Players return — and Kolb is ready

Posted by Darren Urban on April 16, 2012 – 11:18 am

I’ll have much more in a homepage story later, but as expected, Kevin Kolb was one of the many Cardinals to show up for the first day of voluntary strength and conditioning work this morning. And as expected, he talked about being the QB here in the aftermath of the team’s pursuit of Peyton Manning. Kolb was matter-of-fact about the situation. It happens in the business, he said, teams trying to get better. His one request was better communication from the team — not that he didn’t talk to coach Ken Whisenhunt or the front office at all, just that it come sooner.

“I just said, in the future, if you can just communicate with me, I can take it, if this is the route you’re going,” Kolb said. “I’d just rather hear it from (Whisenhunt) than the ticker. And he agreed, and that’s how relationships grow.”

Kolb acknowledged the chase for a different quarterback will probably motivate him, but he also said he has plenty of other things to motivate him. Not a whole lot has changed since the last time Kolb held court in front of his locker the day after the season. The Manning scenario was just another detail.

“It’s their right to go look wherever they need to look,” Kolb said.

“You get fueled by a lot of things,” Kolb added. “It will add a spark, but I am fighting for my job anyway.”

Kolb did admit he had some concern when his concussion symptoms didn’t go away until three weeks had passed after the regular season ended. But he said he was healthy now (he looked in good shape already). He acted exactly how you’d expect — a guy who understands reality, and understands that he is still in position to be the starting quarterback if he can handle his business.

– The Cards’ last two unsigned restricted free agents, running back LaRod Stephens-Howling and safety Rashad Johnson, were working out after signing their one-year tender offers. All told, the Cards had more than 50 players working in the first two groups today. (Cards officially announced exclusive rights guys LB Brandon Williams and Ronald Talley signed as well.)

Tags: ,

40 Responses to “Players return — and Kolb is ready”

1. By jdcrow59 on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Darren: It appears to me that both Eli Manning and Aaron Rogers both wear a different style helmut since they suffered concussions. If that is the case and if they have not had a problem since, should not Kolb be looking in to the same thing?

2. By Ditship on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Good for Kolb. I wasn’t doubting that he would be in trying his hardest to win the battle that’s coming up. I know Skelton won a lot more games but I think in the long run if Kolb don’t work out we’re going to be looking beyond Skelton next year for our starter… and as a Whis fan it won’t look good for him or the franchise if Kolb fails. I like Skelton too.. His numbers are just too Tebow like and he scares me.

As for the Draft.. The only fear I have is us reaching for a Tackle in the first round. I think last year’s draft showed without a doubt that this team commits to BPA and I hope they stay true to that philosophy this year. Really seems like we could get an impact player Rushing the QB or Catching the ball at that 13 spot.. But in the end I’m excited about this coming season no matter who we get.

3. By TUCSTEVE on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

im rootn for kolb hope he does well this year

4. By Eric Y on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

He looks a little bigger. You mention that e’s in good shape, would you say he looks a little bigger?

5. By shawn on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

got to respect the man for putting it aside and going at it, i hope that fire carries him all they to the superbowl baby, i never doubted kevin i saw a lot more then i was expecting and all of you who say he didnt your wrong, everyone has high praise for jon and i do to but think he was here a year before kolb, and had more work with the guys, kolb can be great you all just wait and see

6. By graetschinger on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

c’mon kk fight for your job with all your talent!!!

fight and you will look much better, the cards, too.

7. By SmoothCard on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

I’m more of a Skelton person myself as I think he has the calmness that you just can’t teach. But if Kolb can get stronger with Lott and keep his head on him like he has been about this situation then he’s already solved half of his problems from last year. You can never doubt this guy’s approach to business.

8. By Soares20 on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

C’mon Kolb we are rooting for you we know you can be the guy. GO GET IT!!!!!!!!!

9. By jonnyb on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

any updates on john skelton

10. By Blake on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Everybody mentions the learning curve for Kolb transitioning from the Eagles’ offense to the Cardinals’ offensive system. Would you be able to explain the difference between what he did as quaterback there versus what we want him to do in Arizona? I have heard many times that the offense is “different” but I am interested to hear the x’s and o’s on how it’s different.

