Gay sees a winner

Posted by Darren Urban on April 17, 2012 – 2:26 pm

He may have agreed to a free agent contract weeks ago, but cornerback William Gay didn’t arrive in Arizona until yesterday when workouts officially began.With a chance to finally catch up to him, the question was posed: Why Arizona?

“I mean, you want to win,” Gay said. “My thing is, to leave the Steelers, I had to come to an organization that had the mindset of not just getting to the playoffs and winning the division and feeling like that is a good season,” Gay said. “It’s getting to the Super Bowl. At the end of the day, all the fans can celebrate (division titles) but you can’t celebrate that inside the locker room. It’s a bigger picture.

“I felt the Cards had the guys to do it.”

The fact Gay was familiar and had a relationship with former Pittsburgh defensive backs coach and current Cards defensive coordinator Ray Horton “played a part,” he said, but that wasn’t everything. “Those guys who I am familiar (playing) with are not on the field, so I have to get familiarized with these guys and get on the same page as them,” Gay said.

Gay figures to be in the battle for the starting cornerback role opposite Patrick Peterson, especially with Greg Toler coming off a major injury and A.J. Jefferson still not proven yet. Gay punted the question though, saying the question of him starting was better asked of the coaches. “I’m just here to play football, to bring my knowledge of the defense and my leadership and try and win some ballgames,” Gay said.

And who knows, maybe he’ll do a little rapping if they do win.

Tags: , , ,

40 Responses to “Gay sees a winner”

1. By Christo on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Let’s go gay!!!

2. By joe holst on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Should be fine as long as the line can bring some heat.. Darren do you think/prefer the Cards go WR,OL or OLB with then first pick?

3. By Ben on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

DU, did you watch that youtube video to the end?

4. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Ben —

RE: Video

I hadn’t. Fixed now.

5. By Ross on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Its funny you ask about the pick. This is what i sad on facebook. and i stand by it:I know i’m going to catch alot of flak from my fellow Cardinals fans, but i think the Cards should trade down in the 1st round so they can secure a 2nd round pick (they currently dont have one thanks to the Kolb trade). Maybe trade with Cleveland (who would have two picks in the top 15) or Detroit landing them the 22nd or 23rd 1st and 2nd rounders. Draft Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor in the 1st and maybe someone like Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin, or Amini Silatolu, T, Midwestern State in the Second.. They would then have a higher 3rd rounder and so on…. Just a thought.

6. By Ben on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

DU,

Can you list out the schedule for us simpletons that cannot follow what is on the home page? NFL.com isnt working.

7. By Darren Urban on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Ben —

RE: Schedule link

I am also putting a list in the homepage story.

8. By cardsalltheway on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Per NFL website on our schedule…”The Cardinals have to ramp things up in a hurry with back-to-back games against the Patriots and Eagles following the opener. The Bills’ revamped pass rush could test Kevin Kolb. A Monday night showdown against the 49ers in Week 8 has the makings of a pivotal divisional battle. The Packers, Falcons and Lions loom, but there’s always the luxury of getting to play the Rams and Seahawks twice.”

9. By Mr.Ramirez on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

Cardinals going to be great next season. Even with Marshall leaving a full offseason will help.

10. By Andy Kwong on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

@SF 18-17 L Fitz 83yds 0TD
    RS:11-5 (2nd) NFCWest

WC: 38-27 W Fitz 140yds 4TD
    DR: 31-13 W Fitz 93yds 1TD
    NC: 33-22 W Fitz 173yds 2TD
    SB: 24-15 W Fitz 112yds 1TD
    (Larry Fitzgerald Super Bowl MVP)

11. By Mark G. on Apr 17, 2012 | Reply

I love your enthusiasm, Andy. I hope you’re right; I would be very happy with 9-7 or 10-6, though. I’m hoping the draft brings one or two starters, on the O-line and at WR.

12. By Eazy E on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

I hope so because leaving the steelers ain’t easy, but I’m glad we got him. He should beat toler and jefferson or something wrong. He knows the system better and is a better player than both especially one coming off a horrific injury and didn’t play great the year before and another that struggled continuously.

