The fifth belongs to the offensive line

Posted by Darren Urban on April 28, 2012 – 12:07 pm

A round after taking tackle Bobby Massie, the Cards go with Washington offensive lineman Senio Kelemete in the fifth round. Kelemete, 6-foot-3 and 300 pounds, played tackle in college but projects to guard in the NFL. Kelemete was a two-time captain with the Huskies, starting 41 of 45 games and getting on the Pac-12′s second-team all-conference. He only benched 20 times at the Combine (by comparison, new cornerback Jamell Fleming had 23 reps.)

“I see myself at left guard or left tackle,” Kelemete said. “Wherever they need to plug me in.”

He also said his strengths are his attitude, and bringing out the best in the players around him. The scouting reports call him tough and competitive, a guy who will get better with NFL coaching. The Cards needed to inject some youth on the offensive line and have done so with the last couple of picks. They need to be brought along under offensive line coach Russ Grimm and Kelemete seems like an ideal prospect. On the conference call, his voice inflection sounds a lot like the guy he would likely replace on the roster, Deuce Lutui.

UPDATE: Grimm said that indeed, Kelemete is projected as a guard. “It’s nice to know he can move out to tackle if you have to.” He also said the Cards “should” have enough depth. “You always like to have eight or nine you are comfortable putting out there.”

Tags: , ,

27 Responses to “The fifth belongs to the offensive line”

1. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I think I’m glad we chose another OT but why is he wearing knee braces on both knees?

2. By DontTakeLoses on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Kelemete .. about 75 lbs less than Quattro, er, Deuce. Lott needs to push ‘im, our new CB outbenched him at combine? Embarrassing. Go John!!

3. By az1965 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Re: “They need to be brought along under offensive line coach Russ Grimm ”

This really scares me… I expect zero development of these players under Grimm.

4. By Jesse Robles on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Loving the draft, Loved our 2nd rounder too, especially becuase Massie fell right back to us, Can’t be mad. In my opinion, another successfull draft so far for the Arizona Cardinals, GO NINERS and SEAHAWKS! WAY TO PICK!! NFC WEST Champs. Red Sea!! Bring on the Seahawks Week 1!!

5. By Mike Ellingboe on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

@cardsalltheway,

I haven’t looked up his injury history, if there is one, but I’m guessing he wears them to avoid knee injuries (designed to keep the knee from buckling when somebody goes into the side of the knee).

6. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

az1965,
    I agree, I think he needs help. He doesn’t have any as far as I know and he likes to go help or thinks helping Fitz before games is more important, so that means our OL is without a coach sometimes on Sundays?

7. By Mark in Chandler on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Great Pick! 3rd day is making me feel much better.

8. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Wow, John Beck(QB) gets cut upon Kurt Cousins pick.
    Soon, we will be choosing our two picks in the 6th round. Since the 4th Round there has only been 4 Top / ”BPA” Running-backs taken, I say we should consider one? Terrell Davis(Broncos) was taken in the 6th Round as the 196th pick(1995). We’ve got the 177th and 185th picks. I say we go OLB and RB in either order!!!

The Redskins surprise and pick a RB Alfred Morris who is NOT in the Top Ten or below…
    6/173 Redskins (From Vikings) Morris, Alfred RB 5’9″ 219 Florida Atlantic 47.5
    Only the Jaguars are before us now at 6th pick/6th round. Aren’t they stacked at RB? Okay, we’re up, the Jags didn’t pick a RB…
    L. Miller (MIA) X
    R. Turbin (USU) X
    C. Gray (Tx A&M)
    V. Ballard (MSST) X
    E. Baker (MSU)
    C. Polk (WASH)
    T. Ganaway (Baylor)
    C. Rainey (FLA) X
    B. Bolden (MISS)
    F. Whittaker (TEX)

9. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Huh, another CB?
    Cardinals (From Redskins) Bethel, Justin CB 6’0″ 200 Presbyterian 50.5
    So, does that mean our next pick will be graded below 50.5 ???
    I guess so since we always go “BPA”

10. By Trent on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

@cardsalltheway

In college OL is required to wear knee braces

11. By DontTakeLoses on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

chris spielman – cb and ot… the toughest 2 positions in nfl after qb… that if you can play mano y mano at cb or ot… changes how your off and def play.. we drafted 2 of each. bravo cards…

12. By cade carmichael on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

so far so good but we need a QB like kellen moore to compete with john skelton and kevin kolb

13. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

For our probable last 6th Round pick(185th) we gotta be going LineBacker, oh I forgot it’s the “BPA.”
    There is still top notch quality at RB, will we choose one? Ooops, the Chiefs just chose a RB.
    12/182 Chiefs Gray, Cyrus RB 5’10″ 206 Texas A&M 69.7

See my above post on (RB) Cyrus Gray.

