Liking Levi for real

Posted by Darren Urban on March 16, 2012 – 11:47 am

Levi Brown returns, and I can practically hear the grumbling.

Not from everyone – I know that – but I’ve heard from plenty throughout the process that couldn’t and never will understand why the Cardinals wanted to hang on to Brown. I get that. I really do. But the reality is that Brown a) played much better down the stretch and may have turned a corner and b) was one of the better tackles available to bring in compared to the rest of the free agents. He knows the system, he knows Russ Grimm and he knows what is expected. Sometimes, continuity matters. More reality: If his contract hadn’t been structured like it was, he would have been back no questions asked. It’s only because of that last loopy year of his rookie deal that we are even talking about this.

(UPDATE: Profootballfocus.com’s Nate Jahnke tweeted that Brown gave up a QB pressure every 8.6 pass plays in Weeks 1-10 last season and improved to one every 27.8 pass plays the final seven games. If someone is looking for tangible proof of his finish, there it is. Take it for what you deem it’s worth.)

Like Adam Snyder, Brown’s role isn’t exactly clear yet, although I feel safe in saying he will be a starting tackle. It might be the right tackle, it might be the left. That will depend on who else shows up in free agency and the draft.

It’s probably safe to say Brown isn’t going to become Jake Long or Joe Thomas. Fair enough. But for anyone wondering if there were ulterior motives for the Cards to keep Brown in the lineup because of where he was drafted, well, this was the perfect chance to move on. Yet they didn’t, instead bringing him back, and that means their faith in him wasn’t just talk.

Tags:

93 Responses to “Liking Levi for real”

1. By Andy K on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Great move by the Cardinals

2. By Bryan on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Any idea of terms of the new deal? I would suspect that will give some insight to what tackle position he is expected to be at. Thanks Darren.

3. By Darren Urban on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Bryan —

RE: Terms

Nothing yet. I’m sure they will leak out there soon enough.

4. By CDJ on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

im glad hes back i know he gets a bad rap and some people call him a revolving door but who knows maybe he did turn a corner

5. By Rugbymuffin on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

At the right price, which by doing some loose math seems to be the case, it is a move I can get behind.

There is no doubt Brown is regarded as one of the worst tackles in the NFL. So, I dunno. It is nothing to get excited over past the fact our front office showed a little savy in cutting him and re-signing him to a better contract.

When it comes to a guy like Brown, I hope we have another Adrian Wilson on our hands, who took longer than most to “turn the corner”, but when he did we all saw what it produced. Maybe Brown does the same thing ?

We will see.

6. By Chris Hughes on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Great Move, and for all the haters out there. Who else were you going to sign that was better? In fact lsit 2 tackles because that’s what we need. Also Levi is a RT and will fair much better there. He is a great run blocker and he was a ok Pass blocker but if our QB’s did there job his would be easier. Plus 90% of the time Levi won his battle but all of these idiots only see that other 10% where he allowed 2 sacks here and 2 tackles for loses their. Guess what your NOT going to win every battle No lineman does. Plus there really is only 7-8 Great tackles in the league I doubt you could name 15 better tackles. Go ahead and try. Great signing Levi’sa beast just needs help from our supporting cast. Also once Sherman becomes the best blocking FB in the league he can counter the 10% Levi and the other tackle misses.

7. By SteveG on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I guess for some fans the grass is always greener, personally, I prefer the opinions of those who are paid to have opinions vs. guys who’s expertise appears to derive from their GREAT year of fantasy football back in ’08!

8. By Blistering Fury on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Glad to see him back, if for no other reasons the ones you stated Darren. No one else who is AVAILABLE who would be considered vastly superior to Levi. So tired of reading these fools comments on getting rid of Levi or KK just for the sake of it, or just trading them both for Joe Thomas or something. Who are we gonna get if we just cut Kolb? Manning is not coming here, that would have been the only reason to do it. Otherwise, again, NOBODY else is AVAILABLE who is vastly superior. I think Kolb is a considerable risk due to the concussions, but there are no other better options right now. Suck it up, pay the man, give it one more season, and at worst we revisit this next off-season. Thanks for the good work Darren, its appreciated.

