Talking draft

Posted by Darren Urban on April 11, 2012 – 3:52 pm

With the offseason workout program finally beginning Monday and the ramp up to the draft charging forward, tomorrow is a good time for me to hold a pre-draft live chat (you can access it right here) tomorrow — Thursday — at 1 p.m. Arizona time (4 p.m. Eastern). I’ll do what I can to advance the topic. Of course, there are other things we can talk about. Aaron Wilson tweeted today that the Cards are down to four figures worth of salary cap space as of Wednesday. As I have mentioned before, cap space can be a fluid thing, but clearly the Cards will have to make some moves before they sign draft picks or even more free agents, in all probability.

Tags: ,

35 Responses to “Talking draft”

1. By Chris on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully it’s a sign in confidence that a deal will be done with Calais. Need to keep this defense together as it’s panning out to be the strongest side of the ball for us.

2. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

To me the intersting contract is Stewart Bradley’s. Restructing might only bring a couple mil in space. Cutting him would not bring much more space. However, trading him would open more space. I like Bradley and would like to have him on the team. He is the clear heir-apparent to Lenon, but can the Cards afford to pay him as much as he is getting paid as a reserve? And playing the Mike? I wonder if the Cards are exploring thier trade options for Bradley? Wouldn’t surprise me if they were.

3. By Eazy E on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Wow! 4 figures cards really? We gotta get that way up, we ain’t even done with free agency.

4. By cdubbbbbbb on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

Mark, I think the hope was that Bradley would become the starter and develop into the player he was before in Philly. If that happens, we would have a very good starting SILB locked up on a very nice contract…. thats IF he can get back to that level of play. And if not, we are paying an average SILB pretty good money. So the way I see it is if he starts ballin like he used to, he is a bargain, if he doesnt he is overpaid. It was a risk vs reward type signing.

5. By PJ on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

New To this site.Love it. Im a lifetime New York resident and a life time Cardinal fan; the days of Jim Hart annd Mel Gray. Thanks for keeping me updated. D looked much improved. Hopefully Kolb and Fitz get connected. Excited about ’12 campaign.

6. By Scharf on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

@Mark in Chandler – The Cardinals just acquired Bradley, why give up on a potential star so soon? He signed a 5 year deal which usually means he is here to stay.

7. By LD14 on Apr 11, 2012 | Reply

@ Scharf-5 years, 30 Million and only about 30 tackles. Struggling to adjust to 3-4 D. He’s been another disappointing FA signing this team has brought in. Whiz and company seems to have done so each year.

2008-Laboy
    2009-McFadden
    2010-Anderson/Porter
    2011-Bradley

We need to draft better and stop overpaying these FA (Snyder..). Scary to see up pushed up against the cap that much. Good news is that we were 8-8 last year with Ryan Williams and Kolb gets a full offseason to adjust.

8. By Ezz on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Should we expect anymore cuts then? Who would you say is at the top of the list if that does indeed happen?

Oh and thank you for your answers, they are much appreciated.

9. By Relay-TV on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Who said the Bidwills never spend any money.

It seems that this season at least, they’ll spend the most in the League.

Hopefully the cash is well spent.

10. By Chris Hughes on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

@PJ we dont like Newyorkers around here lol so you might want to keep that to your self when talking to AZ sports fans. Just a friendly suggestion cause you said you were a lifetime cards fan otherwise the bashing would have began with my comment.

@Mark in Chandler, I’m Really big on Bradley I think the no offseason hurt him and Kolb, If I didn’t think bradley would improve alot I would def think about the trade especially if it pulls in a good draft pick not looking for another player unless its a T and no one trades good T. Anyways very interesting thought process to free up cap space. But One must ask himself this as well Who would we be freeing the space up for? No good LT out their, no FA I really want to bring in. If we are trying to make room for Haggans I love him but much rather keep bradley and I think we will be ablt to work out our Rookie contracts no prob the 13 pick wont cost us much and we dont have a second rounder so Unless this helps us get a better player I keep bradely and look to make smaller tweeks here and there to sign our draft picks besides that I think we are done in FA. LETS GO CARDINALS!!!!

11. By D on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

As tight as Mr. Graves is with information to the local writers of this team, I am skeptical that anyone posting on the net would know how much cap space the Cards have available.
    One deal, completing C. Campbell’s contract would create plenty of space and remember, this is not a team that get’s their deals done quickly, so they have a few months after the draft to get everything done.

12. By Darren Urban on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Ezz –

RE: Cap moves

There will have to be cuts and/or restructuring. If they can get something done with Campbell, that too would help.

13. By Darren Urban on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

D –

RE: Cap space

Cap space isn’t proprietary. The NFL and, more importantly, the NFLPA has that info. That’s usually how these things reach the public, an agent is willing to share it.

14. By D on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Those damn agents!. I think Bradley could adjust as ILB, but if they do have to let him go, Quan S out of NC was thought by many to be a good ILB draft pick who was on the PS last year

15. By DontTakeLoses on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Good points, but don’t give up on Bradley… still might show upside.

Noticed picture of Futures contract Guard Stewart.. lean is not a word that comes to mind… some of these young OL.. just don’t get it.

