Whiz: Floyd was seventh on the board

Posted by Darren Urban on April 30, 2012 – 8:33 pm

Coach Ken Whisenhunt was on NFL Network today and mentioned that wide receiver Michael Floyd was the seventh-rated player on the Cards’ 120 board, and the second-rated receiver (who went unnamed, but it was undoubtedly Justin Blackmon.) Most analysts had six “elite” players at the top of the draft, and assuming the Cards had the same guys — Luck, Richardson, Blackmon, Griffin, Kalil and Claiborne — in the top six, then Floyd was the guy right after and the natural pick at No. 13 overall.

No word on what Floyd was graded. We know Patrick Peterson, the fifth pick last year, was a 90, however. In the end, you figure he had relatively lofty number. And the Cards definitely were happy to have him available.

Tags: ,

32 Responses to “Whiz: Floyd was seventh on the board”

1. By samir on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Darren i read an article saying that if peterson did not lose weight he would be shifted to saftey in a few years because he wont be able to keep up with recievers what do you think?

2. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Samir –

RE: PP at safety

I don’t think that’s an issue right now.

3. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Not being combative, but you really think Whiz would say otherwise?
    I would be curious to see where Riley Reiff and Melvin Ingram fell on that same draftboard; but like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Toostsie Pop…..the world may never know.

4. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

RE: Whiz and board

Why would he lie? What would be the point of that? It’s not like the question was “Where was Floyd on your board?” He offered the info. He didn’t have to.

5. By Cactus jeff on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

How much money would be freed up if Kerry Rhodes were to be released? I’m just connecting the dots. Little cap room, toler, gay, Jefferson and now Flemming, PP has safety size. Nobody could cover Vernon Davis let year at safety….I bet PP could.

6. By John the Draft Guy on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Did you hear the comments made by Corey Chavious about Floyd?

A couple things stood out; He compared him Physically to David Boston.
    He also said he is top heavy and thin ankles, which has lead to his injuries.

I only heard radio guys saying what Corey said, but sounds like he isn’t sold.

Any comment?

7. By brad oneill on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

its a decent pick, its not like the linemen where penciled in as dominating the league for years to come. besides we’ve been there done that.

8. By Martin on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

-Darren
    theirs a rumor that the card brought in, Darron Thomas QB from Oregon do u know anything about that??

9. By Mike Ellingboe on May 1, 2012 | Reply

@Andy,

I had the opposite reaction you had, I found it kind of a brutally honest answer from him. Had he said Floyd was the #1 rated WR on our board I could see your skepticism, since, as Darren noted, most the football watching world had the same guys in the first six places. However, when most the players we may (for arguments sake) have rated higher than Floyd were still available at #13, and we didn’t take them, I see no reason to believe Floyd wasn’t ranked exactly where the Whiz said he was.

Combine that with a lot of the late in the game flip flopping some experts had between Floyd and Blackmon, and I think many would have believed him had he said that Floyd was in our top six.

10. By D on May 1, 2012 | Reply

As long as Coach Horton thinks he can generate a pass rush with the players he has then I am okay with the Floyd pick.

This undrafted G, Blake DeChristopher maybe a steal for AZ. Between he and the kid from Washington plus the two Off tackles, this maybe the deepest the Oline has looked in 15 years. Let’s hope they all can make the team and Grimm can get them to jell together.

I wonder if they really like this QB they took in the 6th round, if they may play Bartell more in preseason to try to trade him for a pick, like what Philly likes to do…

11. By JJV on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I am expecting huge plays from Ryan Williams this year, any updates on his rehab progress and is he expected to be ready for training camp?

12. By Ezz on May 1, 2012 | Reply

AndyStands –

Plus he had the chance to pick both and didn’t. I think that makes it clear that Floyd was rated higher.

13. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Cactus Jeff —

RE: Rhodes

I don’t think he’s go anywhere, but to answer your question, I believe they would save around $5M, depending on the offseason bonuses he is scheduled to get and when they would cut him (his signing bonus responsibility isn’t the Cards because the Jets traded him here.) His salary is $3.5M.

14. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 | Reply

John the Draft Guy —

RE: Chavous/Floyd

I think Corey does his homework — always has — but he is no different than Kiper or Mayock or McShay or any of them. He might be right. He might not be. I’ll be honest, I haven’t seen Floyd’s ankles.

15. By JJP on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Either way it doesn’t really matter, We got Floyd, it was a great pick and Arizona is happy to have him. We will see where he really should have belonged after we win the Super Bowl this year!!!

Speaking of Super Boal and the season, what other major holes (position wise) or things that could hold us back this year from making it again to the super big game?

16. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Martin —

RE: Thomas

I saw the report he would be in as a tryout. The Cards have to bring in some guys on a tryout basis to fill out the rookie minicamp. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

17. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 | Reply

JJV —

RE: Ryan Williams

As I have said many times, he is on schedule with his rehab. Not much else to say right now.

18. By Ditship on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I would take what Whis said about Floyd’s draft board status as truth. Mostly because he did in fact say that they had Floyd ranked as 2nd Best WR on their board. If he was lying he would have said they had Floyd ranked over Blackmon and were excited he fell. There were rumors out there that some teams had Floyd ranked higher.. It could have flown. Instead he was honest about him being ranked second. As for Reiff’s and Ingram’s ranking.. They were ranked lower obviously.. and that’s why they took Floyd. I like the pick.. especially how the rest of the draft ended up unfolding. Really looking forward to this season.

19. By Edjikstra on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I saw Whiz make the same comments on NFL Total Access. It was a short interview, 3-5 minutes.

20. By Mike Ellingboe on May 1, 2012 | Reply

@john the draft guy,

Don’t forgot he was the one who had Seneca Wallace as his fifth-highest rated player, not just QB, in his draft year. Not saying he doesn’t spend a ton of time watching film, but if we all thought Irvin and Jenkins were first round reaches imagine the reaction if Wallace had gone top 5.

I respect Chavous’s knowledge, but will defer to our scouts on this one.

21. By WildCard on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren what do you think of Steve Skelton? Does he have a chance to be the 4th TE over Dray in 2012?

22. By NJAzCardsFan on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren- The last couple of video’s that were posted- Whiz and Whiz/Graves draft recap don’t load properly and at least I can’t view them. Anyone else have this issue?
    Thanks!

23. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 | Reply

WildCard —

RE: SSkelton

I think Steve is a long-shot to make the team. But that’s what the offseason is for, to find a way in.

24. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Video issues

They are working on this end. I haven’t heard from anyone outside having problems.

25. By johnnybluenose on May 1, 2012 | Reply

i was hoping for decastro for our first pick but i do understand the need for a potential playmaker. i really hope floyd is the real deal. castro slipped to pittsburgh at #24 and big ben is very happy to have him. it will be interesting for me to re-visit this in five years and see which player has had the greater impact. i see lineart is off to oakland. he might actually get a chance to play a bit there given palmer’s history of injuries and inconsistent play. not that matty has not been injury prone and inconsistent himself. cannot wait for the season to start.

26. By Ccongrove on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I constantly have problems viewing the videos….

27. By brad oneill on May 1, 2012 | Reply

chicken leg floyd probably wouldnt terrorize the enemy as a nickname but it would make for a lot of interesting posters!

28. By Todd on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Why would we release Rhodes? He has been a very productive safety for us.

29. By Todd on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Ccong, your video problems are most likely a problem on your computer. My guess is you have a slow internet connection so your buffering download is slow and therefore the video would malfunction.

30. By Todd on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Darren any insight on the coaching staff opinion on Dan Williams performance to date? I realize he was hurt alot last year but for a high first round pick as Williams was, he doesn’t seem to get his name called a lot during a game like Dockett or Campbell does.

And on another note speaking of Dockett, is the staff aware of the filthy stuff Dockett tweets daily to his followers. For example today he talked about how relieving his bowels before he leaves his home gives him a great feeling (but he didn’t say relieving his bowels). He also does a lot of filthy swearing. I know he likes his bad boy image but he is a representative of our team and it looks kinda cheesy in my opinion. I know certain top coaches in the league that wouldn’t tolerate that from one of their players.

31. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Todd –

RE: Williams/Dockett

I think they want Williams to up his game. This is a big year for him.

As for Dockett, feel free to not follow him. I understand what he writes isn’t always nice, but these guys are allowed to have lives outside of the league. And it is very easy to avoid what he is writing if you choose.

32. By Eazy E on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Floyd looks great on film and Corey Chavous is pretty intelligent from when I’ve heard him talk about draft prospects and football period, but I disagree with him on that. And why the hell does some cardinal fans want us to cut Kerry? Do you guys/chicks who hating on Kerry realize he had a pro bowl season in his first year with us and last year got injured and still made plays when he played. He will if he’s healthy which he usually is will make his first pro bowl with his boy A-Wil. That was his first handful of games missed in his career, you really can’t control injuries really. He had a couple years with New York that should’ve awarded him a pro bowl selection but didn’t probably because of Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu who are 2 future hall of famers for sure and he is popular, so that tells you all you need to know.