9. By Chris Hughes on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Darren~ What’s the Status on Doucet ? Are we in contact with his agent even? Any interest fromother teams. Also please tell me we will finally get ride of Porter…. Waste of Money let him go and sign D bell and Hope kuelchy falls to us in the draft if not take the best Lineman out their (Decastro or Rieff, really hoping Rieff falls to 13) If we want Martin I would drop back to the 19-20 pick and get an extra 3rd rounder cause he’ll still be available then

10. By Stephen V on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I’m not sure what to make of this. I know he, like the rest of the team, took great steps forward after the bye week. I really hope he can continue to work on his play and show great effort. I think its says a lot about their organization that they not only show faith but also back it up in terms of commitment to their players. Super Bowls are never won during the OFF season anyway. Lets hope the Cardinals keep adding good solid players with great character. Best of luck to Mr. Brown and rest of the team this up coming year!

Go Big Red!

11. By ben on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

any word on demitrius bell

12. By Darren Urban on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Ben —

RE: Bell

Nothing new.

13. By Chris on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Basically i do like that move. He played better down the stretch (maybe because payday was looming?) and i always like intelligent players.

I hope they will still draft o-line in 1st round. either decastro or (if available) a GOOD left tackle, (some mock drafts see cards picking someone described like a 3rd rounder. that would be obviously worst case.)

Bring Levi back to the right and it should instantly help improving his performance.
    just hope the move came at a reasonable price.

The only thing i´m really not happy about is, that profootballfocus has ranked both moves the cards made so far at the bottom of their rankings. and i´m sure they now one thing or two about free agency and the prospects.

14. By Aaron on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

SWEET!!! I was worried he’d go somewhere else to get all of his false starts! Here’s to another flag filled season Levi!!!

15. By Paul H on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Darren, a quick side note. On the front page. I can’t go to the Roster link because the Facebook tab is in the way. No biggie, I know your kind of busy today. Keep up the great work.

16. By Blair on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Hmmm i wounder why he didnt get his fat pay day from some other team….. booooooooooo!

17. By joe67 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

StevenG
    Niclely put. Nuff said

18. By ben on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Urban, what do you think the cards focus will turn to in free agency now that neck manning is out of the question. any word on g toller, lstephens howling, and the other tendered fellas. are the cards going to sign a couple of backups for ob scho and acho

19. By Rick on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Darren – I would be curious the stats on Brown when Skelton is the QB versus when Kolb is the QB. I think Kolb’s inconsistent drop backs and happy feet created some (NOT ALL) of the issues for the O-Line. Skelton seemed to be in the same spot for every drop back where Kolb seemed to “float” on his drop backs.

Just curious if that information is available.

20. By Todd from Safford on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I’m happy to see Levi back. He is by far the best available and he will prove that. Kevin and John will be just fine also. We don’t need Peyton Manning. Him, his bother and especially his dad have ego’s that are not needed on our team. Not sure if you remember but when Eli was ready for the draft, the Cards had a high pick that year, I believe it was 3rd, Eli said there was a couple of teams he wouldn’t play for and would hold out a year and go elsewhere. One of those teams he would of refused was the Cardinals. Over the years us true Cards fans have been through enough and don’t need our hopes so high with Peyton only to see him take a hit and quit. We will win the West this year with out arrogance and blame that the Manning family would surely put on the team and organization if Peyton fails. Hats off to Michael Bidwell for doing the job I knew he would when handed the reins. The Arizona Cardinals will be a force in the desert to be reckoned with for years to come. I am proud to be an Arizona Cardinals fan.

21. By Darren Urban on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Paul H —

RE: Facebook tab

I assume you are working on mobile device? We will get that fixed.

22. By Darren Urban on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Ben —

RE: Targets

Same as I have been saying. OL, pass rusher, maybe WR.

23. By Jason on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Darrin,
    I am absolutely unimpressed with our FA moves this year. The loss of PM and the entry of the 49rs tells me the organization is subpar and still a doormat of the NFL. Levi worked hard for 4months because he knew it was a contract year it seems to me. Losing Marshall not good. Hopefully we get another Peterson to make up for it in the draft. Or some pass rush…The PM loss took the wind out of alot of fans sails …

24. By Darren Urban on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Rick —

RE: Brown stats

I don’t have that, but the folks at @profootbalfocus might.

