• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Cornerback Fleming over OL in third

Posted by Darren Urban on April 27, 2012 – 7:54 pm

OK, the Cards didn’t take an offensive lineman in the third round. They stuck with the BPA, going with Oklahoma cornerback Jamell Fleming, who did 23 reps in the bench press and ran a 4.43 40 at the combine and basically was better than the offensive linemen available.

“We’re looking for an opportunity to address the offensive line but you don’t want to do it at the expense of other players that can bring more to your football team,” general manager Rod Graves said.

Graves said the draft isn’t the only place the Cards can look for offensive linemen, and there are still five picks left in the draft anyway. There definitely wasn’t a sense, from either Graves or Whisenhunt, that there was a tackle who tempted them when the pick came up — not compared to Fleming.

Coach Ken Whisenhunt likes what Fleming can bring not just to the secondary but also special teams, which is needed. Whiz also said last year’s draft was successful, and in part that was because the Cards didn’t reach. “We didn’t try and fit a perceived need as compared to finding a fit for you, and that’s what we see Jamell as.”

Certainly, Fleming doesn’t have any lack of confidence. He talked about getting here and being in the mix, and when he was asked about playing special teams, he said “I have a highlight reel just on special teams.” I’m guessing he’ll fit in well with the Cards’ group of defensive backs (although I can already picture Adrian Wilson rolling his eyes.)

Graves said this has nothing to do with Greg Toler’s rehab, and that Toler is on schedule to return. But with Patrick Peterson, William Gay, Toler, A.J. Jefferson, Michael Adams and Fleming, there might be some decisions to be made (although it is possible Fleming can play a little safety, a la Richard Marshall.)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

68 Responses to “Cornerback Fleming over OL in third”

1. By Christo on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

You know what our FO needs to do? They need to listen to the FANS.

Our OL is TERRIBLE. Our record is 12 and 20, yes TWENTY. They are NOT doing it right. The proof is in the pudding.

Our strong finish last year? 2 wins against a 2 win team, 1 win against the Browns, and we beat a .500 Seahawks team. None convincing wins on the season.

This team will keep struggling until the OL gets an upgrade. Sadly it won’t happen under this regime.

2. By Mark G. on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I like this pick; I agree the Cards should stick with the “Best Player Available” strategy. I have faith in what they’re doing.

3. By DontTakeLoses on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Can’t have enuff talent at CB. This kid can play. ADub will chop him down to size. Good pick. BPA… gotta love it.

Darren: Has our “other” starting tackle from last year signed anywhere? Is he healthy??

4. By Rich on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I kinda like the Flemming pick…..I get it. But if A Dub goes down, neither Gay nr Flemming can play strong. That leaves Rashard. He’s not tough enough. And the O-line…………….I don’t know. We need to get a couple O-lineman in this draft. And we definitely need another outside linebacker or two. Maybe a trade coming later. Flemming fits……….and I like the kid……….but not sure this is the optimal move.

5. By UC,CaseyIsatRaGeDY on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Cards are going to have the best special teams ever!
    (Isn’t the NFL trying to get rid of kickoffs, BTW?)

6. By Dre on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

That’s a weird pick I thought we pick up gay for that reason . Kinda of upset about this pick

7. By casey on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

great pick up now lets drop or trade no can cover money mike adams and lose a little money leak

8. By JD on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I like this pick! Flemming immediatly improves our secondary and special teams. Besides like Darren said we still have 5 picks left. Not worried…..yet.

9. By Jesse on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

This is a great pick. I know casual fans are going nuts, but this is what good franchises do. They pick BPA and improve the team with the goal of the long term in mind, not the short term. Teams that draft for need, reach, panic, fall in love with a player, etc generally do not draft well.
    A lot of people disliked our draft last year but it certainly panned out well.
    I am glad to see our team draft like team looking to win now and in the future.

