• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

A new uniform, not a new look

Posted by Darren Urban on April 3, 2012 – 11:48 am

Nike finally unveiled its new uniforms today in Brooklyn for all the NFL teams. Other than the Seahawks, teams didn’t undergo massive changes to their looks — and that included the Cardinals. (Some teams couldn’t even if they wanted to, which I didn’t know.) I’ve been trying to tell those who have been asking there wouldn’t be a big change, although there still seemed to be some that were disappointed. That’s not saying the uniforms aren’t different. From the Nike website:

– “The Arizona Cardinals have chosen to take full innovation in the Nike Elite 51 Uniform including Flywire technology to reduce weight and provide a lockdown fit over the pads. Keeping with their traditional design aesthetic, the uniform is completely engineered from the inside out. The new uniform focuses on creating a system where the baselayer, padding, jersey and pant work in concert with each other. A few of the new innovations include increasing sleeve articulation for better range of motion and integrating new four-way stretch fabrication to provide a streamlined shrink-wrap fit.”

So basically, it is tighter and lighter, which you can see in this photo gallery. (I’ve been informed that not every team went with the new fabric.)

For those wondering, the new jerseys cannot be ordered yet. Pre-sale through the teams begins April 15, but they can’t be shipped until April 27. The Cards’ team shops will have them April 26; All other retailers will have them beginning April 27.

P.S. And yes, the gloves will be available to the public, although I was told those won’t be out until September.

Tags: ,

48 Responses to “A new uniform, not a new look”

1. By Jesse Robles on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Now on to the draft…People were so hyped for nothing. Lets get hyped about an ACTUAL player playing, and hope we Draft a Defensive Player. If the Cardinals are the NEW Steelers, they should be taking a defensive player so they do not reach for just any OLineman, otherwise we will be in the same boat as Levi Brown, and the Cards really do not need to draft an OLineman that cant actually play for 5 years. The Cards need more depth on D, so no one can score on them. Plus they still got Feeley, straight AFC team, defense and kickers. Just venting and getting ready for the season!

2. By AL on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

I’m not sure about the new nike kit. I saw a picture of all the guys from every team wearing their new unis and I thought they all looked a little dorky (especialy Fitz)… Saying that though, the above picture looks pretty cool. Also the Seahawks kit is really nice (even with the neon colours).

Also the o-line guys will look a little strange in super tight fitting jerseys. Seems to me that you have to be as skinny as the guy in the picture to look good in the jerseys. The important thing is that it’s comfortable and doesn’t hinder playing ability I guess.

3. By desertspin on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Shrink wrap huh – not a pretty sight to see when it comes to the o-line . . . ?

4. By Dre on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Will they be all red all red like it shows or no. How about the alt black uniforms

5. By Chris Corley on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

I hope the away uniforms are all white with Red numbers and a red strip down the side of the pants. Get rid of the Red strip (wavy) on the Jersey. The Big Red look doesn’t need to have a bunch of waves and strips all over the Jersey.

6. By Darren Urban on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Dre –

RE: Uniform combos

All the previous color combos remain in play, including the black jerseys.

7. By TUCSTEVE on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

im a little disappointed but not much i was hoping for small changes. the all red is kinda ugly. but im ok with where they are at

8. By linda on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Hoping my son, Jamison Rice, will be wearing one of these in 2014!!!!!! He will be graduating 2013 from Orting High School, in Orting, WA.

9. By alan on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

They should have used Duece to model it.

10. By Bryth on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

- Darren –

Any idea what the weird hexagon thing is on the butt?

11. By siege911 on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Meh. I really like the design changes of the Seahawks. I was kind of hoping we’d get something radical like that as well.

12. By Rich K on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Lose the red pants. Have the O-Line model these unis! LOL “Faster” LOL Nike is such a joke

13. By Blake on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Darren- Do think it is possible down the road that cards could get a second helmet or/and a black pair of pants? I saw the seahawks combonations and the looked pretty cool. Kinda like ASU was this year.

14. By Darren Urban on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Bryth –

RE: Hexagon

I do not.

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Blake –

RE: Helmets/pants

Teams cannot have a second helmet. I haven’t heard anything about black pants, so I doubt it.

16. By jeffgollin on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

The helmet has kind of a bicycle style look to it.

17. By Jcaz50 on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Darren can u please talk them into a white or red face mask. Gray look rediculous if you ask me. Red would make it pop. I also second with Chris Corley.

18. By Ed Scaife on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Darren – Thanks for the timely coverage! I know this change is more about technology (and marketing) than anything, but I’m excited to expand my own wardrobe with this “new look” ;-) GO CARDINALS!!

19. By Fabian on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Wanted to see the Pro-Combat… not these tried looking old ones.

20. By joe67 on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Well, here I go again………..man those red uni’s are ugly…………….

21. By iBatman22 on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Guys, it’s a tailbone pad (butt pad). It’s part of the shorts that also hold the hip pads..

22. By norcalcard on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Bill Bidwill always pretty much said the team was never going to alter their look, and that he will always keep the traditional plain white helmets. I’ve always known he thought his opinion was the only one that really mattered and it’s confirmed every year when so many fans want some style (especially to those egghead helmets) but never come close.Not even to the face mask. I just hope when Bill Bidwill passes on that Micheal will show a little more love and appreciation to the fans and offer something else to their old Cards uni’s. I would imagine ONLY ol Bill Bidwill is the only guy on the planet who is so sentimental about the Cards tradition. The rest of us just try and do our best to root for them while trying to block out the 20 years of heartbreak and humiliation.

I personally would love a fresh new look for a fresh start for the Micheal B and Whiz era. Red helmets would be fitting for a new attutude!..