25. By Kurt on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Great move, Levi is a true Pro with the right attitude.
    Russ and Wiz are right on the mark

26. By tom on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

well we are out of the manning running which is a joke and was a huge tease. im so pissed right now its not even funny. its our terrible o line! it must be! why else wouldnt manning want to play with fitz and whiz in a dome with an emerging defense! titans and broncos dont have that! what a joke. but at least we get levi back and a disgruntled kolb…. not to mention to top it off niners are now in the manning hunt! hey maybe the rest of my nightmare can come true and we sign alex smith and my newly born son will grow up and tell me hes a niner fan. what a great F!@#$%^ day to be a cards fan!

27. By brad oneill on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I dont think Levi just decided to kick it in gear over his contract year. I think this move may finally alleviate some of the pressure on the guy and he just may relax and fall into his role and continue his success from the last half of last year. I have been hard on him in the past but I was happy to see him finally flourish after years of struggling. Being a high first rounder is a tough gig. now maybe he wont be competing with that salary and its corresponding expectations wrapped around his ankle and slowing him down.

28. By John S on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Black Friday for the Cardinals fans. This team is a joke and I don’t even know why i bother to follow them. Why is everything this team does “lets just make best with what we got”. Sorry that’s not cutting it and never will.

29. By Stop making excuses on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Even as the worst tackle in The NFL he must be glad to know that he wont have to do anything but eat burgers for the next five years. Ken Whisenhunt cant draft for &*^% and this was one of his mighty picks. Thanks Cardinals I know its too much to ask for a good line. No wonder Manning doesnt want to come here!!!!!!

30. By D on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Darren:
    Your mission:
    I have a coupon from Subway, all yours if you can find out the cap number
    from Mr. Graves. (will get you a footlong to share with him)

(this number is more guarded than PM’s decision)

Would be nice to see what they have left to see if we are all just dreaming of some of these good players still availabe on the market.

this message will self destruct after you read it.

31. By johnnybluenose on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

hey levi brown! i’m glad you’re back and hopefully for all five years.

32. By Andy K on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Who cares about Peyton Manning? Whether Peyton has the cards still in his mind or not, we still got 2 amazing quarterbacks with an okay 3rd QB(Richard Bartel if he signs tender offer). Peyton should join the Tennessee Titians. Peyton missed out on his chance to join a team with a great Wide Receiver and a decent o-line. None of the teams that are left in his mind(TENN, DENV, SF) don’t have great explosive wide receivers. Peyton will not be able to take any team to the playoffs with the weapons on those teams.

33. By grabling on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Bye Manning!!! welcome another mediocre season with Kolb!

another foot injury = 5 games
    another concusion = 6 games

record: 1 win, 4 losses, 11 games out of action!

have a nice day!

34. By Andy K on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Is it possible to sign Donovan McNabb as a 3rd or 4th string QB?
    Right now I just hope Skelton will be the starter, Kolb be the backup, and I hope RIchard Bartel will resign with the Cards. Since Donovan McNabb doesn’t seem to be interesting to any team, why can’t we sign him to a tender offer?

35. By Andy K on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

And Darren. could you update this page that you haven’t updated for a while.

36. By Chuck 1 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

It’s 2:42 PM, Phoenix time.
    Do you know where Kevin Kolb is???

37. By Javi on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

hey darren, with the signing of levi, the cards will probably move him to the right tackle position……..do you believe perhaps demetrius bell is an option this late for the cards to sign?

38. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

He will make a decent backup when we draft somebody to replace him.

39. By Brian on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

More than anything, I applaud this move because of the flexibility it gives us in the draft. We needed tackles on the roster (no matter how talented they are), so we didn’t HAVE to take a tackle in the first round, like we had to do with Levi back in 2007. Now, if a talented tackle is there at 13, we can grab him. Otherwise, we can take the best available talent (OLB, WR, etc.) and know that we at least have an experienced starter in place.

