A quarterback in the mix

Posted by Darren Urban on April 28, 2012 – 2:11 pm

The Cardinals indeed decided to go with a developmental quarterback in the draft, taking San Diego State’s Ryan Lindley — a big (6-foot-3, 232-pound) and big-armed passer who struggled with accuracy. One analysis compared him to Derek Anderson. Lindley was a four-year starter and threw for 90 touchdowns. His TD-to-INT ratio as a senior was 23-8. But he never completed more than 57 percent of his passes and that dipped to 53 percent this past year.

“A lot of that has been my footwork, which I have been working on that a ton,” Lindley said. “I am at the point where I have enough individual training where I feel I have my feet underneath me and have a good platform to throw from. In the past … I have not had great feet, and I just needed to change that up.”

Lindley did lose his best two wideouts, current Card DeMarco Sampson and Vincent Brown, to the NFL before 2011. And he said the receiving group was beat up from injury and academic issues, but he took responsibility for his problems. “The stuff I could have controlled is really what I didn’t do well enough,” Lindley said. “The stuff with my feet I’m talking to you guys about.”

Lindley did work with quarterback coach Steve Calhoun and former USC and San Diego State coach Ted Tollner to fix his problems. I am sure Cards QB coach John McNulty will have something to say about it.

The Cards now have the four quarterbacks they will need for training camp. Usually, coach Ken Whisenhunt doesn’t want to have four total when the regular season arrives — there’s just not enough reps to go around — so the likelihood is that either Lindley or Rich Bartel will be fighting for a spot, assuming John Skelton and Kevin Kolb will be around. And I figure both will be around.

Tags: , , , , , ,

44 Responses to “A quarterback in the mix”

1. By khodder on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

The wild inconsistency and accuracy issues could remind of Anderson. But when he is at his best Lindley can make every throw that you could ever want to make on an NFL field.

2. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Lindley’s SDSU QB coach was Brian Sipe who played under Don Coryell, who guided the Cardinals in the 70’s to their best years until recently.
    It’s called the Circle of Life, or Rocket Man or some kind of Elton John song.
    I really like Bartel, though. Wonder if the crease of thinking that Skelton could be trade bait has crossed the Front office’s mind?

3. By david on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Kellen Moore, Short in hight but better then this dude.

what u think D?

4. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

David —

RE: Moore vs Lindley

I think I trust guys who scout this stuff for a living better than me, who saw Lindley play exactly never and watched Moore a lot of times but couldn’t tell you how he might translate.

5. By ben on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

great! dont the caches have enough QB’s to coach up with the 1 and 2. sorry to be critical but come on guys

6. By Secret on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Darren:
    Is it likely Lindey will just be in the practice squad while Bartel is still QB #3?

7. By khodder on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Moore does not translate period. His arm is not going to cut it, he puts no zip on his throws, he is too frail and too small to succeed and was a beneficiary of playing in the same offensive system in for 8 years.

Moore has zero value as an NFL QB.

8. By John the Draft Guy on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

3 OLineman in the same draft?? Love it. from 2007-2011 (5 drafts) we took only 3 Oline man total. With actual players to work with, you can judge Grimm how he develops these guys. Attacks on Grimm up to this point have really been unfair. Glad to see him get players to work with.
    Massie will start at RT, Potter adds real depth at LT and this guard gives nice depth behind Snyder.

Also, a QB, who has real potencial to develop, Lindley is a guy with starting potential. But has some serious flaws he must change. If he was more accurate. he could have went in the 2-3rd round. He can sit and learn this year, work on footwork with solid coaching, and have a chance to move up the depth chart next year. For a 6th round guy, worth the risk.

Adding a pair of DBs to a secondary that needs help. Good job.

My only disagreement is I wanted OLB Mercilus and they went Floyd. Both will be good players. Go Schofield. You have your chance, Go out and make me stop wanting to upgrade you.

9. By JC_AZ on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Trade Kolb for LB or LT and go with Skelton, Bartel and Lindsey…they are similar enough for the line to adapt…Kolb is running around all the time and the line never gets settled…

10. By AZ Cardinals Rock on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I am pretty stoked with the draft all except for one puzzling question, why would you pick a QB who couldn’t win in college when kellen Moore was still there and actually everybody on the planet had him ranked higher.
    I think the o-line picks are going to be great, I even think that Potter, a left tackle for three or four years at Boise st. may actually beat out Levi and With Massie on the right we now have a 5 year back up on the bench. thats ok, as long as we crush the 49ers at least twice this year. If Moore goes un drafted(quit watching after our last pick) might be a cool free agent pick up.

