Cards grab tackle Massie in the fourth round

Posted by Darren Urban on April 28, 2012 – 10:11 am

So many fans were upset when the Cards didn’t take Ole Miss tackle Bobby Massie with their third round pick, instead taking cornerback Jamell Fleming. But it worked out Saturday morning, because Massie was still on the board when the Cards had their fourth-round pick and the Cards scooped him up. Some thought Massie could go late in the second round, although a lot of the highly-rated tackle slipped to the second round, pushing him lower.

Massie said he wasn’t sure why he dropped and I’m not sure who would be. He didn’t sound thrilled about it — who would be — but wasn’t going to have any regret about coming out early. Certainly, without him setting foot in Tempe yet, Massie has a chance to be a real steal — although everyone says that about fourth-round picks, and sometimes that happens  (Sam Acho) and sometimes it doesn’t (Elton Brown.)

He’s 6-foot-6 and 320 pounds and said he’s been exclusively a right tackle in college. Interestingly, he said his strength is in pass blocking. Will he end up as a starter? He’s got a chance. I’d think this makes Brandon Keith’s return a longshot now, and Massie would have to beat out Jeremy Bridges. Levi Brown looks safe on the left side.

Tags: , , , ,

51 Responses to “Cards grab tackle Massie in the fourth round”

1. By chris on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Mel said he projected Massie as high as late first, early second. Nobody seems to know why he slipped. That scares me. But, a guy we wanted lasting till our next pick a round later, doesn’t suck. Hopefully, lasting this long motivates the young man and we found a good tackle. I have learned to have faith in the cards plans these days after years of misses and borderline incompetence. Good pick, and hope it works out.

2. By Jeremiah on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

This is why you don’t reach for a guy when there is someone on your board ranked higher. Quite simply good players slip, though i was surprised that he made it past Chicago and Washington in the 4th.

3. By Brian on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Everyone can step back from the ledge now, we got our RT. He will have a chip on his shoulder that he fell this far. Not saying he’s an immediate pro bowl player but the kid has lots of potential. Trust the process Cards fans, it’s starting to come together!

4. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Good Value and it makes me feel better. Now Fleming seems like a good pick because he was value in the 3rd a d fits Hortin’s scheme and Massie is great value in 4th. I did a little more homework on Massie and there is some talk that he might not have the motor/work ethic that people want. We shall see but there is a chance he could be starting.

How fickle I feel. Yesterday I went to bed trying to make peace with the picks and finding it hard. Now I feel like the Draft has gone great. Fickle.

That said, now they can look at depth at OLB (some good players there), and saftey. Curious to see if they pick up another OL or if they add a DL or punter or if they will through a curve ball at us:-) Now it gets fun.

5. By Eric G on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

What a steal, he was BPA when we selected in the 3rd and we still got him in the 4th. Outstanding gamble Graves and Whis.

Welcome to AZ Massie

6. By ben on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

think the cards would consider Zebrie Sanders from florida state, as some depth and maybe competition at T.

7. By Kurt on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Great value for a 4th round pick

8. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

First OLineman drafted below the 5th round in 5 years. Congrats Mr. Massie and it’s about time Ken W. and Co.

9. By Steve on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Bobby Massie was the guy I hoped the Cards would get a shot at in the 4rth round and here he is, great pick Cards!

10. By UC,CaseyIsatRaGeDY on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

…and NOW they reach.
    Should have went WR.

11. By AB on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Glad to see him fall to us.

NFL.com has him graded at 85 which in their terms an 85-95 is:

“Immediate Starter”

“1st Round Projection”

“An impact player with the ability/intangibles to become a Pro Bowl player. Expect to start immediately except in a unique situation (i.e. behind a veteran starter).”

————————————

ESPN has him graded as an 87, which I don’t know what that exactly means, but compare it to other ESPN grades on:

Riley Reiff at 93

David DeGastro at 93

Jonathan Martin at 89

Mike Adams at 86

————————————

Interesting to see him fall to the 4th. Maybe a lot of teams saw something or multiple things they didn’t like.

Great pick up and great value for the 4th round.

12. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

May I suggest we hire R. Grimm an assistant:)

13. By Andre on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

WOW….just look at what happens when you stick stringently to your board. You get a stud WR, a physical corner who has good potential to become a #2, and you get an OT that many wanted to spend with the 3rd round pick. Great job Cardinals FO.

14. By Jahstone on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Another 4th round steal! He needs some development with strength and technique so it’s time for Lott and Grimm to shine.

15. By John the Draft Guy on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

What were our needs coming into the draft?
    A #2 WR, an Offensive Tackle, OLB, and CB., ILB

BPA???? Clearly we chose the BPA that filled our NEEDS.

Floyd fills our WR
    Flemming is a huge need at CB, with Toler being a FA next year. Not to mention, when healthy, we needed to upgrade Toler.
    Massie is great value at RT and should have a shot to start on opening day.
    I don’t think any OLBs left can push Schofield. So watch our 5th round pick be an ILB or another OLineman.