40. By AZLOGAN05 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I know this is way off topic but I just saw the Raiders cut Kameron Wimbley. Do you think the Cards will have any interest there? Especially now with Manning out of the picture.
    Thanks!
    AZLogan

41. By Blistering Fury on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

John S – Other than Manning, what are you referring to about today? I would have liked Manning too, but its HIS decision, not the Cardinals. They brought him in and gave a pitch, if he decides to go elsewhere, what do you want? Otherwise, again, who is out there and AVAILABLE that YOU want who is SO MUCH BETTER than who we currently have? Names….give us all names. So easy to be a GM with money that’s not your own.

42. By Frustrated on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

No offense it also tells you how much demand there was for his skill set. I am not against Levi, but I hope that his play continues to reflect the level of the end of this past year.

43. By John S on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Lol @AndyK.. apparently you watched a different team last year then I did. Amazing QB’s and a decent line? Hahahaha… I will say, I think the coaching staff on this team is as delusional as you. Can anyone imagine if the Cardinals went 13-3 last year them bringing in Manning to “work out”? What a joke. The teams missing link IS the QB and they still didn’t even do that. They entertained a simple visit and most likely told him let us know quickly we have another QB we promised to pay. That mentality difference alone is the reason the Cards will not be finishing on top of the 49ers anytime soon.

44. By Flood on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for knowing nothing. He’s drafted Sam Acho, O’Brien Schofield, Patrick Peterson, Steve Breaston, Dan Williams, David Carter, Calius Campbell, Greg Toler, Beanie Wells, Anthony Sherman, Tim Hightower, D-Wash, and John Skelton. Yep, he sure sucks at this. Dang, these people are never happy. People only hate Levi because Adrian Peterson was on the board. I get it, move on.

45. By Peter in Canada on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Chris Hughes –
    I totally agree with your assessment of Levi. I always thought he was unfairly dumped on. I think the Cards did him no favours by switching him to LT in order to accommodate Keith who really hasn’t shown anything. Tackle is a tough enough position to play without having to switch sides. I prefer to believe, as do the coaching staff, that he turned a corner last year and we can expect good things for the next five years.

46. By Darren Urban on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Andy K —

RE: Roster chart

That’s a one time chart. I don’t constantly update it.

47. By Darren Urban on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Javi —

RE: Levi’s side

Not sure what this means.

48. By Darren Urban on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Azlogan —

RE: Wimbley

I could see them having interest. Depends on price.

49. By AZ Cardinals Rock on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

REALLY, Really??? Levi only played better the last part of the season because the other players on the line had time to adjust to the fact that he is a swinging door and they learned how to cover for him. I know it takes time for 5 allstar linemen to learn how to work together as a unit, I get that, but I hope this doesn’t mean we are not going ofter Potter from Boise st. or Adcock from Okla. st. and use Levi as a back up. We could really make a statement with Decastro and either of the forementioned tackles along with Snyder and our other linemen. We still need a few pieces: guard/tackle, w/r, rush olb, c/b safety and ilb to pair with Washington. Lets go cards, put some fear in the rest of the west.

50. By Judy on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

We need to get C.Campbell signed long term now,then we can turn him,and D.Dockett loose on Peyton.He is our enemy now.Give A-Dub a chance at him too.Go BigRed.

51. By Judy on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I am happy to see that Levi is back with us.

52. By AZ Cardinals Rock on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

AMEN brother, I agree totally, deacent back up but lousy starter, idon’t care which side he is on.

53. By Mr.Ramirez on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Good call. Now draft Jonathan Martin and we got a decent line.

54. By Eazy E on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

We should have started anew on both tackle positions. Levi is a bust and he ain’t turned no corner. They thought he turned the corner back in 09 when he was at least a damn pro bowl alternate.

55. By Mike on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Although I’m not a huge fan of brown at all, the fa list was slim…brown isn’t the solution, and they still need to look to the draft…

56. By Adam on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Whether he lived up to the hype or not, I’ll take a guy who tries his best to show genuine improvement any day. Plus, he was an underrated part of the team’s greatest successes.

