Sifting through smoky draft talk

Posted by Darren Urban on April 23, 2012 – 11:15 am

I listened to NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock make a point today that isn’t new nor something I hadn’t thought of, but it bears repeating right now: Any information someone from a team divulges about the draft or players in it knows what he is doing.

I never really like the term smokescreen because, to me, that tends to imply everything said is a lie. While there are obviously some lies being told around the draft right now, not everything is false. But I do believe that everything said, true or false, has a purpose, whether to make people think better or worse of a player or differently about what a team might do. It doesn’t mean you can’t make logical, educated guesses about who a team will pick when all is said and done, but unless you have a team’s draft grades, there is no way to know.

Which brings me to the element of the player talking draft. There has been a lot made this morning about an item in Peter King’s “Monday Morning Quarterback” that Larry Fitzgerald “badly” wants the Cards to draft Notre Dame wide receiver Michael Floyd. To which I say, that’s no surprise, but it doesn’t really mean anything. I have no problem with a team touching base with a player or listening when a player has something to say. Basing a draft pick on that doesn’t make sense to me. In 2006, Kurt Warner made it clear he didn’t think the Cards should draft a quarterback. Turned out Warner was right in thinking he was better than Matt Leinart, but it’s tough not to see the personal bias there. While Floyd could help the Cards, Fitz has a personal reason for wanting another high-profile receiver too. Just like on the flip side when Fitz’s buddy Steven Jackson didn’t want the Rams to take Trent Richardson (although Jackson understands reality too.)

Bottom line, there will be speculation increasing 10-fold this week. The benefit of hindsight Friday morning will show that most of it was wasted breath. But that’s what makes it fun. Greg Cosell of NFL Films, who watches a ton of video, did a mock draft based on team needs and strict on-field grades (off-field issues didn’t factor in for him) and he has Matt Kalil dropping to the Cards. That won’t happen, but it’s fun to dream.

Tags: , , , , ,

38 Responses to “Sifting through smoky draft talk”

1. By carlo italy 7000 on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

darren

lets make your mock like 2 years a go..just for fun)

2. By Chris on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

I really think the Cardinals options at #13 come down to a few players that will likely be there. Reiff, DeCastro, Floyd, or Ingram. I would think there is more emphasis on getting offensive line help but the Cardinals have shown that they have no qualms with grabbing a position that is not necessarily needed but can be improved upon by a higher graded player.

I also would not discount the possibility of the Cardinals trading back and attempting to gain a 2nd round or extra 3rd round pick, however, they must find a willing trade partner and that might not be viable.

Regardless, I am excited about the potential for next season and to see what additions we bring in to start their young careers.

3. By Dre on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Build the D get it faster and stronger ilb wr are a dime a dozen.

4. By Kurt on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

If Ingram is there the Cards will grab him

5. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Kalil… A guy can dream.

Every year the Cards seem to draft a position that surprises. Last year it was RB/FB. It may be that this year it will be punter. Coach Spencer was one of three ST coaches who went to Cal’s pro day and watched Anger punt. I think this year the Cards will have the focus of ball control and field position more than previous years. Punter can be big and if there is a punter they like that is there in the 6th round we may all be surprised by the pick,

6. By D on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Well, the good thing is that the odds of Floyd, Reiff, Ingram and Decastro all being available at 13 is slim to none. I don’t see Floyd and Reiff both still available for AZ, one will be gone and I don’t see Ingram dropping to 13, either he will be gone at 7 by Jaxville or someone will trade up in the top 10 to take him, maybe the Jets.

They will have to decide (if they stay at 13), between:
    Floyd vs DeCastro vs C. Glenn
    or Reiff vs DeCastro vs C. Glenn

7. By MoJo on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Completely of topic…Does Toller looks much better than he left the team last year? it seems that he added more muscle!!

8. By Darren Urban on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

MoJo –

RE: Toler

He does look more muscular to me this year, yes.

9. By D on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Darren
    Let’s say the Cards take a non offensive lineman at #13. Who do you see them starting at Right Tackle week one?

Resign B. Keith?
    Plug in J. Bridges?
    A 3rd round rookie Olineman?
    Restructure more contracts to sign
    an existing free agent tackle?
    thanks

10. By Darren Urban on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

D –

RE: OT

Wouldn’t rule out anything right now. I see them getting through the draft and then regrouping.

11. By cardsalltheway on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Biggest Draft Week Lies You’ll Here
    1)Brandon Weeden is a 1st Rounder – Not! He’s too old(almost 30 years old).

2)Any current player who says they don’t mind if a new player is drafted at their position ala Stephen Jackson of the Rams, is lying. S. Jackson said he welcomes Trent Richardson – Not! Makes me think about our RB(Beanie Wells) and our rookie(Ryan Williams) drafted in the 2nd round last year. Those Cardinal fans calling for a safety to be drafted this year – I don’t think A. Wilson would be very happy. And even most recently, the news that Fitz wants Floyd, well?????

