• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Bits and pieces on a slow day

Posted by Darren Urban on March 29, 2012 – 7:00 pm

Not a whole lot going on right now, and I expect that to carry through the weekend. I spent part of Thursday talking to Adrian Wilson at a charity event at University of Phoenix Stadium. I’ll have more in a story tomorrow, but Wilson gave a speech to a few hundred employees of Sam’s Club and Wal-Mart kicking off a fundraising drive and, in the middle of his talk, surprised everyone by offering up a $100,000 donation of his own to Phoenix Children’s Hospital.

Following up on the salaries tackle Levi Brown received on his new contract, Kent Somers found out the rest of the numbers for Brown, including the signing bonus ($7 million) and the all-important salary cap figures ($2.65M in 2012, $6.4M in 2013). Not a huge surprise, given the circumstances, which included Brown being one of the more attractive available tackles on the market (OK, I know what you want to say, but it’s reality.)

– Todd McShay’s newest mock draft (Insider needed) has the Cards taking — with Martin and DeCastro on the board still at No. 13 — pass-rusher Melvin Ingram of South Carolina. Wouldn’t surprise me. As I have said, I think they need more at pass rusher, and if they deemed Ingram a difference-maker, you don’t want to reach for an offensive tackle just to fill a need. That’s when you get in trouble. That said, draft meetings still haven’t started, there is no draft board, and as anyone can see when looking over the mocks out there, 13 is the no-man’s land. Up until pick 5 or 6 or 7, you can probably narrow down the names. After that, though, all bets are off and there are always surprises. It’s so hard to know what will be available when the Cards pick.

Tags: , , ,

51 Responses to “Bits and pieces on a slow day”

1. By Jzoully on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Love it, Melvin Ingram is a great player and would fill the system great. But I would much rather someone in the middle, now Darren, considering the best defensive player might be Luke Kuechly, if he slides to 13 would you take him? OR are we set at inside linebacker.

2. By Darren Urban on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Jzoully –

RE: MLB

I wouldn’t say set. But does Kuechly play in a 3-4 or is he a natural MLB? And I’m not sure where he fits if you are keeping Bradley, which it looks like they are. I think you can find someone at a few other positions that make more sense.

3. By MArk Moreno on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, Has Demetrius Bell Made A Decision Yet, Are The Cardinal’s Still Interested In His Service’s? I Hope We Get Him So He Can Protect Kevin Kolb Or John Skelton @ Solidify the Offensive Line.

4. By BIll on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Ingram would be hard to pass up at #13. Still think the Cards should look at moving down and stock-piling picks.

Need a pass-rusher
    WR
    at least 2 Olineman
    Safety
    backup Nose-Tackle

5. By Darren Urban on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Mark –

RE: Bell

Bell remains unsigned.

6. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

If I can stand on a soapbox for a moment:
    The Children’s Miracle Network is a nonprofit organization that raises monies for kid’s hospitals and research. Nine of ten dollars goes straight to the local facility and Phoenix Children’s Hospital, IMO, has to one of the finest. Everything from the staff to the building itself alleviates the children’s fear from the stereotypical sterile hospital feeling.
    My niece that lives with me suffers from seizures and while she knows PCH is where she gets poked and prodded, she’s comfortable in going to a place where she has fun and is respected also.
    Thank you Wilson and Walmart for supporting this extremely valuable humanistic charity.

And thank you Darren for the space. I owe you one.

7. By Chris on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Only knock on Ingram is the short arms. Motor is outstanding though but I think he’ll struggle getting off blocks.

8. By Steve on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

Darren: Other than Kalil and Reiff, I just dont see any other O-lineman warranting a top 15 selection. If Ingram is still available and we select him I would have no problem with that at all.

9. By Eazy E on Mar 29, 2012 | Reply

One of the more attractive tackles, but no visits from other teams? Coincidence or boy just can’t play?