10. By shannon robinson on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Brandon Mosley will be around at our next pick – Auburn OTs are pretty solid. Sounds like we’re bringing back Brandon Keith for the vet minimum – he’ll be looking for a roster spot. My surprise addition this year is another Brandon Williams who was a fourth round draft pick for the Dallas Cowboys out of Texas Tech – he’s been in the league for three years and that’s about the time required to make a full transition from DE to Outside LB. So now this years 4th Round pick surely goes to the offensive line, not an OLB. Mr. Graves and Mr. Keim must have a plan we can’t fathom.

11. By D on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Unless this kid becomes Adub’s replacement, it was not a good pick- he could not be more valueable than a Pass rusher. If Grimm doesn’t want to coach and develope young Olineman, then he needs to go.
    I doubt they can cut enough players or restructure enough deals to afford McNeal type FA OL on the market, so I bet we get the spin control of how B. Keith has the tools to improve.
    Only good thing is that next year is suppose to be a strong OT class so AZ should get a solid one in the top 10, unless a WR falls to them….

12. By TONY on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

LETS STOP AND TAKE A LOOK AT THIS REGIME THIS IS THE SAME ONE THAT TOOK US TO THE SUPERBOWL… I HAVE BEEN A FAN OF THE CARDS SINCE THEY BEEN THERE, AND THIS IS THE BEST REGIME THAT WE HAVE EVER HAD. SO GREART JOB AND LETS GO CARDS……… ALL THE WAY FROM ALASKA

13. By Brian on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Yes, the fans are smarter than the front office and have access to all of the scouting reports. Let’s listen to the fans who are sitting at home in front of their computers and not in a pro football facility with stacks and stacks of info on players available. Oh, and I must have forgot that every O-line in the league is built on 1st, 2nd and 3rd round players only…calm down.

14. By Dave the Puzzled season Ticket Holder on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

WHAT ARE YOU DOING Graves /Whiz???????!!!!!!!!!

We have Toler -Jefferson-Peterson and Gay —-and we need a CB WHY ???

We need OL & OLB !!!!!!! Hello!!!!!!!

This made no sense. None. Don’t bother to try and spin it either..

15. By Chris on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I wanted Floyd at 13 so they listened to me haha.

I have no qualms with taking best player available. It doesn’t make sense to draft an OL just because they are available and our current ones for a lack of a better word, blow. I wish we would have done better/more in FA to address the OL. I can’t rip the team for the Levi Brown incident for the last five years and be a hypocrite now. BPA all the way.

16. By Chuck 1 on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Christo, be careful, be VERY careful.
    The “Cards can do no wrong” police will be all over you.
    Trust me. cardsalltheway and I can vouch for that.

As I wrote on the previous blog, when I think of the Cards’ OL situation, I’m reminded of what Alfred E. Newman famously said: “WHAT, ME WORRY”?

17. By wonderingwhy on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

What in the heck are they thinking? Seriously? This is as bad as the trade for Boo Boo boy. He is going to be out by week 3 and Skelton will be running for his life again. I guess we needed more DB’s sitting on the bench instead of a quality O line. Terrible………………..

18. By cobra on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I understand the Fleming pick. First of all, our strength will be defense next year. We need depth and make all dbs to work for it. Also, for all of you who want to replace adub, well this maybe a small, very small start. I promise he will not retire for your benefit. This year will be hell in the NFC WEST.

One more thing, hated to see James going to the 69ers, and Osweiler to the buncos. Too late for Manning, too late for Osweiler. Buncos may win 3 sups in the next 10 yrs, that really sucks.

Atleast Hill didn’t go to a west rival, and Kolb or Skelton better damn well perform to their ablilties. Next years cap will not be any better than this years.

19. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

@Christo,

“You know what our FO needs to do?”

Exactly what they’ve been doing, drafting the BPA. You can cherry pick seasons all you want, but the reality is in their five-year tenure they’ve accomplished far more than any of their predecessors. I too, enjoy watching college football and whatever 10-15 minute clips I can find but won’t pretend for a second that it takes the place of a group of full-time scouts who have watched thousands of hours of live action and official game footage, completed hundreds of interviews, and could tell you anything and everything about every player in the draft.

If they’re telling us Fleming grades out that much higher than anyone else on their board I’d love to hear from any of my fellow arm chair QB’s what they saw that our scouts didn’t. Btw, I’d call a victory over a 13-3 team pretty convincing.

