Cards’ draft picks set

Posted by Darren Urban on March 27, 2012 – 8:01 am

With the draft just about a month away, the NFL — having released compensatory picks Monday — then Tuesday released the official seven-round draft order. The Cardinals have seven picks: None in the second round (dealt away in the trade for quarterback Kevin Kolb) and two in the sixth round (an extra one coming in the trade of running back Tim Hightower to Washington for defensive end Vonnie Holliday).

The Cardinals’ picks:

• Round 1 (13th overall)
  • Round 3 (80th)
  • Round 4 (112th)
  • Round 5 (151st)
  • Round 6 (177th from Redskins)
  • Round 6 (185th)
  • Round 7 (221st)

Before anyone asks, yes, there is a chance the Cards could trade down in the first round, grab an extra pick. But someone has to want to trade up to make that happen. And to get a second-round pick back, the Cards would probably have to drop pretty far down in the first round.

Tags:

57 Responses to “Cards’ draft picks set”

1. By cards2012 on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

we need alshon to complement fitz we are beast on d fense and grab a ss like udoka from boise or hightower from bama what u think darren

2. By YmmyYames on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Dynamite drop, Darren. Correct, according to the value chart, the Cards would have to find a taker who wants to move up to 13 for the right player and the position to drop would likely be 23 or lower for an additional 2nd rounder. That would likely kill our chances of any top OT or pass rush talent.

3. By D on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Moving down is too difficult, no need to if Az signs OT D. Bell in Free agency.
    My draft for rounds 1-5

Round 1– M. Floyd WR ND
    Round 3– J. Massaquoi OLB Troy
    Round 4– T. Guyton DE
    Round 5– R. Miller OG

4. By Rob01 on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Cards pls dont trade down take Michael F

5. By CardsDraft on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I think we should try to trade down to the Brown’s 22nd pick and grab Stephen hill in the first and Mike adams in the second if he’s still around.

6. By Jeremiah on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Not too sure about Stephen Hill. Good workouts don’t necessarily mean that you will be good. I would maybe stay at 13 and get Floyd if available or if they traded down they should nab Kendall Wright if he is available.

7. By Corgon on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Do you see a healthy D. Williams, D. Carter, N. Eason all together in the rooster next year? What roles do you suspect for them?

8. By Matt in Philly on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

In my opinion, if Reiff, Ingram, or DeCastro aren’t available, the best bet is to trade down and take a WR or OLB.

9. By VonKromDom on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Can you explain the reason why the the draft positions change from round to round (i.e. 1st Rd. = 13th pick, 3rd Rd. = 18th pick, 4th RD. = 17th pick etc.). Shouldn’t the draft order just replicate the order from the first round?
    Thanks

10. By greg on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I will continue to beat this drum. I have been a cardinal fan since the 70′s growing up in St. Louis. The best line we ever had was with the air Corryel days with Dierdorf, Young and Dobler and the gang. The key to this offseason at this point is Bell. If we sign Bell then we have options. He will not give us a great line, But he will give us a decent one with options for the draft. We do not have a warner at quarterback that can make up for a sub par offensive line, we need Bell badly in my humble opinion. Then we dont have to draft a tackle first round, we can, but, another pass rusher or reciever would certainly not hurt the chances of this pretty good team taking it to the next level. I am more optimistic this off season, please sign Bell, Oh Cardinal gods help us to make the best move for us diehard fans.

11. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Corgon –

RE: DTs

Yes, I see all of them here. How they end up role-wise will depend on how camp goes.

12. By ben on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

darren
    do these CARDS fans still not realize that our team has its edge pass rushers in Schoefield and Acho. they just need to have a little faith in the Young men. they showed last year if they get the snaps they can get after it like a couple of mad men. So please quit bringing up pass rushers.
    The line is one Tackle away.
    and the entire offense is only a concussion away from finding there winning ways from the end of last season.
    CARD DIE HARD
    GO CARDS

13. By Stephn Baldetti on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Michael Floyd is the best option I believe. Our Defense is set, and our O-line will be ok if we can just plug in one more guy like D. Bell.

14. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

VonKrom –

RE: Moving draft order

When teams are tied in record, only the first round comes down to opponents win percentage. After that, the tied teams rotate spots.

