With the undrafteds, the better Devil?

Posted by Darren Urban on April 30, 2012 – 2:14 pm

There was plenty of pre-draft talk about Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict and where he might land (and for those who don’t know, Burfict was the one-time first-round candidate who ended up going undrafted and signing with the Bengals.) But for all of Burfict’s hype, many thought he wasn’t even the best linebacker at ASU. That nod usually went to Colin Parker, who was one of 17 undrafted rookie free agents the Cards came to terms with:

• WR Stanley Arukwe, Troy
  • LB Broderick Binns, Iowa
  • WR LaRon Byrd, Miami
  • G Braeden Clayson, Idaho State
  • FB Jared Crank, Purdue
  • G Blake DeChristopher, Virginia Tech
  • DE Tevita Finau, Utah
  • S Blake Gideon, Texas
  • WR Tre Gray, Richmond
  • LB Marcus McGraw, Houston
  • LB Zach Nash, Sacramento State
  • CB James Nixon, California (Pa.)
  • DE Conrad Obi, Colorado
  • LB Paul Vassallo, Arizona
  • C Scott Wedige, Northern Illinois
  • WR Marc Wilson, St. Anselm

And, of course, Parker from ASU.

The list is heavy on linebackers, not a shock after the team did not draft one this past weekend. The number brings the roster total to 85 86 (since apparently I can’t add 69 and 17), leaving five four spots still open for additions, whether they are veterans or otherwise. Because of the rookie minicamp in two weeks, the Cards will also be bringing in a handful of other young players for tryouts, making sure they have enough bodies to run the practices and taking a looksee at some guys.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

44 Responses to “With the undrafteds, the better Devil?”

1. By Neil B on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Conrad Obi is from University of Colorado ( CU) .. Not colorado state

2. By Eric Y on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Are the Cardinals that confident at the RB position? I don’t know about our health at the positio. Beanie with his knee, Williams with his Knee, La Rod and smith both have back issues dont they? I might be mistaken about th hypen but I know he was tainted with something last year. That might have been a hammy. But still, Surprised we didnt add anything this year. I just feel unsure at the position,

3. By D on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

I bet they will bring in a Kicker and Punter for camp.

Appears with No DE draft pick this weekend, they may think that they can bring back Holliday…which is good.

4. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Neil B —

RE: Obi

Fixed.

5. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Eric Y —

RE: Running backs

Health is health. Unless you are going to cut guys, you have to count on guys staying healthy. If you are so unsure, then you need to get rid of guys.

6. By C on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

I loved Binns’ motor when I saw him play at Iowa. Good off the edge and has good hands. Both he and Parker have a real shot at the roster. Thanks for the info, Darren!

7. By MIKEFLORIO on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

URB!!! We back!! or rather Im back its been a long offseason and look forward to playing devils advocate! hahaha 2012 season is our year!

8. By Andy Kwong on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

I feel that Ryan Lindley was the Quarterback the Cleveland Browns were looking for. Other than that, I don’t think that he should make it the final roster. Bartel trained really hard with the team and deserves a chance to be in the Cards. I feel that Lindley should be traded to the Steelers in return for a Linebacker. Lindley has talent but I believe he should go to another team. Senio Kelemente should be put on the practice squad, I don’t expect him to make it to the final roster either unless this team releases an Offensive Linemen.
    My Predictions on who won’t make it to the Final roster(probably go to PS):
    C Ryan Bartholomew
    DE Ronald Talley
    TE Martell Webb
    RB William Powell
    DT Ricky Lumpkins
    WR Jaymar Johnson
    CB Korey Lindsey
    QB Ryan Lindley
    G Senio Kelemente
    Many of the Undrafted Free Agents as well

9. By John on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Are you disappointed we could not emmanule acho on the team?

10. By Jzoully on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Marcus McGraw will compete with O’Brien Schofield for playing time, the Cardinals made great picks, this is a tremendous free agent pickup

11. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

John —

RE: Emmanuel Acho

Why would I be disappointed?

12. By DontTakeLoses on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Andy: Whiz seemed pretty confident in Kelemente.

13. By Scharf on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

@Andy – I think Kelemente stays on the roster as a back-up. I also think that Lindley impresses and finds room on the roster. I like Bartel, but maybe this Lindley guy is Bartel 2.0.

14. By John Donohue on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

I take the assumption that I am the only Saint Anselm grad that is a season ticket holder. How in the world did they find that guy as a undrafted free agent from a d2 / d3 new Hampshire school with 2400 students….. Unless their is a different st A’s out there……

15. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

John Donahue —

RE: Marc Wilson

I will be honest. I have no idea.

16. By keith on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Eric Y

I think the reason there aren’t any other RB’s invited to training camp is that the Cards are happy with who they have and those players need reps. Get too many players in your not gonna get the reps you need on plays and sometime during the year it will come back to haunt you if you don’t know your plays by heart.

