and Adcock from Okla. St. both be picked up in say round four and five, and then just pick up back up second string safety and corner from there. What do you think Darren??

44. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Az Cards Rock —

RE: Plan

Seems fine. Depends on what I pick up in FA however.

45. By smack28 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Surprise, surprise, this group signs another natural Guard in Snyder. I am ok with it, but you would think the priority would be to sign a true OT not a Guard that can play OT. If you ask me, a versatile OL that plays all positions is a player that doesn’t play any one position extremely well. WE NEED OFFENSIVE TACKLES – NOT GUARDS!!!

46. By Jeff on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

I would say release Kolb, upgrade our offensive line, add a better WR to help Fitz get open more, Manning/Skelton as starting QB :)

47. By Ronnie on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

I believe this is a great move by the cards I think if we pick up two of these linemen we should go for WR Floyd out of Norte dame with are first pick he would be a great wide out to take pressure off fitz

48. By Beta on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Darren

Any word on the Cardiansl looking after another reciever since Robinson is off the board? We all know the Cardinals like ex-Steelers, could there be a possibility of Ward? Is there any news of the Cardinals resinging Campbell or Doucet?

49. By Andy K on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Sign Robert Meachem, Ben Grubbs, Peyton Manning,

Resign Levi Brown, LaRod Stephens-Howling, Early Doucet, Jay Feely, Dave Zastudil

50. By mark on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

That’s More Like It Now lets get Demetrius Bell. Do You think h

51. By azfancolo on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Nice sign on Synder, I just hope the Cards keep on keeping on and resign those tenders so we can keep the chemistry together. Also fish around the league for more FA.

52. By azfancolo on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Darren, thanks for the updates! Just by chance have you heard anything if the Cards have offered or talk to Eddie Royal? I know that he was talking to the Redskins but nothing signed. Thanks again

53. By Dustin on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Not a flashy signing, but definately makes the O-line better. Maybe if Kolb had a little time in the pocket, the Cards wouldn’t need Manning. I’m not comparing the 2, but at times last season it was almost unfair the way Kolb was being abused. Wells AND Williams in the backfield should be something to watch too, if they get the odd lane to bust through. And Mr. Horton, if you can keep that defense rolling the way it was the 2nd half of last season, 2012 will be a whole lot rosier for Cardinal fans.

54. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Beta —

RE: WR

Ward isn’t coming here, but yes, I expect a receiver in some way, shape or form. And I promise to have news if there is news.

55. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

azfancolo —

RE: Royal

Don’t see it. Seems like a mirror of Andre Roberts.

56. By azfancolo on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Good point Darren, thanks

57. By CardsLuv4rmNZ on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Syder was a good signing but that’s it. The problem we have with our O-line only happened because they decided to punish Deuce for being 25 pounds over his normal playing weight which quickly took care of but was never let back in. He is one of the better gaurds we have and we only let in all these sacks when the old firm of O line was distrupted…….why would you try fix something when it aint broke? and they broken it but are too damn blind or proud to admit it and go back to it….these moves are really testing my patiance as a die hard cards fan!!!

58. By Seth on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

PLEASE PLEASE do not resign LEVI BROWN

59. By John the Draft Guy on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

I haven’t been on much lately, got a few things to say.

FA signings;

Last years winner in Free Agency was hands down – Eagles, so much so, they were deemed the Dream Team.

Last Years loser in Free Agency – NY Giants – They did nothing and early on, fans were calling for Coughlin’s head.

How did that all work out?

Cards are doing it right. Don’t over pay, add lineman to fill holes. Enter the draft with flexability. Like what they are doing.

Of course, the only thing going against this is signing Manning. I believe if you dont have a QB, it is tough to compete.
    I would release Kolb either way. Yes, it’s only a small savings this year, but much more next year. Plus, I think his concussion lingered for a long time-reports say a month after the season. Too much money to risk.

With that being said, Skelton is risky too, for other reasons.