15. By humble on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Any chance we go Dre Kirkpatrick?

16. By theuglitruth on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

1st: OLB Upshaw
    3rd: OT Massey, Mosley, or Schwartz
    4th: DE Jack Crawford
    5th: OT Datko, Allen, or Holmes
    6th: CB Bolden, or OLB Sammy Brown
    6th: WR Derek Moye
    7th: BPA

17. By Chris Hughes on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

YmmyYames, Right now as it is Martin, Adams and Glenn should be there at 20. The only OL going in between where we pick and 20 might be DeCastro so not sure what your reading but thats the whole reason alot of us want to drop back and gain and extra pick which doesn’t have to be a 2nd it could be an early third (second is just preferred of course lol)but say we grab Martin at 13th, we could of in theory dropped back to 20th taken him their and then had an extra late 2nd or early third to grab another decent player OLB, OL, Corner w.e it may be. We are getting low on DL as well I hated seeing Branch go to seattle that hurt our depth big time.

18. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Humble –

RE: Draft

Would doubt it but anything possible.

19. By Chris Hughes on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

VonKrom,

Darren’s right on the money and in the later rounds Compensatory picks will effect that as well.

20. By raw_milk_man on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

is there any way the cardinal will get all black uniforms so we can look like ninjas when we tear up the opposing teams QBs?

21. By greg on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Darren

At DE we have Campbell (love), Holliday (old), Talley(?). I love our young LBers. So when I talk about another pass rusher I am talking about a DE. Do you feel that this is an area we need to address? Do you think picking up Bell is a good idea? Do you think pick 1 or 3 should be used on a DE?

22. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Greg –

RE: Questions

1) In a 3-4, another pass rusher would be an OLB. But getting DE depth is important. Just not at top of the food chain.
    2) Bell sounds good in theory, yes. Can he stay healthy? And at the right price?
    3) I would say no.

23. By greg on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Darren putting you on the spot. THE BIG QUESTION????

In your humble opinion picks 1 and 3 should address which areas?

24. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Greg –

RE: Draft

I’d like to see them sign Bell if for no other reason than to give them flexibility on draft day. You can’t pigeon-hole the picks for positions. You get killed that way. I have said a few times that right now, T, OLB and WR are the areas that I think most need addressing. But I wouldn’t have made CB on that list last year at the draft and they (smartly) still took Patrick Peterson.

25. By georgiebird on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Biggest mistake going into the draft is that the Cardinals defense is set. While I believe the Cards should pick a Roy Green type WR with the #1 choice, the balance of the draft should be heavy on the defense.
    Although the fans on this site would disagree (but those outside this site would agree), the Cardinals probably have the worst tandem of safeties in the NFL. AW and Kerry Rhodes are physically at the tail-end of their careers and “above the neck” neither has a clue on the passing game.
    In the last nine games of 2012, where the defense was pretty good, the one common element was the opposing QBs were not the elite types who can “burn” guys like Rhodes and AW.

26. By Andy K on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

We need to draft a cornerback the first round, if DRC had success, then why not another one. Patrick Peterson is decent, but we need a Cornerback like DRC.

27. By cdubbbbbbb on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Knowing that we were gonna trade DRC for Kolb is why CB was on their list last season IMO, plus PP was just to good to pass up. I guess they didnt really scout Aldon Smith well enough cause he is a beast haha. Anyway, I agree with you completely…. even if we do sign Bell, I would still think OT, OLB, WR are our needs in order.

28. By john on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

BPA…BPA ….BPA…..BPA PERIOD FLAT OUT EXCLAMATION MARK BPA!!!!!!!!!

29. By Tucson Cardinal on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Stoked for the draft. I hope we get a deep threat WR in the first round, but we still need to follow the best player available mentality. I like Roberts and think he’ll improve, and was happy we re-signed Doucet, but I think they both fit better in a slot position. Also, (as others already mentioned) even though Bell is risky, and isn’t an elite lineman by any means, adding him creates some options for us in the draft.

