Sixth-round pick Bethel’s viral jump

Posted by Darren Urban on April 28, 2012 – 1:19 pm

The Cardinals just took defensive back Justin Bethel from tiny Presbyterian College in South Carolina, a special teams ace (nine blocked kicks in his career, including one against Cal this season, in a game where he also had an interception for a touchdown) who probably will be best known for now for a 60-inch standing jump. The story, straight from Bethel:

During a “strength night” the football team was doing for fans in Clinton, S.C.,  after it was over, there were some volleyball players that had seen Bethel working out and doing box jumps before. They convinced him to try it again for the crowd.

“They just said, ‘Can you do some box jumps? We want to see you jump on something real high,’ ” Bethel said. “My strength coach set up some boxes, something I had gotten close to before. He said, ‘You think you can do this?’ I said, ‘Oh yeah.’ I didn’t even know someone was recording it until later on. My Dad told me he put it on youtube. None of it was planned, how it went viral. I never would have thought in a million years that would happen.”

(Of course, this isn’t new for a Cards’ DB, right A-Dub?)

Tags: , ,

22 Responses to “Sixth-round pick Bethel’s viral jump”

1. By AL on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Wow, I was just watching this the other day and now he’s a Card!

I’m slightly confused by our sixth round picks though. I guess they view this guy as a great special teamer and the QB as someone who can challenge Bartell?

Would have liked to have seen a Pass-rusher but i guess there’s no point reaching to get one that is a 7th round value.

2. By John on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Did I just see a man jump 5 feet in the air?

3. By Paul H on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Jeez, Money Mike and A.J. have their work cut out for them. May the best men win.

4. By Nate on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

d
    a
    a
    n
    n
    n
    g
    g
    g

5. By D on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Trade next year’s 6th and this year’s 7 to go back into the 6th round and grab J Massaquoi OLB!!!!!

6. By cardsalltheway 2 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

yeah, he can jump okay, but I dont like the way he spells his name….

7. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

John –

RE: Jump

Why yes. Yes you did. (Plus a link to A-Dub’s 5+).

8. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

7 corners if you count Butler
    4 FS if you count Johnson as a FS
    4 QB

It seems to me that we spent the 6th round drafting PS squad players. If you are going to take a flyer on someone do it at a position where there is at least a chance they will have an impact. Tim Fuger for example.

Even if Lindley beats out Bartel (unlikely in my opinion) then you spend a pick on a 3rd string QB who you pray never has to see the field. Bethel is not starting-caliber saftey and he would have to be very impressive on ST to make the team over another safety.

I loved the OL picks but am shaking my head about the 6th round.

9. By joe holst on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

goaline rusher?

10. By Wildcard on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

YAy… More strong corners to block for peterson

11. By mike hadzinski on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

i bet A-DUB A LIL SALTY

12. By samir on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Darren in your opinion will Bethel be a corner or saftey i think safety because we have depth at corner?

13. By Darren Urban on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Samir –

RE: Bethel

He’ll play safety mostly.

14. By tb116 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Great draft Cards,Going to be a fun Year…

15. By Scharf on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Mark in Chandler – Usually you don’t see a lot of the 6th and 7th round guys in an actual game. If they are going that far in the draft, they are usually projects. The Cardinals are going with BPA and I like it. Let’s see how these picks ride out and then discuss the positives and negatives.

16. By Barry Bond on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Lets get this straight. Bethel is a special teamer who can jump six feet standing flat feet on the ground? So if he stands behind the D line on field goal attempts he will easily BLOCK field goals, right? That means with arms held up on the standing jump he is about 15 feet above the ground. With that kind of a reach he will be a new kind of play maker. No wonder Whisenhunt drafted him? Bethel will be a 3 point killer against field goal kickers, WOW!

17. By CLSmith on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

All I can say about Bethel is this…..”its a bird, its a plane…….Its Bethel, flying high!
    its going to be an awesome season and I can’t wait to see him in action! Go Cardinals and congratulations to all who have made the team!!!!! Definately a Great draft Card!!!!!

18. By Eazy E on May 2, 2012 | Reply

I thought he was a cb. I love the video, so explosive. He getting talk everywhere now!

19. By Benjamin Bethel on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Justin is my 2nd cousin on my father side and he can compete with anybody on that field…with hard work and dedication he will soon be the best safety! I LOVE YOU CUZZO AND IM RIGHT BESIDE YOU! 5’9 180 WR/CB at Benedict College…watch out for ME!!!! ill be in the league in 3 more years!!!

20. By William Barry on May 8, 2012 | Reply

Bethel will certainly be able to block some kicks!!!

2. Apr 28, 2012: Word From the Birds Blog | On the way out the draft door, some cleanup
  3. Apr 30, 2013: Word From the Birds Blog | Bethel localizes his leap