10. By Hammy on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

As for Demetrius Bell I think there is obvious reason he still is not signed, He is a good tackle when healthy but dont know if the Cards will make that gamble due to his durability. I would like to see this take Ingram for their first pick, dude is a beast.

11. By Sean on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

@ Chris.

Ever see Ingram play or did you take those verbatim comments directly from NFL.com?

12. By Matt in Philly on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Just take the best player on the board regardless of position. If no Ingram or Reiff at #13, DeCastro is probably the best player. Although, with no 2nd round pick, it might be difficult to use the 1st rounder on a guy who most likely won’t play this year. If none of those guys are available, trade down and snag a receiver or one of the more dynamic/raw pass rushers (i.e. Nick Perry).

13. By Von KromDom on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Personally I hope Ingram is the selection for the Cards. I just hope he is there when the Cards select. I also like Michael Floyd or Courtney Upshaw at 13 if Ingram is off the board. I just don’t see them taking a OT in round 1 unless they trade way down. I think you have to take the best talent remaining when you select in the middle of the 1st round. Most so called “Elite talent” is gone, so best player remaining should be the motto.

And I am still a big believer that defense still wins championships. I would welcome the selection of Ingram. Unless for some reason Kalil falls to no. 13.

14. By cardsalltheway on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

“Slow Day”
    For others with $7 million dollar bonuses it might be hectic if on a spending spree.

This very informative comment is mostly gathered from the NFL website today.

Greg Toler and Ryan Williams injuries are similar in that the middle of their kneecaps were cut during major surgery and both lost thigh muscles for a period of time(same with A. Peterson of the Vikings)…

‘Vikings GM certain Peterson will regain his old form’
    “It’s the type of injury most skill players in the NFL never make it all the way back from…,”

I’ve Mentioned The Above Facts Out Before But Have Been Routinely Attacked by Fellow Cardinal Fans, I Know, The Truth Hurst!!!

And here are excellent examples with recent past player stats/diagnosis info. who have attempted comebacks…
    ‘ACL surgery research shows decline in running back stats’

Here is a list of 2011 NFL players with Knee/ACL injuries who might/are/will be attempting comebacks in 2012…
    Torn Patellar Tendon – Cardinals(RB) Ryan Williams
    Torn Achilles Tendon – Jets (LB) Bryan Thomas
    Torn Achilles Tendon – Bills (LB) Shawne Merriman
    Torn Achilles Tendon – Bengals (CB) Leon Hall
    Broken Arm – Cardinals (T) Dan Williams

15. By Andy K on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you know when LaRod Stephens-Howling will resign with the team? And is he working out a contract with the cardinals at all?

16. By smack28 on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

One thing is certain, this group has stuck to their board. Drafting a RB last year in the 2nd round was a big surprise for any draft expert. I think the same will hold true for this year. I know the experts are saying that there are two plug and play OTs in the draft – Kalil & Reiff. Both are projected to be top ten picks. If that is the case and three QBs are taken in the top ten and someone makes an unexpected pick or two (it happens every year), Reiff could potentially fall to us. If that happens and he is listed higher on our draft board, we take him and the decision makers are giving high fives all around. Charles Davis of the NFL Network projected this happening in his latest Mock, so it is not out of the question.

17. By John the draft guy on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Last year I banged the drum to sign a guy like Bulger and draft Tannehill in 2012. Now 2012 is here, Tannehill just keeps climbing. I heard Jurecki saying Minnesota might be willing to trade down if someone wanted to grab him at 3.
    So, much for him falling to 13.

Taking a OLB at 13 would be awesome. Ingram is one of those stocky pass rushers who can get under the tackle and turn the corner. I know Mike Ellingboe has been wanting Courtney Upshaw, who seems like a high motor guy who can hold the edge on the run. Both guys would be an asset. Of course I’ve been wanting Mercilus. I heard someone describe him this week as a Simeon Rice clone. Tall, lean with long arms. A natural pass rusher.