Thanks!

11. By Jesus on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Was John Skelton also at the workouts?

12. By Chris Hughes on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

If Kolb stays healthy he will be the man in 2012!

13. By Eazy E on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Ready for what? To get his job snatched from him again and this time for good. Skelton if they are fair in the ”open competition” thing, will beat him out.

14. By Rufus on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

This is a make or break year for him to show that he has the physical and mental toughness to be a star QB. The jury is still out.

15. By David Robles on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

He should, 7 million dollars ready.

16. By Jesus on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

nevermind saw the picture on the homepage, question answered

17. By Sir60 on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

It doesn’t matter how much motivation he has, or how good he is. The problem is, he is just one concussion away from retirement. You can’t blame our O-line because every quarterback gets hit during the course of a game.

18. By carlo italy 7000 on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

darren
    i can be wrong but sam acho looks bigger.true?

19. By YmmyYames on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

I love the quote, “But I’m fighting for my job anyway.” He recognizes the place the team is in and just asked for the respect of open communication. I think with as much faith as the Cardinals have put into him, he deserves that open communication too. Hope he lights it up this year.

20. By Darren Urban on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

jdcrow —

RE: Helmet

Not sure. It’s something I could ask about.

21. By Darren Urban on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Eric Y —

RE: Kolb physique

It’s possible. Looks more muscular to me, yes.

22. By Darren Urban on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Blake —

RE: Offensive difference

I don’t have time to explain now, but that is something I could perhaps attack later this week.

23. By Darren Urban on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Jesus —

RE: Skelton

Yes John was there.

24. By Darren Urban on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Carlo —

RE: Acho

Possible. Haven’t talked to him yet.

25. By AZbelgium on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

My man KK doing some Shrugs already to strengthen his neck! you don’t want to end like Manning having several neck surgeries hehe.

No, seriously i believe KK will do what he’s been asked for this year. I never understood the hate against him from AZfans. He had a different system to get used to without an offseason. He got injured twice and was limited to play… give him a rest and let’s see what he dos this year…

if it is again the same story, well then we’ll have to move on yes probably

26. By UC,CaseyIsatRaGeDY on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

This seems too similar to the Matt Leinart situation.
    I realize Whiz is head coach and frankly doesn’t have to let any player privy to his thoughts, but this is a QB league and the one person you want a relationship with is the guy under center.
    I don’t remember Warner having communication problems with Whisenhunt.

27. By Glen on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

A full preseason, along with some experience in the sysytem from last year I think we will see a different person in Kolb out there thisyear. One thing to remember though is even Superman can’t do it without an O Line – it all starts with that group.

28. By Stewart Badly on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

KK is in a short leesh if he starts 0-3 coach KW will make the change and go with John Skelton, if we don’t make the playoffs this year KK and KW will be out of Az. Book it

29. By Scott H on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Just don’t understand why people have to “root” for one QB over the other…doesn’t it make more sense to “root” for a situation where the competition is open and the best man for the job will ( hopefully ) emerge to lead this team??? I like BOTH of these guys, as players and as people. As has been apparent from many of my posts, I happen to lean toward Skelton. But if Kolb proves to be the better QB, then I’m on board.

But as much as I like him, I DO have serious concerns about Kolb’s ability to stay health for any stretch. He has now gone two consecutive seasons WITHOUT being able to do that. And the concussion thing is particularly worrisome because some guys are just prone to them. And if you’re a QB in the NFL and prone to concussions…that ain’t good. Hate to be morbid, but that’s why I think Skelton will ultimately end up being the guy.

30. By Tien on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Now that he has an offseason and a preseason Kolb should be ready. This season will prove that he deserved all that we gave him

31. By BIG RED on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

Talking about being fair in the Skelton & Kolb competition, why can’t darren speak of Skelton the same way his talking about Kolb. I believe Skelton deserves some write up, too. I’m with you Scott H.

