Toler signs, ready to “unleash the beast”

Posted by Darren Urban on March 27, 2012 – 3:59 pm

In the morning, Greg Toler came in for his rehab/workout carrying a big bag of Wendy’s breakfast sandwiches for the athletic trainers and teammates, and in the afternoon, the cornerback was confirming via text the news (first reported by Howard Balzer) that he had indeed signed his one-year restricted free agent tender offer, which will pay him about $1.26 million this season. (There has been no official announcement from the team.)

The text was a lot more than a confirmation on the signing, however. Clearly, Toler — who missed all of 2011 after tearing his ACL in the preseason — is anxious to play.

“Yea (I signed) and ready to unleash a year of waiting with built up emotions and hunger inside of me,” Toler wrote. “The Man above does what he does for his own reasoning.  So we just have to know he will never lead us astray. I’ve been waiting to put back on some cleats and just unleash the beast which path I was on coming into last season. Just rewind the film. It has clicked and that’s scary for a guy like me, lol. Line ‘em Up. Blessings GT28…Red Sea Let’s Get it. 2012 is our year. One play and game at a time. We do this together.”

Toler’s recovery will impact greatly what happens in the Cards’ secondary. Patrick Peterson is the clear No. 1 cornerback. Toler, who was a starter before he got hurt, should be in the mix but until he proves where he is on his reconstructed knee, A.J. Jefferson and newly signed William Gay will compete to start. Toler has made good progress, has been out running around, and there’s no reason to think he won’t be ready for training camp.

Tags: , , ,

49 Responses to “Toler signs, ready to “unleash the beast””

1. By Chris on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I have high hopes for Greg. He seemed to be playing a lot better and was anxious to see his growth/development before the injury happened. Hopefully he comes back with a fire to prove doubters wrong!

2. By Chris B on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

“Starting Corner” is kind of a loose term. As it has been pointed out, Marshall wasn’t the starter until a few weeks in but eh was always out on the field. Even then (Marshall started) Mike Adams/Jefferson were on the field 50-70% of the time anyway. You really have 3 starting corners. Peterson/Gay/Toler/Jefferson with Mighty Mike too? Yeah, I’m OK with that.

3. By Cardsfan91 on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

good sign i am happy we will have a better secondary next year now all we need is bell and to put brown to the right side and we can draft a WR first round!

4. By Paul H on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Darren, any idea when the pre-season teams will be announced? I always seem to forget when that is done..

5. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Paul H —

RE: Preseason

I assume you mean games and not teams? Preseason schedule, the last couple of years, has come out right around the same time as the regular-season schedule, in mid-to-late April.

6. By Jesse on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I am very excited for Toler. I think he will fit perfectly into Horton’s defense.
    We will have a very physical secondary next year! Hopefully we can create some pressure to make these guys lives easier!

7. By Cardsfan91 on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Darren-
    with Toler coming back this season do you think we will be looking at any more DB to build up our secondary?

8. By Scott H on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Will look forward to seeing Toler play. And will hope that he is as good as we think he can be.

9. By thecardinalfan1104 on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Wooooooo yah release Dat beast woo show them wat u are made of

10. By thecardinalfan1104 on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Release that beast yahhhhh

11. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Cardsfan91 —

RE: DBs

I think they won’t rule it out.

12. By in fitz we trust on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

i hope he took the year to learn the scheme, since he didnt get any “hands on” work. all our other dbs now have one year on him in the learning curve which might push him down the depth charts

13. By Judy on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I hope Greg takes up where he was before the injury,ony better.

14. By Brandon Allen on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Darren- Do you know any of the Cards pre-draft player visitI and Individual workouts? And do you know If they have any Interest In TY Hilton from FIU? He’s perfect for us, 4.28-4.36 speed streches the fIeld and we can get him In the 3rd and maybe 4th.

15. By Mr.Ramirez on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Will be a great secondary next year with Peterson,Gay,Toler,and Jefferson. Even having Michael Adams playing back up is good.

16. By Tien on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Our secondary looks beast this coming season with Peterson/Gay/Toler/Jefferson/Adams. Along with a great safety tandem. We also have some young solid OLB with Acho and Schofield. We just need a little more in our def line and our defense will be top 10 for sure.
    Our offense isn’t that bad either. I’m confident in our QBs and I am looking forward to watching them compete for the starting job. Our running game will be even better because now we will Ryan Williams. And on top of that I look forward to seeing Fitz be Fitz

17. By Dre 1368 on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Having gt back is great let hope he has a strong season he is a man when he tackles. Let’s get him some help from the front seven pp gt got all the speed.

