Official offseason work around the corner

Posted by Darren Urban on April 12, 2012 – 3:47 pm

The Cardinals can finally begin their offseason strength and conditioning program Monday, a date pushed back three weeks or so from what it used to be because of the new collective bargaining agreement. I’m sure it drives John Lott crazy to have waited this long, but this is the NFL world in which we live, at least for the next 10 years. Some thoughts on where the Cardinals are when the workouts begin:

– The dates may have changed and the time frame may have shrunk, but, other than the minicamp that is now in mid-June, all these workouts in the offseason are still voluntary. That means everyone won’t be around for all of it. Still, I expect a good turnout, for many reasons.

– That doesn’t mean everyone will be around. I don’t expect franchised defensive end Calais Campbell to come in until a new long-term deal is in place. He’d have to sign his one-year franchise tag tender offer before he could do anything anyway, (apparently I am wrong about that) but I’d be surprised if that would happen. I haven’t heard anything new on the contract talks, although they are ongoing.

– Quarterback Kevin Kolb will be here. I’ve already gotten a bunch of questions about what Kolb has been doing with teammates. I don’t think it’s been anything yet, but the vast majority of players haven’t yet. That’ll change now (the new rules allow QBs to throw to receivers without defenders the next couple of weeks before things morph again.) I don’t know why some question if Kolb will be willing to put in the work this offseason. I expect it, and as I had mentioned before, I think it will help him when it comes to how he plays this season.

– A couple weeks ago, Adrian Wilson admitted he wasn’t ready for all this to start yet. That’s not uncommon for an 11-year veteran. But it’s not like Wilson or any of these other guys have done nothing since the season ended. They aren’t stupid. They have all been working out somewhere. It’s just that now, they can do it together here at the Tempe facility, with Lott actually directing them in a program.

Tags: , , , ,

66 Responses to “Official offseason work around the corner”

1. By samir on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

I heard that Campbell is being very greedy and is asking for a contract larger than Dockett’s is there any merit to these claims?

Also If Campbell is signed long term would that give the cards enough cap room for their draft picks contracts

2. By joe holst on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Is that Jeremy Bridgews?

3. By Darren Urban on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Samir –

RE: Campbell

I don’t know what Campbell is asking for. He is in a prime position, though, as a 25-year-old coming into his prime. This is probably going to be his big contract. Get it when you can.

As for the relief it could provide, it probably could yes, but it depends on the structure.

4. By Darren Urban on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Joe –

RE: Photo

Levi.

5. By Scott H on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Official off-season work just around the corner…yet, September seems light years away! Ugh. Hate this time of year. Seems like hockey and baseball go on forever. Football season? Comes and goes SOOOO damn fast. Even with FA and the draft taking place, I have always dreaded the months of Feb through June. Feels like wandering through a dessert that never ends…

6. By Omar Andrade on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

“Please stay with card’s Curtis Campbell ur awsomes”!!

7. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Any way Campbell shows up at the voluntary workorkouts and feigns an injury, ala Boldin and Dockett in the past?
    Nice pre-draft chat earlier today Darren but I took heed when you stated that one player (like Porter and Berry beforehand) or so, may be “forced” to restructure. Kerry Rhodes perhaps?
    I’ll take if you don’t answer, that I’m correct in my assumption. (I think I know how you’ll play this.)

8. By WildCard on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

Darren who do you think will be the next to be either released, resigned or restructured, in order to clear cap space for draftee’s and Campbell?

9. By samir on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

i heard Adrian wilson told ron wofley that he would be the last cardinal to wear 24. I know both had multiple pro bowls. In your opinion, do you believe wilson has done enough with the cards to have his jersey retired?

10. By MArk Moreno on Apr 12, 2012 | Reply

woooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh lets get the 2012 season started GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. By pedsazfan on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Is there any word on Stephens-Howling? Why is he taking so long to sign his tender. Didn’t they extend him a tender for a higher round pick?

12. By D on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Draft: Two teams to watch in the draft before the Card’s pick will be Jacville at 7 and Buffalo at 10. If Jacville takes Ingram, Buffalo may opt to take M. FLoyd over their need on the Oline which should leave Reiff available for AZ at 13.

13. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands —

RE: Campbell/Rhodes

The difference with CC and Dockett/Boldin is that those other guys were under contract. Unless he signs his tender, he isn’t under contract and is under no obligation to show up for anything.