Which ever pass rusher you prefer, I believe at least 2 of them will be there at 13. I believe the only Tackle I would rate above these 3 would be Kalil. Rieff has right tackle all over him. Some scouts take tackles with arms less than 34 inches off the board. I would be one of them. (see Robert Gallery)

CB would be the other option. Opposed to some, I see Dre Kirkpatrick as a top 15 pick for our defense. Tall and very physical, he can be left on an island on one side.

So with the 13th pick, you can go with the highest rated OLB above or Kirkpatrick. Well unless by some chance Tannehill drops. (a la Rodgers in 05)

18. By cardsalltheway on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

There is another Giants CB(along with B. Witherspoon) with an ACL injury just last year who should be closely followed by Cardinal fans in comparison since it happened early in the season like G. Toler. Terrell Thomas was recently signed to another contract to the Giants…

Where is our video interview of Toler?

I hope Toler, Thomas, and R. Williams can all make it back even though it will be a tough battle since the CB/RB positions are skill positions and reacting to WR cuts/moves ain’t easy. Hope is only/just that, we can’t count of players who had off-season major knee surgeries. Or what about Dan Williams arm, how is it? One mock draft I saw had us taking a Nose Tackle in the first or third round, huh?

19. By cardsalltheway on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

CORRECTION:
    For Toler, Williams, and Thomas they weren’t “off-season” but season ending which puts them a little bit ahead of the game compared to most of the 2011 ACL etc…injuries that happened during the season.

20. By Darren Urban on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Eazy E –

RE: Brown

According to Brown, he did have multiple teams interested but he didn’t want to leave Arizona. Take that how you will.

21. By Darren Urban on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Andy K –

RE: Hyphen

RFAs have until April 20 to field offers from other teams. But I would guess he’s not in a hurry to sign the tender until he is around, and he hasn’t been yet.

22. By Iceman on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

what’s happening at the punter position? Are the Cards looking for a younger player than Zastudil? i think that there’s not much out there,especially after Donnie Jones signed with the Texans.Unless they can sign McBriar away from the Cowboys, they should stick with Zastudil. What’s your opinion?

23. By Darren Urban on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Iceman –

RE: Punter

I haven’t heard anything, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually signed Zastudil and then brought in a younger punter — maybe an UDFA, or a guy who’s been around — to battle him.

24. By Chris on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

@Sean

I have seen Ingram play and I stand by my statement. I don’t know what the information says about him on NFL.com but I will say that if you’ve been following him, he measured at 3 different arm lengths. Combine he was listed at 31 1/2″, Senior Bowl he was at 30 1/2″, and at his Pro Day they were listed at 29 7/8″.

If you can name anyone at the NFL level who has great success with under average arm length, I would be happy to entertain it. It’s a proven fact that he will have a much harder time shedding blocks from guys who has great arm length. His motor is outstanding and the best thing he can do is learn various moves to free himself from blocks. I’m just not sure how well he’ll do and I would almost rather trade back if the top OT/G talent we desire is gone and grab someone like Nick Perry (USC) or Whitney Mercilus (Illinois).

25. By laughingallthewaytothebank on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

hahaha oh Darren I love irony…

Levi Brown 5th pick … you don’t reach on an offensive lineman to fill a need… ADRIAN PETERSON was picked after brown!!!!!!!!!!!! And sure you can make the easy argument with AP was hurt and don’t know what we would have gotten out of him but it was Adrian Peterson the only high school recruit in the last ten years who could have started in the NFL at 18… and bad first round decisions are what this team is famous for and I bet bottom dollar we will have to endure another questionable pick this year too… and I say all this with a truly heavy heart and hopes I am wrong… sorry for the text yelling Darren have a good weekend and keep us informed brother

26. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

@John,

I too, see Mercilus as similar to Rice, and still think he would have gone from very good to legendary if we ran the 3-4 back when he was here. If he or Ingram (talk about a physical clone of James Harrison) can make the transition from the line to OLB I agree any one of the three could be the piece we’re missing. Will still cast my meaningless ballot for either DeCastro or Upshaw.