I wonder why Cyrus Gray was Graded higher than our last draft choice??? Just like the 49ers
    10/180 (From Panthers) Robinson, Trent FS 5’10″ 195 Michigan St. 68.2

Here We Go,
    It’s our turn to choose the 15th pick of the 6th Round…The Bears did not choose a RB…

14. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

15/185 Cardinals Lindley, Ryan QB 6’3″ 229 San Diego St. 64.0

This has GOT to be the WORST pick EVER other than thinking that Mr. Moxie Hall could do anything. I’d take R. Bartel in a heartbeat. Has this R. Lindley ever thrown a TD pass to Fitz? Darren, I hope you find out which scout(s) wanted this guy? What a waste!!! How depressing, what a downer, roadkill.

15. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Just when anyone might have thought Ken W. and Co. might have something going they go and ruin it??? HA, HA, HA!!!

16. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Okay, so maybe Lindley, Ryan has a hard head? But how or when will we ever know? What will it take for him to beat out R. Bartel? I remember when J. Skelton threw a TD pass and brought the team back to victory in preseason but NEVER got any credit for it? As long as fair is fair then okay, but of course I don’t expect that kind of thing with Ken W. and Co.

What would Ken W. and Co. ever do with more than 7 draft choices? I hope it NEVER happens.

Let’s pick another QB in the 7th Round and then cut Johnny Skelton. Clowns!

Ken W. outta meet with Louis CK, maybe he has a future on the stage?

17. By cardsalltheway on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Trent and Mike Ellingboe,
    If that’s it then I can…sigh of relief.

18. By Nate on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I like this pick, reminds me of the Acho pick. ROFL copter at quatro.

19. By shannon robinson on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

The Cards were one of the first NFL teams to open the door for a now floodgate of polynesians playing throughout the NFL. Vai Sikehema was one of the guttiest players I’ve ever seen field a football. It should be a continuing tradition for the Cards to have at least one polynesian player on the team. This is a great connection into the Utah community. I think he’s Samoan, but I could be wrong. From very small Island populations in Tonga, Samoa, and Fiji they send an inordinate number of athletes into the rugby professional world and now are having the same impact in American football, especially the NFL. They are usually 4×4′s and have strength beyond their size – they all grew up too close to the volcanoes so they have a stubborn, meanstreak that’s almost universal. I’ve coached them for years and love their loyalty, respect, and heart. I miss Deuce but welcome Sino.

20. By Warbird on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

@Cardsalltheway

YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!!!!

21. By Scharf on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

@Cardsalltheway,

You are making absolutely no sense, just trying to grab attention where it isn’t warranted. I mean really? Some of your statements are just weird. “Has this R. Lindley ever thrown a TD pass to Fitz?” How could he? That would be the longest pass in history to have been thrown from Qualcomm Stadium to University of Phoenix Stadium.

22. By Scharf on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

@Cardsalltheway,

I also want to mention – while we are going with “BPA” we also go with positions that make sense. You also have to understand, the Cardinals grade is much different than the NFL grade of a player. The NFL could grade a player at 50, where the Cardinals may see a 67, or vice versa.

23. By Eazy E on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully he realizes his potential here like unfortunately deuce didn’t for whatever reason.

24. By truths4all on May 3, 2012 | Reply

We can only hope Grimm can develop the new linemen with any degree of success instead of how his efforts have not been successful with these past and present Cardinal offensive linemen – Levi Brown, Brandon Keith, Duece Lutui, Elton Brown, Elliot Vallejo, Herman Johnson, Trevor Canfield, and Reggie Wells.

25. By William Barry on May 8, 2012 | Reply

I think the Cardinals did fine with “staying the course” during the draft period—i.e, unlike the Eagles, who got all these wonderful FA’s and draft picks, and they were touted to go to the SuperBowl,(last year) and they were terrible. (and the Cardinals beat the Eagles in Nov of last year, and proved to them who the better team was..) …its not about always getting high priced players, its about finding gems in the draft (as in R. Lindley) who can hopefully develop behind Skelton and Kolb….

2. May 3, 2012: Vilma, Hargrove, Smith, Fujita plan appeal and legal battle | HotAgency.eu
  3. May 3, 2012: PFT: Eli calls Saints’ suspensions ‘the right thing’