3)Any coach who says they want Ryan Tannehill is lying! Head coaches don’t want developmental QB’s, it will take 3 years to develop him. GM’s might like R. Tannehill but NOT head coaches. So, Andy Reed does NOT want R. Tannehill even if he says he does. Makes me think about our 5th round QB drafted in 2010 and what Ken W. thinks about him? It also makes me think about how Ken W. didn’t think K. Kolb would need to be developed but that’s exactly what is happening or the excuse we’re given.

4)Any team that says “He was a winner in college” so we want him, wrong! Teams do not care about players team records in college(ala Kellen Moore’s 50-3 record at Boise State).

5)Any team that says they don’t care about marijuana tests(players getting caught smoking weed), is lying. Smoking is okay, just don’t get caught.

12. By Scott H on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Not surprising that Fitz would want another potential stud WR here, although I know he’s not gonna be in the war room on draft day making the picks. IMHO, Fitz knows this team is lacking at the WR position. He would NEVER say it, nor should he. But he knows that no one currently on this roster draws any of the D’s attention away from him. Let’s not kid ourselves.

13. By carlo italy 7000 on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

darren

after the press conference and what coach whisehunt said about what they are looking for a 3/4 olb dont u think donta hightower is a more ready player instead of ingram..is very intelligent.aleader respected from his teammates..he is hybrid lb who can play inside and outside..considering the type of defense ray horton run dont u think he can fit very good with cardinakls jersey??

14. By brad oneill on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

darren quit being so practical and just spit out a wild guess on occasion it makes it so much more fun to come back when the season starts and mock you for being wrong.

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Carlo –

RE: Hightower

Possible. I don’t know the grades, so I can’t rule anything out.

16. By Duane47 on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

While I would love to get Floyd at 13, from what I’ve been able to see this draft is knee deep in receivers, interior OL, and DL..
    I really won’t have a problem if the brain-trust goes with the bpa approach and can address their other areas that we fans think they should in the later rounds.
    Where we sit at 13 could be a prime location for a trade down to anywhere in the first round and pick up our 2nd round pick. Although in actuality R Williams is our 2nd rounder this year.
    My hope is for a trade down to the 14-20 area and a mid 2nd round or high 3rd round pick.
    It’s gonna fun whatever happens

17. By Eazy E on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Scott H-

We finally agree! If Floyd or even moreso Blackmon is there, run to the podium with the pick. I really like Ingram, J. Martin(stock is dropping a little bit even though I still like him), Hightower(maybe too high at 13 though), but you have to go BPA. Floyd will probably be the best player at 13 though, because Blackmon most likely won’t be there.

18. By D on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Hightower would make Horton very happy because he reminds people of L. Woodley and L. Kirkland. 13 is high for him, but…let’s say Philly wants SS Baron from ALA and need to get on the clock before Dallas, then I could see AZ dropping back a few spots to 15 and taking Hightower, then needing a OT in round 3

19. By Rich on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Graves, Whiz, Keim…….have proven that they know what they are doing. Draft week is always exciting. We’ll have a good draft.

20. By joe holst on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Trade down,acquire picks and go for pass rushers and speed on the offense.. and sign calais campbell to extension and you’ve had a great offseason.

21. By CZarr on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

I don’t know how you read through these comments without submitting to the desire to stab yourself in the eye with a fork.

22. By iammattyoung on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

In my opinion, it is irresponsible to opt for a WR in the first round. I think that the Michael Floyd hyping comes from the same media machine that is putting Ryan Tannehill in the first round (and the same machine that hyped Blaine Gabbert, another overrated Big-12er). The fact that anyone is thinking that Floyd is better than two-time Biletnikoff winner Justin Blackmon is absolutely insane.

I think that the Cards have to take the best player available at either OLB or offensive line. Not only are these areas of need, but the drop-off from the first to the third round is huge. WR is another story, with high-performers from big schools projected to last until the third — namely, Nick Toon, Ryan Broyles, and Marvin Jones.

I don’t think that trading down is an option. If you have a shot at Ingram, DeCastro, or Reiff, the talent gap is just way too big. That being said, my dream draft would be to take Ingram/DeCastro/Reiff (in that order) in the first, Broyles/Toon (in that order) in the third, Nate Potter in the 4th.

23. By Sean on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

@ CZarr.

Amen brother! I just used a spoon, myself.

24. By cardsalltheway on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Yes, and didn’t Fitz call for K. Kolb last year? We all know how that went. I think it’s defense in the 1st round(nothing new as of late). Way to go Ken W. with that theory, I’ve come to agree with you so please DON’T pick an offensive Lineman at the 13th pick – move down if possible or…
    1st round pick if available and if we stay at # 13, Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State[Dan Williams is a bust but could relieve F. Cox(and to save face) along with D. Carter]. Or CB’s Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina/Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama. Or outside linebackers Melvin Ingram, South Carolina/Whitney Mercilus, Illinois

Why? Because we already have K. Kolb who will have an entire OTA period and preseason to practice with the team(Levi Brown and R. Williams). We really do have plenty quality WR’s and TE’s(?) and if a RB gets hurt they are a dime a dozen. Just make sure to draft some Offensive L. mid-late draft rounds. There, fire me if I’m wrong, which is certainly more than any so-called scout can say.