30. By YmmyYames on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Chris Hughes –
    Re: Top OT & Pass Rush

Here’s an exercise I learned: Mock draft up to the Cardinals’ pick. (try to grab a buddy to help, or two for that matter, and alternate picks)

When it comes to the Cards’ pick, stop and look at the board. Ask yourself, how many players meet your grade on that board with this pick? 3? 7? 10? And then that should tell you how many picks you can trade down to. That is of course IF you can find a willing partner. That partner is likely going to trade into the spot for one of the players on your list.

For example: Most likely scenario has Michael Floyd being available at 13. Now the Cards COULD pick him, but there may be a team that REALLY wants him. Or DeCastro…so that’s what you should go with, then think of the right partner, and figure out if it works.

Darren, have you ever done that? Probably, but it’s pretty fun if you haven’t.

31. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Ymmy –

RE: Draft game

Can’t say that I have.

32. By theuglitruth on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Drafting a WR in the 1st round would be a huge mistake. I don’t believe we are as close to competing as everyone seems to believe. QB’s make the receiver as much and the receiver makes himself and our QB play was questionable last year. Not to mention it takes time to become a pro….it’s not plug and play. I say continue to build the LB position (can never have enough OLB’s with a 3-4 D), OL positions, and depth at DE so we have a solid rotation in place. Press on the current WR’s to improve as they have year after year. Both Doucet & Roberts are ascending in yards and catches…I’d rather see them build on that momentum than train a new rookie w/large contract who could bust.

33. By Scott H on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

If they were gonna address the ( obvious ) need at WR, they could / SHOULD have done in through FA. They didn’t. Big surprise. But I am hoping that the position that will be the top priority on draft day will be the O-line. They have to come out of this draft with at least ONE O-lineman who seems assured to help improve that unit immediately. TWO would be even better.

34. By az2012 on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

get bell in free agency then get the best wr available in the draft and a olb in the 2nd round

35. By Dalton Kates on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

If the cardinals do not sign bell in free agency do you believe that they will choose an offensive lineman in the first round?

36. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Going to do a mock draft before the event, Darren? Know you love doing them and no one has to coax you.
    Tooting your own horn, when the last time you guessed the first Cards pick incorrectly? You had Peterson, Williams and Wells, no? Did you have DRC?

37. By shannon robinson on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

We will sign Mr. Bell as his other offers dim then Coach Russ Grimm selects his mirror image, DeCastro at thirteen in the First. Cards are lucky in the first round and will win again this year – Run, Beanie, Run!

38. By John the draft guy on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Greg,
    Dockett is a DE regardless of what they mark him as. DT label is for probowl balleting, but he is a 3-4 DE. Here is a base 3-4 defense. As you can see, the edge rushers are OLBs. On obvious passing downs, the NT comes out and another DB will come in. Don’t mean anything by this, just seemed you weren’t sure.
    RB
    FB
    QB wr
    WR T G C G T TE
    OLB DE NT DE OLB
    CB ILB ILB CB

S S
    Ben,
    I think most, including myself, are wanting an early pick on OLB is because there is a lack of faith in Schofiled. Maybe he is the guy, but in 2 years, he hasn’t showed enough IMO. Grabbing a true pass rushing OLB like Mercilus or Ingram would allow Scholfield to start with Acho and then give way on passing downs, much in the way SF used Aldon Smith this year. Acho and Mercilus, with Dockett and Campbell inside would give us a great pass rush.

Finally, adding Bell in the mix, would give us a solid OL. I would rather sign Bell and draft Mercilus than Draft Martin or Rieff ,( two Tackles that I think are not elite. In fact they might not even be LTs in the pros) and still lack a bigtime passrusher.

39. By John the draft guy on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Sorry guys, the line up didn’t show correctly after I sent submitted it. strange

40. By Shaun M Church on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Darren—

Have you seen video on Montana’s cornerback, Trumaine Johnson? I’ve been following him for the better part of a year, and I can tell you, this kid is special.

He’s big for a corner and will likely end up at safety eventually. My thought on it is that he will be off the board by the end of the second round, but may slip into the third.

He can provide depth at CB immediately while (this is just an opinion) learning from Wilson how to play safety so he can take over when Dub retires.

I feel they need to trade back in the first anyway, just to get back into the second. Should that happen—somewhere in the 20s—Stephen Hill should be the pick. Then they would be able to use the second on Johnson.

All hypothetically, of course. Your thoughts?

41. By John the draft guy on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Can’t seem to put up a diagram.But, Since I have seen these types of questions several times (like Gregs) I hope this helps some of you.

A 3-4 defense has a NT over the center, a DE on each side in the 5 hole(Shading the OT) The 2 ILBs are 4 yds off line over the Guards. And 2 OLBs outside of the DEs.

A 4-3 defense would put a DT in the 1 hole (between C and G) A DT in the 3 hole (Between G and T on other side) a DE in the 5 hole (outside T) and 7 hole (wide of T) with 3 LBs, one being a true MLB. another playing on the weakside (non TE side) off the line, and a SLB out over the TE.

Since we run a 3-4, our OLBs are the edge rushers. Right now, we have Schofield and Acho as the 2 OLBs. You need depth if you believe these guys are the starters. I don’t know if Schofield is a great pass rusher. This is why I want us to take a guy like Mercilus, who can rush the QB from the edge.

42. By cards2012 on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

kendall wright thats all i have to say

43. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Dalton -

RE: first round

That would make sense.

44. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands -

RE: mocks

Actually, I think I did have DRC. I did not have Williams. I had Williams going earlier. I actually picked a certain LB from TCU.

45. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Shaun -

RE: draft

Sounds reasonable.

46. By wsphxcardsfan on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

lets not be foolish, we need a strong foundation first! Oline Oline Oline!

47. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

@John the draft guy,

I agree with the idea that Mercilus is intriguing, there are a couple of significant red flags with him. To the best of my knowledge (or at least the few games I watched him play), he didn’t line up at OLB. Tough transition there, as many have proved. The other is he’s the one-year wonder that can be difficult to project. If we’re going to go OLB at #13 I’d rather see us take Upshaw (in spite of what Casserly thinks about him).

48. By Chris Hughes on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Re: Yammy
    I have done that it is quite fun buddy!

I understand what your saying, Of course you need a team that wants to trade up into your spot to get a guy that’s available there. To me that’s Obvious lol. To others maybe not.

But my point was to your Comment and I quote “the Cards would have to find a taker who wants to move up to 13 for the right player and the position to drop would likely be 23 or lower for an additional 2nd rounder. That would likely kill our chances of any top OT or pass rush talent”

Basically you were saying there isn’t going to be any good OT left if we dropped back, that is false all of the tackles that will be there at 13th will be there at 20th like I stated. The only OL that could go in between those picks is decastro like i stated. Also we don’t Have to get a second rounder for dropping back we shouldn’t drop back any further than 20 (to ensure all of the tackles that are there at 13 will be there when we pick)which would give us a decent 3rd rounder. So if they were to find a trading partner we drop back to around the 20th pick, take martin or another OT and gain a third would be ideal for the cards . Will it happen probably not but that would be our Best chance of maximizing our oppurtunities to have the best draft possible

49. By YmmyYames on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Darren -

Re: Draft Game

No? Okay then…I guess I’m a bigger nerd than I thought. (said the guy posting on a football team message board) Haha…Take care

50. By YmmyYames on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Chris Hughes -

Re: Draft

I agree, it would be nice to trade down if the grades are even at that point. And I think we can still get a decent player, but it just depends who we can project going in picks 13-23.

And maybe there is a team like the Jets that are willing to jump up and grab a guy AND give up their 2nd, despite the value not being equal. Who can say? But Graves is not much of a trade guy on draft day. Maybe he’ll surprise us.

51. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Ymmy –

RE: Draft game

It probably says more about me than you.

52. By Laird on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

According to Mike Mayock; w/ two O-Liners picked before Cards Pick@13 Mike Adams would be a Great Pick ! Then in third round get a good re to go opposite side of FITZ! GO CARDINALS!

53. By John the draft guy on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Mike Ellingboe;

Sounds like what they said about Aldon Smith last year. I would use Mercilus in the same way the niners used Smith; passing situations while Schofield starts.
    Yes he played DE, but I believe he has the ability to play OLB.

