• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Dockett, arch-enemies, and a lion

Posted by Darren Urban on April 17, 2012 – 10:54 am

Darnell Dockett was talking about his offseason, one spent with alligators, snakes, spiders and a moment when he got into a cage with a lion.

“All my stuff was life-threatening,” Dockett said. “Any time I can do some life-threatening stuff and get away, I feel like I’m winning.”

That’s one way to look at it. Or in Dockett’s case, the only way.

“The lion isn’t going to just eat me straight away,” Dockett insisted. “He’s going to have his damn hands full. It was very exciting. I was doing swimming with sharks. I like stuff like that. I think that’s what life is all about, taking chances, and surviving them.”

Dockett isn’t exactly taking chances now that he’s back working out in Tempe, although he said the players are “having fun” getting back together, building chemistry, which is always important this time of year. But Dockett did admit “it’s kind of crazy working out with one of your arch-enemy O-lineman, that was kind of weird outside. But I’m glad he’s here.”

Dockett was referring to new Card Adam Snyder, against whom Dockett had gone up against 14 times while Snyder was a 49er (Snyder came into the league a year after Dockett’s 2004 debut.) Certainly, the Niners and Cards have had some emotional clashes over the years. Snyder said even with the publicity Dockett gets he is underrated, and admitted he was just a little nervous about meeting Dockett as a teammate Monday.

“We have had some battles,” Snyder said. “But I have said all along, he’s been very classy. He comes up to you have the game to shake your hand and says, ‘Great job.’ But at first, I mean, that’s 14 games we have (gone at each other.) I’m glad I don’t have to play against him on Sundays.”

“It’s a little … it takes a second to get acclimated,” Snyder said.

Still, it’s easier than climbing into a cage with a lion. I would think.

Tags: ,

27 Responses to “Dockett, arch-enemies, and a lion”

1. By Chris on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Interesting photo of Dockett. Almost makes it appear that his arms are two crazy different lengths. LOL!

2. By D on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Good to see most of the team participating in these workouts even if bonuses are a motivating factor…

I think this year’s defense will have the most talent it has had since being in AZ, secondary looks deep, another pass rusher in the draft and a backup DE and I don’t see any holes as long as Bradley and D. Williams both have improved years…

3. By shannon robinson on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Excellent photos and player ID’s – felt like I caught the spirit and was there for a glimpse – can tell the players accept you seamlessly and also like you as one of the team – that says a lot about what you can do for us – thanks a million!

4. By R Robles on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Good to see both potential starting QB’s working out, who hasnt made the workout’s Darren besides Calias?

5. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

R Robles –

RE: Missing

These are voluntary workouts. No reason to make a big deal out of who isn’t here unless there is an overriding reason (a la Campbell). For instance, Jeremy Bridges wasn’t there Monday but he’s there today. No big deal.

6. By Cards4ever on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Havent heard A-Dubs name called. Gotta assume he’s not there.

7. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Cards4ever –

RE: Wilson

Assume away.

8. By BleedCardsRED on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Cards4ever-

Re: Wilson

Why would you ever assume A-Dub wasnt there? He is a class act and leader of this team, not to mention a perfect physical specimen. Do you think he doesnt work for that physique? Ya right! He is a captain for a reason and also as a true cards fan, you should know he always remains quiet.

9. By loscards on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Swimming with sharks and wrasslin’ lions? Whoah, that’s badass

10. By carlo italy 7000 on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

darren
    on the photos on the site i didnt see daryl washington?
    he was there??

11. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Carlo –

RE: Washington

Not yet.

12. By carlo italy 7000 on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

darren
    do u think darryl washington absence means he look for a restructerd contract???

13. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Carlo –

RE: Washington contract

14. By Christo on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

I disagree Darren, lack of attendance is a problem. We need players that want to be there, and want to win. They have to be putting in the work.

In fact the only guys who shouldn’t be there are the one’s without contracts.

The CC thing just drives me a crazy, our FO has no excuse for not having him locked up long before today. They should be trying to lock up Washington right now too, what else could they want to see from him?

15. By Rob01 on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

who cares

16. By drummer-1 on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

@Christo…. Why do you ASSUME it’s the FO holding up the contract, it takes two party’s to get a deal done…People will try to fine anything just to bad mouth this team..

17. By cardsalltheway on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

“doing swimming”:(

18. By mal on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

That lion was smart — he didnt want no part of Darnell.

Dockett is a frikkin gladiator. He fights in a modern arena now, but he would have been right at home in the Roman Coliseum breaking lions’ necks.

19. By emm7777 on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Is it me, or does Skelton look like he outweighs Dockett?

20. By Chuck 1 on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Sigmund Freud = drummer-1

21. By Eazy E on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

I saw where Dockett was with alligators and that was awesome and dangerous at the same time.

22. By Cactus jeff on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Emm7777….
    I thought the same thing, he is looking more and more like Big Ben. Enough with the KK experiment, he has no zip on his passes unless he steps into his throws. I know KK is a good guy and coaches like his attitude but I don’t care how coachable someone is, if he weighs 250 he can’t plat LT, in this case if he can’t throw off his back foot, he can’t play QB.

23. By clssylssy on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! Can’t wait till we play the Saints and get the ball rolling for a great season. Am still ROFLMAO at the quote a Cards fan referenced last week by Buddy Ryan..”If you (coaches) listen to the fans you will soon find yourself sitting among them”….so true. However, I prefer the quote by Archie Griffin, “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of fight in the dog”. DD is an awesome player and great team captain. I would love to hear his thoughts on the “bountygate” scandal. I worry that our defensive players will be tentative when they make a play for fear they will get accused of some sort of “bounty” reward. The Saints game is sure to be heavily scrutinized and I’m sure their defense will be watered down. How is player penalties going to effect other defenses around the league?
    I hope that in addition to being missed by fans, DD considers the loss he would be to his son if he actually “made a mistake” when being in the liion’s cage. The swimming with sharks thing is just another day playing in the Nfl! LOL!

24. By Brian on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Christo –

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe Larry Fitzgerald missed some of the “voluntary” workouts during the old CBA because he was travelling the world. Did you question his commitment at that time?

25. By garrett on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

O-Lineman on the left kinda of looks like a fat John Skelton…? tell me that isn’t him

26. By SCCards on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

The pic series of the guys doing ladders was great. DD seems focused, but another pic showed him ‘tangled’ in the ladder. Skelton appears to be loose and engaging through most of the pics. It’s great to see that from him. Hoping for great things from him…

27. By William Barry on May 23, 2012 | Reply