A midweek minicamp and other offseason dates

Posted by Darren Urban on April 9, 2012 – 3:55 pm

The new collective bargaining agreement changed the offseason, and that has been crystallized now that the Cards have officially announced their offseason dates. The strength and conditioning part of the offseason, which would have been well underway in the past, doesn’t begin (as has been mentioned many times) until Monday, April 16. Veterans no longer can be asked to work weekends in the offseason, so the minicamp that used to kick off the summer on-field work the weekend after the draft instead will now be the final work of the offseason. Those dates are June 12-14, a Tuesday-through-Thursday (and that takes some getting used to.)

Shrinking the allowed organized team activities from 14 days to 10 will mean OTAs are limited to May 22-24, May 29-31 and June 4-7.

As a quick refresher, the minicamp usually has five practices over three days and is mandatory. OTAs are one on-field workout in a day, for about an hour, and are voluntary.

The incoming rookies do get some extra — and initial — work, with a rookies-only minicamp May 11-13.

No training camp dates yet. Sorry.

(And before you ask, there has been no announcement on Fan Fest, although with minicamp not until June, it won’t be happening in May. I’ll put out further details as soon as I know.)

Tags: , ,

32 Responses to “A midweek minicamp and other offseason dates”

1. By John on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

When does the nfl announce the 2012 regular season schedule? Do you think the cards will be in primetime a couple of times?

2. By Paul H. on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Sounds like no fan fest this year. Unless it’s at night on the last day(Thursday) maybe at UOP. But how much would it cost to fire up the AC for that?

3. By Darren Urban on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

John —

RE: Schedule

I expect it to come out next week some time. And I expect at least one prime time game. We’ll see.

4. By cardsfaninalbuquerque on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

just wondering if and when they will have the red and white day in flag??? I live in albq., nm and really need to start planning my vacation. Me and my son drove out there last year and had a blast. This year planning on taking the whole famiily and staying in flag for a couple days. Also do you think they will have it in the dome this year?? I know the were working on the dome last year. Any info would be awesome!!! IT IS GOING TO BE A GREAT YEAR THIS YEAR!!! I CAN FEEL IT!!!!!GO CARDS!!!!!

5. By Darren Urban on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Albuquerque —

RE: Red and White

As I noted, the training camp dates have not been released. The Hall of Fame game could change the Red/White dynamic this year as well.

6. By ringlaterra on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Random question: Did Adrian Wilson ever have surgery for his torn bicep? I was under the impression he was going to need to after the season, but then I never heard anything more after the season ended.

7. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

When are Training Camp dates usually announced Darren? By league rules, Cards can start 15 days before first preseason game which would put that around July 21st, no? Last you reported, Whiz wasn’t keen on starting early.
    And any more word on a practice bubble facility? It has been talked about in past offseasons, but haven’t heard anything recently.

8. By Chris815 on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

do you think the cardinals will be interested in taking oswiler in the 2nd?

9. By Darren Urban on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Ringlaterra –

RE: Wilson bicep

Adrian said right after the final game he did not need surgery.

10. By Darren Urban on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Chris 815 –

RE: Osweiler

No, I don’t see them taking him.

11. By Darren Urban on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: camp/bubble

I’d expect to know about the dates hopefully by late May. Judging by Whiz’s previous comments, I’m thinking camp around July 25.

As for the bubble, M. Bidwill said it was still on the radar: http://blog.azcardinals.com/2012/02/03/some-cards-thoughts-from-michael-bidwill/

12. By jasonm on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

we can all keep ignoring it ,but Skelton needs to be our starter next season ,please stop the madness.

13. By Blake on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Darren
    Is it possible that the cards could get to practice in training camp with another team? “alla” the Titans?

14. By CreditCard on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

You get to rub elbows with players, coaches, GM’s for the Cards and other teams. Could you please rank (in your opinion) the Cards holes theyneed to fulfill.

My opinion is Offensive line, strong side LB, outside LB, safety / DB, and still better QB.

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Blake –

RE: camp practice

I do not expect that.

16. By Darren Urban on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Creditcard –

RE: opinion on needs

Tackle, pass rusher, receiver.