57. By blake on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I for one have bashed Levi in the past AND did give up on the team early last year ( i admit it but after 41 years of following there comes a time ) but they DID turn it around and played good exciting football in the last half of the year and that’s what it is about , EXCITING football. I am glad Levi was resigned as it gives our O Line some continuity. now i hope we can resign Duece and he can get his weight under control and get in a fight to get his starting job back ( probably wishful thinking ) as i like his intensity and then we go get a good OL in the draft, i think with all of that the team would have a pretty decent OL Peyton Manning BLAH ! yeah it would have been nice But even he would have a bit of a learning curve coming to a new team and our guys would have to gel with him ( probably not too much of a problem ) but I think with both Kevin and John having a FULL year in the system it is going to show i also think with Kevin and John we have two pretty decent Quarterbacks that we will win with ( i do think John is the real deal ) GOD i am getting excited for next year.
    BTW whoever gets Peyton is going to go undefeated and win the Superbowl , they will undoubtedly be the next DREAM TEAM . just ask the Philadelphia Eagles about that and how their season turned out last year :)
    Also the 49ers ? come on, everybody with the exception of Cardinal fans must have a short memory with how we took it to them in the final meeting last year, if they have SUCH an awesome defense WHY did our ( supposedly ) second string quarterback beat them ? ( i know our defense had a lot to do with it but points DO need to be scored ) they are OVER HYPED !!!
    CANNOT WAIT to Play them this year and i do hope they sign Peyton that will make it so much sweeter :)

58. By fred on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

brown suck at right tackle remember? even worse at left tackle . he got better the last seven games because he wanted a contract somewhere? The rest of the time he was lazy . do you think his mindset has changed is he going to work harder?

59. By cards62 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

I just can not understand all this love for Levi Brown.
    What is next you want to give Russ Grimm a million dollar bonus.
    I do not hate Levi Brown and would love for us to try him at guard.
    I hope the price is right.

Cardinal fans all I know is that our offensive line is very poor and has been very poor ever since I can remember.

I just want them to be better in 2012 so our QBs can play better and we can run the ball to take pressure off of our QBs.

Go Cards!

60. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Cards fans knew that FA would be fairly quiet and the Manning situation threw things a little askewed.
    “We don’t expect we will be as aggressive as last year because we don’t have quite as many holes to fill, but I also suspect we won’t have the salary cap room advantages as last season so there will be restrictions on what we can do,” Graves said.
    But that being said, OL, 2nd WR and OLB were the key needs in the offseason and I don’t see re-signing Brown and getting Synder as an improvement nor do I see getting all three wants being fulfilled in the draft.
    Lots more work to do.

61. By D-Dubya on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@Darren

Is or was Eric Winston a possibility? What about Gallery? Are we gonna see a little more aggressiveness from the Cards in Free Agency now that we are out of the Manning race? I seems to me that the Cards do this every year, say they are looking to improve positions but it ends up being with more mediocrity. Bringing Levi Brown back is okay if he is strictly playing on the right side but it isn’t necessarily screaming improvement. Snyder is a better option at RG than we’ve had but not what I would call stellar. We still need a solid OT, OLB as well as depth at NT, FS, SS and another run stuffer at ILB to go with Washington. Also is there a possibilty that we could deal Dockett to try to get back in the 2nd round? Don’t get me wrong, I love Dockett but think he would be better fit in 4-3.

62. By @bobstroup on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

@Flood #cosign

63. By Bryth on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

If Levi has turned a corner, our Oline will be well on the way to giving our QBs time to get that ball out and get us TDs. I love the stats for the last 7 games, the first 9 games are quite awful though. Here’s hoping he can fully turn that corner and be the 1st round pick he was meant to be. #cardnation

64. By CZarr on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Another snip it from Profootballfocus.com:

“Levi Brown to ARZ: Not content with signing Adam Snyder the Cardinals decided to try and form one of the potentially worst right sides of the OL in living memory with re-signing Levi Brown.”

You can’t turn corners when you’re driving in a circle ^_~

I will poop a chicken, which will then in turn, poop another chicken, which will then serve us a nice steak and pinot noir dinner if Levi Brown maintains a positive PFF ranking over the next year.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope he does, ohhhhh how I hope he does…

65. By Chris on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Peter in Canada, We are on the same page buddy it’s a huge change but those who don’t fully understand the game just don’t get it. It’s fun to always read through the comments and see who just repeats whats on tv and who actually knows what there talking about like you and me. Here’s to hopefully a great year I am getting excited about our Line it’s looking like the best one we’ve had in a while (assuming we get D bell or draft another lineman with the 13 pick). If Williams stays healthy I can see us having something like what Carolina had with D williams and J stewart and if Beanie and Williams can get our running game going it will just open the passing attack watch out then!