13. By jeffgollin on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Re: Schedule. Be careful what you wish for – certain teams will surprise you (both negatively and positively). Bottom Line – Every game is a “must game.”

14. By ericcardsfan4life on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren, do you know if and where I can buy one of those John Lott “Get your mind right” shirts the guys wear?

15. By cardsalltheway on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

“Different…” What is Ken W.’s history with handling things that are “different?” Last year was certainly “different” and we had a terrible start even through with his so-called experience compared to other head coaches(despite being new) we should’ve done better than we did or else not have ever picked up K. Kolb. We can’t afford another bad start since the arm has come down on bounties, but luckily we don’t have a 1st year Defensive Coodinator. No excuses, we certainly don’t have the worst schedule nonetheless there seems to be a lot of “I don’t know’s” from Ken W. which is somewhat understandable at this point, but aren’t we where we are because of Ken W.? IMO, he should know!!! He already sounds wishy washy or just like usual.

The excuse for last year has almost caused me to be tone deaf. Yet, Ken W. should’ve known not to bring in a “new” unproven QB for big bucks who wasn’t familiar with our system(“Doesn’t know our plays”) but still was promised the starting job automatically. So, how is it we still hear how “competition” is what we want or is good?

I hope this isn’t the beginning of the same old !@#$%^&*, but just another year?

16. By clssylssy on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Given Coach’s preference for veterans, do you see a draft pick as a starter? Unless they are the L Fitz caliber (pretty rare) I don’t see WR as being a priority over OLB and OL…since there seems to be an abundance this year @QB in the draft, I could see them grabbing one of those guys for backup and to begin learning the system, however, I”m sure Coach Whisenhunt knows what he needs.

17. By exatraz on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

@andy

I agree with the results, not just because I like them but because they make sense. Although I see a couple things changing. I see us going 1-1 against SF not 0-2, I feel the home game will be a win again. I also dont see us beating ATL on the road after just facing SF and GB. Also Seattle is still kinda a wild card so I give them the benefit of the doubt and say we go 1-1 with them as well. Overall I set us at 10-6 with possibly a shot at the post season. I dont think SF is going to repeat the success they had last year and so I think it is realistic that we could win the west. It all depends how we start the season. I love the schedule but if we do not start off strong, it is going to be a long season.

18. By Darren Urban on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Ericcards —

RE: Lott shirts

Those are not for sale.

19. By Buck on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway – We are still getting “the same old !@#5%^&*” from you! Hope it doesn’t last for another year/

20. By Darren Urban on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Draft pick as starter

It goes back to how ready they are compared to the others at his position.

21. By Chuck 1 on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

To Buck (and others who imbibe wholeheartedly in the Kool Aid),

cardsalltheway and I aren’t the only ones who are not satisfied with the results of the last two seasons; 5-11 and 8-8.

If you and others are, that encourages acceptance of mediocrity (or worse).

22. By John the draft guy on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Ross,
    A lot of flak? No. I think you have to consider moving down in the draft. Of course, adding a second round pick would be huge.

Personally, I would zero in on a couple of players I want and at the same time, let the rest of the league know you are open to moving down. Then, if one of your difference makers is sitting at 13, grab him. If not, take the best deal to move down.
    To me, there are 2 difference makers I like Whitney Mercilus and Ryan Tannehill. ( now you want to talk about taking flak)

Tannehill is a franchise QB, something the cards don’t have. Skelton only plays the 4th quarter (and thanks to some runbacks by PP and great defense) sqeezed by with some wins. Kolb looked lost at times and a story broke about how bad his concussion was after the season. Folks, we don’t have a franchise guy in a QB league.

Mercilus is a awesome passrusher in the mold of Demarcus Ware and Simeon Rice. He could be opposite Acho on passing downs and put up double digit sacks in his first year. I’m not sure I see Upshaw doing that.