20. By ringlaterra on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

From NFL.com I see his combine 40 time is a 4.53, not a 4.43. He has average straight line speed for a corner, but great quickness and ability to change direction as Whisenhunt said. That is evidenced by his DB best 60 YD shuttle time: http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2012&workout=SIXTY_YARD_SHUTTLE&position=CB

Thanks! Go Cards!

21. By Nate on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I’m ok with the pick. If Fleming can make some big plays for the team they can games. I do wonder why a highly regarded coach Grim is not getting better results. I want results this year from the OL or some accountability and new players.

22. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

????? We have 5 CB that have had startomg experience and Bridges right now penciled in as the RT and no cap space, and the Cardinals go corner. Flemming is a good solid corner and should fit well into Horton’s system- but really?!

I am trying to reserve judgement until the draft is finished but…

On a related note, is there something off the fleld or medical about Bobbie Massie that has him dropping?

23. By brad oneill on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

christo- you may have missed that instead of getting blown out and blown up they were in almost every game last year, except the vikings game which was odd all around. The offensive line is an issue but its not impossible to find a lineman.

maybe they have a kid from some small school scouted out that they think will slip to them. or maybe they just figure with all these o linemen getting drafted there is bound to be a decent lineman released somewhere that we can scoop up.

24. By exatraz on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I will trust the FO rather then make rash assumptions that we are going to fail. Also there are still plenty of OL on the board. I think the FO saw that they could pick BPA and still get an OL later. I am not too concerned and all facts being, if someone other the Fitz is out there to catch the ball, I see Kolb or Skelton being able to get rid of the ball faster and thus take less walks. Also having a better WR core makes our run game stronger as they wont stack 8 in the box and double cover fitz. They will have to risk leaving now 2 good receivers open. Floyd is also a good blocker which will definately help in YAC for other recivers or help on the rush, need I remind you of Fitz’s spring of Doucet in the SF game. As for Jennings, I see him being converted to safety rather then staying at the corner but another hard hitting man for out special teams is always welcome.

25. By Tucson Cardinal on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

–Christo,

“Regime?” wtf? Its sports. Chill out. I like the BPA approach. Its a heck of a lot better than reaching for an OL when there’s a better overall play on the board. I’m not too familiar with Fleming, but I’m sure he was better than the available OL at the time.

Would you have preferred Reiff over Floyd? I didn’t. Rieff was more of a guard-type, and wasn’t that awesome.

Which right tackle would you have taken at the 80th pick?

Finally, yes, we did finish strong. Our whole team came together and balled like pros.

Go root for someone else

26. By D on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Okay, AZ can still get some good players in round 4. My favorite sleeper pass rusher is still out there, J. Kaddu, be good fit at OLB.
    Many good G’s still available, if they want to move Synder to Tackle, some names to watch in the morning, B. Washington Miami, J Brown Troy and R. Leary Memphis

27. By cardsalltheway on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

“They stuck with the BPA, going with Oklahoma cornerback Jamell Fleming…,”

Regardless of what Graves said below we NEEDed a CB. This “BPA” talk in funny.

“Graves said this has nothing to do with Greg Toler’s rehab, and that Toler is on schedule to return.”

Yeah right! Name one CB who had major(ACL) knee surgery and returned to the starting line-up as a CB in the NFL at the beginning of the next season?

Jamell Fleming – PFW Negatives:
    Average top-end speed. Limited functional strength — underpowered jam and is too easily sealed outside. Unreliable setting the edge and is a shoddy, grab-and-drag tackler. Unrefined technique. Loses at the line — struggles to reroute receivers and loses a step off the snap. Upright, slightly choppy pedal. Loses leverage. Suspect character.
    The good news…
    “As for the need at tackle, consider that Kansas City selected Oklahoma’s Donald Stephenson with the 74th choice, the first pure tackle selected since Cleveland chose Mitchell Schwartz with the 37th pick. The Cardinals aren’t the only team avoiding tackles in this range of the draft, in other words. Arizona’s next pick is 112th overall.”
    The above doesn’t mean much because Ken W. and Co. will NOT draft an offensive lineman. The last offensive lineman we drafted was…

In 2009, do you remember Trevor Canfield(OG) whom we drafted as the 254 pick in round 7b? He made our practice squad until Seattle picked him up. We also drafted an Herman Johnson(OG) in the 5th round.
    In 2008 we drafted only one offensive lineman, that was Brandon Keith(G) as the 225th pick in the 7th round.
    In 2007 we drafted but one – Levi Brown(OT), nuff said.