18. By Born n Bred on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

I love Toler cause hes a football player.. i believe he will be back to his norm and take his starting job back.. with good depth from Gay and my dude MAdams..

the AJ Jerfferson experiment needs to come to an end (just like SWilliams18) or give him more reps at the nickle and dime spots.. We rarely see him in coverage at the nickle spot or dime spot, and when he does, hes not that good at the spot.. hes only a outside corner cause of his measurables..thats were his appeal is at..

Draft a versitle CB and a future starting S and i do believe thats higher on the list than a WR

19. By garrett on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

With Greg Toler, Patrick Peterson, and William Gay, I really think this secondary has potential to be one of the best in the league.

What position do you see the Cardinals drafting in the first round?

20. By Keith on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Im really excited about Toler and I just hope he can pick up where he left off. Played decent to above average in covering ability in my opinion but played as a very physical corner that would not shy away from any tackles. I have a feeling if he can pick up where he left off, he is going to be ray hortons new favorite player with enough time.

21. By Eazy E on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Don’t expect too much, he’s coming off a horrific injury. I just hope he can contribute, that’s all, but we’ll see. As of now, the starters are PP and Gay. We’ll probably bring one more cb in though, would be surprised if we didn’t.

22. By Darren Urban on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Brandon –

RE: rookie visits

They don’t announce those visits.

23. By Jesus G. on Mar 27, 2012 | Reply

Great news! Losing Toler and R. Williams were detrimental to the 2011 season IMHO. Toler is a great tackler and I can’t wait to see him back on field along with R. Williams. Lets go!

24. By Javier Montoya on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

They said he was just like DRC but more physical when those two were paired up so he might as well feel ready to rip it up.
    Our D is ready to send home some Sleezhawks, 40Winers, and Yams with some bruises!

25. By b0rd3rline (Nick G.) on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren –

I’m glad to see Toler is making progress, I cannot wait to see him back on the field.

That being said, I was hoping you would check out this article I wrote about him on reverngeofthebirds.com last year right after he tore his ACL. If anything, it’ll help you (and any other readers on here who check it out) understand how ACL injuries like GT’s occur on the football field. I hope you get a chance to read it!

Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/6n72hns

26. By Brandon Allen on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

What about any potential interest in TY Hilton? Also is, there any interest in Notre Dame’s Michael Floyd? And one more question,(sorry just a dedicated cards fan who really wants to know this stuff )hearing alot of interest in DeCastro do you think he is the favorite right now for the 13th pick?

27. By Stewart Badley on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

For those who are excited that we signer William Gay, I will tell you what we are getting. We are getting an averege CB that has had a good career Thanks to Jamer Herrison and Lamar Woodley, I am more excited about CBs Crezdon Butler and Corey Lindsey.

28. By Bershud on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

I know this question might seem personal, so feel free to decline to answering , but what is your annual salary?
    I ask this because I really want to pursue a career like yours in the future, so if you could give me some insight that would be very very very helpful.

29. By John the Draft Guy on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Wasn’t many on this board wanting an upgrade of Toler before last years draft? The thoughts of Peterson and DRC shutting down teams. Other names were mentioned at CB also.

Now nothing but love. Interesting.

I hope he is ready to roll and plays well.

Question; For all you BPA guys, if Dre Kirkpatrick dropped to 13 (looks like he will) and the cards have him rated higher than any Tackle or pass rusher, do you take him?

30. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Brandon —

RE: Draft

They haven’t even had draft meetings yet so there is no favorite for the pick.

31. By Darren Urban on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Bershud —

RE: Salary

Yeah, I’m going to have to pass on that question.

Feel free to e-mail me at askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net, however, and I will try to answer questions about the business if you would like.

32. By D on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Wow, SF picked up B Jacobs…AZ needs a good draft..

33. By D on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

AZ defense needs a big year from D. Williams S. Bradley…also need to add another D lineman to rotate with Dockett, can’t expect him to play as many snaps so he is fresher at end of the year…

34. By cards62 on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

I love PP, but not so sold on our second and third CB. I like Toler and hope he is the answer, but others have raised good points about his injury and not knowing a complex defense as well as others CB on our team.
    I wish we would have kept Marshall over Gay and I would feel more confident.

Cardinal Fans I really like the improvements AJ Jefferson made to his game from 2010 to 2011. I agree he made mistakes, but coming into 2011 most of us did not know if he would even make the squad and he goes to our 2nd to 3rd CB. I just hope Jefferson improves as much in 2012 as he did in 2011. Jefferson is one of my dark horses to have a strong year for us in 2012.

I have a hard time believing the love that Money Mike Adams is receiving. Please go back and watch the tape on him the last 3 years. A great guy that I hope becomes a coach, but I will only start feeling good about our db depth when we cut Money Mike Adams from our squad. LIke I said great guy, but a horrible cover corner.