Remember the movie “Bull Durham” ? When Kevin Costner had the fight with the pitcher and he gave him the baseball and stepped back and said hit me with it and I’ll give you X amount of dollars. The pitcher threw the ball through the window and missed. Skelton reminds me of the pitcher. Could be great but also can’t hit a guy right in front of him. With coaching, who knows.

If Manning goes to Titans, sign Hassleback to come in to compete. Much rather have Manning. Signing Bell, Snyder, and bringing back Brown would allow the cards to grab QB Tannehill at 13. He may go #4 to Browns, but would love to see him there. If not, grab Whitney Mercilus to play OLB. I think he is a relentless pass rusher who lead the nation in sacks. Reminds me of Demarcus Ware.

Not that worried about WRs. I like Sampson and would draft another guy in the 3rd or 4th.

60. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

With the WRs disappearing in FA so fast, does the likelihood of Doucet coming back increase or decrease, Darren?

61. By Chuck 1 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Do some of the posters have Spell Check or a Dictionary?

62. By ben on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

darren i was wondering why the cards wouldnt be intrested in eric winston from the texans. wouldnt he fit the style coacn whiz is after. he started quit a few games for a good running team, and was a cap casualty. i could be wrong, but would like your opinion

63. By Stephn Baldetti on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

we are losing every shot at a big name receiver by waiting on Manning. I know he’s not on the radar but he needs to be. Sign Mario Manningham Cardinals!! We’re running low on options, don’t let him go to San Fran

64. By sport245245 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

What in the hail? A guard who could possibly play tackle? This is insanity.

65. By jasonm on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren! , On behalf of all of us Cards fans I just want to say thank you for listening to all of us talk s//.t and rant and ask about Donovan Mcnabb and whatever else you get put through by us , seriously from the bottom of our hearts thank you , GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!! 2012 is all about BiG rED!

66. By Thomas77 on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

I’m taking the silence surrounding Bell and Scott to mean that there’s no further interest between them and the Cards? Would you know about that yet?

67. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Doucet

Good question. I guess it’ll depend if the Cards get another WR in FA first.

68. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Ben –

RE: Winston

My guess would be they wouldn’t want to spend that much on a RT.

69. By Darren Urban on Mar 14, 2012 | Reply

Thomas77 –

RE: Bell/Scott

I would think Bell, as a tackle, would remain on the radar. Scott may not be after the Snyder signing.

70. By KK Fan on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

@Paul H. Kolb isn’t one to make waves. He is the ultimate team player. He may not like what is happening ( again).Owners wantinng to replace him.
    As well as a large majority of this fan base. He’s understands and accepts that it is out of his hands. Complaining about it isn’t going to do anything but make him appear in a negetive light to other teams.

Personally, I think the owners coaches and imparticular the fans here have given up way too quicly and easily on Kevin.

As Tommy Lawlor( who does articles) for the Eagles (as Darren does) here pointed out in his article for their site, regarding the free agents they picked up last season, not working out as hoped. That it isn’t as easy as fans think to have to go to a new team. Not knowing the system, your team mates (abilities, tendencies) and be expected to lead like you’ve been there your entire career.Your having to figure things out on your own. Learning on the fly and under extreme pressure. From inside (yourself) and out ( opponents).

Now just imagine how difficult that is for a QB who had NO OFF SEASON at all with his new team. And is considered the teams leader by position. Put yourself in his shoes and tell me how well you think you would have faired under those conditions.

71. By Matt in Philly on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

It’s nice to see the Cardinals working on the offensive line, but I’m a little disappointed that this was their FIRST move. I guess that this takes them out of the running for David DeCastro in the draft, who scouts are projecting as a pro bowl caliber guard, and a safer pick than, say, a Jonathon Martin. I like Snyder, but it does help my anxiety about the real areas of need: tackle, receiver, linebacking

72. By Thomas77 on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

So I’m getting close to saying that the Cards need to “cut their losses” on Manning, and just go after Eric Winston. Forget Brown. Forget Manning (who really seems to have better offers from other teams, in spite of the fact that we really don’t know what AZ offered him. Denver, Tenn, and Miami have all been pretty forthcoming with their offers, while AZ has been pretty silent, but I digress…). The Cards should join the gaggle of teams chasing down Eric Winston. Top six Offensive Tackle. He may be expensive, but without Manning and Brown, we’ll have the Cap space….