Its a good draft filling needs. I would have prefered the passrusher in round 1 and the WR in the 5th.

16. By Rich on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

wow….we got lucky he was still there. Lott will get this kid in shape, this may be a steal.

17. By Steve on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Great pic!!!!! Everyone is barking takle the tackle early !!! this giuy is barely a notch below Reiff and they get him in the 4th round!!!! For all you jackasses who wrote slanderous stuff about ‘the organization’ get a life!!!! You people I imagine are miserable people that LOVE to bitch and moan about everything….This Arizona organization has gotten much better–in fact this Cardinal franchise is probably the best it has ever been.. These people (Graves, Whiz, Bidwell Jr) obviuosly know what there doing…. They cant draft everybody!… And yes some picks dont pan out ,,while some turn out to be steals…. Give the organization your support and let them know that you appreciate there efforts….This NFC division is certainly winnable (dont be fooled a 13-3 SF record –cant get +28 differential every year)…so all you naysayers –who think you have all the answers…get a life!!!!

18. By fink11 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

GREAT PICK!!! Can’t believe he fell to the forth round. Kind of justifies the first 2 picks now. I like what we are doing in this draft. We now just need to get an OLB-pass rush help.

19. By Ricky. on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Any chance the cardinals will pick up Emmanuel acho in the fifth

20. By George on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Getting Massie in the 4th round is a pleasant surprise as far as I’m concerned. The Cardinals did not reach and picked a player that was rated as second round talent. I also like the fact that he was a 3 year starter and played in th SEC. Massie has the potential to be a solid pick in an area of need for the Cardinals. I like the draft so far and hope the Cardinals continue to find good talent.

21. By Jzoully on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I either believe it was going to be Bobby Massie or Zebrie Sanders. Good pick.

22. By AB on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Oh yeah I forgot Cordy Glenn. ESPN graded 91

————————-

Also, Sports Illustrated has Massie,

Projected rounds 1-2

Graded a 3.01 which is:

“3.09 to 2.75 — First-Year Contributor — Prospect that has the ability to make plays from the get-go and start early into his rookie season.”

————————-

The only interesting note I saw was that he only played RT in college, according to SB Nation.

23. By Noah on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Amazing pick! The FO showed great discipline in the third round and still ended up with their guy. This draft is looking like it could be one of the best under Coach Whiz!

24. By shannon robinson on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

All it takes is guts, the courage to stick by your scouts’ evaluations, and a little luck. I’m not that good a poker player but I admire a master when I see one. Good play Mr. Graves – rake in that pot – especially satisfying after all those of us who had weak knees and love to kibbitz. Wow – Bobbie Massie in the Fourth Round! Whod’d a thunk it!

25. By AL on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Nice pick, seems like a good kid who’s willing to work. Definitely makes the 3rd round pick look great too (I already thought it was good).

What just happened is why you should go BPA instead of reaching for needs.

26. By Donttakelosses on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Bravo. Cards get a 1 in 1st.. a 2 in 3rd a 3 in 4th. Well done.

27. By dstock on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Nice!! So everyone complaining about Great picks thus far can settle down a bit….I hope?! I will support this organization regardless of their decisions. Wins do matter yes, however I’m still a Cardinal fan when we lose!!! I believe in the system they have adopted in getting the best players available. How else do you build a great future? Well with great players and confidence in those players and the staff that brings them together. Great job Team AZ I believe in you!! We will take this division back!!

28. By AL on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

UC,CaseyIsatRaGeDY

It’s not a reach if he fell from the second round… Can the Cards do anything right in your eyes?

29. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Al –

RE: UC,Casey/AndyStands

Clearly, you don’t know our commenting friend very well. He was having a little fun with the subject.

30. By John on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

can we expect emmauel acho in the 5th?

31. By JJV on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

BOOYYAAA!!

Snortin Horton is Happy with his new CB

Grimm Reaper happy with his new RT

Wizard Whisenhunt happy with his new WR

Everything else is just going to be icing on the cake

32. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

John –

RE: Acho Deux

You can expect all you want. I’m not sure they do that.

33. By Sir60 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Next pick, if available, Billi Winn of Boise State.

34. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Darren, why’d you blow my cover?

Yes, I put the bottles of pills away after the Massie selection.

35. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I think the reason he slipped is right in front of our eyes, he’s only been a RT. Usually, college teams play their best offensive linemen at left tackle. Look at us, three of our four projected starters played LT in college. However, I think it’s a great pick-up in round 4 and as most have already said, exactly why you shouldn’t reach for a need. I thought he looked pretty solid against top competition in LSU and Alabama.

36. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Glee, Darren has a “commenting friend(s).” Speak for yourself. An attack on “Al.” If only he knew better. Darren showing favorites, how sweet. If you treated us all the same then I’d be fine with such a post, but you don’t. Does “Al” have to accept your friend as his?

37. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Blown cover

Heck, I thought everyone knew your style.

38. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Here We Go…
    R. Massie was a given if we were to believe Ken W. and Co. always goes by “BPA” like they say? Players before him were graded in the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s while only a couple were in the 80’s like R. Massie. So, how will players be ranked as we go along?
    Since we picked R. Massie in the 4th round let’s count how many Linebackers vs. Olinemen are taken until our next pick in the 5th round. It’s looking like many more Linebackers have been taken so maybe we should get a linebacker now? Or, should we honestly go with a “BPA” = Offensive Lineman?
    Given that there will be many more Linebackers chosen compared to Offensive Linemen, I don’t see how a Linebacker could possibly be “BPA”?
    I’ve got _ 3 _ Inside Linebackers AND _ 6 _ Outside Linebackers VS. _ 6 _ O Linemen
    But, don’t be surprised if we take a Running-Back in the 5th round
    4th ROUND
    18/113 Cowboys Wilber, Kyle OLB 6’4″ 249 Wake Forest 60.5
    22/117 49ers (From Lions) Looney, Joe G 6’3″ 309 Wake Forest 69.7
    24/119 Redskins (From Steelers) Robinson, Keenan OLB 6’3″ 242 Texas 68.2
    25/120 Browns (From Broncos) Johnson, James-Michael ILB 6’1″ 241 Nevada 69.0
    30/124 Lions (From 49ers) Lewis, Ronnell OLB 6’1″ 253 Oklahoma 83.5
    34/129 Raiders (Compensatory selection) Burris, Miles OLB 6’2″ 246 San Diego St. 52.2
    36/131 Giants (Compensatory selection) Mosley, Brandon OT 6’5″ 314 Auburn 73.0
    5th ROUND
    3/138 Lions (From Vikings) Whitehead, Tahir OLB 6’1″ 233 Temple 54.2
    5/140 Buccaneers Goode, Najee ILB 6’0″ 244 West Virginia 58.0
    6/141 Redskins Gettis, Adam G 6’2″ 293 Iowa 52.2
    7/142 Jaguars Marshall, Brandon OLB 6’1″ 242 Nevada 54.0
    9/144 Bills Sanders, Zebrie T 6’5″ 320 Florida St. 82.7
    12/147 Bills (From Seahawks) Carder, Tank ILB 6’2″ 236 TCU 53.0
    14/149 Chargers Troutman, Johnnie G 6’4″ 325 Penn St. 54.5
    15/150 Rams (From Bears) Watkins, Rokevious OT 6’4″ 338 South Carolina 56.5

39. By Barry Bond on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

40. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Another OL in round 5, although I think Kelemete projects better as G at the next level.

41. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Kelemete, Senio looks like a good pick(I’d be happy with almost any offensive lineman). And I’d continue to be but since we have 2 picks next round maybe we can find another quality defensive player like David Carter?

42. By Mr.Ramirez on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Good pick. He could be a great right side player.

43. By wsphxcardsfan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I wonder if Darren thinks of us like whining children in the backseat on the long drive to the beach.

44. By johnnybluenose on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

ddaaarrren. are we almost there yet?

45. By AzHusker on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully, Bill “Dollar Bill” Bidwell is no longer calling the shots… We can only hope. I say this because the Cardinals have done something foreign to this organization, listen to the players! Fitzgerald wanted Floyd and his wish was granted, (so far) the player has yet to signed. I happen to be optimistic ever since Wisenhunt was hired this team has made moves in the right direction.

46. By Tucson Cardinal on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Awesome!

BPA is the only way to draft. It builds a core group and is not nearly as expensive as free agency. This a perfect example.

So all of the indignant fans complaining about the Fleming pick can eat their words.

Leave to the pros little boys.

47. By Rufus on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Wow. Massie in the Fourth. What a steal. Everything falls into place for the Cards. Excellent drafting or was it just better to be lucky than good?

48. By William Barry on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Floyd, great pick in first round, great pick in 3rd round, w/J.Fleming…he looks like a really solid player, and get Massie in 4th round–what a steal!!!!! and then picking up the other OL in 5th round…great depth…..Watch out Niners, you are ready for a fall in the NFL West, and Cards will rise to the top this season!!!!GO CARDS!!!!!–WE DID NOT pick up a DL player, but we can get one thru free agency….

49. By AzHusker on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Great concept from Whisenhunt go for the best player not the need of the team and here is why… You are guaranteed one of three scenarios; One you can always make a trade in your favor, Two you upgrade a position on the team, or Three you fill a need of the team.

50. By Eazy E on May 2, 2012 | Reply

I love the pick here, so we got fleming and massie, OK!

51. By William Barry on May 8, 2012 | Reply

@ Barry Bond:

“Welcome to Arizona Massie AND to the new NFC West Champions in 2012! Now who is going to stop us? We now have the BEST dual wide receivers in the NFL and no defense can double team BOTH Fitzgerald & Floyd on the same field, lo! With big Man Massie the first Cardinals team member to gladly welcome him aboard will be Kevin Kolb along with John Shelton. WOW, I can’t wait, I don’t know about you guys but I got my season tickets?????????”

I second this comment…well said. Look out Niners…Cardinals are quickly gaining in the rear view mirror!!!!