28. By samir on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Darren do you be;ieve if the cards draft a RT in the draft, they become starters from day one?

And if not what are their other options?

29. By Sam on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Cards DRAFT is as hot as HPR Ammo. When you stretch for a player to fit your roster at the moment and miss the BPA it hurts the team longer term. Good moves by Cards thus far.

30. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

At this point I wonder if it is worth drafting OL now. It is unlilkely that any of the tackles left will be starting in 2013 so you either have to go with Bridges or hope someone pops open sometime between now and the start of the season (which it sounds like Graves was suggesting- all with little cap space). Drafting a project tackle may make sense but I am tired of making due at the tackle. I hope saturday has some nice surprises. I have been been frustrated so far.

31. By Bubba on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Yah that’s what they need to do! Listen to the fans! Do we watch even 0.01% of the film that Keim, the scouts, Whiz, and Graves do? No. Do we have any relative experience coaching or scouting on any level? Probably not. But who cares about that! Listen to us! Does this front office have any idea how many scouting reports we have read from Mike Mayock, Mel Kiper, Todd McShay and his Scouts Inc. friends, Rob Rang, and the rest of the draft analysts out there? That means we always know the best answer. 1% of fans have ever seen Massie play, but 99% KNOW we should have picked him.

32. By sport245245 on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I’m reallly glad they don’t listen to the fans when it comes to football issues. . They did that once when they took Levi Brown to fill a percieved need and how did that work out? Adrian Petersen instead of Levi Brown because they reached to fill a need. I don’t get another corner back but if he can play some safety and special teams I’m ok with it. And p.s. they don’t ask you how you win, only how much. Don’t you remember how they had 10 point leads against the Giants and Ravens, and questionable calls in both games cost them wins. Also, if Early doesn’t get tripped up by the “turf monster” they probably win the Cincinatti game. Those are all playoff teams. Therfore, I call Bull puckey.

33. By noah on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I like this pick, and I’m surprised he made it this far considering how weak the Safety pool was. I think with his strength and tackling ability he would fit well at safety.

34. By trevor on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

uhhh christo…you are very stupid. we finished 7-2 so idk what your talking about. and would you like the cards to draft an linesman that will MAYBE make the team and possibly only contribute for a couple years as oppsed to a player that is a better football player and possibly utilize his skills for longer than the linesman. I hate the fact that people think, just cause we have holes in the oline to fill, we just take the first guy they see. Our football team is getting better nonetheless by taking quality players, even if there not filling holes. and theres still 5 picks left christo. maybe go root for another team if you hate this one so much. SMH

35. By shawn on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

hey christo why dont you back off there is a reason they are the coach and gm and your not. what listen to the fans, and what have it back fire when an ol doesnt pan out that you reached for, look at levi everyone likes to complain about him cuz we picked him in the first i bet if we took him in the fourth no one would say anything plus all the other o line that we could have looked at were off the board in the second so before you gripe look at it the way they did,

36. By Cardinalchris on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I like this pick way more than the Floyd pick. This kid can flat out cover and TACKLE. Love it!! However, not sure what they see in Floyd. His nickname will be Conjoined cause he can’t separate. Our QB’s need another WR that can get open. Fitz is so quick with his first few steps – I just don’t see that in Floyd. He pushes off nice though – can’t wait to see the refs call that.