As for Rhodes, the problem there is that I think there could be a market for Kerry if he were released. It’s a fine line a team must walk.

14. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

WildCard —

RE: Next up

No idea. All the guys will bigger salaries are candidates to restructure.

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Samir —

RE: Numbers retired

The Cards very very rarely retire a number. The guys in the Ring of Honor don’t have their numbers retired necessarily. I absolutely think Wilson will be a Ring of Honor guy. I do not think he will end up having his number retired.

16. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

pedsazfan —

RE: Hyphen

RFAs can entertain other offers until April 20. Besides, what is the need to sign it right away, especially when he hasn’t been around?

17. By truths4all on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

At this point just before the official offseason workouts begin, are there ANY reports that Kolb has been working out on his own with the receivers in gaining any mastery over the passing offense as John Skelton has been reported doing or just as Payton Manning has been documented doing in Denver over the past few weeks? (Manning reports that this type of offseason work lays the foundation for future successful plays that wins games and that waiting until training camp is far too late to really prepare for real success.)

18. By NYCardinals212 on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

truths4all,

Oh, so snarky! Neither Skelton nor Manning (I could be wrong on Manning) are allowed to workout (ie. throw and catch) with other players at the team’s facilities. In fact, the only reason that there is a “report” of Skelton working out with receivers is because Kent Somers happened to eat his lunch by the park where he spotted them.

Who knows what Kolb is doing. There is no need to infer laziness or inability.

Secondly, and you obviously will disagree, ranking an entire offense or defense would be less instructive than zeroing in on group performances on specifics jobs. I think you will see that this offensive line does pretty well in certain areas — the run game is an example. Also, another year in the system can only help the comfort of the quarterback in the pocket (inversely, the comfort of the line in protecting the quarterback). Consequently, maybe the sacks and injuries will decrease.

Lastly, the Cardinals “going cheap” is a direct result spending money previously. This is the salary cap.

Maybe I am an optimist, but you, certainly, are a pessimist.

19. By NYCardinals212 on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Rather, e.g.. I guess I’ve been using i.e. incorrectly. No one cares, Andy. No one cares.

20. By Chris Hughes on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Darren ~ I understand you haven’t heard anything new on the Campbell talks but what do we know right now? It sounds like he wants the long term deal now even though he said was fine with the tag earlier this year. I don’t buy that because he hasn’t signed it. They could still work out a long term deal if he did sign it. So I am a little concerned right now. Campbell doesn’t seem the type to hold out but to me this leads directly to a hold out. How far off could both sides possibly be? I hope we are not playing the you weren’t a first rounder and your stats aren’t at the top of the league game. We absolutley need to lock him down long term he is a top 10 DE in my opinion pay the man his money

21. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Chris —

RE: Campbell

We know he has been tagged, we know he has yet to sign the tender, we know he would make about $10.7M for that tag without a new deal, and we know he’s looking for a high-dollar long-term deal. I can’t tell you what each side is trying to get done. Franchise tag guys have little leverage, but not coming to offseason stuff because they haven’t signed the tender is one of them — Drew Brees will likely do the same, among others. Once they sign the tender, they are under contract, and then they are subject to the same guidelines as anyone else under contract.

22. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

@truthsforall,

A few questions for you, in regards to your final paragraph:

“BTW, does materially improving your offensive line from the 32nd rated unit mean you rehire an underperforming left tackle at a cheaper salary and replace your right guard with a reserve from another team? Does this mean Kolb and Skelton are going to get sacked and hit a lot with a bunch of hurries and probable injuries this coming season? If not, why not since it looks like the Cards are gong cheap and will draft rookies to learn the NFL by OJT?”

Under what rating was our OL rated 32nd? According to NFL.com, we were 19th in total yards per game last season. Not great, but far from 32nd.

Replace our RG with a reserve? 49’er world universally reports their OL play improved significantly once Snyder became their starting RG in week 4. With all due respect to Hadnot, how has the demand for him been since he was released?

Going cheap and learning by OJT? Yes, so cheap we have no salary cap room, and two starting G’s signed in free agency. While most of the readers on this site complain that Whisenhunt is too cautious with rookies and playing time, you have examples of when they were thrown to the fire before they were ready?