We should only get a NT in the first round or early if F. Cox is available, otherwise focus on Outside Linebacker, CB, and Offensive Lineman, in that order. After that, with the other 2-3 picks go for another LB and RB.

Best player available DIDN’T work last year, so get players where we are weak and where our coaches might have a hope of coaching-up, which does NOT include our offensive coaches.

25. By cardsalltheway on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

I know it’s only preseason but if we get beat by New Orleans then I think I’ll have a pretty good idea the direction of our team.

26. By cardsalltheway on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

“Any information someone from a team divulges about the draft or players in it knows what he is doing.”

27. By cardsalltheway on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

“No team can build around a Left Tackle” is the talk this week. Well then, expect that theory to be quickly accepted by the Cardinals since that message is what I’ve heard recently and I doubt very many fans would be surprised if we didn’t draft an OT(left) in the 1st round?

What’s funny is that it seems the Cardinals have done exactly that the past few years with Levi Brown and no matter who might be drafted in the 1st round at LT, we all know who would still start at LT don’t we? That means, we will NOT draft a LT in the first round even if Kalil fell from # 3 to # 13 or Riley Reiff fell that far.

The meaning of the BPA has gone to !@#$%^&*()_+

28. By Mike in Mesa on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway

How do you figure Dan Williams is a bust? Or were you just talking about his arm?

29. By D on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Curve ball
    Fans shouldn’t stress out if all the mock draft guesses we see on the web don’t go as planned, fans like the front office need to be ready for a curve ball.
    Like the follow scenario that could play out:

#7 Jags take M. Floyd. (former WR AZ coach J. Sullivan would love to get more weapons for their QB and this kid is getting a lot of hype lately)
    #10 Buffalo takes R. Reiff, a need for them.
    #12 Seattle takes M. Ingram, best pass rusher on the board.
    Then, I would like to see AZ call some teams to move down, even if it’s to #15 to the Eagles to grab their 3rd round pick to do it. Eagles may want SS Barron from AL and probably don’t want Dallas at 14 to take him. (which they badly need)
    Then at #15 I would say they draft D. Hightower the best LB over a C. Glenn OT
    (best remaining OT)
    we will see if any crazy things like this occur..

30. By Darren Urban on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

D –

RE: Curve ball

I would argue that your scenario isn’t a curve ball at all. I think it’s all realistic.

31. By Soares20 on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

@Cardsalltheway,
    could you please explain how drafting the best available player didn’t work last year??? We recieved PP21 who is going to be a shutdown corner in this league, a potential star running back in Ryan Williams, great developmental tight end, a starting linebacker, a starting full back, a steal in the 6th round who competed well with a first round pick. Soooooo explain how last years draft was so bad? and if we shouldn’t take the best available player and take where we are weak I’m guessing you are thinking we should take Kirk Cousins? he’s not the best player but don’t worry we can coach him up lol.

32. By cardsalltheway on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Soares20,
    Don’t you think we needed a CB last year as well as a linebacker or two? I don’t see how they count as BPA. Our BPA’s last year were clearly at RB, TE(R. Housler), and FB(A. Sherman). I do like the FB but he sure was costly for someone who didn’t get much playing time last year. A potential star doesn’t count and neither does a developmental player who hasn’t done much of anything. I have confidence in J. Skelton and R. Bartel, I just wish someone else would show the same. No need at the QB position. I thought I made it clear about the lack of coaching up on offense?

Mike in Mesa,
    Because David Carter(6th round) is as good as Dan Williams(26th pick).

33. By Eddie on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

i think the cards will be takin stephon gilmore in the first round. With running going out of style the cb position is huge and ill tell u why they will make this move in my blog http://halftimechat.com/2012/04/top-5-defensive-secondary-players-in-the-2012-draft/

34. By Scott H on Apr 24, 2012 | Reply

Eazy E -

RE: Finally, we agree!

Well, alright! I always knew we would get there someday…yes, I have to hope that this team is thinking WR going into the draft. There is NO way they did nothing in free agency and can believe that they are fine with what they have. Not saying they have to take a WR in the first round, but they HAVE TO come away from this draft with a WR who they expect can play NOW, play OFTEN, and play PRETTY DAMN WELL. To not do so would be to have ignored an obvious need with near criminal neglect.

35. By cardsalltheway on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Scott H,
    We are stacked at WR compared to other positions i.e. RB etc…I can see a WR being chosen late but only after a RB in the 6th round.

36. By Mike in Mesa on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway

So by your reasoning Carter is a bust then if he is as good as Williams. Or could it be they are both good players and we got a steal with Carter? I see nothing wrong with 2 good players at the position and its way too early to call this pick a bust. Williams was playing very well until hurting his arm, in my opinion and Carter played well also. Nice to have the position covered with 2 excellent players, not bust players.

37. By SHAWN MCDERMOTT on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Michael Floyd Will be in a Cardinal Uniform ,ill pray toGod tonight ,please take him ,an az cards need a QB ,Lets get TENNEBAUM ,,TRADE KOLB !!!! Hes injury prone ,were getting better ,just need these players, trust me

2. Apr 25, 2012: Anquan Boldin&#39s charity weekend draws NFL stars like Kurt Warner, Larry …