37. By Jake on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

A problem we had is that our other WR`s (doucet and roberts) had trouble getting open while other teams doubled fitz, Floyd fixes that problem, so its not all on the Oline, Flemmings is a great value pick that can help this team from day 1, the OT`s? They will take time, NONE of them are starters, they are projects, and we dont need projects, our entire team started to play better towards the last half. Including the Oline, there is a reason we`ve only had 1 losing season in 5 years, 4 play off wins and super bowl appearance, (before whiz, we only had 2 winning seasons in 20 years)

38. By ZeroX on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

After hearing the conference call, this guy seems like he’ll be a great player. Wasn’t sure about picking a corner over OL at first but this pick looks decent, and BPA works for me.

39. By iammattyoung on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I watch a lot of OU football, and Fleming is a baller, but CB is such a loaded position on this team. If they were considering taking a corner, they shouldn’t have signed Gay. And we have literally no depth at the most important position in a 3-4 defense: the outside linebacker. Usually I’m no so not sure the front office should listen to the fans, but in this case I think the fans have a point.

40. By Dominaysean on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

@Christo quit cryiin and read the article. There are still LT’s available in FA that would be better for us this year than a rookie third rnd LT. We got the best player available and thats is how a good franchise handles the draft. Shmuck

41. By vegas4u2012. on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

@Cardfancolo,i disagree w/you.I think cardsalltheway should be the owner,gm.&head coach.That will give us at least one superbowl win before it comes to us in 2015.Also,i was at the game against the giants last year & watched kolb constantly running out of the pocket & throw off his back foot due to all the pressure.After the first 2 picks the fans should expect somewhat the same thing this year.Skelton is looking that much better to me right now!Because kolb(hopefully i’m wrong)-will not last the whole season.Also-GO COYOTES!!!!-THEY JUST WON GAME # 1.

42. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

DontTake –

RE: Keith

Keith is healthy and unsigned. He would be an option.

43. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

ringlaterra –

RE: 40 time

44. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Mark in Chandler –

RE: Massie

No idea. But the Cards aren’t the only team passing on him.

45. By Darren Urban on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Samir –

RE: Tackle

I don’t know. Probably a rookie would not start at this point. They could re-sign Keith. But to be honest, I haven’t looked at it very carefully.

46. By in fitz we trust on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

our secondary needs to be addressed just as much as our offensive line. its funny how people say “just fix the o line and our problems are solved”. the truth is we have below average corners. patrick peterson still needs a lot of work covering guys, hes gotten flagged for PI multiple times because he simply doesnt turn his head around when he needs to. remember he went to the pro bowl as a return man not a corner. out side of him we have toler coming of a major injury, before that toler was never great. we also have aj jefferson who i think has upside but hes a below average player. then we have william gay who i dont think will make an impact. even going back to the superbowl year, our o line wasnt any better than it is now, levi was actually playing worst, and the reason why we lost was because of our secondary. we need to build stability with patrick peterson and our new member fleming. this is my opinion and i respect others who dont agree but were one good corner and a pass rusher away from having one of the best defensive squads in the league. aside from that we still have plenty later round picks for o line men plus undrafted rookies, just because we dont go out and get a sexy name on draft day does not mean we cant find a solid pick up. alot, of the games we lost last year was not because of the o-line, but because our secondary wasn’t able to finish.

47. By Steve on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

All you People who talk crap about how the cards are not doing what you want them to do need to zip it. This is the best regime the cards have ever had. Yes best staff and decision making for the most part. Don’t get ants in your pants yet about the OL. I am sure they know what needs to be done. I like what they have done in the draft. BPA is the way to do it.It helps the Team for years to come. Besides did you like seeing Larry Fitzgerald double teamed all the time. Now what are these teams going to do. We have two Larry’s now.lol Keep up the good work.

48. By John the Draft Guy on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

OK, First, let’s talk about our 3rd rounder.

CB was a huge need. BPA? Maybe. But clearly a glaring need. Remember, you don’t just draft for this year.Toler is a FA next year and is coming off an injury. AJ Jefferson flopped when given a chance to start. And Gay is a Nickle back. This is one of the reasons I thought the cards should have considered Dre Kirkpatrick. Flemming will fit nicely into Horton’s sceme.