11. By Ezz on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

He kinda sounds like a smaller version of Skelton. I’d be surprised if he beat out Bartel with the way Bartel usually plays in training camp. Practice squad it is for him.

12. By johnnybluenose on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

i must admit this pick surprises me. i would like bartel to stick around but maybe he’s a luxury we cannot afford, assuming lindley isn’t assigned to the practice squad. if lindley shows promise then maybe kolb or skelton gets traded away later for a decent draft pick next year. then this pick makes some sense to me.

13. By Stewart Badly on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

This is the cardinals sending Kevin Kolb a massage, play well this season or you will not be with us next season. ouch

14. By NJAzCardsFan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Skelton trade bait….. No way! I would be willing to bet that if Kolb doesn’t come around in the Cards now 5 pre-season games, he’s gone especially with the Cards tight salary cap issues.
    The Ghost of Derek Anderson (Disaster Always) horrible season will haunt the Cards for years to come……

15. By xevinx on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I imagine any talk of trading Skelton would start a riot around here

16. By David Frerker on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Trust me guys Ryan Lindley is the real deal. What has not been reported is the amount of drops. His accuracy issues are a result of a huge amount of drops. You give him receivers and his bro Sampson, have fun stopping him!!

17. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Secret —

RE: QBs

Don’t know. Way too early. Doubt they keep four QBs though.

18. By Rich on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Am I missing something? Do we have a backup center? I know Snyder can play there but we don’t want that. What happens if Sendleing goes down?

19. By Mike the Cardinal fan in San Diego on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Went to all SDSU games last year. This guy is solid. Stands tough in the pocket and is more accurate than his stats, young wide receivers deopped 4 to 5 passes every game. Very accurate in 4th quarter in crunch time.

20. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Rich –

RE: backup center

Why not? Hadnot was basically the backup last year and Snyder is in the same boat.

21. By CreditCard on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

The QB position has greatly improved the past couple years … remember we had a guy named Hall which was marginally inhumane having him play based on his size and athletic ability. We also had soft armed Matti lobbing floaters to the receivers — yikes. We’ve improved, and vastly

22. By AzHusker on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Smart reply! Yes leave it up to the pros to decide who to draft.

23. By AzHusker on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Whisenhunt and Graves are the best improvements/fit for this organization. Slowly but surely this team is turning in the right direction! Many of the last season losses were by 7 pts or less. That is proof now gimme some tapioca pudding

24. By BIG RED on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

John Skelton will break every Cardinal QB records, so why even think of trading him. First to go will be Kevin (wrong way) Kolb. And @andystandsup when did Brian Sipe played for the Cards… it was the Browns he played for.

25. By BigBobDiesel on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Yeah big red, skelton killed it last year when he came in mid game with no gameplan against him, and in the two minute offense when the D was vanilla. I don’t know if Kevin “wrong way” Kolb is the answer, but Skelton is def not the guy.

26. By garrett on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

I know this is totally off topic, but are the Cards thinking about picking up Vontez Burfict?

27. By voncurry8 on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Darren, I would take this pickup as a sign that Max Hall’s days here are done?

28. By BamBam on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Ryan Lindley has an arm on him for the pros. I can probably tell u that. better than throwing passes to college students in his days. Also Kellen Moore could also be a great pick. But I wounder how well he’ll play if he plays for the Cards. But you can just imagin Fitz and Floyd completing either QBs Passes. (John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley & Kellen Moore). Can’t Wait.

29. By Andy Kwong on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Signing another QB was probably the worst decision by the cards. We had 3 opportunities to take Alfonzo Dennard but instead, our team just signed a QB to increase quarterback issues, another Tackle that we don’t need since we already drafted 2, and signed a CB with inconsistency but has the speed. Alfonzo Dennard is an NFL ready player and we missed out on such a big opportunity. New England was definitley smart in picking Alfonzo Dennard. Expect Alfonzo to be a break out player later in the future or possibly if he starts next season, he will play a big impact on the Patriots organization.

30. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

@Andy Kwong,

Assuming Dennard manages to stay out of jail. Kind of a red flag when a kid is moments away from the biggest day of his life and he assaults a cop. With their collection of head cases in the secondary I was really surprised STL didn’t add him to the mix.

31. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

@garrett,

I’m sure you’ve heard by now, he signed with Cincinnati (shocking).

32. By DieselBomb on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

I disagree with the one who thinks Grimm does some sort of magic. There’s just too much to write about that, so I’ll just have to disagree and leave it at that.

I like the physical profile of the SanDiegoState QB, but thought the real late-round QB money was in Kellen Moore. I think Moore’s underrated. He’s small, but effective. It is true, however, that with the performance of the Cardinal’s OLine to-date, Moore would be hard-pressed to perform up to his abilities. I was also interested in Colt Brennan – and still am. But a QB with a physical profile like that of John Skelton is what will be the framework around which a successful NFL QB is built. Not so much the smaller-sized athletes. I’m hoping Skelton can turn the corner this year and pump up his accuracy, speed-up his decision-making, and give him a dependable run-game to off-set the negatives which have lingered over his first two seasons. It’s been quite a rough start for him and he’s been called upon to do some improvising in a manner that’s new to him. But I think he’s capable, overall.

2012 will be the third year for him (2011 being an odd one for everyone); and I hope he can put it together and perform like a complete QB. If not, trade him while there’s some value to be had.

I’m holding more hope for Kolb this coming season. I think Skelton has more of a future as a Cardinal QB, though. If those two have to platoon to give the Cardinals One complete QB performance, so be it. But this ought to be the last year for that approach. The Cardinals need an answer – and they need one right away.

33. By cardsalltheway on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

“Ryan Lindley — a big (6-foot-3, 232-pound) and big-armed passer who struggled with accuracy. One analysis compared him to Derek Anderson. – “But he never completed more than 57 percent of his passes and that dipped to 53 percent this past year.”

That’s funny! Accuracy has been a concern with our QB’s, so what do we do? We waste a 6th round draft choice on a QB with a 53% rating. Aren’t there any college QB’s who can throw more accurately than 53%?

Ryan Lindley was a wasted draft pick, I expressed my dismay as soon as it happened and it seems most fans agree. The Detroit Lions signed a free agent as their 3rd QB(Kellen Moore) but we drafted a 4th QB? Hmmm, Ridiculous! I guess “competition” at linebacker isn’t important?

34. By cardsalltheway on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

On the other hand, with Levi B we just might need 5 QB’s?

35. By Phillyaztec on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

I would suggest that Cards fans take a deep breath, relax, and check Lindley out before buying into the current catch phrases being used to describe him, such as, has accuracy issues. Having watched him all four years on Montezuma Mesa, his senior year, he had a no-experienced-recievers issue. Lindley throws the best long balls you’ll ever see. I used to love watching DeMarco reel them in…

36. By dan on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

He is decent when he doesn’t have to make decisions and just goes to his first read. When he gets pressure, even limited pressure he is pretty bad. Big QBs with quick feet like Skelton are nice because they are not as scared about getting hit as some QBs, in turn are more accurate in pressure situations. Thats how I feel about it.

37. By brown2 on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

I was hoping they would have drafted Nick Foles……..Bummer

38. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

@Phillyaztec,

You mean actually watch him play as opposed to reading a one paragraph blurb about him from someone else who has never seen him play? Careful, you might make people think before they speak…

39. By kkfan on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

As for drafting of another QB look at the Skins who gave up a kings ransom for RG3 and still drafted Counsins too. The thought is that you never know how any of these daft picks ( QB’s especially) are going to turn out.

Looks like the Cards invested in the O line like they should have .No matter the QB they need to be protected. Thats not going to happen unless their is a solid wall infront of them. I hope thiese guys pan out.

I’ still believe Kolb will prove all of his critics wrong. Especially now with a revamped (hopefully) improved O line. I think the fans have been grossly unfair to Kevin given the circumstances of last season. There is no doubt he has to prove himself this season. Good luck Kevin, and good Luck Cards for a winning season.

40. By Jason on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Come on, guys, what is all this love for Skelton!? He was average at best, inconsistent most of the time. Kolb and Skelton both have a lot to prove. We need consistency, and so far, neither of our QBs has been able to show that.

41. By Andy Kwong on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Kolb and Skelton has shown a lot of potential. Including Rich Bartel.

42. By jeffgollin on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Wedige looks like a possible keeper and Bartholomew isn’t chopped liver either.

43. By Brandon on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Kolb had a better passer rating. but passer rating doesnt win games.

44. By Eazy E on May 2, 2012 | Reply

D.A. wasn’t good here, but it wasn’t all his fault. They’re comparing him to D.A. which for him ain’t great because D.A. isn’t consistent except for that great year in cleveland.