Could Kolb and Skelton get sacked and hurried this year? Can’t think of any QB’s that won’t. How much depends as much on their own improvement as it does with our OL.

23. By truths4all on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

NYCardinals212

OK, you so your words prove that you are an optimist who blasts anyone who has an opinion contrary to yours, or you are better known as a closed-minded idiot who has continued to swallow the party line while feigning arrogance over all others who dare ask questions outside of the lapdog blind faithful.

OF COURSE the workouts have to be elsewhere, as Manning and others have demonstrated. While Kolbie boy must be your favorite, the rest of us would have preferred info that he was diligently working out for the betterment of the Cards instead of snake hunting, popping primers or spending time in other good old boy games (I guess you could care less since your are such a friggin expert on all things-betcha you never played a snap of sanctioned football past peewee). The Cards should get huge amounts of off-season work by Kolb (for $7 million).

As for your assertion that the offensive line did pretty well in the run game, there you go again demonstrating your abject ignorance. One monster record setting game against the poorest run defense in the NFL still was sufficient to lift the Cards run offense out of the League’s bottom 25%. The poor pass and run performances are the reasons the Cards offensive line graded out to 32nd last season in the NFL.

BTW, being cheap is being stupid when there are options to improve your team proven and solid players and yet you allow the Cards to keep placing the team’s future on unproven rookies, no matter how many of them have that golden “can’t miss” sticker the teams place on them. Of course you remember (if your dementia allows you to) that the Cards tooted that Brown was indeed the future monster franchise left tackle the Cards have haven’t had in years. Yeah, that turned out well and how have they actually improved their O-line so far?

Go ahead and keep apologizing for the Cards; evidently 8-8 or even less records are OK with you. But as for the rest of us, we want to see the team, the coaches, and the players making the investments and time needed to not only stay competitive, but seriously compete for another Super Bowl. BTW, you should try to remember that Warner worked every year off-site with his receivers on their own time in the off-season. The legit question still stands, what is Kolb doing to master the offense and try to lead the Cards to success? (NYCardinals212 – your words show that you don’t have a clue, so don’t waste our time.)

24. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

@NYCardinals212,
    “Rather, e.g.. I guess I’ve been using i.e. incorrectly. No one cares, Andy. No one cares”

Was this directed at me? I didn’t realize I had the reputation of being a grammar policeman.

By the way, I would have said truths4all was being snidely obtuse more than “snarky”, which usually has a humorous connotation.

25. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

NYCardinals212, AndyStands —

RE: “A smart alecked, condescending, know-it-all? Yes. But sentence-structure-misspelling jackass? No.”

I’ll second this.
    ;)

26. By wsphxcardsfan on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

funny how we Cards fans are so addicted to football, we search this site and Darren’s fine blogs for any, absolutely any piece of information we can get our hands on.

step 1 is admitting…

27. By cdubbbbbbb on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

I think the issue with re-signing Calais to a long term contract is this: We run a 3-4 defense in which DEs have a limited role and responsibility, yet we have two premier players at that position. I have heard you talk about not investing to much money into one position ala WR, and in this case we would be investing greatly in a position that is really low in terms of importance. The only way I see this resolved, and this is really just my opinion, is by ultimately having to release or trade one of them. Lets face it, a 3-4 team cannot invest $80 million dollars into their defensive line, that money is supposed to be invested in the LB corp. This is just a case of having to much talent on our DLine which is not a bad position to be in. Do you feel the same?

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

cdubb —

RE: DL investment

I think you make a valid point.

29. By Chris Hughes on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

10-4 thanks darren!

30. By Chris Hughes on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Mike E 100% with you on your comments to truth. You were right on the money on everything.

31. By truths4all on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

@Mike Ellingboe

1. Go to NFL.com and look up 2011 TEAM OFFENSIVE LINE stats. Oops, I stand corrected. The Cards O-line did not finish last at 32nd, they finished 31st out of 32 team. You are looking only at the passing stat summary.

2. According to ProFootballTalk’s statistical analysis, Brown and Keith were rated over the past 3 years as being in the bottom offensive tackles in the NFL.

3. According to ProFootballTalk’s analysis, Adam Snyder’s poor performances also landed him in the bottom offensive tackles. Yes, I know the 49ers switched him to RG, but they then later benched him due to much better play by their current starting RG.

