Offensive line options

Posted by Darren Urban on April 4, 2012 – 4:33 pm

With the news Demetress Bell (I find it really weird he “fixed” the spelling problem but his Twitter account, which he controls, still says “Demetrius”) signed with the Eagles, the Cardinals move to the next step with the offensive line.

First, a word from offensive line coach Russ Grimm about free agent signee and versatile lineman Adam Snyder. “He was tops on our free agent list as far as offensive line was concerned,” Grimm said. “He’s a big physical guy, he’s smart, he has played a number of positions. Right now we have him penciled in at right guard but if we have to move it around before camp we’ll move it around.”

Snyder could play right tackle, but I’m thinking the Cards would rather keep him where he is. Bell would have worked in that regard, with Levi Brown being the other tackle. From here, the Cards can still draft a tackle — Reilly Reiff if he’s there, or Cordy Glenn, or maybe Jonathan Martin — and fill that spot. David DeCastro still is possible, but that would mean moving Snyder for sure. (They could go tackle (or guard) in a round later than the first.) I’m not sure free agency, with Bell gone, is a focus. For all those asking about Marcus McNeill, I’ve never got the sense they were interested, and his neck injury is a red flag.

The Cardinals also haven’t closed the door on a pair of their own free agents, right guard Deuce Lutui and/or right tackle Brandon Keith. Both of those players may end up on hold until after the draft, depending on who is chosen. At this point, it’s pretty clear that Brown/Daryn Colledge/Snyder/Lyle Sendlein will be four of the five starters. Obviously, who the other is will determine the landing spots for Brown and Snyder.

(It’s been pointed out that Jeremy Bridges has and can play right tackle, and if the season started today, Bridges would indeed play there. I expect the Cards to make a change there, however.)

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

41 Responses to “Offensive line options”

1. By Chris on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Demetress Twitter

I noticed the same thing. Sounds like some weird excuse to alter his name.. oh well.

2. By BKKCard on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Errm. Sounds like his folks just didnt know how to spell – i see this a lot in NFL player names BTW. Obviously Bell’s name is in reference to the Greek goddess Demeter – in which case it is spelled as Demetrius and pronounced de-MEE-tree-us. Spelling it “Demetress” takes it out of context in my opinion and his name should therefore be pronounced as it is read deme-tress.

3. By cards62 on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Cardinal Fans

With these offensive line options I think we better draft OL early and often later this month or my prediction is PAIN for Kevin and John. it does not matter who wins the starting QB job as Kevin and John will both be playing and maybe Richard to.

I think our OL was the weakest link last year, and QB play second. Season before, 2010 I think QB play was our weakest link and OL was second.

Here is to hoping we have a great draft or I see 2012 being an offensive repeat of 2011. Hope I am wrong!

Go Cards

4. By cobra on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Deuce Litui,

If you ever read this blog, please wire your mouth shut or lose weight with a trainer. Sorry, starting to remind me of Matt Leinart. Weren’t you a second rounder and Leinart a first. Must be the So. Cal. attitude. College is so over. Get it together, the team needs you!

5. By Clu on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

I know this is off topic, but whats the word on vonnie holliday? Hes good dline depth. Also, isnt it a given that we are taking a O-lineman in the first round now. My bet is on Cordy Glenn.

6. By Chris on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

We need to act like Belichick and trade back and try and get a 2nd round pick. My worst nightmare is that we draft for “need” and reach for an OT and have Levi BrownV2.0

7. By Erik M on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

On a Scale of 1-10 how bad, well not that bad, but do you think the Cards need an OT if Brown is Back and J Bridges can play RT ?

8. By Steve B on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

I would really like to see Deuce back I talked to him at the gym last week and he looks in incredible shape. He has a little bit of the nasty attitude on the line and I think we need that.

9. By Dalton Kates on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Darren -

who do you think the cardinals prefer out of Reilly Reiff, David Decastro and Jonathan Martin? Is there still a possibility of them going with Michael Floyd or maybe even Donta Hightower?

10. By Keith on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Kolb is a dead man walking it looks like…hopefully I am wrong for his future health sake

11. By Javi on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

darren now to talk about the opposite of the line, the defensive line, unless docket is willing to play nt, we need a nose tackle/defensive tackle ….will the cardinals look into their current roster, draft or free agency, what do you think?

12. By phibber on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

If Reiff is available at 13 I hope the Cards pick him. Anyone else just seems to be another Levi Brown picked way too high.

13. By Rich on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

they can also potentially trade a mid round pick for a lineman. thing is, without a 2nd round pick they can’t get an early tackle and receiver. I think they can start Bridges at right tackle, draft a receiver first round, and look for a tackle and interior lineman in 3rd and 4th rounds (reserves now – starters in a year or two.. They don’t need to draft a safety now that they signed sanders..

14. By Paul H on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Oh goody, we get the Raiders on a hot August night probably on a Friday or Saturday. That should be fun on the field and in the stands. :-)

15. By Cactus jeff on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Wow…you can throw best player available out the door, cardinals are going OL first round. At least they didn’t do another PR move and over spend for a Todd Heap type player. They must say up at night hoping Fitz doesn’t get hurt, they have no weapons.