17. By Chad D. on Apr 9, 2012 | Reply

Alright Darren, you might not believe me but I just saw Adrian Wilson on Hawaii Five 0. He looks mean and actually had a line. “You ready to go back?” was all he said, but I am thinking he is going to be nominated for an Emmy. He was amazing. Please thank him for his offseason appearance, and let him know that his conditioning is second to none. My 13 year old son about went through the roof when he noticed him. Then he yells, “DAD, YOU GOTTA COME HERE!!!”. It was worth it. The season (obviously) can’t get here soon enough.

18. By kkfan on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

@jasonm, you do realize that Kolb had no off season, and comming to a completely different type of offense do you not? Why so quick to write him off?
    I ‘ve watched Kolb play in games in collage and when he was with the Eagles .
    ( in the few opportunities he got there, sitting behind McNabb for three seasons) And he played very well each opportunity he got.. All he needs is to feel comfortable in the system. Something he certainly didn’t get last year with no off season to speak of. I think too many times fans expect miracles when there is no way one can happen given the circumstances at the time for Kevin.

The wins/losses are never just one players doing. There are 10 other players on the field the same time as the QB. Regardless to whether it is Kolb or Skelton. They have roles to perfect as well. So stop putting all the blame or all the praise on one guy. They are never the SOLE reason a game is won or lost..

Considering he had no off season last year. In a new system. New coaching staff, new team mates to build a chemistry with, he didn’t play all that poorly when he was in there. yes, he threw some costly INT’s, and a boat load of sacks, but he also proved that he could become a very good QB if given a full season to develop a chemistry with the players. If he was able to put up decent stats in the brief time he’s been with the organization and was able to play, under very trying conditions. Just imagine what he might be able to do with a full training camp and now having a full year in the system.

If they give him protection he will prove to you critics that he is a guality QB. One that can lead a team to a championship. Andy Ried didn’t use the FIRST pick of that years draft on him ,because he didn’t think he could become a franchise QB. So many of you sound just like the Eagle fans where Kolb is concerned. They though had a different alterior motive to dislike him. His being drafted meant the soon departure of their Icon McNabb. I’m still trying to understand why the intense dislike for him by Cardinal fans. Surely he isn’t accountable for all the organizations past failures.

19. By D on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

If AZ takes a non Olineman at 13 and can’t move down, then depending on who they draft at 13, they couuld need to draft 2 tackles in rounds 3-5. If DeCastro is still on the board and all other high value players are gone, I could see them taking DeCastro,moving Synder to Right Tackle and probably bring back B. Keith as backup. Still needing to draft at least 1 Off tackle later in the draft.

If they draft a pass rusher or WR at 13, then I see them taking at least 2 Off tackles later in the draft to develop–a couple names to watch for is Mitchell Schwartz from CAL or Zebrie Sanders from FSU

20. By azqfan on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

jasonm, we are not ignoring it, you are just wrong. Skelton has a lower qb rating, worse td/int ratio and no stats better than Kolb’s. And please do not give me won/loss record. PP2 won 3 of his starts, and the defense improved from 31st to 14th. I am ok with a qb competition, but until Skelton learns to not turn the ball over, and miss wide open guys high, he rides the bench.

21. By Mike in Mesa on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

azqfan

Kolb did not win 3 of his games. He got knocked out first set of plays one game and Skelton came in and won the game. Yet Kolb gets the win. So he was really 2-6 and Skelton was 6-2. And I’ll take wins/losses any day over qb rating.

22. By TUCSTEVE on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

MIKE IN MESA.

wins/losses is a team achievment . not the production of one player.

23. By Cards2012 on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

If Decastro/reiff are gone by #13 I say we grab floyd and maybe trade up into the second round to have a shot at a decent tackle?

24. By Soares20 on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Glad to see that most people here understand that Skelton didn’t win those games for us single handedly. Mike in Mesa and azqfan need to look at how the two actually played not the win loss record. Don’t get me wrong Skelton CAN be the guy but right now he just isn’t ready. Give Kolb a chance, he had NO OFF SEASON AND A FEW DAYS TO LEARN AN ENTIRE NEW OFFENSE BEFORE THE SEASON BEGAN. Just take a step back and let Kolb do his thing. We will truly see what he is made of this year.

25. By Marlon Skrusinski on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

Skelton didn’t win any games. The team did.

I don’t know why is so complicated to understand that.

This is football, not tennis.