4. Ask yourself, if Adam Snyder’s play at RG really sparked the overall production of the 49er O-line, why would they let him walk? Isn’t a player who raises the level of play of his teammates really, really valuable? (think Anquan Boldin). I only hope that Snyder has that invaluable mean streak and he makes the 49ers really regret on two occasions next season that they let him walk.

5. It is true Whiz always say he won’t play rookies until they are ready (BTW, was Max Hall ready?). With that in mind, and penciling in Colledge, Sendlein, Snyder at RG, and Brown at either LT or RT, the only other candidates to fill the vacant spot are Batiste, Bridges, and undeveloped guys like Stewart and Young. Unless the unproven guys suddenly play like all-pros, how can anyone reasonably expect the Cards offensive to be a real threat to other teams? Where are the quality backups that every team needs during the season?

6. One of the basic foundations taught in football since Pop Warner is your offense is only as good as your offensive line. To illustrate, Dan Marion was one of the best QBs ever to play, but his teams never won a Super Bowl because their offensive lines were never strong enough. That is also something I look forward to finding out in Denver as Manning discovers if his O-line will be good enough to keep him healthy.

7. As for your last point. The idea is NOT to keep allowing your QB to get hit or hurried. The goal is for the O-line to protect him and give him time to do his job. If you get hit enough and you never have enough time to read defenses and pass, you eventually will get snake-bit and become like Matt Leinart (or remember Tim Rosenbaugh), a real talent that mentally became too conscious of getting hit to properly execute his job as well as end up as the poster boy for how easy QBs can get injured (the more hits, the greater chances your QB will be out).

The bottom line is the Cards need an upper tier O-line performance for its offensive attack to match its defense. It looks like the Cards are still hoping for some unexpected breakout year by some so-far average player or a drafted rookie (Whiz has even gone on record that they were betting on Brown and Keith producing break-out years over the past two seasons) to rescue their O-line.

32. By Larry White on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

I feel like I’m in a soap opera.

33. By Andy Kwong on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Are the Cards interested in any OL or WRs in free agency right now? Are the Cardinals waiting talking contract with LaRod Stephens-Howling? And is the cards organization looking at former card receiver Bryant Johnson? Is LaRod going to be be back on the team because it doesn’t look like the cards are interested?

34. By NYCardinals212 on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

AndyStandsUp,

No, my name is Andy too. I naturally referred to myself by my name, not my screen name. I didn’t mean to bring you into this.

I have to disagree on “snarky”, though. I think it is pretty straight forwardly defined as “overly critical”. I could see how it could have a comedic feel to it, though.

35. By NYCardinals212 on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

truth4all,
    I didn’t “blast” you at all. I certainly didn’t call you an idiot (as you did me), and I freely admitted to being an optimist. I DID correct the facts. The fact is, you and I have no idea if Kolb has been practicing with his receivers or not. He has not shown himself to be lazy, so I choose to believe that he has been doing everything neccessary to lead the team this coming season. The only arrogance would be in thinking that you know things to be different.

I think this is where we have a fundamental disagreement, though. You put importance on rankings. I do not. Here is an example. The Cardinals are ranked 17th in running yards per attempt (4.2), and the Bills are ranked 5th (4.9). Top 5 is considered really good, and top 17 out of 32 is considered, by definition, average. But, look at it this way. 0.7 yards is about 2 feet. That is less than a stride. Yes, this is a “game of inches”, but 2 feet is a whole lot different than saying they were 12 spots worse in the rankings. I guess I care more about what the rankings mean, not the rankings themselves. By the way, I can’t seem to find them 32nd in any offensive category.

No, 8 – 8 is not good enough for me, but it is more than satisfactory when they rally from 1 – 6. It is also pretty good when it is only the 6th non losing season since 1988. Its all about perspective.

If you speak in hyperbole, expect others to refute you. It doesn’t make me “arrogant”, and I am not “blasting” you. Are you even interested in conversation?

36. By cdubbbbbbb on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

@Truths4all

Niners never benched Snyder, they benched Chilo Rachal and started Snyder, after that their line improved drastically.

37. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

@truths4all,

Good point about Hall, at least for the three games he started, but generally speaking we’re not prone to starting rookies. The stat I looked up wasn’t under their offensive line category, it was total offense. I get leery about outsiders judging offensive line play, since we know they aren’t aware of how each play is designed – total yards is more objective, and we can’t say that number is more a result of our skill players, as only one of them would keep a DC up at night.

I do share your concern at RT, but differ in that I think guys like Batiste and Bridges are good back-ups. If Reiff falls to #13 I think our OL will be solid enough; otherwise, it will be a juggling act over there again (at RT). No doubt in my mind that Snyder will be a significant upgrade over Hadnot. I hear what you’re saying about Rosenbach & Leinart, but they aren’t the best examples you could have come up with, as they were two the of softest QB’s in recent memory. The point I was making is if Skelton and Kolb master the offense & make quicker reads the odds of getting sacked/hurried go down significantly. No matter how good the line, a QB is going to get hit and harrassed, especially in today’s pass happy game and 3-4 defenses. On an unrelated note, Marino and Miami’s inability to win a SB was due to their lack of a run game and their defense. He took snaps from the greatest center of all time. If the rest of the line wasn’t up to snuff it would be hard to know, since his release made it nearly impossible to sack him.

Won’t question our offense needs to catch up to our defense, but am more prone to believing our skill players are in more need of upgrading than the OL. We’re really thin outside of Fitz and Beanie. Will see if Williams and Housler step up to balance that out, but to your other point not having Q around has proved pretty painful.

38. By Mal on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Wow, when the Great Football God speaketh the TRUTH FOR ALL, I guess us peewee snake-hunting closed-minded lapdog blind faithful arrogant-feigning abjectly ignorant friggin stupid clueless idiots (did I get them all?) should just shut up and feel honored that we’re being enlightened with THE TRUTH.

39. By NYCardinals212 on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

One last thing, I promise.

truth4all,

You were dead-on with one assumption: I have never played football. I’ve never even put on a helmet. Though, I have painted a few. I am an artist, living in Manhattan. I spend my days painting nudes (oh my goodness, men too). A few years ago, I threw a football to my little brother, and I tore my rotator cuff. I don’t even watch television, but for Cardinals games. I AM AN ARTSY LITTLE WEIRDO. But, I do know a little about football, and I have been a fan of the Cardinals since 1988. There is no need to impugn my knowledge of the game or insult me. We simply disagree.

40. By Darren Urban on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Andy Kwong –

RE: questions

1. Probably not now, before the draft.
    2. Yes. He has been tendered.
    3. No.
    4. Yes.

41. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 13, 2012 | Reply

Let me see if I got this straight.
    Regular posters on here include Andy K, Andy M, Andy (evidently, no last initial needed), myself and now an Andy Kwong and a NY guy named Andy, who has to use the FBI protection system to make comments on a Cardinals board.

Think I’m going to change my name to Casey or something.

42. By drummer-1 on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Did Cardsalltheway change his name too truths4all?

43. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

@cdubb,

cdubb –

RE: DL investment

I think you make a valid point

Agreed, a very valid point. Goes back to the debates we used to have over us running the 3-4 instead of a 4-3. To Horton’s credit he’s ended that debate for me, but to your point we do have a ton of talent on the DL that appears on the verge of becoming prohibitively expensive. Will be curious to see how that plays out over the next couple of seasons.

44. By theuglitruth on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Anyone that thinks the DE position in a 3-4 defense plays a limitied role doesn’t understand the 3-4 defense. Without premier DE’s, the Linebackers are ineffective.

45. By theuglitruth on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Anyone that thinks the DE position plays a limited role in a 3-4 defense is just plain uninformed. Without an effective DE & NT, the linebackers are ineffective. If your statement were true, DE’s wouldn’t be flying off the draft board on the first selection day for both 3-4 & 4-3 defenses. They don’t grow DE’s on trees fellas.

46. By cobra on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

@ drummer – 1,

Re: truths4all,

That’s hilarius, I think you may be right!

47. By stevedco on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

So was Peyton Manning’s Oline in Indy? Ah right, except for Saturday pretty bad.

How was Warner’s line when he led the Cards to the SB?

QBs make their lines, lines don’t make their QBs

48. By cobra on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Still not sure if the cards trade out of 13th pick, yet if they did drop to a very late 1st round or early 2nd round pick, WR Stephen Hill from Georgie Tech looks really impressive. The kid is off the charts at the combine. He may still need work on his routes, but I can see him blowiing by alot of corners with 4.2 – 4.3 speed and he jumps like Fitz.