As for WR. I just don’t see the cards looking wr early in this draft. With the resigning of Doucet, and Roberts, Sampson, and Williams locked up, I see more of a middle round pick at WR. ***You heard it here first. Don’t be surprised if Sampson is starting opposite of Fitz.******
    If Brown is our LT, then we can turn to several prospects in the 3rd or 4th to play RT.

23. By John the draft guy on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Just one more comment about the offensive line.
    For the 1st round, I was thinking LT early in the process, but have since changed my opinion. An Oline is a unit. And I believe we can find players later in the draft to fill the needs in this unit.

Example; The number 1 passing team and record setting QB ; The N.O. Saints and Drew Brees. Let’s look at how they built this awesome Oline from last year.

First it was all built 100% through the draft.
    LT- Bushrod 4th round pick
    LG – Nicks – 5th round pick
    C – Tennant – 5th round pick
    RG – Evans – 4th round pick
    RT – Strief – 6th round pick

The cards have drafted 4 Olineman during this stretch of 2006 to today. Duece ’06 (2nd round) Brown ’07 (1st round) , Brandon Keith ’08 (7th) and Herman Johnson ’09 (5th). They also landed Sendlin as a undrafted FA.
    A in shape Duece, a consistant Brown, and an injury free Keith, who knows. Time to rebuild through the draft.

Look at lineman in rounds 3-7. Take 2. develop them and build an oline.

24. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

@Andy,

I too, like your enthusiasm, and I’m not putting it past him but you’ve predicted an 18 TD, 1,727 receiving yards season for Fitz. I expect improvement out of either Skelton or Kolb myself, but his career highs for TD’s are 13, receiving yards 1,431.

Here’s hoping you’re right.

25. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

@John the Draft Guy,

Agree with you and Ross about liking the idea of moving down and getting our second round pick back. Per our usual discussions, have to debate/comment a few ideas with you. Tannehill is a projected franchise QB, don’t think we should be giving him Luck status yet. He really wasn’t even a franchise QB in college. Could Upshaw get double digit sacks his rookie year? Debatable, but unlike Mercilus I do see him playing all three downs right from the start. I think that would be more valuable. Not sure we find a starting RT in round 3 or 4 either, although I could see a future starter if we can live with Bridges over there for a season. Interesting thought about Sampson and our #2 WR. Personally, I’m hoping Sanu drops to #80 overall but will concede that’s very wishful thinking. As always, even with my disagreements, it’s a thought provoking post.

26. By John the Draft Guy on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Mike;
    yes, Tannehill is not at “Luck” status. But neither are 3/4ths of the starting QBs in the NFL. :)
    What I see is, Kolb’s injury issues and Skelton’s inaccuracy issues, and it screems big problems. I also am looking into my crystal ball and seeing fans yelling for Barkley or Jones in next years draft.
    I believe in Tannehill and figure, lets get a jump start. What is the worst thing? Skelton or Kolb becomes the guy. Now we have 2 QBs. I wouldn’t mind having that problem.

Yes, I will agree Upshaw can play all 3 downs in 2012 and Mercilus will be used much like Aldon Smith. But if Schofield or Haggins can hold down downs 1 and 2, what a great weapon to have. And don’t think for a minute that Aldon Smith didn’t make a huge impact last year for the niners. The fact teams had to locate him and game plan for him, seems to me, has a bigger impact.

BTW, Sanu could drop to 80. I like Joe Adams from Arkansas. Explosive player.

27. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

@Chuck 1,

If you’re a long time Cardinals fan, and don’t accept mediocrity (contradiction of terms there, but moving forward), why all the criticism of one of the very few coaches this franchise has ever had who has managed to pull this organization out of it?

28. By cobra on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

@ cardsalltheway, chuck 1, and truths4all:

You guys should start your own negativity blog for the cards. Every time I read one of your comments, I feel like I’m watching DEBBIE DOWNER from Saturday Night Live. Yes, I spelled it out for you so you could comprehend (understand). For the most part, the comments on this blog are meant to show optimism, support and progress for the future of the cards. Although I do have to say, at times I find your comments very amusing. Maybe you all should stick around so we all can have a good laugh from time to time. Good luck in you search, for, for, for, ????????????????????????.

