A chance to mock

Posted by Darren Urban on April 25, 2012 – 5:00 pm

Here it is, the long-awaited-and-yet-not-any-more-likely-to-be-anything-but-mocked mock draft from yours truly. To be clear, I have not sat back and broken down hours of tape nor do I know what’s on anybody’s draft boards, including the Cards. This is about making educated guesses, which as we all know when it comes to the draft usually means little. It doesn’t include any trades, which would/could blow it up quickly (although as I write this comes the rumor the Bills are willing to trade from 10 to 3 to get T Matt Kalil; If I am the Vikings, you better be sure you like a guy at 10. You don’t want to give up a potential stud just for a draft pick.)

In my mock, the Cardinals ended up with tackle Riley Reiff. By the time the Cards picked in my virtual world, the top two receivers (Blackmon and Floyd) are both gone and so is the guy likely considered the best potential 3-4 pass-rusher (Melvin Ingram.) I have guard David DeCastro falling all the way into the 20s.I feel confident I have hit on my slots for Luck and Griffin, however.

The best part of my mock? That it is done, which means we are about 24 hours away from the real draft and no longer have to speculate and instead actually see actual draft picks being made.

Tags: , , , ,

43 Responses to “A chance to mock”

1. By D on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Good job D. My last Mock draft is as follows:
    (based on AZ not moving from original spots)

1) R. Reiff OT
    3) J. Kaddu OLB
    4) TY Hilton WR
    5) D. Ihenacho SS
    6) R. Leary OG
    6) K. Brown DE
    7) best available

2. By UC,CaseyIsatRaGeDY on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

While I do see Reiff as the probable pick, I wouldn’t be surprised to Ingram(if not SEA) or Floyd (if not JAX or CAR) if available.
    I think Mark Barron and Chandler Jones will be picked quicker than Quinton Coples and Luke Kuechly, though.
    Harrison Smith in the first round? Are you still relying on information from Scouts, Inc?

3. By in fitz we trust on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

nice…. lol at patriots trading pick

i hope we end up getting micheal floyd, to me he is the best wr in the draft( yes i said it ) weather its taking him at 13 or trading up a few spots.

our 3rd round pick is gonna be the most interesting pick.

when u look at our last 2 years of drafting i think graves, keim, whiz an co. have dont a hell of a job.

cant wait, i WILL be leaving work early to watch this thing happen.

4. By Mr.Ramirez on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Pretty smart draft. I see Rieff or Floyd being Cards pick. As you say it pretty much depends on Bills pick. If both gone and ingram still available hes the pick.

5. By Andy Kwong on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

I’m hoping it is Michael Floyd

6. By Andy Kwong on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

I prefer the team draft a OL in the 3rd round. WR in my opinion is not that big of a need for the AZ Cards but having another good wideout for this team would be good. We have the running backs in Beanie Wells, Ryan Williams, Alfonso Smith, and LaRod Stephens-Howling. We have good tight ends in Todd Heap, Jeff King, and Rob Housler. We have great Wide receivers in Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Roberts, and Early Doucet. We have okay linemen in Lyle Sendlein, Levi Brown, Daryn Colledge, and Adam Snyder. To complete the line, I think the team needs to find one in free agency or just the 3rd round of the draft. We have the QBs in Kevin Kolb, John Skelton, and Rich Bartel. We have the secondary in James Sanders, William Gay, Toler, Adrian Wilson, Kerry Rhodes, Rashad Johnson, and an okay one in A.J Jefferson. We got the LB in Paris Lenon, Bradley, Washington, and Acho. We got DL in Dockett, Campbell. We have all the weapons necessary to make it to the playoffs. Michael Floyd or Blackmon would be great. Riley would be okay but we really don’t need to use our first draft pick on a linemen.

7. By WildCard on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Stephen Hill is the next Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald. Mark my words. Trade down to get him. That is the best situation. That is all. You may continue with your lives.

8. By Cactus jeff on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Please coach Whiz, do not listen to Darren. Eli, Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz beat the Niners not a great offensive line. Cards have to get a WR in the first round, develop Housler and see what happens.

9. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

Looks pretty sound; the only question I wonder about (since we’ll never know) is what their grades are for DeCastro and Reiff, and how much of a debate it will be if it plays out this way.

10. By Stephn Baldetti on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

I ‘m hoping we get Floyd. Keeping my fingers crossed. Just needs to get passed Buffalo

11. By cobra on Apr 25, 2012 | Reply

@ wild card,

I agree on Stephen Hill. You, myself and only a couple others have. He will be outstanding. Still a long shot for the cards to drop down to take him. The more I think about it, they may go defense if they drop to a late round pick. Hope to hell San Fran doesn’t draft Hill. Then again, I’ve said this before, we will see.

12. By jonnyb on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

floyd please!God i pray

13. By smack28 on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Wildcard – I am with you regarding Stephen Hill. I would not be surprised to see a team take him sooner than Michael Floyd. I am amazed at how many Cardinal fans want Floyd to be the pick. I know these people have not watched enough film to make that determination. As I have stated over and over, this team needs a burner at the second receiver spot. I do like the way Floyd catches the ball away from his body, and he has decent speed. What I don’t like is his lack of quickness, inability to release off press coverage, and his limitations running the entire route tree.

At 6’4 with a 4.36 40 time, Hill’s upside is tremendous. He is a burner (see his 29 yards per catch) with great ability to explode out of breaks. His hands are decent and will only get better with reps. He is green, but I am sure Fitz could help coach him up. He is also the best blocking WR in the draft. Mark my words, Hill will be the best WR of this draft if he ends up in the right system. The best system for him is the Cardinals offense.

The draft should be exciting tonight. Hopefully, a trade partner surfaces and the Cardinals move down four or five spots and land a mid 2nd round pick. We then grab Hill in the first and take Right Tackle Massie from Miss in the 2nd.

14. By VonKromDom on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

I wonder if there is a player that New England likes enough to trade up to the Cardinals spot so the Cards can get both the Pat’s first rounders. May be a little bit of wishful thinking. But I bet if they could swing that deal, they jump all over it. You could potentially get Dont’a Hightower and Stephen Hill, Kendall Wright or Jon Martin. I really like Hightower, I think he would fit nicely in t Horton’s defense. He can play both inside and outside backer positions.

Do you get a sense that the Cardinals would prefer to move back than stay put at #13? I know it all depends on who is there when they pick. But is seems from things they say in interviews that they would really prefer to move back. As it seems there is a drop in talent after the first 6 or 7 picks. You do have to take a lot of what is said with a grain of salt though.

15. By jeffgollin on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

The only thing certain is the uncertainty.

16. By jwitcards on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

That time is here… I beieve the Cardinals have found there identity and that is Run/Defense. That being said, the first round can give us the chance to grab Decastro (imagine the holes), or Melvin Ingram (pass rush), or IMHO the best WR in the draft Stephen Hill (even though I prefer go heavy on Defense in order to give Horton every chess peice he needs…) Lets go Cards!

17. By ld14 on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Just curious. Do you think the Cards in that scenario pass on DDC because Synder was “their splash” for FA and he’s set to start RG?

18. By D on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

In terms of need, I think many AZ fans are off. WR is not the #1 need.
    Need: 1- OT
    Need 2 -pass rusher
    Need 3 speed WR (which is not floyd)
    Need 4 future SS
    Need 5 depth at DE
    Need 6 depth at OG

19. By alan on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

I have to say Darren I probably agree with your mock as much as any other I have seen.

20. By jason on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

@Cactus jeff

The key player you stated in your comment was Eli Manning….A great QB makes other deficiencies less noticible. Are Nicks and Cruz elite recievers or is it a reflection of QB play?

From the articles/blogs that Darren has written I think our team puts alot of effort into the draft board/grades so whoever we pick should be the best player available.

21. By shane on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Darren

Who do you think will be the biggest sleeper?

22. By Paul on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

I hope we get Floyd. we need another wide reciver that will be a real 2nd Wide Out

23. By Dre on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

D you better be ready you will be typing and uploading all weekend till next week. Lets get the d stronger

24. By Darren Urban on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

VonKrom —

RE: Trade

I think they wouldn’t mind trading back at all.

25. By Darren Urban on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

ld14 —

RE: DeCastro

I think the reality is a guard is a guard, and they aren’t as valued as other positions.

26. By Darren Urban on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Shane —

RE: Sleeper

Honestly, I have no idea how to answer that.

27. By John on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Hi Darren,

I didn’t really understand the comment in one of your other articles about how you couldn’t see the Cardinals drafting David DeCastro when they just signed Adam Snyder. I like Snyder, but lets be honest, he is a 31 year old Journeyman… You couldn’t see them drafting an anchor on the offensive line for a decade because we signed a “spot” starter that maybe has 2 years left in his career ????

28. By Darren Urban on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

John —

RE: DeCastro

Let’s put it this way: He’s a guard. And guards, usually, aren’t difference-makers. If he is graded so much higher than others available, yes, I see your point. But reality is he probably won’t be. All things being generally equal, you go for a more impactful position.

29. By D on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

The thing to watch is if Barron is still on the board when AZ is ready at 13. Then, I bet we could move down to 18 with SD, who is very interested in him, still pick up Reiff and gain a 4th round additional pick

30. By UC,CaseyIsatRaGeDY on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Now that you’ve had a chance to sleep on it, Darren, any second guesses with your picks?
    And since you’re the team reporter and have the inside knowledge, you’d have no problem betting your mortgage payment on Reiff, correct? (‘Cause that’s what I kinda did.)

31. By Eric Fontana on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Steven HIll: 49 CAREER catches and can’t run a route. Biggest bust in the draft. I can’t believe so many of you are on this guy.

D- Love the trade down idea with San Diego, except that we would get AT LEAST a 3rd, not just a 4th. I don’t see Reiff going anywhere between 14 and 17, and I don’t see anyone trading up for him either. Would be a risk, but if that is the way we want to go…

32. By Kurt on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

This is very interesting:
    Why the Arizona Cardinals will not draft an Offensive lineman in 2012

makes sense

33. By Darren Urban on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Kurt —

RE: article

My guess: You wrote it?

34. By dynasty1717 on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

My preference list would be as follows at the 13th spot:

1)Kuechly
    2)Barron
    3) Gilmore
    4) Brockers

I don’t think any of the OL that will be on the board at 13 are worth the 13th pick. Michael Floyd is OK, but I think we could get good value in rounds 3 or later. He is NOT going to be a premier WR. I hope they don’t go Reiff at 13.

35. By DJ on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Draft Stephen Hill!

36. By Kurt on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Darren:

Good guess, thats why it makes sense to me>
    I hope everyone enoys the draft and the Cardinals prevail.

37. By shane on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Hey darren!

so whats the chances we draft russell wilson maybe in the 3rd round?

38. By Darren Urban on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Shane —

RE: Russell Wilson

I wouldn’t hold my breath.

39. By cobra on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

@ Eric Fontana,

Re: Stephen Hill,

How do you know he can’t run a route? He played in a triple option offense. His job was to run downfield with 4.3 speed and average 30 yards per catch. You can teach a reciever to run a route, you can’t teach speed or jumping ability!

40. By Corgon on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

According to coach Whiz’s statement i don’t think the cards will take any other O-line man than Kalil or Reiff with the 13th overall. Obviously Kalil will long gone by that time and I agree with Darren about Bills will take Floyd. I smell a trade (somehow I have a feeling that we aren’t so high on Reiff).
    If neither Floyd, Ingram, Kuechly will be available, then I think the Cards will really start to look around for a trade. If any of them will be there at 13th i’ll be happy. We’ll end up with a great talant or a pretty good deal with trading down. Unfortunately I don’t thin any of them will be there.

I think:
    Reiff or a fair trade down and best receiver/Pass rusher/left tackle available in the first round.

41. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

@Cobra,

Sounds very similar to the arguments made for Darrius Heyward-Bey when he was drafted; not quite as easy as it sounds.

42. By Eazy E on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

They overpaid for RG3? Really Darren?? A potential franchise QB, they paid almost nothing if he’s a franchise QB.

43. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Eazy E —

RE: Griffin cost

Key word in your sentence: “If.”

If he becomes Rodgers/Brees-esque, you may be right. But if he isn’t that? If he’s Joe Flacco, a good but not great QB, they’ve set themselves back.