26. By Craig on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

To be fair to Skelton he also has not had a offseason, came in here as a rookie and last in line. Then the lockout and no offseason for him. I am not one to say that Kolb is a bust, but given the time I think Skelton has more intangibles to win games. Pocket presence and poise you just can’t teach. Just like the way he looks on the field. Big and not afraid, shakes off tackles and runs when he has to, not because hes nervous. Hope he gets a fair shot at starter.

27. By John the draft guy on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

This Skelton/Kolb argument just stresses again that we don’t have our franchise guy.

No one is wondering if Rivers, Brees, Brady, Rodgers or even Palmer will have to battle to keep their job. Why? Cuz when you have your guy, everyone knows it. When you don’t know, you do what the Jets did. When you don’t have your QB, it seems your team is stunted till you get him. No position is more important in todays football.

With that being said, these QBs can win behind a good team effort. But, neither guy can put this team on their shoulders and carry it. This is why we went after Manning.

Also, This offseason thing is a joke. How did Andy Dalton or Cam Newton do with no off season? Injuries killed Kolbs season just like Philly. If he is to become the guy and step up, he needs to be healthy for 16 games. But no off season? I’m not buying it.

If Kolb/Skelton doesn’t grab the job, all of you will be yelling for us to trade up for Barkley next year.

I believe we should start the process a year earlier. Ryan Tannehill

28. By sunday on Apr 10, 2012 | Reply

we dont have qb for now.I would rather the team solidify defense with their 13th pick instead of trying to fill a position.Just go with the best player on board.

29. By Mike in Mesa on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

TUCSTEVE

And yet they lost 6 with Kolb and won 6 with Skelton. Wins are a team effort too. Once again you don’t get into the playoffs with a qb rating. I think the league looks at wins/losses? Correct me if I’m wrong on that. Skeltons the better qb. Poise in pocket, clutch plays, more wins, scrambles for positive yards, more upside than Kolb.

30. By Mike in Mesa on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

So what your telling me is Skelton didn’t win 6 games and Kolb didn’t lose 6 games, the team did. And your happier with the 6 loss qb than the 6 win qb. If thats the case why aren’t you clamoring for Derek Anderson back. He didn’t lose any games the team did. You might want to check out this article by the way. Jason Smith at nfl.com. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8281b796/article/quarterback-rankings-eli-manning-tops-list-heading-into-2012 He has Skelton beating out Kolb for the job. Of course he’s not a homer fan buying into the Whiz hoopla.

31. By Scott H on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

While I don’t necessarily disagree with the idea of TEAMS winning games, it is absolutely ridiculous to discount the play of the QB during any game played in the NFL. It may be an obvious example but just look at the Colts last year. Pretty much the same team as it was for the last several years…only without Peyton Manning, they went from a perennial SB contender to 2-14. Well, why wasn’t the TEAM capable of winning more games if TEAMS win games?

And I find it utterly, in-explicably ridiculous how some anti-Skelton people just looooove to throw all the numbers out there showing that Kolb is statistically just as good or better then Skelton. And THEN they insist that wins and losses don’t matter. Um…right. Yeah, let’s ignore THOSE numbers. After all, who cares about those???

Ya know, most players will never REALLY tell you what they think. Like in the movie Bull Durham, they really do need to speak in cliches most of the time. But…if I am a football player, and I have a choice between taking the field with a QB who went 1-6 in the first 7 games and the QB who went 6-1 in the next 7…are you kidding me??? Yes, I have a job to do either way. But if I feel the TEAM is better with the latter QB and many of my teammates feel the same way ( regardless of what they’ll say publicly ), then aren’t we likley to be a better TEAM simply for that reason? My point is, simply, that the QB and the team are not seperate entities. So, let’s stop thinking that we won or lost ANY games because of one or the other.

NO QB ever won a SB with a lousy team around him. And the teams that have won SB’s without a great or at least a VERY good QB are very, very few and far between. You might name one or two but that ain’t enough to support an arguement.

I just want to see a fair and open competition between the QB’s we have, namely Kolb and Skelton. Let the better QB win and then let that guy play. Simple. I don’t care who it is. What either one of them did last year is far less important that what they WILL do this year. Bickering over last year’s stats is a waste of time at this point.

2. Apr 15, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | Campbell will wait for now