16. By JJP on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Quan is a great player and his team struggled his senior year because most of the other seniors were kicked off the team for something, I don’t remember, but there were about 10 starters, and most were on defense. He still had a GREAT season that year which I think shows alot for that young man!

He could really be an impact player this year like Acho was last year in his rookie season. Lets give these young guns a chance.

17. By Rufus on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

This is first time I have ever heard the Cardinals having salary cap problems. Who says ownership can’t change?

18. By Javi on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

darren, if you were rod graves or coach whiz, and justin blackmon and even riley reiff were still on the board by the time the cardinals picked. Who would you select?.

19. By Peter in Canada on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

This whole piece simply points out the importance of drafting well so that young underpaid players can take the place of highly paid vets. If the draft pics have an impact then you can avoid cap problems.

20. By ArsenalD on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Darren, do you think max hall will be brought back, or maybe andother backup brought into camp via draft(6th or 7th round pick)?

21. By Darren Urban on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Javi —

RE: Pick

If it was between Rieff and Blackmon? I think I would lean toward Blackmon.

22. By Darren Urban on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

AresenalD —

RE: Max Hall

Hall will not return. I would expect a fourth quarterback at some point yes.

23. By Cardinalchris on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

It would sure be a nice problem to have if Blackmon and Reiff both fall to 13, but I doubt either one makes it there. Both of them could make a significant impact. The defensive player I hope the Cards are high on is Dont’a Hightower. If one of those three are not available at 13, I hope there’s someone the Chargers are dieing for available to trade down.

24. By Cactus jeff on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Chris Hughes
    Besides we are done in free agency…..tell me went it starts!
    LD14
    Ryan Williams recovering from patellar tendon rupture. He will struggle, it is not about how severe the injury is, instead, it is about how long they must maintain a non-weight bearing status. Ryan Williams injury will take a long time to come back from, because like micro fracture in basketball, the explosiveness will not come back for a couple years.

25. By maham on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Darren – I haven’t read or heard anyone talk about this, maybe you have and I haven’t seen it, but I have to wonder where Tannehill is on the Cards’ draft board. If for some odd reason they have him ranked in the top ten I wonder if they pull the trigger in the event he’s available at 13.

26. By rufus on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Are DeCastro or Floyd not worthy of the 13th pick?

27. By Luke Strauss on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Stewart Bradley needs a good off-season to develop under Ray and the rest of the team! Will be a good investment.

Also, Darren, we see on NFL.com and other sites that draft analysts come up with mock drafts and assessments on college players. Do you think the front office takes any notice of these analysts or do you think they just brush these views aside and focus solely on their own assessment.

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Maham —

RE: Tannehill

No idea, but I think it’s a moot point since conventional wisdom says Tannehill will be off the board by then. I know that bothers John the Draft Guy, but it is what it is.

29. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Rufus —

RE: DeCastro/Floyd

They could be. Don’t see why not.

30. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Luke —

RE: Mocks

I think they look at mocks, yes, as a tool for the overall evaluation of what other teams might do.

31. By AZ Cardinals Rock on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Cap space scares me a little. I know if we pick up young players in the draft we can cut some of the vets later but I hope we can make it all work. As far as the draft, i hope we look at Potter of Boise and Adcock of OSU for tackles later in the draft, then we could still get the linebacker we need in the first round and the drop off from Martin and Glenn will be minor. I also like the one mock I saw where we picked up Kellen Moore of Boise with a seventh round pick, he may be short but he is a winner no matter how you look at his record.

32. By maham on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

My wish list:

Trade down and draft the beast Kevin Zeitler from Wisconsin in the first round. He will clear the lanes for Beanie. We should start running the ball like Wisconsin as well – we have the NFL versions of their RB’s – provided Williams fully recovers.

Gain second round pick via trade down and draft Janoris Jenkins in the second. He can lock up with any NFL receiver; Him opposite of PP means no double teaming required and more Blitzing. Our players can keep the kid straight; we just can’t leave him unsupervised with Darnell.

After that go nuts on BPA including quarterbacks.

33. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

@maham,

“Our players can keep the kid straight.”

I wish that was true, because I agree with your thoughts about his playing ability. Problem is, he’s a repeat offender, who, by accounts I’ve read, sees nothing wrong with his behavior. Multiple positive drug tests, and four children with three different women, without the benefit of NFL money and freedom? That tells me he’s looking at a very brief career.

34. By maham on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

@ ellingboe
    I completely agree with your comment; which is why I am hopeful he will fall to us after the first round. At s minimum we will enjoy his brief career; at the the most, we will witness The Cardinals Defense that people will talk about for years to come.

35. By AZ Cardinals Rock on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Don’t reward stupidity with cash even for one year. Let someone else deal with his problems. As far as the draft, I would love to see Upshaw or Kelchy But if not then even the wide out from Notre Dame. As far as third round, Nate Potter from Boise, and Fourth round is Levi Adcock from Okla. State. Nice base for an O-line for about 10 years. 5th round get a safety to groom behind Wilson, 6th round a corner and with the second 6th round pick Kellen Moore from Boise St. He will be another Drew Brees, and seventh round a back up D-lineman who can cover all three positions. Awesome draft that covers all bases. Cards dominate the west for years to come. I believe the Walter mock draft is close to this and I really like the versitility of it.