23. By CardinalSwagger on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Some people just complain to much.. It’s like listening to a baby cry. If you don’t like it GTFO!

24. By D on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Good news when a division rival loses their top tackler for them the last 3 years…and with Lofa not signed, wonder if they fill a need with Keuchly at 12th pick

25. By in fitz we trust on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

the jerseys are pretty much the same. they look good with a nike check. i would REALLY like to see the jerseys that had the arizona flag on the arm, with the blue stripe, all white with the red numbers. in my opinion, thats the best cardinals jersey that was ever made.

Darren, whats the rules on wearing throwback jerseys, is it just optional or do the rules change every year.

26. By Darren Urban on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

In Fitz –

RE: Throwbacks

I know a team is allowed a separate “throwback” jersey and helmet as long as they mirror something worn in the past. But I don’t know how far back a team has to “throw,” so I’m not sure circa 1994 qualifies. I don’t know if the Cards have even given it much thought.

27. By D on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Darren
    Your best guess on how AZ could sign OT Bell, V. Holliday, Haagans and their draft class?
    Restructure more contracts and /or cut some players?

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

D –

RE: Fitting in players

To do all that — and don’t forget, they have to find a punter too — they might need a combo of both. I am thinking we will see more moves this month. You’d think they’d have to do something.

29. By John on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Cardinal tradition since the beginning is the White Helmet with the Bird logo on it. I am glad they are keeping the helmet as is. I like it.

30. By D on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Since they don’t have too many depth guys to cut, I would guess a restructure of contracts to Larry F, Adrian Wilson and getting C. Campbell deal done to reduce his cap hit this year…but we all know by your previous story that restructures costs signing bonus $…

31. By Blake on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Darren- The Pittsburg steelers have their alternate gold helmet… And I think i speak for alot of people when I say we do need some more added to the black uniforms… Therefore suggesting another helmet or pants. I dont think the red pants will go with the black jerseys. Haha

32. By johnnybluenose on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

i don’t know why so many people seem to dislike our uniforms. i think they are quite nice, especially the red on red. if any team needs a re-do it’s pittsburgh, followed closely by tennessee….in my humble opinion.

33. By Darren Urban on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Blake –

RE: Gold helmet

The gold helmet is a throwback helmet, I believe. And those are allowed.

34. By stevedco on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Until Bidwill Sr. 100% retires there won’t be any major changes to the Cards uniforms.

He loves the tradition of the Chicago teams and the history of one of the older franchises. The 2012 uniforms and the 1920 uniforms aren’t that different.

I would love to see a major change similar the initial mock up Nike did that Dockett tweeted out a few months ago but ain’t going to happen any time soon.

35. By Tucson Cardinal on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

I love the Cards uniform and was relieved that Nike didn’t botch it. I dont want us looking like MLS, an arena football team, Oregon, or ASU (weak). Our uniforms are classy and look awesome.

Also, I dont like helmets with stripes on them….so I was glad to see our plain white helmets with the red bird on either side.

36. By MArk Moreno on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Darren, Are We(Cardinal’s) Interested In 7 Year Veteran DE/Dt Dave Ball? He’d Be A Good Addition To The Locker Room And Help out Guy’s Like Campbell Or Acho/Schofield?

37. By brad oneill on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

i Need those gloves for using my remote on sunday, hell i will wear them all week long not just for cardinals games but for switching between nfl network and and espn and cnbc.

38. By Darren Urban on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

Mark -

RE: Ball

I have not heard that name at all.

39. By bryan kruse on Apr 3, 2012 | Reply

I like the Cardinals uniforms now & welcomed the changes w/ the new bird logo in 2003. But …. I do agree that a diff’t helmet color or black facemask would complete it nicely. The #nikelaunch today was a little weak and didn’t show any changes other than material improvements.

johnnybluenose – RE: pittsburgh or tenessee change.

^those are the last teams that need a change. Pittsburgh has one of the more timeless uniforms and Tenessee’s baby blue w/ navy blue combinations are also one of the more unique that stands out.

If anything, the all blue NY Giants jerseys w/ gray pants is the MOST BORING and in dire need of change.

40. By Eazy E on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

I like them alot, but would have liked the NFL to let Nike take over and do the jerseys altogether and put that special Nike touch to it. Seahawks for example, got that Nike touch, those are nice I must admit.

41. By Corgon on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

All red rocks! Even the Hyphen looks scary in all red :)

42. By SteveG on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

I am stunned at the absence of excitement of these revolutionary garments..WE HAVE “ARTICULATED SLEEVES” PEOPLE!!

No more “inarticulate sleeves” These speak for themselves!!

Let the twitter sphere be agog with wonder!!

43. By clssylssy on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Interesting technology, but “shrinkwrap” is the best term I’ve heard to describe the new uniforms…LOL! I hate the Seahawks neon w all the feathers down the side and would think that having to focus on that mess for an entire game would be distracting and a little nauseating…kinda like motion sickness. Certainly, they don’t leave much to the imagination!

44. By johnnybluenose on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

bryan kruse. pittsburgh’s uniform may be timeless but it is just so blah. and the symbol on the helmet is nonsensical. and yes, tennessee’s is colorful but it should be worn by the cheerleaders not by the players. in my humble opinion.

45. By G.A. Fisher on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Looks like a waste, when you consider rugby players just play the game in shorts.

46. By William Barry on May 8, 2012 | Reply

I definitely like the all white helmets with the Cardinal logo on it. Go Cardinals!!!!!!

47. By Colie on May 13, 2012 | Reply

Cardinals should get black helmets with black facemask,and black pants

48. By Raj on Jun 16, 2012 | Reply

1975 uniforms are the best- white jersey and white pants w/red & black stripes, red numbers w/black outline…t metcalf, m gray, j hart & the o-line- great look!