Now back to our first round pick.
    It is tough to know how to feel about this pick. I didn’t think we should go Tackle, so I’m not disappointed. I’m surprised we didn’t trade down. But most of all, I’m concerned if our QBs don’t play well, this pick will have very little impact. Floyd can make a real impact, but this team must get something more from the QBs.

As for round 4,
    Bobbie Massey, Zebrie Sanders, Brandon Mosley are all on the board. I disagree with Darren. I believe a tackle in the 4th can start this year, I would take any of these guys over Keith or Bridges.
    Interesting about Massey. Mayock was puzzled about him still being around and said he was going back to the tape, Something has red flagged him. But he falls 16 more spots, the cards should take this guy with the 17th of the 4th round.

As for passrusher, don’t know any of these guys left. I’m a defense of guy and would have went Mercilus in the first. Just like last year I would have taken Aldon Smith or Robert Quinn. Guess we will see if Schofield can do the job.

49. By Eazy E on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I like Fleming alot. We also needed another cb because Jefferson struggled mightily and Toler coming off a horrific injury and the previous year was up and down to say the least. OT is a big need but you can’t pick anybody. Massie is dropping for some reason and you don’t pick him because he is a OT, fleming was obviously a better player and value on the board. You have to go BPA as much as possible, if not all the time. McNeill is still out there among others, but he is probably our best option as long as he’s healthy. I also don’t think A-Wil will trip about Fleming’s confidence, he always has that number 3 or 2 jersey on and he said it basically means that is his ranking as a safety in the NFL, it is cocky confident, but you have to have that as a DB and back it up.

50. By ringlaterra on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the reply. The confusion stems from NFL.com having two different official combine 40 times for Jamell Fleming depending on where you look. This was the one I saw first: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/Jamell-Fleming?id=2532839

I hope the faster one is correct! Seems like a solid pick regardless.

51. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Unless there is a sudden run on OT’s early in the 4th round, there ought to be one available for us that also meets the so-called “BPA” tag. Why? Because not one was taken between picks 37 – 74. There has only been 5 OT’s taken so far. If we don’t pick an offensive lineman in the 4th round then we’ll end up with another Herman Johnson(OG – 5th round) like we did in 2009 or Brandon Keith(OG – 7th round) in 2008.
    We’ll soon find out(4th round) that offensive lineman can NEVER meet the so-called “BPA” according to Ken W. and Co.

Next Ken W. and Co. pick will be either a linebacker or running-back.

52. By AL on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

You ‘fans’ who complain about this pick are the same ‘fans’ who would moan if we reached for a OT who turned out to have 4th or 5th round value. Infact, you’re the same ‘fans’ who complain even when things are going well. If this CB isn’t very good WHEN WE PLAY A GAME then you can say this pick sucks but right now you know nothing about this guy.

BPA means that we get to fill our roster with great football players. Steelers and Packers are teams who have done that and it turned out allright for them…

Also I just want to say that this guy is a second round talent at least. I’ve been looking around for scouting reports and a lot of them say he’s a natural cover guy. Couple that with his speed, size and strength and you have a guy with a chance to be a really great CB. NFL.com has him ranked only six points (out of 100) lower than Michael Floyd and it’s not like Floyd was rated poorly.

53. By Christo on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Haha.

FA OL left? There is one worth naming. We didn’t bother bringing him in for a visit. Levi is our LT this year. He’s a REALLY great guy, he just happens to be the worst rated starting LT in the league. Oh well. Stump for him all you want.

Our OL is terrible, simply terrible. What we are doing under Whiz and Graves is NOT working. We don’t have a HOF QB covering for them anymore. See our success rate in that aftermath? The gleam of losing the Super Bowl has long worn off, by alot of sustained terrible football.

Yes, our secondary needs help. Maybe we could have started by retaining the guy our DC called his MVP? Maybe we could try to shore up the Pass Rush to take some pressure off? Nah we’ll just add a 7th CB.

The Floyd pick was great, DeCastro or Reiff wouldn’t have been a huge reach. DeCastro – Floyd – Reiff would have worked for me. BPA works great too, I have very hard time believing that Massie was so far below Fleming in grade that they could completely ignore him. Whatever, we’ll get him in the 4RD and all will be well. I mean all he would do is start day one for us at RT.