17. By Jzoully on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Andy Kwong

There is obviously some change coming, you say that Bartel deserves a roster spot but last time I checked he went in for one game and still lost it for us. It doesn’t matter if you deserve it, you have to compete for your job, which I believe that Bartel has not battled for his job, Ryan Lindley is a very talented quarterback who might win his job at second string, where Kevin Kolb might be on his way o

18. By cardsalltheway on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

I see you’ve been busy with the roster. Note: Sam Acho ect…and M. Floyd are both rookies?
    My count goes…player from last year + drafted + undrafted free agent = 86 players(according to my count and in that order).
    QB’s = 3 + 1 = 4
    RB’s = 5
    FB’s ~ 1 + 1 = 2
    TE’s = 5
    WR’s ~ 7 + 1 + 4 = 12
    OL ~ 9 + 3 + 3 = 15
    DL ~ 7 + 2 = 9
    LB ~ 9 + 5 = 14
    CB ~ 8 + 1 + 1 = 10
    S ~ 5 + 1 + 1 = 7
    P = 1
    K = 1
    LS = 1
    It appears we’ll be needing more RB’s, especially since one of them will probably be starting out slowly.

19. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Ought to be an interesting fight for roster spots with Richard Bartel (number 2 on his back, but number 1 in third string backup possibilities), Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell easily fighting off the Conrad Obi kid, Patrick Peterson getting the CB spot hands down and the young WRs Laron Byrd and Stanley Arukwe looking to make the roster.
    Personally, I’m hoping the final cuts include RB2D2 and C2P2 (OH! that guy’s good.) and Obi-LaRon- Arukwe. They would be a force the Cards could use.

I think I pulled a muscle on that stretch.

20. By Scott H on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

And now, two more months ( approx ) until training camp starts…I swear, I HATE this part of the calender more and more every year! ARGH! The other major sports seem to go on FOREVER ( hell, baseball is STILL going on when football season is almost half over and hockey is STILL being played in JUNE for crying out loud!!! ) and it seems like about a month after they end, they are starting right back up again. Football? How ‘ bout a SOLID 7 MONTHS between the Super Bowl and the next opening day??? Sigh…but I guess that’s part of what makes the NFL so other-wordly successful – always give the people a little less than they want. It works! Ain’t NOTHING like opening day in the NFL!!!

21. By Andy on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

What is the latest on CC? Did he sighn his franschise tender?

22. By John the Draft Guy on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Andy Kwong,
    Amazing you could make those cuts before they ever take the practice field.

First, G Senio Kelemente will have to be bad not to get a roster spot, It sounds like they are high on him developing.

Second, Ronald Talley is a much better player than most of you think. He played towards the end of the year and could find himself in the rotation. (of course Dockett and Campbell start)

Third, Although Ryan Lindley was a sixth round pick, this guy is worth developing. I think Bartel is as good as he is going to be. With Kolb and Skelton battling it out, there is no need for a journeyman 3rd QB.

Finally, every year in every camp, someone surprises everyone and makes the team. Look at Victor Cruz 2 years ago for the Giants (i’m sure there are many other examples) Everyone loves a longshot. To be honest, I have no idea who it could be, but it would be nice for the Sun Devil Parker to be the guy.

Darrren; On a separate matter. Whiz loved the 2 DBs they drafted because the can play the slot, play outside as a CB and drop back as a safety. His comments lead me to believe this may be the future of DBs in a pass happy league. Question is,With the needed versitility and rule changes about big hits, do you see the guys like ADUB and Rhodes ( who are strickly safeties) becoming dinosaurs in this league? Or do you think there will always be a place for a guy who can light you up and can play in the box? ( I’m an ADUB and Rhodes fan, so not knocking them, just wondering if the evolution of the NFL is passing that type of player by)

23. By brad oneill on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

I think the cardinals may have taken the best player available thing too far this year. There is something to be said for building a team around core group of guys and the constant churning of good people is going to hurt this team eventually, you cant keep throwing away boldin’s, and breastons, and Hightowers just because you grab some potential in the draft or have built a little depth behind him. not to mention what happened to Lienart.

I realize our coach probably went through every nfl season knowing he was on the cut list and it made him better but not everyone is wired that way some very good teams are built around a core. how many guys do we have left from our super bowl team? i think its just Darren and Wolf. ok its not that bad but its getting close.

24. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Andy —

RE: Campbell signing

Not yet.

25. By Darren Urban on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

John the draft guy —

RE: Future of safeties

A friend of mine, Pete Prisco of cbssports.com, believes the future of secondaries will be about four cornerbacks instead of two and two. That makes sense to me. So yes, I could see safeties like Wilson evolving into lighter linebackers.

26. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

Don’t be surprised if more than 3 of these guys make the roster.

Go Cards!!!!!

27. By Mike Ellingboe on May 1, 2012 | Reply

@John Donohue,

Amazing what scouts are able to dig up, I had the same thought when they found Greg Toler.

28. By Mike Ellingboe on May 1, 2012 | Reply

@Darren & John,

Interesting topic of conversation, and for the time being I think you’re correct that we’ll see more CB’s being played/converted to Safeties across the board. However, I do think the NFL’s conversion into the Big 12 will run it’s course in due time, and we’ll see a return to the more traditional style of defense in the near future, especially when the reality of how most CB’s tackle rears it’s ugly head.

29. By Jzoully on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Brad o’nielle your being too dramatic about the super bowl thing, if you to tell me that the league hasn’t changed since our previous super bowl appearance then your wrong, adapt or die, that is what happens…look at the different angles between the Giants and the old style play of the Pittsburgh Steelers, the steelers aren’t a team that usually spreads you with wide out, instead incorporates running to keep the defense even-keel, while the Giants are a pass happy team with Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks…short story is that the team who adapts wins super bowls, the team who dwells in the past dies with the rest of the league

30. By Cardsbeliever on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Parker is interesting, recruited to be a safety for the sun devils, he had little playing time until converting back to his HS position of LB. He then led the team in tackles in 2010 and 2011 and was improving in tackles for a loss and sacks.

Watching the tape, I see him take out a blocker ahead of Vontaze Burfict on multiple occasions, freeing burfict to make the big play.

Smart player, under-rated, not sure If I see him at ILB or OLB.

31. By UK CARD on May 1, 2012 | Reply

“Awesome ALL the need positions!!”

– I was NOT happy with 1st 2 picks on draft day! # I TOTALLY RETRACT MY LAST POST!!! # I am well put in place! What the H do I know about big picture stuff!!! I fell in love with DeCastro! Stupid fan! and after checking out Flemings Stats, WOW! and to still get Massie in 4th!!! AAaawwesommme!!!!!

BPA is Defo the way to go well done Front office!! I now am at the same level of excitement, if not higher! than last years off season!

* Darren 1) – will any of the rookie work outs be open to the masses? Or any other op’s to meet before Flag?

* 2) What happened to Quan Sturdivant? Did he stay on practice squad last season? Will he be back competing this camp?

32. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 | Reply

UK Card —

RE: Questions

1) There will be a Fan Fest practice at University of Phoenix Stadium the evening of June 13. Details to come.

2) Quan is on the roster and will be fighting for a spot.

33. By Javi on May 1, 2012 | Reply

hey darren, so it know looks that the arizona cardinals have adressed many needs that they had except for the defensive tackle position, will the cardinals look into free agency or will they look at their current roster?

34. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Javi —

RE: DT

Between Williams, Carter and Eason, not sure they need to get much deeper.

35. By Steve wilco on May 1, 2012 | Reply

ZACK NASH IS A BEAST. NFL WATCH OUT

36. By AZ Cardinals Rock on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I know you don’t know all the numbers but do you have any idea how we are looking as far as cap space goes?? I am totally pumped about the draft, we got some great picks all the way through. Nate Potter in the 7th round, are you kidding, that was a steal of a pick. I just hope we can sign all the picks we made. if we can then the 49ers better not stumble or they will be chasing us this year.

37. By AZ Cardinals Rock on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Totally unrelated, how is the knee comming along on Ryan Williams?? Totally sucks what happened to him last year. I hope he gets to come buck this season at 100%.

38. By Jx on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Sign Jabar Gaffeny!

39. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Azcardinals rock –

RE: cap space

Sorry, but I don’t know.

40. By Eazy E on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Interesting picks! I don’t too much believe Parker was better than Burfict because you would have heard more from him usually. Burfict is sometimes undisciplined with the personal fouls and in the running lanes but I doubt he ain’t better than Parker.

41. By Storm Byrd on May 4, 2012 | Reply

First off, I find it hilarious that Burfict ended up with the Bengals. It seems like every problem child ends up on their roster at some point or another. Secondly, I’m pretty pumped to see Vassallo on here! BEAR DOWN!

42. By Ragan Smith on May 7, 2012 | Reply

The ASU website states the Cardinals have also signed safety Eddie Elder. Is this the case?

43. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Reagan –

RE: Elder

He is not on the current roster. He might be on a tryout this weekend. But that is not the same as being signed.

44. By William Barry on May 8, 2012 | Reply

I hope Q. Stuvidant makes our roster..If I recall, he got good marks from “Pro Football Weekly” and he could add much needed depth/and pass rushing ability….and if I recall after watching the draft, that one of our signed FA’s (WR from Anselm), was highly rated as a FA by Mel Kiper in the draft. Did you notice this also…GO Cards!!!!