Will have to debate one of your ideas, however (you knew that was coming). While arm length is important, I wouldn’t use it as a sole criteria for pulling a LT off a draft board. Good point about Gallery, but both Joe Thomas and Jake Long below that line as well.

27. By Andy on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Best Player Available!!! No reaching for tackles. You become a good team by accumulating playmakers and filling in around the gaps with serviceable, good attitude guys… Would like DeCastro. They can always use Snyder at RT if they need to. Difference maker pass rusher would be great too.

28. By Chris on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

@Mike

Joe Thomas has 1″ shorter arms compared to Reiff I believe, interesting food for thought.

29. By Mark in Chandler on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

OLB verses OL. One of those two. I am a big Melvin Ingram fan but still am deciding whether he will be good or great. OL in the 1st round seems the wiser course.

On the OL front: Despite what some of the pundits and others have said the Cardinals have complete OL flexibility in the 1st round. That is why they wanted Brown and Snyder. Both of those players allow flexibility. The Cards could get DeCastro and move Snyder to RT and leave Brown at LT. They pick Cordy Glenn (whom I really like) and plop him in at RT or RG. They can take the best OL available regardless of position.

As for Reiff and Martin: Reiff I think is a RT. He would be fine there but I do not see a lot of difference between him and Martin in value. It is odd to me that Martin’s stock has dropped in all of the mocks after football has been played. All had him top 10 at the end of the season now some don’t even have in the 1st round. Has he allowed more sacks since the season ended?! Combine and Prodays are not that impactful unless you are a sports writter and you are trying to figure something new to write about. Martin needs to get stronger-no doubt. But he played pretty darn well. He has great character- no concerns there (unlike Adams who has warning flags all around him). Will he struggle against nfl speed rushers- maybe but I can show you 20 starting LT who struggle against Ware et al.

Reaching: Under the new CBA reaching is a relative term. If the guy you like is more of a 20th pick value and you are at 13 go get him. The cost difference is not that great and who cares if someone says you could have got him with the 20th pick-you don’t have the 20th, you have the 13th and he is a legitimate NFL starter at a coveted position and at a postition of need. If that is Martin or Ingram it is the same.

OLB: One final thought about OLB. I know most think that the Cards will get an OLB early in the draft, and if a great one is there then you take one. The position is too important to pass on great talent. But Schoffield and Acho are not bad. Acho, through effort, managed 7 sacks on a trucated year. Schoffield would have been an early 2nd round pick if he had not blown out his knee. (Cards got great value there). He figured out the defense and how to be a pro the 2nd half of the year. Depth would be good there however, B Williams and Coleman both have potential and Haggans could have another year in him. But if the Cardinals did not get an OLB in the 1st round I would not panic if they did not worry about it at all. I would put safety depth as a greater need than OLB depth. They NEED starting OL talent. It would be GOOD to get a #2 starting WR. It would be WISE to start developing the next safteies. But I have confidence in Acho and Schofield and so there is no urgency at this position. Acho and Schofield are the future.

30. By R Robles on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren will you be making a mock draft?

31. By Darren Urban on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

R Robles –

RE: Mock

If I do, it won’t be until a day or two before the draft.

32. By D on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

A lot of interest by AZ in defensive players…

Workout and visit dates, if available, are in parentheses.
    Arizona Cardinals
    Old Dominion defensive tackle Ronnie Cameron (?/?).
    Virginia defensive end Matt Conrath (4/?).
    *Bethune-Cookman linebacker Ryan Davis (3/21).
    Virginia Tech cornerback Jayron Hosley (?/?).
    Illinois safety Tavon Wilson (?/?).

