The possibility of a trade

Posted by Darren Urban on April 19, 2012 – 9:55 am

Ken Whisenhunt and Rod Graves will meet with the media in a little more than  an hour to talk about the upcoming draft, although I’m not expecting a whole lot of concrete statements (I am willing to bet they will admit that they would draft Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin if either remain on the board at 13, and I am willing to go out on a limb, given their tackle situation, and say they would take Ryan Matt Kalil if he were to slip all the way to 13 too.)

But as the draft gets closer and the smokescreens/convenient leaks increase — I’ve never heard so much chatter about what a team might do at No. 3 or how much they do/don’t like a player as I have heard with the Vikings and Kalil, all clearly to ramp up possible trade interest — there has been speculation about the Cardinals’ willingness to trade out of No. 13.

I will guess that Graves and Whiz will say they aren’t closing the door on any options. That leaves my opinion, I suppose. I don’t see any way they trade up. I guess you would be tempted if Kalil slipped — say to 10? — but the Bills pick at 10, need a tackle, and I don’t see the Cards with the firepower to be able to pull off a trade up because they don’t have a second rounder.

I think it’s moot anyway, because I don’t see a surefire player the Cards are going to want to trade up to get anyway (Kalil will be long gone). Trading down is a different story. Would they trade down? Well, most draft analysts seem to believe that once you hit players nine or 10, the talent level isn’t much different than the guys who will be available into the 20s. There are a few offensive linemen out there that should be there later than 13 if the Cards dropped. And if there was a chance to get another draft pick — maybe even a second-rounder to supplement what the Cards don’t have after last year’s Kevin Kolb trade — that would be attractive.

One thing I am sure of, however. Any trade-down scenario for the Cards wouldn’t materialize until the Cards would be on the clock, because no one is going to want to move into No. 13 unless they knew a specific player would be available. That’s how most draft-day trades happen anyway. It’s never simple, though. Trading down and acquiring an extra pick always sounds good, except that you have to have a team that wants to come up to do the deal. It seems like there’s never as many trades as people speculate there will be, especially in the first round.

Certainly, though, it will make for some intrigue in Tempe until we actually hear the pick — or something else — announced by Roger Goodell.

Tags: ,

24 Responses to “The possibility of a trade”

1. By Todd on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

I agree with you Darren. I think the smart move for the Cards would be to trade down to get a second round or early third round pick from a team that has more than one and I think there are a couple.

I know this pick will go against the norm but I think QB Nick Foles is going to fall to a late second or early third round pick and now that the Cards didn’t get Manning, Foles would be a good pick up. Foles is a big guy at 6’5″ and has a career passing percentage at almost 70% completions. He didn’t have near the talent around him that Andrew Luck had yet had more completions and yards than Luck did. I would like to see the Cards get a stellar pass rusher or a good second receiver like Stephen Hill from Georgia Tech with their first round pick. Pick Foles with second pick after trading down and use rounds 3 through 7 to shore up the offensive line and depth on defense.

2. By D on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Good piece Darren
    Everyone assumes trading down is easy, teams won’t pull the trigger at moving into 13 unless there is a player they want and are afraid of losing to another team, especially in the same division.
    Buffalo holds alot of power in terms of AZ pick, they could take the OT that would be great for AZ at 13 or draft Floyd and most likely leave that tackle available at 13

3. By Ron Sellmeyer on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

The Cardinals obviuosly need offensive lineman and a second wide receiver. My question is, where are they going to win a game on the road. Barely squeaked by in St. Louis the last two years and they will be better. Maybe get a win in Seattle. Then you have Green Bay, New England, SF, Atlanta, Jets, and Minnesota-maybe win. SF, Chicago, Detroit, Eagles, Dolphins and Bills at home. Not an easy schedule and Cardinals are not as good at home the last couple of years. As a season ticket holder the biggest concern is that the Cardinals SHOW UP each game. Cut out the stupid penalties Brown, Wilson, and Dockett. Forget about the Eastern time zone thing. That is an excuse, not a reason. Use a two back system more. Beanie is too slow to the line or their is just no blocking. The tight end position needs to be utilized more in 3rd down situations. Go Cardinals! You have a lot of work ahead.

4. By shane on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

hey darren.

Whos Ryan Kalil? i though it was a joke. lol

5. By Shaun M Church on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Good afternoon, Darren.

Have you heard anything about the rumor that Philly wants to trade up to No. 13 for Mark Barron to steal him from Dallas? If so, do you believe it holds water?

6. By greg on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Way to go Todd!

2 weeks ago I posted that trade down pick up a pick wideout with the first pick. I also sadi that I really like Foles out of AZ. Can you Imagine having Kolb, Skelton and Foles. WOW!! Foles will be a good pro, really good if he has time to develop, IMO.

Growing up in St.Louis and a lifelong fan I really like the direction the team is going. I feel the D is the best its ever been and getting better. OL needs to be a priority and reciever, where would this team be if Fitz is lost for extended time? pass rush I feel is a lower priority than OL and reciever.

IMO this team is only a few pieces from being real good.

7. By Darren Urban on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Shane –

RE: Kalil

Dang. Getting my Kalil brothers confused. Neither one will be playing for the Cards in 2012, I don’t think.

8. By Darren Urban on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Shaun –

RE: Trade

There are going to be lots and lots of rumors out there.

9. By John the Draft Guy on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Todd,
    I can’t say that would be bad if they grabbed Hill and Foles. My only issue about Hill is that he looks good in shorts but no production. Sure, the offense at GT didn’t throw the ball, but a 1st round pick on a WR who really did very little in college is risky.

I am OK with drafting Foles. I really don’t have faith in the 2 QBs we have to be long term answers. Foles looked good at the senior bowl, he is a big kid with a good arm. You are right about the lack of talent around him.

depending on how far we drop and if these players are available;
    drop down and take OLB Mercilus. If Mercilus is gone, take Mike Adams. I’m not high on a 1st round tackle, but the value and need are there.
    grab Foles with a 2 .
    I think Zebie Sanders will be there in the 3rd and would be a nice pick at OT if we get Mercilus, If we take Adams, no need to take sanders. We can look Wr or OLB or even CB at that point.

Speculation. If only all the players we want just fell perfectly into place.

10. By cobra on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

@ Todd:

I agree with you on Stephen Hill. This kid is off the charts in ability and talent. If we trade down, you have to take him or get a lot better at the corner position because San Fran will take him @ 30 if he is still there. Not what we need to happen. Their receivers are better than ours already.

11. By Rufus on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Trading down only works if the second round pick pans out. Remember, that 2009 second round pick Cody Brown never played a regular season game before being cut.

12. By John the Draft Guy on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Aww Greg makes my point again about the QBs;

Can you imagine fans in SD saying Rivers, whoever, Foles
    or New Orleans sayin Brees, whoever, Foles, or Rodgers, whoever and Foles, Or Brady….. Get the point.

Teams with QBs aren’t excited about getting a backup to come in. If Kolb or Skelton (see, we don’t even know which one of them is the guy) was the guy, we would be saying, get him weapons and protect him. Not, lets use a second on a QB, wouldn’t that be great!

With that being said, we must get a QB. Luck, Griffen, and Tannehill should be gone. So, dropping down and taking Foles is not a bad idea.

Whiz is in practice with these guys and sees the game tape. First he says it is open competition. Why? Cuz neither guy took the reins. Then, They sure jumped at the chance to bring in Manning.( ok, HOFer ) Reports come out about how bad Kolb’s concussion lingered. Uhhg..

OK beating a dead horse.. I won’t mention that we all will be talking about drafting Barkley or Jones next year. Whoops.

13. By drummer-1 on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Is this about a trading down or the schedule…lol

with that being said, I hope they can trade down and get a 2nd rd pick, i just hope we don’t go WR in the the 1st, but if they do i’m ok with that also..

14. By cobra on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

@ John the Draft Guy:

I think Foles is a great idea, yet I can think of 7 million reasons it may not happen. Yea it sucks. If things don’t work out this year I hope next years draft has 4 Lucks, 4 RG3s, and 5 Tannehills. I hope we don’t pick @ 13 again, really doubt it though.

In regards to Hill. We haven’t had a burner since Roy Green with any productivity. That’s why the PP experiment on offense happened last year. Even though Hill is still a little raw on routes, It would be great to watch SF corners burn out trying to keep up with a 4.30 guy which helps Fitz.

15. By Brian on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been reading that both NE and Dallas are very high on Alabama S Mark Barron. I think that puts us in good position to maybe trade w/ NE if they really want him since we pick right before Dallas. NE has two 2nd rd picks so I could see that being an ideal trade parter(in a perfect world of course).

16. By Todd on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Rufus, I think I recall Cody Brown playing in a regular season game. He was hurt early on and just never panned out, but I get what you are saying. You gotta wonder about Whiz and Graves sometimes after that pick and the Buster Davis pick. Rounds one through three should be sure things and if they are not DONT PICK THEM GUYS!!

17. By Born n Bred on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Amini Silatolu.. trade down get him and then go get LBs, Dline, S, Oline then if it makes ppl happy a WR i guess..

18. By johnnybluenose on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

i can’t see us taking a qb in any round this year. we have three qbs already. let kolb and skelton be allowed to show one or both can be good. bartel is good insurance. if things don’t work out for them this year, well then we will have to get a qb next year. there will be good prospects next year just as there are this year. if we were to take foles or even cousins this year neither would be any help to us this year. we need guys who can play NOW. and, as an aside, charlie batch re-signed with pittsburgh again. he must be the happiest man in football. he gets paid decently and has hardly had to raise a sweat in years, except for ben’s suspension a couple of years ago. if he keeps going, batch could break blanda’s record for the oldest player to throw a touchdown pass. no disrespect to charlie but if any team needs to draft a qb in the later rounds, maybe it’s pittsburgh. and darren, do you think leinart gets signed or is he done?

19. By Darren Urban on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

johnnyblue –

RE: Leinart

I could see him getting signed somewhere to at least go to camp. Might not come until much later.

20. By UC,CaseyIsatRaGeDY on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Hey DUDE (Darren Urban Draft Expert, which, BTW, is better than Darren Urban Intelligent Specialist),
    Do you have an opinion on Mark Barron, since he was brought up a few comments ago?
    Adrian Wilson has stated he’d like to play only two more seasons after this one and Barron is the top ranked safety.
    Not perhaps the team’s thinking, but yours.

21. By Darren Urban on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

UC,Casey -

RE: Barron

I don’t know a ton although I know he is talented and would seem to be an ideal replacement. But I don’t see him being a pick at 13.

22. By Eazy E on Apr 19, 2012 | Reply

Trade down only if somebody is offering something nice and Floyd or Ingram ain’t on the board otherwise… Draft Floyd 1st and probably Ingram 2nd if Floyd ain’t there.

23. By clssylssy on Apr 20, 2012 | Reply

All the draft hype is getting tiresome…they (FO) are gonna do what they’re gonna do and we will have to live with it. We did pretty good last year but it will be what it will be. I have confidence in Coach Whisenhunt as he’s proven to know what he needs even if some things didn’t turn out as expected. While there can be all kinds of speculations over who will take who and what each team needs, in the end, it’s not much more than a crap shoot. I was VERY happy with the way the team pulled the season out last year and am very excited for this season, although have to admit to a little concern at all the teams we will be playing in the cold outdoors as we have never done well under those conditions. LETS GO CARDS! WE ARE READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!

2. Apr 19, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | A draft presser without specifics