29. By drummer-1 on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

I wish i was as happy as cardsalltheway, chuck1, and truth4all: But i’m pretty sure they’re the same person or want to be anyway..

30. By James on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

@Chuck1 So what,you want everybody to constantly think negative about the Cards like you?If you show any kind of optimism for the Cards then you’re “drinking the koolaid”?That’s a big load of crap!!!If you believe that by looking at things from a positive point of view or,as you say it “drinking the koolaid” will “promote mediocrity(or worse)” then you go right ahead and think that.I’m going to ALWAYS look at things in a positive light and you or no other” Debbie Downer” on this board will EVER change that!!!”Promote mediocrity”……….GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

31. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

@John,

Here’s hoping you’re right about Sanu, but he’d have to get past Tampa and his old college coach, who thinks the world of him, twice, for that to happen. Reminds me of young Anquan Boldin, just blows people up as a blocker and is physical enough that I don’t see teams getting away with single coverage on him.

Hear what you’re saying about Aldon Smith, but as most point out, sacks are a bit of a red herring in that the guy who gets the sack, a lot of times, isn’t the one who created it. Without the monsters they have doing the dirty work on first and second down to create third and long, he wouldn’t be nearly as effective (or with the way they used him, effective at all). But to your point, I’m sure it’s a situation that does have to be game planned for – just not convinced it’s the kind of player that requires a first round pick.

The worst thing I see with Tannehill is a potential bust at QB, who is more potential than production. If that scenario plays out, we just bypassed a probable impact player to get him, and simultaneously stunted the learning curve for either Skelton or Kolb. And being realistic, no way we keep all three on the roster. Neither Kolb or Skelton gets demoted down to third string, and nobody drafts a QB in round one to put him there either so it really changes the dynamic of that position.

Whatever happens, we’ll find out soon enough now.

32. By Cactus jeff on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Darren, did Kerry Rhodes show up for workouts?

33. By JohnfromOz on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Glad to see that realistic appraisal (NOT pessimism) from Chuck1,cardsalltheway and truth4all have been posted. Putting it simply, winning half your games over a season is NOT acceptable and is mediocre only if you are generous. No matter what spin you put on it, 8 – 8 is a bloody poor return over a season. Cobra’s comment about the current coach is one of the very few to pull the team out of mediocrity is no great endorsement. The sad truth is that over the full period of his tenure the team has not performed well, One year where he was lucky enough to have a high performing QB does not make him a good coach. His overall record is dodgy at best, and some of the player choices he has made have been baffling. He most certainly is sitting on a very warm seat with limited credits.

34. By Darren Urban on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Cactus —

RE: Rhodes

35. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

@johnfromoz,

“The sad truth is that over the full period of his tenure the team has not performed well, One year where he was lucky enough to have a high performing QB does not make him a good coach”

The revisionist history that goes on here never ceases to amaze me. He took over for a previously successful coach who went 16-32 in three seasons here prior to his arrival, an organization that won playoff games about once a century, and has only had one losing season in his five years here. The Cardinals in the Super Bowl? Division champions? A team Peyton Manning would consider? All laughable ideas before he got here. Refreshing to see the bar finally being set higher, but let’s quit pretending it was anything more than jumping over a piece of paper prior to him.