33. By johnnybluenose on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

c’mon darren. do a mock. they’re just fun.

34. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

@Chris,

I probably should have left Jake Long out of the conversation, since nobody can seem to agree how long his arms are, but it looks like my point was understood. On the other side of the coin, Herman Johnson’s arms measured out at 36+. As we all know, it’s the combination of skills and God-given gifts that make elite players at the next level, not just one or the other.

35. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

@Mark in Chandler,

Couldn’t agree more with your thoughts about how “bad” (or good) some guys get after the season ends. Another classic example of that is Ryan Tannehill. Granted, I agree he shows a ton of potential but as for right now he’s still the same guy who shows the kind of inconsistency you’d expect from a recently converted WR. How he climbs from his original 2nd-3rd round grade to likely a top 10/possible top 4 in round one amazes me just as much as Martin’s sudden inability to block anyone.

36. By John the draft guy on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Mike;
    Arm Length; Just too much of a red flag. Both Jake Long and Joe Thomas are very talented and probowl players with amazing feet, but play on teams that run the ball first. Also, West coast offenses get rid of the ball sooner. It would be interesting if they played for the raiders the last couple years, where every route is deep and every drop is 5 to 7 steps. Let’s face it, teams pick players that fit your system.

With that being said, I don’t see anyone mistaking Reiff for Long or Thomas. When looking at Martin and Reiff, do you really see that much more upside than a guy like Mitchell Schwartz or Bobbie Massie, who could be had in possibly the 3rd round? Schwartz could come in and start at either tackle spot IMO.
    I just don’t think there is enough of a difference between Reiff and Martin vs Adams, Glenn, or Schwartz.

As for Decastro, He is heads and shoulders a better player. I think he could even play tackle (a la Brandon Albert).

I just prefer that if we can’t get a franchise QB, then get someone who can stop the other teams franchise QB, either by pressure or coverage. Therefore, the pick at 13 has to be one of the 3 OLBs or Kirkpatrick.

37. By D on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Boy, If I am Kolb or Skelton today I may be a lttle worried…have a big hole at Left tackle…the odds that R Reif will fall to them at 13 are slim, no second round pick so that means either L. Brown or a 3rd round pick playing Left tackle and either B. Keith or a rookie playing right tackle…good thing Kolb cashed that 7 mil check…as far as Skelton, well, his young body should be able to take the punishment…

38. By Rob on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren-

If the Cards stick with the drafting best player available philosophy, do you think that would include a qb like Tannehill?

39. By Darren Urban on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Rob –

RE: QB

Usually QBs are a different subject. I wouldn’t rule it out, but I am thinking he’s long gone before 13 anyway.

40. By MArk Moreno on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

levi wanted to stay in arizona good i have faith in him as a player. thats just tells you he wants to be a more good player and better than hes been critiziced.

41. By cobra on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Who knows what the cards will do on draft day. I doubt Tannehill, management would never live that one down after paying Kolb. With the trust they show in Grimm, not sure OL, FA isn’t over yet. I believe they will take the best Athlete on the board depending on who is available. Everyone can wish all they want for any player, yet, come draft day, anything is possible. The next Patrick Peterson is who I want. No matter what position he plays!!!

42. By Andy K on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you think that the Cards are looking at the possiblility of drafting LSU CB Morris Claiborne?
    I think that a duo of 2 LSU cornerbacks Patrick Peterson and Morris Claiborne would be pretty good.

43. By Darren Urban on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

Andy K –

RE: Claiborne

Don’t see him on the board by the time the Cards pick.

44. By cardsalltheway on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

C’mon,
    Do a Darren Mock 1.0 now and a Darren Mock 2.0 ~ the day before the draft.

45. By cardsalltheway on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

John the draft guy,
    Richard Bartel, our 3rd QB is better than Tannehill.