Too many of you are sugar coating our situation. If we won’t hold them to account, they won’t be held; that means us watching this frankly mediocre product week in and week out. Some of you are right though it was amazing watching us hang tight with poor talent down the stretch last year.

54. By cobra on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Okay, it’s really late. I love the feedback from the true cards fans. Just a warning for you though. I think the 3 headed monster just evolved from cardsalltheyway, to truths4all, to chuck-1 to Christo and maybe one other.
    Mike Ellingboe, you usually have good comments, so don’t let this person get to you.

Wow, I know the other, vegas4u2012.

55. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

The Bleacher Report does NOT have any team before us taking an OT. That means we could have the 6th OT in this draft, IF ONLY…
    4th Round Offensive Line Predictions:
    101. Denver Broncos (from Jaguars through Buccaneers): Ben Jones, C, Georgia
    112. Arizona Cardinals: Brandon Washington, OG, Miami (Fla.)
    115. Tennessee Titans: James Brown, OG, Troy
    121. Houston Texans: Bobby Massie, OT, Mississippi
    123. Philadelphia Eagles (from Packers): Zebrie Sanders, OT, FSU
    130. Baltimore Ravens (compensatory): Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn
    135. Dallas Cowboys (compensatory): Senio Kelemete, OG, Washington

56. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Bleacher Report 1-3 Grades:
    Cardinals – 1(13): Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame – Grade: C
    The Cardinals go best player available, and while I can’t argue with that approach, I wonder how they will keep their quarterback upright to get the ball to him. I say “their quarterback” because Kevin Kolb isn’t the kind of QB that will throw to a big receiver like Floyd when he doesn’t have an ideal pocket to throw from.

3(80): Jamell Fleming, CB, Oklahoma – Grade: C
    Fleming is a solid athlete at cornerback, but was inconsistent as a collegian. The Cardinals need some depth at corner, but not addressing the offensive line here is baffling.
    Cardinals Rounds 1-3 Grade: C

Browns – 2(37): Mitchell Schwartz, OT, California – Grade: A
    With his issues under pressure, getting Weeden a quality right tackle was more important than getting him a weapon in the passing game here. Schwartz isn’t a left tackle prospect like some of the OTs that went right after him, but he is an excellent right tackle who can start right away.

Panthers – 2(40): Amini Silatolu, OL, Midwestern State Grade: A
    An absolute mauler who needs some polish, Silatolu will convert to guard for Carolina. This is a good need pick for the Panthers after they lost Geoff Schwartz and Mackenzay Bernadeau. He could easily be one of the two or three best guards out of this draft.

Bills – 2(41): Cordy Glenn, OL, Georgia – Grade: A
    The Bills get a left tackle prospect in the second round that they were rumored to be considering at No. 10. Glenn improved greatly at left tackle over the course of his senior season in a very tough SEC.

Dolphins – 2(42): Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford – Grade: B
    Martin might have been overmatched at left tackle, but he will be a quality right tackle, and give the Dolphins insurance if Jake Long can’t agree to a new deal with the team next year.

Steelers – 2(56): Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State – Grade: A
    Pittsburgh gets an offensive tackle who was rated in the first round before a positive drug test at the combine and poor week at the Senior Bowl. The Steelers can tolerate the risk much more by getting Adams in the second round instead of the first.

Ravens – 2(60): Kelechi Osemele, OL, Iowa State – Grade: A
    Osemele played left tackle in college, but he will replace Ben Grubbs at guard in Baltimore. He will maul people in the run game just like Grubbs did and should do very well overall. Ozzie Newsome got two blue-chip players in the second.

Chiefs – 3(74): Donald Stephenson, OT, Oklahoma – Grade: C
    A solid developmental tackle, Stephenson can be a backup swing tackle behind Branden Albert and Eric Winston. Albert’s rookie contract is expiring next year.
    Raiders – 3(95): Tony Bergstrom, OL, Utah – Grade: C
    Certainly not one of the flashy picks the late Al Davis loved to make, but Bergstrom is a solid, smart player. That being said, he isn’t overpowering or athletically gifted.