16. By az1965 on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

A vote of confidence from Russ Grimm??? Doesn’t inspire confidence in the OL for me at least. He has failed in building a strong OL in five years and developing the talent. Also believe has still job with the Cards because he is friends with Whiz.

How many believe (raise your hand) that we will end up with Keith as RT.

17. By Darren Urban on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Erik -

RE: T need

I think it’s a large need. There’s a reason they have been looking for a new one.

18. By Darren Urban on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Dalton -

RE: preference

I don’t think they have even rated the OL yet. I can only guess, since it’s conventional wisdom, that Reiff would be higher than Martin. Not sure where DeCastro would fit. And yes, there is a chance they do not take an OL in the first round.

19. By Darren Urban on Apr 4, 2012 | Reply

Javier -

RE: NT

Not sure what the problem would be with Dan Wiliams and David Carter.

20. By Brent on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully Snyder plays better than he did for the 49ers. Profootball focus rated him as significantly worse than Levi last year.

21. By Matt in Philly on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Couldn’t agree more @Chris. I hope the Cards just take the best player on the board at their areas of need: WR, OLB, OT. Don’t reach for Jonathan Martin if Melvin Ingram or Michael Floyd is there.

22. By Andrew on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Thank god we can stop hearing people ask Urban about whether or not the Cardinals are going to sign Bell. It never seemed likely considering he was visiting other teams after being in Arizona.

Remember that no teams win the Super Bowl by being the free agency champs. The teams that add key pieces and draft smart are the ones that usually surprise everyone and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the Cardinals are one of those teams this year.

23. By D on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

I think the draft will play out like this:
    The best OT will go to MN
    I don’t see Buffalo passing on Reiff, second best Left tackle since they have a huge need at Tackle and they already spent alot of $ on the DL with M. Williams.
    That leaves the 3rd and 4th tackle on the board, which may not be worth being picked at 13.
    I see the Cards putting a value of top player being M. Ingram, OLB, then second M. Floyd WR. If both of those players are gone by 13 and if they can’t move down, I see them taking C. Glenn, OT over say a C. Upshaw OLB or the next best WR.
    I doubt theywould take DeCastro G or Kuechly at ILB if Ingram and Floyd are gone at 13.

24. By Andy K on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Are the cards looking at any Offensive Linemen in free agency? Or are they planning to address the O-Line in the draft?

-G Corey Hillard(DET), G Trai Essex(PIT),

25. By Andy K on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Brandon Keith isn’t coming back.

26. By Darren Urban on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Andy K –

RE: OLine

I don’t think they are shutting the door on anything, but I haven’t heard of any further interest, and I doubt they’d go after a guard at this point.

27. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

I don’t see the Cards picking anything other than OL in the 1st round. They have build thier whole off season on the premise that they will get a starting OL in the draft and to wait to another round is just too risky. And there will be plenty of quality options at 13.

The ideal would be to trade down. Cin would make a lot of sense for both teams at 21 and the draft points fit as well. Of course it takes two to tango and so I would assume 13 is where the pick will be.

For me here is the order of OL that might be available. I would be pleased with any of them.

1-DeCastro. Clear day 1 starter. Move Snyder to RT. Likely a pro bowler within the first few years. At least 10 years in the league. Don’t like picking a RG this early but DeCastro is really good.

2-Martin. Expereince and talent to start day 1 at LT. Move Brown to RT where he fits best and leave Snyder at RG where he fits best. Martin is a future 10 year starter at LT and you can’t pass those players up. I have read all sorts of so-called experts talk about how his stock has dropped to mid 20s. Go back and read those same experts in February and Martin was “incredibly athletic” and a “mauler”. Did they watch film or were they just guessing. They either don’t watch film then or they are just making stuff up to write about. Either way they hurt thier credibility by changing thier tune constantly. Nothing has come up since february that would change his stock. He has no character issues. His 20 bench at pro day is fairly typical for a LT. (Reiff-23, Adams-19, Massi-22). Martin is a great pick at 13 and would probably be the best fit for the personel the Cards currently have. The idea that Martin is like Brown is also a non starter. Keim and team will set the value not Todd McShay. (Brown has started every year he has been in the league and looks to continue. He has his flaws but so do most. The main reason Cards fans get worked up is because they passed on Peterson. Fair point, but I remember I thought Peterson was a little too risky because of his injury history so I try not to cast stones if the Card think tank missed on that one-but I digress.) Martin does well in run and pass blocking. He is not a mauler like Brown was billed as coming out of college, but he is solid. He does well in pass blocking, better than Brown (at least for the previous 4.5 years). He is more desirable and better than Bell with no injury history. He is not Joe Thomas or Kalil but he is a solid starter at LT. I would jump at him at 13. Some have said he is not mean enough. I do not see that on film. He does his job well. That said, not everyone is Bridges. Fitz is the nicest guy on the field but no one gets worked up about that because he does his job. Mean or nice Martin consistantly did a great job on film. I sound like a Martin apologist. I do not think he is a perennial pro bowler but he could be in the top 15 NFL LT right now. How do you not grap that kind of player.