36. By JohnfromOz on Apr 21, 2012 | Reply

Mike Ellingboe – while I appreciate your undoubted passion for your team, I stand by my previous comments. Here in the Australian Football League (AFL) a coach who had taken his team to the Grand Final (the AFL equivalent of Super Bowl) two years in a row, winning one and losing one and also taking that same team to finals (playoffs) every year from 2002 – 2011 was given his marching orders at the end of 2011. He has not been the only coach to have done so in recent years. In our AFL at least one coach is given the sack every year during the regular season. I am judging Wisenhunt’s success as a coach and the Cardinals’performance as a successful team on criteria with which I am familiar, and on that basis cannot accept the team as successful based on reaching the Superbowl once in Wisenhunt’s time. Here, a coach with a 50/50 win ratio would be on very shaky ground. My contention is that any team losing the same number of games or less than they win is under-performing. If some teams in other Divisions reached playoffs with a similar winning ratio to the Cardinals in 2011, then that reflects the weakness (or perhaps evenness?) of their Division rather than acceptable performance over a season. By AFL standards a team making finals consistently but not winning the championship is generally considered to have failed. Logically, from this the coach is considered to have failed as well. Merely making finals (playoffs) year after year is not enough to be called a success – actually winning the Grand Final is the measure of success.
    It’s one thing to set the bar higher and higher, but it is another thing to actually clear it. In 2011, one team in the AFL only lost three games for the season including finals – thus winning something like 22/25 games. They were considered to have failed because even with this high winning ratio they did not win the Grand Final. If they are considered failures, what does that make the cardinals and their coach?

37. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

@johnfromoz,

I won’t pretend to know anything about the Australian Football League, but I will say that kind of coaching turnover in the NFL is exactly what creates medocrity in this league. Is an overall record of .500 normally anything to brag about? It is when your predecessors have only gotten halfway to that point. Whisenhunt has taken a colossal failure of a franchise and made it competitive and respectable. He’s earned the opportunity to take it to the next level. The NFL isn’t the NHL, a new coach can’t just step in and redo the system in place in a matter of hours. Look at the most successful franchises, and the tenures of their respective head coaches. Then look at the coaching carousels of losing NFL organizations – you’ll see a direct correlation.

38. By JohnfromOz on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

Mike ellingboe

Point about coaching turnover taken, mate! I agree that successful coaches usually have good long-term records. I just feel in the bones of my butt that Wisenhunt is yet to really prove himself to be a successful coach, and that the question then has to be raised about how long the organisation and its fans (and remember that the fans are the lifebloodd of any club!) are willing to wait for the Cardinals to step up to a higher level. How long has Wisenhunt been at the helm? Four years? Five years? With one breakout year that wasn’t sustained?

39. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

@johnfromoz,

He’s been here five years, and I’d call it three breakout years. Why three? As previously noted, he took over a train wreck and got it back on track in year one with a .500 record. Not an easy thing to do in this league, ask Steve Spagnolo about that. Year 2 was the Super Bowl (completely unthinkable, if you would have bet that when he took the team over you’d never have had to work another day in your life). Year 3, a second consecutive division title (completely uncharted territory for this organization). Granted, year 4 was a disaster, due largely to losing two Pro Bowlers on offense (Boldin and Warner), an ill-advised decision to promote Billy Davis to DC, and putting too much faith in the idea that Leinart could effectively take over for Warner and then being stuck with the choice of him or Anderson to run the ship (a losing proposition either way). Last year didn’t start out much better, but the 7-2 finish with the best defensive play we’ve seen since the 08 Super Bowl run gives us a lot of reason to think the second half will be the norm going forward. Still need a proven QB in today’s game, but the other pieces of the puzzle are filling in nicely.

How long are the fans willing to wait for another Super Bowl run? Hard to qualify that, but what are we at now, 64 consecutive home sellouts? When I lived in Phoenix blackouts were a given. I think most realize we’d still be the same 4-12 to 6-10 bottom feeder we always (or virtually always) were without him. Things are much better now for this organization than they’ve ever been. Suffice it to say, it’s all that which makes me disagree with your assessment that he hasn’t proved to be a “successful” coach.

40. By William Barry on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Whiz deserves a huge amount of credit for changing the “attitude” of this franchise from a loser to a winner….I have followed this team since 1967, and only within the last five years, can I say that we have accomplished major things: 1/ a new stadium, 2/ a new complex in 1990, with a new training field in the works, and a almost miraculous Super Bowl win..