66. By Darren Urban on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

D-dubya –

RE: questions

1. Doubt they will chase Winston. Gallery is a guard and they don’t need another one.
    2. They are not going to chase a ton of free agents. Not where theyvare on the cap.
    3. Dockett isn’t going anywhere.

67. By biglee on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Now levi has the trust in the cards to be able to succeed

68. By Bryth on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

-Darren

I noticed when looking over the roster that it doesnt say whether a player is left or right Tackle and the same goes with Guards and Defensive Ends. Could whoever does the roster possibly do LG, RG, LT, RT and LE, RE. Just curious.

69. By sport245245 on Mar 16, 2012 | Reply

Darren: I am not on a mobile device and that facebook tab is a pain and is in the way. Have to scroll way up to activate video and other things. Don’t know why it’s there. I clicked on it thinking it would go away, but no way.

70. By CORMAC on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

GLAD WE HAVE BROWN BACK!!!! What some of these ” dummies” dont understand, is that Brown plays on the left, and faces some of the “BEST” defensive pass rushers in the game. WHY IS THIS? Because he is good, THATS why he is on the LEFT side. Some speculate that he wants to be back on the right side, but no… They are wrong. He has spoken out publicly that he likes the left. Brown is up to the challenge. O line never gets the glory, just the blame. Its up to our QBs to hit the hot routes and quick passes before they get sacked. Alot of the stats for O line, have to do with a quick thinking QB. Our Quarterbacks will get better, and so will the Oline stats, mark my words…..

71. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Bryth –

RE: moving sides

In theory, yes. But it depends on the player with how effective they can be.

72. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

As far as the link for the Evan Mathis yearning to play at home, it could be this:
    But unless he’s willing to take a huge hometown discount (more than likely not) Cardinals have bigger fish to fry.

73. By duecer54 on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

All you guys that are giving love to our o-line, haven’t been watching the same games as I have!! They are one of the worst in the league and have been for quite a while. Cards front office is really trying to fix that. NOT! We don’t draft o-line becuz Russ Grimm is such a great line coach. When is the last lineman we’ve drafted or picked up made an impact? You’re right NONE. Remember when Grimm was a hot head coach candidate? How about now? NONE. This guy is overrated.jmo

74. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Mathis

I would agree.

75. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

My comment about Mathis was supossed to be on the other blog. My unawareness; ever done that Darren?
    Any rumors about Doucet, Lutui or Keith you’re wiliing to send out?

76. By Bryth on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

- Darren

I meant on the actual roster posted on this site with everyones number, position, height, etc. lol. So instead of a “T” beside Levi Brown, it would be “LT”. For Daryn College instead of just “G” it would be “RG”(i think) Calais Campbell would be “RE” instead of “DE” Just so people know what side they play on (cause I dont even know if Jeremy Bridges was a left or right tackle) Sorry I wasnt more clear about that, lol.

77. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: rumors

Haven’t heard anything of any of those guys.

78. By Darren Urban on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Bryth –

RE: roster positions

The problem with that is you have Bridges, for instance, who plays both. Just too bulky. That’s what the depth chart is for (and yes I know there is no depth chart right now; it’s disabled in the offseason when there isn’t one.)

79. By Bryth on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for explaining Darren :)

80. By CreditCard on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

I like the rown move, and ask yourself who is the better employee — Brown or Kolb. One guy plays and multiple positions for multiple inept QBs while the other notiably is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over-paid. I don’t see Kolb coming in and re-notiating his contract so that his team will be competitive. The coaches know what they are doing, and they want to win as much if not much more than the fans. If I got to play GM for a day, I would have a heart to heart meeting with Kolb and ask him, if he thinks his contract is fair for both parties.

81. By George on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

I do not hate Levi Brown. As a fan of the Cardinals, I want all the players and the team as a whole to do well. My frustration with Brown is his performance on the field. Up to now, he has not performed as a pro bowl caliber player. When you are drafted as the fifth overall player in your draft, that is the expectation. Fair or unfair, that is the reality. It is not his fault that the Cardinals reached when they made the selection. They wanted Joe Thomas and when he was picked by the Browns, I think the Cardinals brain trust made a panic move. Or, they thought Russ Grimm could coach him up. He says he wants to stay at left tackle. Well, he needs to start dominating the man in front of him. As a fan, I hope he has turned the corner. We will see.