To me, and I can’t believe I am not reading this or seeing it from the experts, he reminds me of a 2005 DE, who had some red flags on him. But boy can he get the QB. (Of course I’m talking about Demarcus Ware)

Of course, I’m banging the drum for Tannehill. But he will be in cleveland or miami. I don’t like Martin or Rieff as LTs. Decastro is solid and may play tackle, and the guy who is intriguing to me is Dre Kirkpatrick. Let’s face it, Jefferson didn’t cease the CB spot last year, Toler is coming off of injury and will be a FA next year, and Gay is a nice nickle guy. I would always take a passrusher over a CB, but Kirkpatrick could look real nice in red.

54. By Dr_Travis on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

It is a lot of fun reading people’s ideas about who the Cards should take although drafting for need never works out. If you review drafts for teams that are successful damn near yearly then you notice BEST player available strategy. Glaring needs are addressed in FA for the most part! Sometimes you get lucky and the best player available is one of your needs, ie. Beanie Wells but most of the time when you draft for need and skip BEST player available you end up kicking yourself, ie. Levi Brown/AP – I still remember how agonizing that pick was that day, how could they not take AP? Anyway, the first round should be BPA without a doubt b/c of the top players in college football only a select few will be top players in the pros and you don’t want to miss out. The later rounds can be addressed with more ‘team needs’ in mind as the difference of skill between those players is marginal and desire/heart/character become more important IMO.
    Hopefully the redbirds get lucky and DeCastro falls b/c then #1 need would match BPA but highly unlikely. The Chiefs at 11 have glaring need for a guard. That guy is going to be a perrineal probowler! If DeCastro is gone then hopefully Ingram will be there. Co Cards!

55. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

@John,

I hear what you’re saying, but the few times I saw him anywhere other than DE it was inside at DT. To me, with Upshaw already playing in a 3-4 he’s a much easier projection.

While it seems we consistently differ on what direction they should go, I do like your posts. Refreshing to read something that has been given some thought.

56. By Dr_Travis on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Darren -
    Just read your mock draft when we got D. Williams and D. Wash. Very impressive actually. Damn we need Big Dan to step up this year and be the anchor of our 3-4 defense, that would make our D-line one of the best in the league. Campbell and Dockett aren’t prototypical DEs but both excellent in what they do well. If only Big Dan would be excellent in being a wall and penetrating then…..if only…..
    P.S.
    Maybe we use our extra 6th rounder as leverage somehow to jump up and grab someone who has unexpectedly dropped like when we did that and got D. Wash!! I love the possibilities but I love knowing who is going to be a Cardinal even more. Go Redbirds!

57. By Birdgang1028 on Apr 1, 2012 | Reply

It’s pretty simple for me.

1a) Micheal Floyd- to me this is a no brainor. You get the #2 receiver to compliment Larry. This will open up the middle for Housler which I believe is going to have a break out year like Jimmy Graham from the Saints. Not only that, it’s going to make Beanie and Ryan Williams that much better. However, there is a possibility that Floyd won’t be there at 13.

1b) David Decastro- he’s going to be a pro bowler for years to come. It doesn’t look like Bell is going to sign with the Cards so Decastro would be the logical pick. I know that the less intelligent people are going to critizes this but my OL would look something like this.. LT Levi LG Colledge C Sedlein RG Decastro RT Snyder. Imagine the holes that our right side would create for Beanie. This looks lime the most likely pick IMO.

2) Luke Kuechly ILB- his biggest flaw according to NFL experts was his speed. He proved them wrong in the combine. At 6’3 242 lbs his 40 time was 4.58 and his vertical jump was 38 inches! Not only does he have the smarts but he has the tools to be an impact player from the get go. Remember Cards fan, Daryl Washington ran the 40 yard at the same time that Kuechly did and was 13 lbs lighter and is 1 inch shorter! Imagine having Washington and Kuechly patrolling the middle of the field for years to come. We still have Bradley, Acho, Schofield and Haggans is going to come back IMO.

Personally, I would love for the Cards to draft Kuechly and I see this as the most likely scenario. Floyd is projected to be drafted by the Jaguars and Decastro by the Chiefs.

Let’s go Birdgang!