Lions – 1(23): Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa – Grade: A+
    The Lions patiently waited and got the second best offensive tackle in the draft. Reiff is a high floor player who can start at right tackle before eventually succeeding Jeff Backus at left tackle. Reiff falls to 23 just like his former teammate Bryan Bulaga did in 2010.

Vikings – 1(4): Matt Kalil, OT, USC – Grade: A+
    GM Rick Spielman added an extra fourth-, fifth- and seventh-round pick, and still got his guy. Kalil is crucial in not only getting Charlie Johnson kicked down inside to guard, but also to protect their injury-prone franchise quarterback Christian Ponder. Kalil is the best pass-blocking tackle in the draft and it’s not even close.

57. By clssylssy on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

This draft is like watching a trainwreck! Is it me, or is Chris Berman the most annoying and rude man alive!? I won’t even comment on our draft pick because I’ve never heard of him, but, I will raise the question of how do these clowns and ESPN get this gig anyway Darren? After watching non-so patiently, pacing in front of the TV while talking to football friends from various parts of the country, our number 83 shows on the board and I’m thinking…”OK, here we go” ? No, it seems that Chris Berman is going to do a draftee interview with the Wisconsin kid drafted by our friends the seachickens and TOTALLY BLOW through our pick!!! And does Berman love the sound of his voice LOL! What the???? Now, I’ve seen this Wisconsin kid play when they beat Nebraska in Madison last year and him going to the chickens is somewhat disturbing on it’s own, but, it would be nice to get some sort of information about our pick when we are up. Fans watch the draft to find out about their team’s pick primarily and deserve more respect than to be dissed so publically. Even the Saints got more information on their Canadian pick than the Cards! The fact that we still are without the offensive help we need is becoming almost laughable. And then the Broncos get Brock Osweiller…GEEZ! I have to wonder why they don’t have actual players like Terry Bradshaw and the Fox crew doing this gig? This is as bad as watching Thursday night footballl when all you get is to see the commentators entertain each other with their longwinded insights and humorisms….
    I wonder if tickets are still available for the Coyotes game in the Stanley Cup playoffs…I’m feeling the need for some violence and it’s really awesome that Phoenix has a team in the running! I can’t take anymore of this!

58. By azfancolo on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

cardsalltheway put down the ding dongs and mtn dew and walk out of your moms basement and go outside for once dont be afraid of the sun

59. By Brad on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

MY NAME IS TONY AND I LIKE CAPITAL LETTERS CAUSE IT MEANS MY OPINION IS STRONGER THEN ANYONE ELSES, GO TONY!

60. By JJV on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

all I can say was the Cowboys have a great offensive line, but Thier secondary blew five wins.

61. By D on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

First pick in round 4 probably will be a pass rusher. He would be more value than any OL. You can get a OL in round 5 or 6. Still need a depth DE too.

62. By Colie on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

trade down to get lamar miller

63. By Donttakelosses on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Brandon Keith has potential when healthy. Looking for his return.

64. By clssylssy on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Some schools consistently turn out great players and our coaching staff has done an excellent job in the last few years of finding the guys with the right chemistry to fit in with our team. The Sooners have been going to major bowl games as long as I can remember and so talent wise, that’s a pretty good endorsement, as is LSU, Bama, Wisconsin, Florida, Michigan…Taking the BPA, even if it’s at a position we are already heavy at only makes sense since some of these guys will be traded and we want maximum value. It is what it is. GO CARDS!

65. By Eric G on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

What a steal, he was BPA when we selected in the 3rd and we still got him in the 4th. Outstanding gamble Graves and Whis.

66. By Mr.Ramirez on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Corners could be good. We are playing the Packers,Bears,Lions, and Patriots so corner is needed.

67. By DontTakeLoses on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Bobby Massie now a Card..OT.

68. By LUKE on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

regarding mark in chandler…massie is available as of last night so i bet we will get him.i didnt see any red flags with him,i guess he is just under the radar.with the mass of cb,s we have i think we could use one as a trade option similar to drc……