3-Reiff. Most have him ahead of Martin but for me he gets pushed around too much. His Iowa heritage is getting him more credibility than film does. His shorter arms are a little bit of a concern at LT but I don’t get too worked up about it. He could play either LT or RT. I would be fine with Reiff. Although not impressive, he is consistant and uses good technique most of the time. He just needs to anchor better. It is a pick-your-preference with Reiff or Martin. I lean towards Martin but Reiff will start in the NFL for many years as well.

4-Glenn. I would put Glenn at RT and leave Brown at LT. He played LT in college and did a good job. He would be my pick if the Cards trade down. He is athletic and massive. The classic road grader and he fits well with the Cards power-run scheme. With him and Snyder on the right side they would be quite a run pair. Glenn is athletic enough to pass block. He has a huge upside (excuse the pun). That said, he probably would take a few games before he would move into the starting rotation so expect to see Bridges for a little while. But once he is there I thiink he will be a long time starter.

28. By Wilson_Slams on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Hey Cards Fans! Come join our online Cardinals community at http://www.reddit.com/r/AZCardinals

You too Darren!! We could use some more intelligent people to join in our Cardinals discussions!

29. By Kofari on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Darren:

Cards Should Sign Marcus McNeill And Look Some Where Else In The Draft.Cards Got Good Athletic Coaching To Stop The Injuries He Been Threw In His Career.Please Cardinals Take a Shot At Him

30. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

@Chris,

Agree with your thinking, and Belichick would be the perfect trade partner for us (our #13 for their #27 and #48), but what do you figure the odds are that he’d make that trade?

Of course, it hasn’t gone unnoticed in their neck of the woods that he’s been better at stockpiling picks than he has at turning them into impact players.

31. By Dave Harris on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Whats wrong with Leonard Davis, for the Cards OL?

32. By D on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Mark in Chandler, good write up on the tackles. I think if M. ingram is there at 13, they will take him at OLB. If not, I would take an OLineman over any other position, even over Loyd at WR. I think AZ is fine with the WR’s and TE’s, Kolb just needs more time and comfort in the pocket. He has the talent at the skill positions to do well. Now, they could take a speed WR in the later rounds, which I am okay with.
    If they do get a chance at M. Ingram, I don’t think the drop off from a 3rd round OT and the 3r or 4th OT available in the first round, either way, if it’s not Kalil from USC, then most likely either Bridges or another free agent journey man tackle will most likely be starting the first 4-6 weeks while the rookie learns and improves…

33. By Darren Urban on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Dave –

RE: Leonard Davis

I don’t know if he has anything left.

34. By cdubbbbbbb on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Do you think we are trying to re-sign Haggans and Holliday?

35. By YmmyYames on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

I honestly believe the Cards covet Glenn. He’s a versatile player that has logged plenty of game time experience. I think they value what his abilities more than almost any other offensive lineman in the draft. I would be quite surprised if they pick a WR before round 4. The WR depth in this draft is there.

36. By Al on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Do you know what the intro song is from the Zoom videos you have posted? I tried using a couple different apps on my phone to ID it, but it can’t find it.

If you know what it is, that would be great. Thanks!

37. By Darren Urban on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

cdubb –

RE: Haggans and Holliday

I think they’d like them back, yes.

38. By Darren Urban on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

Al -

RE: music

It’s on a industry music site.

39. By Chris on Apr 5, 2012 | Reply

@ Mark in Chandler… Great read buddy, I really think it was Martins bench press that hurt him…. But you have a valid point with the fact that Rieffs and Adams were similar even though Decastro Kalil and glenn had alot more 34, 31, and 30. Personally I hope we draft Decastro because I think he will be the best Available but since Synder is more of a G that puts us in a tough spot hoping he can play tackle or drafting another OT later in the draft which then screws us cause we just gave synder a decent amount of money to ride the bench…. But If Martin is strong enough to handle LT you must take him at 13. Great read again looking forward to see more of your post in the future

40. By Chris R on Apr 6, 2012 | Reply

Hi Everybody,

I’m new to the blog. I’ve read up on everybody’s idea that offensive line help in the first round is crucial. I don’t believe that. I think the cards should trade down in the draft. Pick up a late 1st rounder and second rounder. Go wide receiver first round. LB second round. Sign Deuce Lutui. Move Adam Snyder to Right Tackle. 3rd and 4th round fill in more gaps with strong safety and DE. I believe that thee cards are going to start Big J at QB over Kolb because he’s more mobile. He steps up in the pocket more so than Kolb, and he moves that offense very well in the second half of the games he’s started. Coach Wiz just needs to coach him up to do well in the first half of games he starts, and we’ll be alright. Go Cards!

41. By Eazy E on Apr 7, 2012 | Reply

We are walking a slippery slope with Levi at one tackle spot and who at the other now that demetress is gone.