32. By K-DUB on Apr 16, 2012 | Reply

All these Kolb workout photos that are coming out makes him look like a bad ass.

33. By david on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

to bad bartel signed, should have drafted kellen moore with a very late pick.

34. By vegas4u2012. on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

imo-this year will show if kk is a franchise qb.w/more time learning the system/training camp & w/hopefully an improved o-line/running game to help take pressure off him he will show just that.& i understand the desire alot of the fans had to get manning,but like alot of other qb’s in the nfl.there also one hit away from retirement.(see u all in flagstaff!)

35. By kkfan on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

@AZbelguim, I don’t either. I think many card fans have listened to the anti Kolb Eagle fans. Who resented the drafting of Kolb bc it signaled the comming end to the McNabb era for his many fans.

Plus I think the money they gave KK made the FANS expextations of him UNREASONABLE given the situation. No off season, a new team, new coaches, new system. Plus the previous seasons of discontent with Lienart were all heaped upon Kevin’s shoulders.

I would like to see anyone of these fans put themselves in his shoes, by going through what he did, and come out any better than what Kevin did.

Someone mentioned about him having been in a different system. Yes, they are different. Different alignments both offensively and defensively. During Kevins time in Pilly they had one of the top defenses in the conference. Kevin was the QB of the scout team and he had to go up against their #1 defense i every week. So I’m quite sure he can read a defense and adjust to this new system. But it doesn’t happen over night folks. But it seems to be what the majority of the fans here expect ed from him.

The play calling is much different in a WCO. It is a rhythm type system.. Where Kevin mentioned that he wasn’t use to all the movement in the system that the Cards and Whiz employs. So it is going to take some time to make the adjustments, get comfortable with your reads.

Reading some of the posts on the MB the assumption that because he has been in the league longer ( than John) means he should be able to play without a hic-cup is laughable.

First off, when Kevin was in Philly he got to play in 6 GAMES TOTAL!l…as a starter. Over a PERIOD OF 4 SEASONS. That hardly constitutes experience in my mind. Experience comes from being on the field every single week. Playing as the starter every game. Not come in in trash time or when someone goes down. Which was the true situation for him when in Philly.

Also while in Philly McNabb NEVER mentored him as most other teams franchise QB’s do when a new guy comes onto the team at his position. Heck, McNabb didn’t even talk to the guy. What I’m saying is he got no mentoring from McNabb. Infact McNabb wasquite vocal about the fact that they even drafted QB. As he saw it as the handwriting on the wall for him.

I’ve not an ounce of doubt, had Vick not been reinstated by the Commisioner that Kolb would be the starting QB in Philly today. Because that is how much belief and trust Andy had in Kevin. The card fans can believe that or not, thats up to them. But I know as I listened to Andy’s PC where he always spoke very highly of Kevin and what he believed his ability to be as a starting QB in this conference.

36. By Brad on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

I don’t think Kolb will play much this year, he will be out with concussion most weeks, he didn’t even lose consciousness with that hit in the field, QB’s get those knocks all the time, if he’s head is that fragile that he experiences concussion symptoms for that long for such a hit then he doesn’t have a future in the NFL. Lets hope they add some extra padding to his helmet for this season…this is my opinion, my opinion is either Kolb is not tough enough, or his head is too dam fragile….but hey just my opinion, so don’t go crying over it, people have different opinions…I just hope he doesn’t get another head knock cause we need him to perform this season!

37. By Angela on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

I think Kolb and his toe, should still have to work for it, Skelton never hurt his toe and sat out games, I say Skelton has MORE than EARNED the spot that Kolb thinks its just his for grabs.

38. By William Barry on May 23, 2012 | Reply

I like Kevin Kolb, but I think John Skelton will beat him out this year as our Number one QB…I really like Skelton height and throws a deep ball well. We will see who comes out on top.

2. Apr 17, 2012: Arizona Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb:”I am fighting for my job” | Get In The View
  3. Apr 17, 2012: FEATURED ARTICLE: 4-17-12: Arizona Cardinals Bird Droppings – Back To Work | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog