A ride for a Gorbachev, and other NFL stuff

Posted by Darren Urban on April 26, 2012 – 1:24 pm

Life isn’t all about the NFL draft the next few days. Turns out Mikhail Gorbachev — yes, the one-time leader of the Soviet Union and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize — is in town to speak at a fundraiser for the Thunderbird School of Global Management. He needs to get back to New York, where Cardinals president Michael Bidwill just happens to be headed Sunday for some NFL meetings, Bidwill said during an interview on Ch. 12 this morning while previewing the draft. Since Bidwill is also a pilot, he said he will be giving Gorbachev and his group a ride.

Of course, life is mostly about the draft in my part of the world. So we wait for the first pick coming in less than four hours. There’s been lots of talk about potential trades. Nothing yet though.

– Reportedly the Vikings have CB Morris Claiborne as the No. 1 player on their board. Goodness, I hope that’s because Luck and Griffin are already locks to go elsewhere.

– It sure seems like there could be a trade possibility when the Cards are on the clock. A lot can happen between then and now. Options could be there, though.

– I know this is the last place where you’re thinking “Pro Bowl,” but the league is reportedly thinking about suspending the Pro Bowl. Clearly, that game has gotten worse the last couple of years. It did bring up this interesting tweet from Dominique Foxworth, president of the NFLPA: “The Pro Bowl is an important tradition we are in talks with the league to improve and preserve the game for our players and fans.” It definitely needs improving to give it a reason to go on.

– Finally, for ongoing, interactive draft chat, feel free to follow me and ask questions on Twitter, @cardschatter. I’ll respond as much as I can as we go through the afternoon and evening.

Tags: , , ,

16 Responses to “A ride for a Gorbachev, and other NFL stuff”

1. By D on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

I would make Gorby pay for the jet fuel.
    Who does the front office send to NY to sit at their table
    to answer the phones?

2. By Darren Urban on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

D –

RE: Phones

To be honest, I am not sure.

3. By Travis on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

What are the chances of trading out 13 and getting a couple second rounders? realistic?

4. By shane on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

darren what do you think about this.

select players that will make up 2 or 4 teams for the NFC and AFC and have them play each other in a 8v8 flag football tournament in the hawaii stadium. have 2 fields going at the same time. let fans down on the field to interact with the players and see them up and close. it would be fun for the fans and the players still dont get hurt and get there free trip to Hawaii.

5. By Devin on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

I’ll volunteer to go to New York to answer the phone from the war room and run the draft cards to the podium! just pay the expenses and about $50 a day for food, and you won’t have to pay me anything hourly!

6. By Dalton on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Do you think there is a possibility of Cardinals moving up to get michael floyd? I heard they think very highly of him. is this true?

7. By Darren Urban on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Travis –

RE: Trading down

Chances of trading down very realistic. Getting a second-rounder isn’t going to happen.

8. By Darren Urban on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Shane –

RE: Pro Bowl options

I don’t know if players would care to do that.

9. By Darren Urban on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Dalton –

RE: Floyd

Move up? No. But he would be a consideration if he’s there at 13.

10. By Rufus on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

Read your post that Decastro likely won’t be chosen because the cardinals signed Snyder. Do not understand that logic as Snyder is average at best and Decastro presents a solid upgrade.

11. By Rich on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

If Floyd is there at 13….gotta take him.

12. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 26, 2012 | Reply

@Rufus,

I too, am in favor of going with DeCastro but I get what Darren is saying. Tackle is more of an impact position than Guard. However, putting that aside, Snyder is actually a pretty good RG, but RT hasn’t proved to be his best position. If DeCastro is an upgrade over Snyder (which I’m convinced he will be, for the record) think of how big an upgrade a guy like Reiff/Levi would be over Keith – or as it stands right now, Bridges.

Where I do differ with Darren’s idea, and it’s only in this situation, is I see 7 blue-chip prospects who are ready to start and play well from day one (not saying there aren’t more, but the others have question marks the first seven don’t). DeCastro is one of the seven, and I think getting somebody that good at #13 isn’t something we should bypass (if available), even if it is a Guard. I’ll take my chances with Snyder at RT in that situation.

13. By Eazy E on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Claiborne is really good because the cowboys had him #2 on their draft board also. I was thinking the same thing though, QBs gotta be 1 and 2 respectively.

14. By Beau on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Darren, if you have the connections, can you please make the suggestion to put the Pro Bowl back to after the Super Bowl? Players choosing not to play and then having alternates play who really didn’t deserve it (Levi Brown, Jermaine Gresham, etc.) is what is ruining the game. Even if you get less ratings after the Super Bowl, it’s still more than if you suspend it!!!

2. Apr 27, 2012: A ride for a Gorbachev, and other NFL stuff | football-feed.com
  3. Apr 29, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | Gorbachev with Cards gear, and the UDFAs