49. By Cards4ever on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Do you see the Cards trading Cambell after he signs his FT offer? Is that even possible? We already have Dockett. The kind of money CC is asking for and the money DD makes seems too much to invest in a 3-4 D-line.

50. By Chuck 1 on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Speaking of Casey, I wonder what happened to him.

It’s been about two years since he has posted on this site.

Apparently, he became too disappointed with what Graves, Keim and Whiz were doing, couldn’t take the criticism that he received, will read Darren’s blogs and not comment, or roots for another team now.

51. By shawn on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

thanks for the article darren i hope we take a look at possible getting floyd despite his off field issues everyone makes mistakes and im sure he has grown from it and could mature really well here. everyone says that people deserve second chances, heck i know we dont like to talk about t but fitz had a problem and he was forgiven so i think we should look hard at him if hes there i dont think reiff will fall to us and i dont rank any other ol that high at 13 maybe if we trade back, but maybe if ingram is there but i see more bust in ingram then i do in floyd

52. By Cactus jeff on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Talk of restructuring Kerry Rhodes contract…hmmm….could they be thinking about moving PP to safety so someone can cover Vernon Davis and then draft a CB with the 13th pick?

53. By Al on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Scott H,

I totally agree with you.

54. By Darren Urban on Apr 14, 2012 | Reply

Cards4 –

RE: Campbell trade

No, I don’t see that at all.

55. By louis on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

If they can’t sign Campbell both g.m. and coaching staff should be fired because they let good players go to other teams and they are too cheap to get someone else.

56. By johnnybluenose on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

if i had to choose between decastro and floyd at 13 i would take decastro. he would be a fixture on our o-line for years, maybe switching to centre when lyle moves on.i think you can still find receivers in the latter rounds and we still have to find out if stephen williams can play.

57. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

@theuglitruth,

Not saying they’re not important, but in the salary cap era it’s probably not realistic to have that much money committed to that position. The Steelers starting DE’s will account for approx $6 mil against their cap in 2012. Right now, with Campbell being franchised, he and Dockett are around $17-18 mil.

To your other point, the DE’s coming out of college, typically, are converted to OLB’s, and it’s college DT’s that are usually moved to DE when drafted by teams playing a 3-4.

58. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

@Cactus Jeff,

Not following your reasoning about Rhodes. By restructuring his contract, I take that to mean they’re using his projected $5 mil cap number to get us back into position to be able to sign draft picks. I’d see where you’re going with it if he was about to be released (as opposed to restructured), but even then I wouldn’t see the wisdom in moving our most promising player to a less impactful position.

59. By Sigmund Freud on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

My dear Casey-

Everyone knows you became Chuck. It was easy to tell because Chuck kept beating the same old dead horse. But guess what — Chuck is still Casey, and the horse is still dead.

60. By Matthew on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

Darren, kind of off topic. However do you think in the maybe 4th or 5th rounds the Cardinals have any interest at all in Vontaze Burfict?

61. By Darren Urban on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

Matthew —

RE: Burfict

As I have said a couple of times, including my chat last week, I don’t see the upside being worth the trouble. So no.

62. By azfancolo on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

I still like Don’te Hightower with his speed and intensity man that guy would definetly be a force to reckon with

63. By William Barry on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

To Mike E.:

I’ve been following Cardinals Football since 1967, and I also listen to NFL Field pass, and the Cards each week. If I’m not mistaken, Rob Housler was wide open on numerous occasions last season, and therefore, either DeCastro would be a great pick at 13 (Pro Football Weekly has him drafted later in round one to another team)…however, I would like to see a good WR to compliment Fitz….and ProFootball has Michael Floyd rated very highly….Also, lets not forget, we did not see Ryan Williams, who is a superb talent, play one down last year….I think Ryan will really surprise this year, and will even make Beanie a better player.

2. Apr 13, 2012: PFT: Cowboys ready for ‘next step,’ Romo says
  3. Apr 13, 2012: PFT: Saints’ Benson could be buying Hornets | Times of News
  4. Apr 14, 2012: Calais Campbell likely won’t show for offseason workouts – Pro Football Zone