82. By Thomas77 on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

So I’m gonna do something I don’t do very often, especially on open forums like this. I’m gonna gripe about the Cardinals. I can’t believe they didn’t even make a play for Eric Winston. He said he was looking for top five money with a winning team, and he wound up signing a 4 year deal worth $22 million, with the Chiefs. I mean seriously, the Cards could have at least tried to talk to this guy. This would have been an obvious upgrade! Instead, we turn back to Levi Brown, like a dog returns to its vomit. Signing Snyder wasn’t the worst thing, but again it seems like we’re playing for mediocrity. I’m sure Graves, Bidwill, and Whiz all have their prices set for how much they feel a O-Lineman is worth. But maybe that’s where our problem with this line is. We’re getting what we pay for….

Sorry Darren, I’m sure us lazy-boy coaches get a bit irritating….

83. By Thomas77 on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Sorry, I gotta take that back. The Cards did go after Manning — I wouldn’t say that’s a play at mediocrity. We were just outmaneuvered by the 9ers.

84. By CORMAC on Mar 17, 2012 | Reply

Ya jump on Mathis, jeez!!! How much is that guy asking for?

85. By Chris on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

ESPN’s Matt Williamson labeled AZ’s current OL one of the worst in league

86. By duecer54 on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

Nice PR move by the Cards front office on the Manning “interest”. As soon as he saw oiur o-line situation and our salary cap space, it was over. Jmo, but I don’t think there ever was a serious chance of us getting Manning!

87. By D-Dubya on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

-Darren
    Do you think that there is a strong possibility we could trade down in the first round to pick up a 2nd rnd pick? I looked at the trade value chart and realized if they traded down with Cincinnati (21st pick) or later it would equal there 1st and 2nd. I’m only asking because there is a HUGE gap between there 1st rnd and 3rd rnd picks. I Could also say that if they were to do so then they would most likely still be able to pick a quality OT in 1st rnd like Cordy Glenn (Georgia), Mike Adams (Ohio State) or Jonathan Martin (Stanford) seeing as they are slipping due to free agency signings and the massive trade between Skins and Rams. I just hope they don’t reach and then be out of a solid player like they did for Levi Brown. I guess I would just like to see them make better decisions.

88. By Darren Urban on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

D-dubya –

RE: trade down

Anything is possible. But someone would have to want to trade up.

89. By earlbb88cards on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

49ers get PM cards are never getting to the playoffs, we gotta get dynamic on offense to compeat and Andrea Roberts and Duecet is not gonna cut it, we need vets at WR we got enough youngsters, bring in Lee Evans and Plaxico Buress and at least we add an eliment of jump ball redzone on both sides of the field, you gotta be kiddin this managment and coaches think this team is ok,they smoking something.

90. By mike on Mar 18, 2012 | Reply

safe to say all cardinals fans r Really dissapointed with our free agency plan!!!!!! no wide receivers really?

91. By AZ Cardinals Rock on Mar 20, 2012 | Reply

I get bringing Brown back at a reduced rate for depth on the line, but, a one year contract for 3-5 million keeps him motivated to play hard every down. Iam afraid he only got better later on due to he was aware his performance was so sub-par he would get cut and thats what happened. Really would like to get Potter in round three or Adcock in fourth,(both would be AWESOME) and go ahead and get the rush lb in the first round just not Coples as he is not motivated to play every down.

92. By Barry Bond on Mar 22, 2012 | Reply

In pursuit of Manning, the Cardinals were going to release Levi Brown to build up some cap money just in case, huh? Why did they resign Brown? I read on NFL network last season Levi allowed 11 1/2 sacks, the 3rd MOST in the NFL last season, lo! Whoa, whoa, who wants Brown back? And we could of had 17 million more for cap money? Sounds to me Levi Brown is going to be a pain in the ass again for the Cardinals if he is to protect our quarterback?????

93. By William Barry on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Darren–bringing back Levi, helps with continuity. Its all about continuity, and how players jell with consistency, and hard work. This is a good move…he knows our system.