46. By Mike Ellingboe on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

@John,

I’m not advocating that we take any of the LT’s likely to be available at #13, just saying arm length alone wouldn’t rule it out for me. Having said that, I do think Reiff would have to be in the mix if he slips that far (which I don’t think he will). Martin would be acceptable, if everyone else we talked about was off the board at that point (reminds me a little of D’Brickashaw Ferguson, in build and style). I think he develops into a very solid pass blocker but not much more than average in the run game.

I know Glenn looked the part of a tackle at the Senior Bowl (Upshaw felt he was the best tackle there), but I can’t put a guy who is only arguably the second best guard available in the mix with guys who played LT very well at the D1 level. Massie shows potential, but a red flag to me is he still plays RT in college, don’t know if he ever becomes a LT candidate. (I know, so did Tyron Smith but with Kalil there it had to be overlooked). Schwartz isn’t a guy I get too excited about. In the games I watched (admittedly, only a handful for them), Cal did play him at both tackle positions but, probably not coincidentally, each time he was placed on the strong side of the formation. Spent too much time on the ground, looked very awkward in space, missed a lot of downfield blocks, seemed to give up on a few plays (out of shape?), etc. Might be slated for guard by whoever picks him. Adams, physically, is a prototype for the position but questions about desire are never a good sign, plus if he washes out at tackle he doesn’t project well at guard. If there’s a sleeper at LT, to me, it’s Nate Potter from Boise State. I know questions exist about the Mountain West, but they had no trouble matching up to Georgia when they played.

However, in spite of that long-winded response we’ve got to get an impact player in round one, and to your point I see a lot more polished candidates at other positions this year. I think the board would have to get cleaned off pretty good for us to take a tackle that early, which I don’t see happening (especially if Tannehill manages to go #4).

47. By johnnybluenose on Mar 30, 2012 | Reply

drafting tannehill at 13 would make no sense at all. let kolb and skelton play this year and if neither is the answer then there will be some other qb coming out next year who will be just as good a prospect as tannehill is now. and, that’s all tannehill is…a prospect. i agree with John. bartel is better right now than tannehill and we need guys who can play now, at least the guy we pick in the first round needs to be able to contribute this year not two or three years from now.

48. By John the draft guy on Mar 31, 2012 | Reply

Johnnybluenose;
    So, next year, when everyone is yelling for us to move up to get Barkley from USC, remember you thought we had our franchise QB.

Under that logic, Lets just have Batiste, Brown and Snyder battle it out, we can get a tackle next year. Schofield and someone we sign can battle it out and we can draft a OLB next year if it doesn’t work out.

If you don’t believe you have a franchise QB, you need to get one now.

It is a moot point though, since Tannehill won’t be there. But for you and cardsalltheway think a journeyman 3rd stringer is better than a top 10 pick in this years draft, it becomes obvious you never have seen Tannehill play. For that matter, you may have not seen Bartel play either.

Mike;
    The Martin- Ferguson comparison is right on. I think that is why I am not that excited about him. Funny, a couple months ago I was saying we should look at Potter in the 3rd also.

49. By josh on Apr 1, 2012 | Reply

Hi,
    concerning the draft
    Darren you do a great job on your articles as well as your responses to the fans’ comments and questions. Barring no unexpected player like Morris C. falls to us, I think the top three players for the cardinals 1st round draft pick, if all three happened to be available at the time, should be: (my ranking is based off need for the cardinals as well as what I have read about these players from the “experts”)
    1. David Decastro
    2. Riley Reiff
    3. Michael Floyd
    Darren, what do you think of this ranking and would you rank them similarly for the cardinals based off your current knowledge of the players.

50. By Darren Urban on Apr 1, 2012 | Reply

Josh -

RE: rankings

I won’t pretend I could grade all of them. I believe the Cards would put Reiff first given their tackle situation. But it is hard to know for sure.

51. By R Robles on Apr 2, 2012 | Reply

Cool D, looking forward to it.