Sendlein restructures deal

Posted by Darren Urban on April 18, 2012 – 12:15 pm

Veteran center Lyle Sendlein said he had restructured his contract recently, which will help the Cards in their quest to keep some salary cap space cleared this offseason. Sendlein reduced his 2012 salary from $2.4 million to $700,000, according to the NFLPA. The extra $1.7M was converted to a bonus so it could be spread over the remainder of the contract, which runs through 2015.

“It wasn’t a big deal,” Sendlein said. “They told me about it, and I figured, that’s fine.”

Sendlein’s cap number was supposed to be $3.25M, and the move shrinks that number to $1.975M. Fellow lineman Daryn Colledge did the same kind of thing earlier in the offseason. The Cards have been snug against the cap most of the offseason. (And no, I don’t know where the Cards are today in terms of cap space, other than they are obviously compliant.)

– Apropos of nothing, the Cardinals’ 2009 jersey has made it to the finals of the Hall of Fame’s “Jersey Showdown” against the 1993 Buffalo Bills jersey. Fans can vote (just click here) to pick the winner, so have at it.

(And tying this all together, here’s a pic of Sendlein wearing that 2009 jersey against the Bears.)

Tags: ,

18 Responses to “Sendlein restructures deal”

1. By D on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Smooth tie in D

I wonder what Whiz thinks about flying to NY one week then flying to Seattle the next…I guess that is the trade off for having those early home games…

Do you know if St.Louis will retire Warner’s jersey for that Thurs night game?

2. By Darren Urban on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

D —

RE: Warner jersey

You have to ask the Rams.

3. By CORMAC on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

GO VOTE FOR WARNERS JERSEY!! Its against the Bills KELLY. Right now they are wasting us in the vote. Its like 3,000 to 9,000 Bills up GO VOTE on DARRENS LINK

4. By cardsalltheway on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Good for Lyle,
    In the most recent interview with Ken W. I counted…

“Who knows” = 1
    “I don’t know” = 5
    “Never know” = 2
    “You know” = 4
    “I know” = 2

We know more than Ken W., doesn’t sound very promising:(

5. By Cardfancolo on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Ah cardsalltheway is ever so positive as usual

6. By Eazy E on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

That was very cool of Lyle to do that, because that was a ”cut” right there. I know that he’ll get it over the whole contract as a bonus but it still is a big ”cut”.

7. By drummer-1 on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

@cardsalltheway… Can you post more, i love reading how sad your life is, i’m a big comic fan and love to laugh, you bring joy to me…. Thanks..

8. By AL on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Sometimes I wonder where Cardsalltheway’s head is at.

In relation to the article, I hope all this restructuring doesn’t come back and bite us in the *** a couple of years from now.

9. By cards on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

I think the cards could win it all this year even without peyton manning

10. By Soares20 on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

We can grab an OT later and develop him there is plenty of size and talent in OT in later rounds. It is SO MUCH HARDER TO GET PLAY MAKERS!!! I think everyone would agree we could use another play maker if you don’t agree then maybe we shouldn’t have drafted PP21? yup that’s what I thought. Cards should grab an OLB ILB or WR depending if Floyd Ingram or Kuechly are still there. Or DeCastro because he is one of the few O Lineman whom I would consider a play maker.

11. By UC,CaseyIsatRaGeDY on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Well, with that 1.5 mil saved that’s about enough to sign their 3rd round pick. Only about 4 mil more to shave just for the rookies.
    Darren, do you know with all these “supposed” team salaries being leaked if they’re total squad or just the top 51 players counting against the cap? I’m guessing you would be guessing, like I.
    If Campbell is signed to a long term deal, about how much relief would it provide , IYO? It probably would depend on the signing bonus, but the Cards have to be careful not to jeopardize the future with these back loaded contracts.

12. By cardsalltheway on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Ken W. is on the “Warm Seat” but depending on K. Kolb, could find himself on the “Hot Seat.”

13. By Peter in Canada on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

I remember that Bear game. We were killing them until we brought Leinart in for garbage time. After a couple of series with him we had to get Warner out of the shower to come back in and ice the game. I really think DA was the better of the two.

14. By shawn on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

im going to go with floyd we need someone to take the pressure off fitz your soares we can grab a ol in the 3rd or 4th and they can be great hell sometimes udfa are great to look at our starting c for instance its always the underated guys who are beasts they have more to prove. i like darius,floyd,or ingram but i really think floyd will be the pick if he is there i know we got sampson and williams to prove something but i am still waiting for that…

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

UC,Casey —

RE: Cap leaks

That is the cap right now, so it would be the top 51 salaries. It’s not the total squad.

As for Campbell, he’s about $10.8M right now. You could lower that for sure, but how much? I mean, it’s so hard to know. He’s not going to take a huge backloaded deal anyway.

16. By jason on Apr 18, 2012 | Reply

Darren-

Are the cards considering mike wallace?

17. By D on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

The Draft is 1 week away. Best scenario for the Cards right now:

Round 1: R. Reiff OT
    Round 3: J. Kaddu OLB
    Round 4: TY Hilton WR
    Round 5: D. Ihenacho SS
    Round6: K. Brown DE
    Round 6: R. Miller OG

Unless that Philly trade rumor happens..then we will see.

2. Apr 22, 2012: Sendlein: $1.7M pay decrease “not a big deal” | Her Game Life