Campbell will wait for now

Posted by Darren Urban on April 15, 2012 – 5:31 pm

With many of the Cardinals gearing up for the start of voluntary workouts tomorrow morning, it doesn’t come as a surprise defensive end Calais Campbell will hold off until his contract situation is resolved. Campbell received the franchise tag in early March, one of 21 players across the league to be tagged.

Asked if he was planning to come this week, Campbell said in text message “Not until I sign a deal and that hasn’t happened yet so hopefully soon but not yet.”

It is certainly not unique for tagged players to not show. Franchised guys like Saints QB Drew Brees, Bears running back Matt Forte, Patriots receiver Wes Welker and Ravens running back Ray Rice are among the tagged players not expected (or having said straight out they aren’t coming) at offseason work. The Cardinals and Campbell have been talking about a new long-term deal for a while now and that hasn’t changed.

It’s tough not to see “hopefully soon” from Campbell’s message as optimism; there is still significant time to get a long-term deal done before the July 16 deadline. Strength and conditioning may start tomorrow, but the Cards don’t get back on the field for football work until May 22.

(And then again, Campbell didn’t get any at-the-complex work last offseason either, and 2011 turned out pretty good, right?)

Tags: , , ,

19 Responses to “Campbell will wait for now”

1. By Stewart Badly on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

2. By UC,CaseyIsatRaGeDY on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

Any expected players that won’t show up (other than Campbell) in the John Lott Olympics, that you know of Darren?
    And I better not see any photos of helmets on that would provide VERY stiff fines, BTW.

3. By straightedgerevenge on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

MAKE THAT DEAL ALREADY!

4. By Eazy E on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

We need to go ahead and pay him like dockett and move on. 10-12 million should do it, maybe more.

5. By Kurt on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

Calais will put in an All-pro campaign once he gets back on the field

6. By Scharf on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

Really hope Campbell reconsiders, I would rather see him trying to exceed what he did last year by attending workouts. Like you said – Campbell didn’t get any at-the-complex work last offseason and it turned out pretty good. I can’t wait to see what happens when he has that kind of work. I know he wants to get a deal done, but most of the players that holdout don’t have a good year. (At least from what I’ve seen. *cough* CJ2K *cough*)

7. By Shermanem on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

Please sign him back to a realistic contract. Im a huge Cards fan from Oregon and I love watching us compete against the league. The 90’s were horrible but we have grown leaps and bounds since “The Whiz” was hired keep some players for him to work with. Dont let this be another “Q” moment I miss him too.

8. By Darren Urban on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

UC,Casey –

RE: players

No, I do not know of anyone else, although I don’t expect every guy to show up every day.

And kudos for taking me through commenter history.

9. By Brent on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

I would like to see this deal done sooner than later – especially since all parties seem to want it done. No need to let it drag on and risk emotion making a bad decision later.

10. By Chris Hughes on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

SIGN HIM LONG TERM ASAP!!!

11. By wsphxcardsfan on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

SHOW HIM THE MONEEEEEEEEY!!!!!

12. By johnnybluenose on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

i like campbell and i hope he gets a good deal but a deal that is good for both sides. we need to have money to keep our other good players whose contracts will be coming up for renewal in the next few years. it’s one thing to sign guys to expensive, long term contracts and it’s quite another thing for the team to be able and/or willing to honour them. and i really don’t know why guys are consistently irritated when they are tagged.. it sure would not hurt my feelings to be told that i would be paid $7 to $10 million for a season and, if i continued to perform at a high level, i could expect to earn about the same money for more years, either here or someplace else.

13. By Dallas Cardsfan on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Hey Stewart,

Are you more comfortable in the defense now? I really liked how you played in Philly and I would love to see you turn the corner and pour it on this year. Have a great camp!

14. By BS on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

“By Stewart Badly on Apr 15, 2012 | Reply

Bad move on putting the frinchise tag on him, what we could have done is put a first round tender on him just like the Pitsburgh Steeler did with Wallace. We allready have Docket making a ton of money, we can’t have two high priced DTs in a system (3-4 defense) were the LBs are the playmakers and the ones that put pressure on the opposite QBs. We have NT David Carter that can be moved to DT in case a team was willing to give up their first round draft pick for Calaias Cambell wich I doubt, becouse Wallace is a playmaker and nobody is giving a firts round draft pick for him. Trade Cambell for Wallace.”

I just wanted to let you know this is a stupid idea from a uninformed person. First off, a 3-4 defense depends on the three down lineman more than anyother position because you are taking on 5 O-linemen with one less player on D. There job is critical in stopping the rush and without 3 key playmakers the entire scheme will not be effective. Second off, the nose position is not like the DT’s they are diffrent players from mentality to build. Nose tackes need to be gigantic and unmovable to plug up the hole and DTs need to big and agial to get pressure on the QB……Learn something about football before you try giving up a key componant of our D for a one trick pony WR like Wallace

15. By eyeshield21 on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

I personally don’t want Calais back if he’s going to be greedy.

16. By wayne on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

8 Million a year and thats as high as I would go, 5 years and a 8 million bonus adds up to 48 million for 5 years, now the Cardinals could offer him more years, say 7 years at 8 million plus the bonus is a hefty 64 million contract.

If he’s asking for 10-12 million a year, thats Fitzgerald money, I would let the door hit em in the “ars”
    He’s very good but not great.

17. By Scott H on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Damn…hate to be simple, but doesn’t it just seem like we could avoid this issue of holdouts every season in the NFL ( the distractions, the annimosity, the demands to be traded, etc ) if the NFL would just raise the damn salary cap so teams had more money to spend? Yeah, I know, really simple. Maybe idiotic. Perhaps even completely un-realistic. But…at the same time, the NFL has created this monster. So, they should feed the monster and keep it happy. Seems like EVERY year, there are teams that just can’t keep a good team together because they can’t pay more players what they are truly worth.. It hit the Cardinals really hard after the 2009 season. And THAT was a shame, considering how long it took to finally HAVE a team like that.

I’m not advocating for higher salaries. They are already far enough out of line. I AM advocatiing for teams to have a larger salary cap so they can pay MORE players what they are worth and KEEP more cores together.

yeah, I know…simple. And naive. And it probably ain’t happening.

18. By Mark B on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

Why do I have the feeling this is going to end bad? Outside of the Dockett and Fitz signings, the Cards have done such a wonderful job in attempting to keep talented players. The front office is always “confident” they’re going to sign someone and have them remain a Cardinal, but seems it rarely happens. When I think back to how the Cards handled Boldin and Dansby I want to puke and this attempt to get a long term deal done just smells the same.
    Really a shame the Cards paid that roster bonus to Kolb and didn’t just let him go. A mediocre player at best is being paid huge dollars and players like Campbell see it and want to be paid for playing well. Pay him.

2. May 1, 2012: Nine NFL teams facing contract hold-outs from star players « Late Night Football