73. By CORMA on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

OUR O line is not as bad as it seems. Our quarterbacks hold on to the ball too long and cannot read the coverage quickly enough. ONE THREE , release. Not ONE THREE> ……. four….. FIVE…. sack…..They need to hit the hot routes and screens to kill those blitzes, but fail to see it coming. THEY need to mess with the defense with snap counts and audibles, but are just not to that level yet…..I DO like the addition of SNYDER. SIGN DUECE long term if you can. O line is very important, and adding depth is a great thing. Hopefully no one bites on brown, and we can get him back for what he is worth to GRAVES and WHIZ.

74. By Chopper-12 on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Reply to KK Fan…

Kevin Kolb doesn’t deserve any bonus because he didn’t play enough to warrant a 7 million dollar bonus!!! At most jobs if you missed as much time “on the job” as he did you would be terminated. He had done the same thing in Philly and we thought from the few games he played there he would come to The Toaster and get hot and stay healthy??? Great sale Andy Reid, you’re the new Whodini!!

I say we release him and sign Donovan McNabb or David Garrad for the bare minimum. Both of them want to play and have at least stayed healthy…that’s if we don’t win the PM sweepstakes.

As for the O-line I love that we’re addressing those issues because ALL qb’s need time to throw & rb’s need holes to run through. We also need a good free agent WR if there are any left out there because Early Doucett needs an early exit after that ridiculous backward somersault he pulled off in Cinnci in the last game of the season that could have sent us into the playoffs.

I’m a Cardinal fant though regardless of what they do & I LOVED watching the games when I worked for S.A.F.E. on the field. What up section 114-116…I miss The Toaster!!!

2012 Season LET’S GO!!!

-Chopper 12

75. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Chopper —

RE: QBs

Garrard missed all of last season with a back injury. That’s not quite “stayed healthy.”

As for McNabb, mentioning that name these days is going to get you banned, OK? ;)

76. By Chopper-12 on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Darren Urban –

I agree Garrard missed last season, but he chose to correct his herniated disk & has been medically cleared to play again.

Ok so I said McNabb, but aren’t we all desperate for a QB in AZ since Kurt left?? :-) We need someone who can get Larry to the H.O.F and another SB.

77. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Chopper —

RE: QBs

You’d really rather have McNabb than Kolb? Really? Have you seen McNabb, oh, the last three years?

78. By Chopper-12 on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

Honestly yes…. because of the minimum salary we could pay him which to my knowledge would be about $820k. I think he could help J-Skelt and we could use the rest of the money to aquire a few other good players.

McNabb hasn’t been his old self I admit, but at least he had been something. Remember when Kurt came from NY? They said he was washed up too and he ressurected his career again.

I just don’t think a guy who hasn’t proven his worth in the NFL as a multi-million dollar QB should be paid like one . I don’t hate Kolb (let me clear that up) I just don’t think he’s worth that 20 million or so we paid to get him from Philly.

Who do you suggest we get? Or What should we do with Kolb????

79. By Darren Urban on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Chopper —

RE: QB

It doesn’t really matter who I suggest. If Manning doesn’t come here, I expect Kolb-Skelton-Bartel in 2012. And honestly, for what was invested in Kolb, I would like to see him with an offseason and a second year in the system before he was flushed for Matt Moore or someone.

80. By Chopper-12 on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

I respect your opinion! Best thing about it all is that we both want The Cardinals to win a SB who ever is at the helm :-)!!!!

We’ll see what happens in this PM sweepstakes…???

Have a great night man!!! GO CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

81. By gary on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

i like the Snyder signing. He will be a solid guard for us. I just hope the Cards dont try and start him at tackle because he has terrible stats as a tackle.

2. Mar 25, 2012: Arizona Cardinals Free Agency: More of the Same for Cards. | :: Sparxxrx LLC ::