Levi wants to “set the record straight”

Posted by Darren Urban on April 16, 2012 – 8:43 pm

Levi Brown is not unaware. When he first re-signed a month ago, he mentioned his feeling of “unfinished business” in his reasoning of returning.

Then Monday, Brown reiterated that thought, pointing to that as the main reason he wanted to come back. The left tackle (he also repeated that he planned to be the left tackle despite speculation he might end up on the right) also acknowledged his “up-and-down career.”

Then Brown said what will be the quote to note for 2012: “I need to prove what I am capable of and set the record straight.”

It was interesting to hear Brown’s thoughts on passing on the chance for a fresh start. When it was suggested he could have gotten away from all the talk — OK, criticism — that has followed him in Arizona, Brown was realistic. “There are always outside opinions,” Brown said. “I’m sure if I would have gone somewhere else, someone else would have said the same things.”

It makes sense. In Arizona, his career continues. He’s already dealt with most of the slings and arrows. Going elsewhere just would mean a rehashing of everything, the draft vs. Adrian Peterson, the ups and downs. Now, it can be, in theory, setting the record straight.

Tags:

23 Responses to “Levi wants to “set the record straight””

1. By brad oneill on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Good for him, as a guy that has been critical of him in the past, I totally respect a guy who comes out and faces up to the critics, doesnt blame anyone or anything else and just comes to work with the intention of making it right.

the truth is life would have been easier on him if he stepped out to a new team, he has gotten better and would be starting from where he is at today, a solid player who just happened to have a slow start to a promising career.

If he picks up where he left off, the cardinals will be a better team and that is all we are looking for.

2. By INSOMAN1ATIC on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Good to hear Levi say that, I’ve always thought he has gotten an unfair amount of flak.

3. By straightedgerevenge on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

believe it when i see it

4. By WildCard on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

is it just me or do adam snyder and college seem similar

5. By AZ Cardinals Rock on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

I truly hope Levi has turned the corner and last season wasn’t just a “uh-oh my contract is up and I need to perform’ season”. I am still leary of his level of commitment to the team vs. himself. I would not have given him more than a one year deal, only for motivational reasons. Keep the pressure on and make him perform every day. Personal challange “PROVE ME WRONG, LEVI”, I truly hope you do and that this is the beginning of a truly awesome career and year for you. Go Cards all the way, Win and dominate!!

6. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

The most underappreciated player on the team. Had far more reasons to leave us than Dansby and Rolle did, but didn’t. I wonder if his critics ever take into account the QB’s he’s had to block for (outside of Warner), or the fact he’s started every game over the past four seasons? I kind of doubt it when we’re hearing calls for unproven/injury prone FA’s who haven’t accomplished half that task. Looking forward to watching him (and everyone else) build on their strong finish from last season.

7. By Chris Hughes on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Maul em Levi!!! We beleive in you!!! Work hard this offseason and everyone after that. You have the skills now use them to their full abilities!

8. By Judy on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

I have never bad mouthed Levi,as some Cardinals fans have.I wanted him over Adrain Peterson.I hope and pray that he can and will shut the critics up for good.Go-Cardinals,Go-Levi.

9. By georgiebird on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Levi is a fine LT. With all the speed rushers in the NFL today, just about every LT is getting beat. And Levi has been a very durable part of the OL. The only reason so many are down on Levi is that the fragile Kolb requires a LT that NEVER gets beat.
    What a disaster it was to resign Kolb- you would think that Whiz would want this horrible trade behind him. I guess Whiz wants this trade rubbed in his nose a little more-until Kolb gets it right- no way.
    I wish the AZ Cardinals had the smarts shown by the StL Cardinals-the two franchises are as different as night and day.

10. By MIKE G on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, Hope all is well! Nice to see the players in working with John Lott. I’m glad Levi returned to the Cardinals. Every team has their scapegoat when a team struggles and Levi is that guy. In some ways it is unfair. Certainly Levi has struggled at times and has been moving around changing his position on the offensive line which is not easy. The funny thing is when he plays well– no one seems to recognize him and give him his just due. He is durable and does not get hurt and I think he will have a solid year–it takes time to flourish at left tackle. Certainly if we draft a rookie out there it would take him time to be solid at that position. Hey Darren–Are you a fan of every NFL team playing a Thursday game?? or do you think it is a little overboard especially asking players to suit it up after playing the previous Sunday(quick-turnaround)???

11. By beardinals on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Please prove us all wrong, Levi.

12. By SavannahJGreen on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

I think as we have all seen that great players are not always great men, but Mr. Brown is willing to show his character while achieving his potential. I have been a part of hiring employees who bill themselves as the answer to the problem. I have met far fewer people willing to take a step back to prove that they are actually capable of what was expected of them as opposed to opening the want ads. Thank you Levi for your continued commitment to the team.

13. By ben on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

CANT WAIT TO SEE THE MAN KICK SOME TAIL AND FINALLY MAKE HIS FIRST PRO BOWL, GOOD LUCK LEVI BROWN
    GO CARDS

14. By George on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Talk means nothing. His play will determin weather it was worth bringing him back. As a fan, I want him to play well. But, I am skepticle.

15. By dan on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

He’s been playing better, its not like he’s a bust.

16. By KYLE on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

darren,

you think levi has finally turned the corner as a left tackle based off of the last 8 games? or did he just play better because he knew his contract was up? maybe he can keep it up all season this year

17. By S Radomski on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Brown just needs to keep his but onside until the snap! I hate when we get an offsides called in a crucial situation and it’s him….again! Ugh! Pay attention and yes, prove me wrong, please!

18. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Mike G —

RE: Thursday games

I think the league is taking things into account with the short turnaround. At least I hope so.

19. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Kyle —

RE: Levi reasons

I wish I knew. No way to be sure.

20. By johnnybluenose on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

it was levi’s misfortune to be drafted immediately before adrian peterson. had he been selected just prior to say, jamarcus russell, levi would have been spared a lot of grief. as far as i’m concerned he’s a good player and we certainly need all the good players we can get as well as continuity on the o-line. this was a good re-signing.

21. By Tucson Cardinal on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

That’s acting like a pro. Go get ‘em, redeem yourself man. Stoked for the season! Cards are gunna ball hard!

22. By Ron Sellmeyer on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Human turnstile.

23. By Eazy E on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! LT Hell naw! Stick him at RT where he was actually decent. He deserved the criticism he got and is getting, HE WAS PICKED OVER ADRIAN PETERSON, THE BEST RB WHEN HE IS HEALTHY! TOP 5 Player Overall.