Go Cards!

35. By cardsalltheway on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

That picture is deceiving since Toler has lost his thigh muscle since and probably doesn’t look like that anymore nor does he have the same speed as he did before, not to mention the cutting, stop n go etc…skills he had before. I wish it weren’t true but right now, I’m a realist. I hope I’m wrong and wish the best for Toler. Take it slow G.

36. By CARDS#1FAN on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Brandon Jacobs is garbage thats why he was let go.He runs more to the sidelines now days then going straight ahead for his size thats pathethic.

37. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

@John the draft guy,

As “BPA guy,” yes, I would. However, I don’t have Kirkpatrick rated so highly that it would be an issue for me (Claiborne being a completely different story). If I could replace any position on our team that projects as solid to all-pro, over weak to potentially solid, I wouldn’t hesitate. Imagine a secondary with PP and Claiborne as our starters, and Toler and Gay in nickel and dime packages. Or, scenario two, where we draft an OT who likely isn’t ready to play LT right away (Adams, Martin) and it turns out they’re RT’s, at best – which isn’t a stretch, with their various strengths and weaknesses. Now we’re not upgraded much at all. The other issue with those two, is unlike many Tackles who move inside to Guard if they don’t work out, is I can’t see a move inside for either of them.

Granted, there are no “sure” things in the draft, but some projections are much easier than others.

38. By Louisville Card on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

@Brandon Allen

I totally agree with you on Hilton…I watched him single handidly beat my Louisville Cards this season. He was in the running preseason for the Biletnikoff Award and could be had in the 3rd or 4th round…

39. By BleedCardsRED on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

I think Greg and Ryan Williams are going to have breakout years this season! Go Red!

40. By Born n Bred on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Heres the reason Adams gets love.. No one on this site is saying hes a 1 or 2 CB.. hes a 4th CB, now alot of teams out there im sure there 4th cb is not all that great..(heck the Pats 1 n 2 are horrilbe) also the guys 5’8 or so, if you do go back on the tape the guy is never beaten bad on a routes, hes always just there but not quit able to break the pass… but those WRs never rack up the YAC yards on him.. plus he a competitor and a speacl teamer

41. By sport245245 on Mar 28, 2012 | Reply

Born n Bred: You have said it all and right on for “MoneyMike” He always makes plays. Plays that some on here do not seem to notice or remember. How I ask do they not or maybe theyr’e not watching the same guy as me. All Corners get beat from time to time, but it that is the criterion, dump all the db’s in the league, not just the Cardinals.

42. By cdubbbbbbb on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Yea Money Mike is an excellent slot corner, whoever thinbks he sucks doesnt know crap about foosball

43. By dan on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Talk is cheap.

44. By Mr. Know It All on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Good to see GT is working hard to get back to form.
    GT is a tackling machine in 2010 he had 90 tackles in 14 games. GWS GT

45. By drstiegler on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Injury Returns to Help Squad Immensely
    With R. Williams and Toler and Big Dan W. on the D-line all coming back with the potential they have to be difference makers, it is very exciting. If all 3 can produce then we are competing for the NFC West title for sure…..well that is if Kolb or Skelton plays well of course. We Do This Together!!

46. By drstiegler on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully we Toler, R. Williams and Big Dan W. can produce up to their potential, if so we are contenders for the NFC West title for sure……
    Only if our QB play is improved of course.
    We Do This Together!!!!!!!!!!!

47. By Diesel on Apr 1, 2012 | Reply

Speed comes from hamstring and gluteal muscles, not stability ligaments in your knees. To everybody who is concerned about Toler’s speed, give it a rest. Even if Dr. Andrews used a tiny portion of his hamstring to construct a new ACL, it has no effect on his speed. Agility, stability, maybe a little, but that is what rehab is for.

Also, let’s all not forget that Toler was second on the team in tackles a couple years ago. SECOND, from the secondary! Either our defensive lineman and linebackers sucked (including our Safeties) or he’s got that good of a nose for the ball. He also did this without a 3-4 blitzing freak like Horton at the DC.

Pat Pete is not a tackler and this defense will not cross .500 without GT– or at least one good linebacker.

48. By William Barry on Apr 6, 2012 | Reply

Darren–our defense could be really good with Jefferson, Peterson, Gay, Adams,Wilson, Rhodes, etc…I really like our LB’s in Acho and Schofield…Also what is the status of Q. Studivant..I know he was drafted, he is still on the practice squad???

49. By Darren Urban on Apr 6, 2012 | Reply

William –

RE: Sturdivant

There is no practice squad in the offseason. But yes, he is on the roster.