A draft presser without specifics

Posted by Darren Urban on April 19, 2012 – 11:49 am

Of course, it isn’t a surprise, but the press conference of general manager Rod Graves and coach Ken Whisenhunt was devoid of many specifics. The biggest thing, and again, not a surprise, was Whisenhunt’s comment about “needing” to take a tackle.

“What we don’t want to do is draft a lineman just to draft a lineman,” Whisenhunt said. “Just because you think that’s what you have to do.”

I don’t think that’s smokescreen either — the Cards aren’t going to take a tackle in the first round because of need. It’ll depend on the draft grades and who is left available. As I have mentioned in a couple of comments before, if a tackle is rated an 82, let’s say, and another position is an 88, for instance (90 is a star-to-be in the Cards’ system), the Cards are better served with the 88, right?

As for trades, Graves talked a few times about “opportunities” but really, there is no way to know what will happen, and again, that’s more about the function of where the Cards sit rather than trying to be vague. As Whisenhunt noted, last year it was pretty easy to know what one or two players the Cards would have a shot at picking fifth. This year, at 13, that’s almost impossible given the number of combinations that could come down over the first 12 picks — especially since there doesn’t seem to be a real consensus about who “deserves” to go once the picks get past No. 6 or so.

Tags: , ,

27 Responses to “A draft presser without specifics”

1. By D on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Basically what that means is after Kailil, Reiff and Glenn are off the board, I think M. Schwartz, B. Mosely or Z. Sanders in round 3 are as good as Mike Adams or J. Martin in Round 1 reaching at 13

2. By Blair on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Sounds likw Whiz is really getting the hang of this drafting in the top fifteen business

3. By cardsalltheway on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

What press conference? No links to press conference? Ho hum!

4. By cardsalltheway on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

I found it and suggest those to take your blood pressure meds before reading it.

5. By Rob01 on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Get Mike Floyed PLS

6. By Erik on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

I think the Cards should trade down with a team some where in between 15-20th pick if possible and try to get a 2nd or a 3rd Round Pick in return. That being said, this will help out alot and they could be able to get a OT in the 2nd or 3rd Round and get the best talent available in what pick they get in return in the 1st Round like a Courtney Upshaw or Michael Floyed or Stephen Hill. Anyways that’s just an idea I thought of and would be awesome if it turned out like that. What do you think guys, sound like a great idea?

7. By Rob01 on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

You can get a all world lineman if K.Kolb is not geting the ball out quick enough the line is going to look bad so getin the play marker so Kolb can stop throwing to Larry all the time

8. By Rob01 on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

And that play maker is Mike Floyed

9. By Scott H on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Not related to this but I’ve been out of the loop for a few days and just wanted to sound off on what bull—- the NFL scheduling process is for primetime games. What CRAP this is! Anyone notice that the Eagles were given SIX ( I repeat – SIX ) primetime games this year while the Cardinals got 2??? How do they justify THAT??? The friggin’ Eagles were 8-8 last year ( just like the Cards ), they were not a playoff team ( just like the Cards ), and they were BEATEN BY THE CARDS last year!!! There is NOTHING that justfies this disparity other than the NFL’s opinion that nationally, people would rather see one team than the other. And maybe they do have some data that tells them that but given the facts of the case ( stated earlier ), I think SIX primetime games for ANY team that was 8-8 the previous season and did NOTHING to distinguish itself it just absolutely ridiculous and overdone. And VERY unfair to the fans of the many teams that may not see their team even once. Same damn thing with the Cowboys. Same 8-8 record last year. NOT in the playoffs. BEATEN by the Cardinals last season. And will be seen in primetime MANY more teams this season. Why? So we can all marvel at Jerry Jones’ biggest TV in the world? Please.

AND, let me also point out that even with Michael Vick playing for the Eagles, Larry Fitzgerald is DEFINITELY the best player on either of these teams and is, therefore, the biggest attraction that either team could offer. And hate to say it, but he didn’t spend 2 years away from the game in prison for flat-out criminal behavior. Seems to me that the NFL should WANT to show-case the good guys in the league, but…I guess not. That is a poor choice on their part. I’d rather see him play than ANYONE the Eagles are putting on the field ( regardless of their legal histories ).

Say AYE if you’re as outraged by this as I am. Such BS on so many different levels.

10. By cardsalltheway on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

This is funny…

“The Cardinals figure to have a hotly contested quarterback controversy this summer. Well, at quarterback controversy at least. The winner will have a chance to succeed, with only one game against a 2011 playoff team in the first seven. The Cardinals need to race out to an great start, but the team closes with games against the Lions, Bears and 49ers – so good luck to John Skelton in those games.”

So, we have an easy schedule and it sounds like K. Kolb won’t finish the season according to Adam Rank – How many spelling/grammar mistakes can you find?

11. By cardsalltheway on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Scott H,
    You raise some good points but the Cardinals don’t show as much interest in marketing compared to the Cowboys/Eagles(through fan interaction etc…) so why should the NFL? Actually, I’m speaking more about the Cowboys but I wouldn’t doubt Philly does as much or nearly as much as the Cowboys. The Cowboys have a lunch hour everyday that includes incoming fan calls/questions/comments. Fans call in from all over the country/world. That is marketing. There really isn’t any comparison in the amount of coverage the Cowboys provide for its team compared to the Cardinals. How that old saying go…? “You get what you give.”

12. By Eazy E on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Scott H-

Stop crying bro. Michael Vick or Kevin Kolb/John Skelton is the question for the NFL?? The eagles have a ton of talent and looked good at the end of the season. Also, you only can have 5 PT Games so your wrong there too. If we had got Peyton, we would have been on 5 PT Games also, but we didn’t. The Cowboys also are America’s Team, so that is why they got 5. The Jets got 5 because of most likely Tebow. NFL wants interesting too and not saying the Cardinals aren’t, but their not as interesting in the NFL’s eyes with Kolb/Skelton instead of Vick or Romo or the aforementioned Peyton Manning. Did you check our QBs out last year? Especially Kolb?! Wasn’t pretty.

13. By smack28 on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Scott H., I agree with you. Another one that jumps off the page is the Chargers. What do they have, other than Philip Rivers, that gives them the right to play five primetime games? Who cares about them other than Southern California???

Don’t forget the Eagles and Cowboys will also play many nationally televised games as the number one Fox broadcast as well. Quite frankly, I am tired of the hype that comes with the NFC East. Even though they have the returning SB champs, that division is entirely overrated. So, I recommend you do what I do and cheer against those very average Cowboys and Eagles.

As for the most important thing happening in less than a week, I am very happy to hear that this group does not plan to reach for an OT with their first pick. It is very important for the average fan to understand that. However, I promise the beat writers will grade the Cardinals badly if they do not draft an OT in that first pick. Who cares? This team needs to take the best player available or trade down if they need to take one of those lesser Right Tackles. I’ve been saying that for months now.

Another thing I’ve been saying is Michael Floyd does not fit this system. He is not a good route runner, cannot get off press coverage, ran a slow short shuttle compared to his 40 time, and has medicocre game film. He won’t be a bust. However, he won’t be a game changer either. This team needs a game changer. I will argue this with anyone wanting to challenge it. Take a look at his stats versus Blackmon’s stats versus common opponents. On top of that, who even heard of Floyd being such a beast before his numbers at his pro day workout? Game film and stats do not lie. Players rising on draft boards due to combines and pro day workouts do.

This team needs to find a trade partner if Riley Reiff does not fall in their laps. If they cannot find someone to trade picks, they need to take Luke Kuechly, Mark Barron, Courtney Upshaw, or Melvin Ingram. All of these players are guys that will translate well to the NFL level and could potentially make multiple pro bowls. Pick the best player available regardless of position – that should be the rule to follow with the first pick.

14. By cardsalltheway on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Georgia, Ken W.’s home state might do ‘Hard Knocks’

That is called marketing, the Cardinals aren’t interested in that. Somebody might have to lift a finger or two.

15. By Edgar on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Any chance the Cardinals trade for Asante Samuel??

16. By Darren Urban on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Edgar —

RE: Samuel

Don’t see it.

17. By Luke Strauss on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

What did we actually expect from the presser though? Its all well and proper speculating about who would be a great pick or not but realistically, you won’t know who will be a great pick until that number 13 pick arrives.

We have several needs, sure, but I agree that the draft is there to fill talent not needs. Patrick Peterson was not necessarily a need, but he was a talent you couldn’t pass up. I think picking at 13 has some leverage and a possible trade down would be enticing because of the lack of a second round pick, but middle to late rounders can be steals – see Acho and Carter for example. and therefore attaining more middle to late round picks might be a blessing in disguise.

Graves and Whisenhunt seem to know how to ball when it comes to crunch time in the draft and with Ryan Williams coming back, looking one hell of a player coming out college, I’m sure there will be some nice little surprises come April 26th.

18. By cardsalltheway on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

Here Darren,
    I will link to the article your post is about since you didn’t/haven’t…

“Early in the draft, when difference-makers can be found more often than not, chasing need can hamstring a team.”

What is strange about the quote above is the most probable reason for it(Levi?), yet he still starts. Why is there that train of thought when Levi still starts? Is there someone else who caused this reasoning? When did this reasoning begin?

Also, if we trade down from pick 13 does that mean we aren’t interested in “difference-makers”?

Darren, please ask Graves or Ken W. if the 13th pick is what they consider “early in the draft”? But, don’t let them get away with an “I don’t know” answer.

19. By Scott H on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

Eazy E –

First, I am not wrong. The Eagles have 5 PT games AND another that is scheduled as a national game. Do the math. That’s 6.

Second, the Eagles have a ton of talent? Really? Well, if that’s true, then they should have been better that 8-8 last year. Did you get my point at all??? And I reiterate my opinion that they do not have a single player that plays on the level of Larry Fitzgerald. Shouldn’t PT games feature PT players?

Third, Kolb and Skeltom may lack for impressive resumes thus far, that may be true. But what have Vick OR Romo done lately that merits all of this primetime exposure??? PUH-LEASE, dude. Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Manning in primetime every couple of weeks? Hey, I got NOOOOO problem with that. Michael Vick and / or Tony Romo??? Absolutely NOT.

Fourth, who’s side are you on, anyway??? here I am speaking up for the Cardinals and you come back with “Stop crying, bro?” Well, since you seem to support this nationally held perception that the Cardinals are not interesting, I suggest you go out and get yourself a Vick or a Romo jersey. And then just keep walkin.’

BTW…how’s your boy McNabb doing these days?

20. By Scott H on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

smack28 –

Thank for showing some passion and not simply accepting this second-class citizenship status that we are just supposed to accept as Cardinals fans. I agree with you as well. Seems to me that I remember the Cardinals playing in a Super Bowl more recently than the Eagles OR the Cowboys. So, why do I have to accept being second fiddle to either one of them??? I DO NOT, as far as I am concerned.

21. By Rob01 on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

Darren do you think the cardinals we take Folyd if hus there

22. By Rob01 on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

Pls take Folyd

23. By Rob01 on Apr 22, 2012 | Reply

K kolb needs somebody else to throw too

24. By cardsalltheway on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Rob01,
    K. Kolb and J. Skelton need another offensive minded coach. If the new QB coach can’t make strides then expect more of the same this year. I don’t have any reason to believe Ken W. will empower any offensive coach enough(Todd Haley was an enigma) to do what is needed. Consider the polarizing effect. On the draft, scouts are never held accountable which suggests to me the nepotism effect which is worse than the bounty effect. The Cardinals are effected by things not visible or are in the back of the house. Have I mentioned the unwillingness to market the Cardinals as much as possible? Is there a radio station that allows Cardinal fans to call in after games, I think Phoenix Suns fans can call in after games but what about Cardinal fans?

25. By fink11 on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Darren, who do you think the Cards will draft between Reiff and Floyd if the are both there at 13 (which I think they both will be). Do you think they like Decastro or Ingram better than those two?

26. By Darren Urban on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

fink11 —

RE: Reiff v Floyd

All things being equal, I’d think it’d be Reiff out of all four. But no way to know if grades are relatively equal.

27. By William Barry on May 23, 2012 | Reply

To Cardsaltaway: the last time I checked, the Cards do have a call in show after the football game.